First time all season that the refs really played a role in the loss | Syracusefan.com

First time all season that the refs really played a role in the loss

Cuse_NYC

Starter
As down as some of us are on JAB’s coaching and the team’s play yesterday, the whistle was not the same on both ends. Every single time they went inside, it was a foul. Judah was hit immediately on like the first play after stripping a UM player, and nothing. Sort of had a feeling from that point on, we were going to see true home refs. Not to mention, they weren’t really “big name” guys. Off the top of my head, Edwards got hit a few times in the post, and Judah got hammered going to the hoop towards the end when we were trying to hang on to a slight lead. This one being the most important missed call of the game. Obviously this happens on the road, but so far this season (up until now) I think we have been treated sort of fair.

The same three blind mice from our game last night are reffing the Wake and Clemson game tonight. They’ve put their whistles away tonight. The Kansas State and Kansas game was brutally physical. The entire game saw players just driving with their heads down to the basket. Self called a late timeout just before Wilson hit a long three. Wilson had 38 points already. They never scored on their last two possessions. KS is pretty good.

Just watched KState Kansas. Pretty weak reffing in that too. It must be hard to ref these footballish meatballs playing basketball.
Whistle every play

Eh - first half Miami had almost twice as many fouls as we did. Being aggressive on offense usually gets you calls and they were more aggressive on the boards as well. Anticipating possible responses - attacking the rim while falling down and shooting the ball with your back turned is not seen as aggressive by the stripes.

As down as some of us are on JAB’s coaching and the team’s play yesterday, the whistle was not the same on both ends. Every single time they went inside, it was a foul. Judah was hit immediately on like the first play after stripping a UM player, and nothing. Sort of had a feeling from that point on, we were going to see true home refs. Not to mention, they weren’t really “big name” guys. Off the top of my head, Edwards got hit a few times in the post, and Judah got hammered going to the hoop towards the end when we were trying to hang on to a slight lead. This one being the most important missed call of the game. Obviously this happens on the road, but so far this season (up until now) I think we have been treated sort of fair.
I agree, the first time I thought of refs this season. Jessie got violently bumped 3 or 4 times in the first half while he had the ball and was trying to score. Judah also should have drawn 3 or 4 more fouls. But in the second half, they are calling fouls against us for butterfly wing contact.

Judah was out of control a majority of the game, you’re never going to get a call when you play like that.

Yeah and while Judah gets fouled without calls a lot he needs to recognize that is the reality as a freshman. Many nights it's not gonna happen so you have to adjust.

The Judah non-call may have decided the game
The prevailing 'wisdom' on this forum, context or factual/video evidence notwithstanding, is that officiating never impacts the outcomes of games.

The prevailing 'wisdom' on this forum, context or factual/video evidence notwithstanding, is that officiating never impacts the outcomes of games.
I absolutely agree with you that officiating can decide games, but fans of their own team are the worst possible judges of that. It's like asking a classroom of little kids to self-grade their own tests. "Everyone got 100%? What an incredible coincidence!"

UConn may have been hosed last night, but I laughed about It.
Big time, and ditto on the laughing.

185168BB-D461-4C15-99A0-5447B0A35BE0.jpeg

As an ex high school referee years ago, you quickly learned that there's much more emphasis on consistency than on literally enforcing the "rules" as they are written. Rules "interpretation" becomes the significant issue, and interpretation becomes pretty subjective. The more physical the game is allowed to become the more difficult it will be to maintain a level of consistency. Baseball is the only game where the rule book actually means something in today's world.

Last edited:
Calipari got T'd up tonight for being on the court during play. Replay showed him inside the 3 point arc yet he still kvetched about it.

One of my biggest pet peeves associated with college basketball is coaches who get way out on the floor during active play, while the refs ignore it.

F'iiing hate it.

I absolutely agree with you that officiating can decide games, but fans of their own team are the worst possible judges of that. It's like asking a classroom of little kids to self-grade their own tests. "Everyone got 100%? What an incredible coincidence!"
Precisely.

I've been watching SU hoops intently since 1991, and I believe we're on a 1,000+ game streak where our fans say the officiating was biased against us. It's uncanny, really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom