Fishes and Loaves | Syracusefan.com

Fishes and Loaves

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
With most of the fireworks for the early signing period over, I thought I would take a shot at what the roster looks like for next season.

This is who I have on scholarship for 2023, sorted by position and place on the depth chart.

Projected starters are highlighted.

If there is a blank at a position, it means I think there is an open slot for a transfer or a HS recruit to take. I am holding to the scholarship limit of 85.

IMHO, we have too many DTs and DEs (pretty sure I have never said we have too many DTs; when I do these things, it seems I always feel we do not have enough.

That is driving me to limit slots for some other positions.

But in short, I think we need at least one WR, 2 LBs, and a player in the secondary. Preferably a free safety.

The roster isn't great but given all the turmoil we have been experiencing, it is in pretty darned good shape.

I am assuming Carlos Vetterello is coming back here, which is not a given.

I am assuming LaNorris Sellers does not choose Syracuse on Friday, which is not a given.

I am thinking we are probably going to lose a couple of DL to the portal. Can't see the staff taking so many DL in this class unless some of them are replacing players about to leave.

Some of the young players in the secondary have the talent and size to play several positions. I made semi educated guesses where they will end up in these situations.

OQBGarrett Shrader
OQBJustin Lamson
OQBCarlos Del Rio-Wilson
OQBJaCobian Morgan
ORBLeQuint Allen
ORBJuwaun Price
ORBIke Daniels
ORBMuwaffaq Parkman
OOTEnrique Cruz Jr.
OOTJoe More (Richmond)
OOTJoe Cruz
OOTTrevion Mack
OOTGarth Barclay
OOTJayden Bass
OOTAnthony Red
OOGKalan Ellis
OOGChristopher Bleich
OOGJakob Bradford
OOGLysander Moeolo (JUCO)
OOGWes Hoeh
OOGMark Petry
OOGAustyn Kauhi
OCCarlos Vettorello ??
OCJ'Onre Reed (JUCO)
OCJosh Ilaoa
OTEOronde Gadsden II
OTEDan Villari
OTEMaximilian Mang
OTESteven Mahar Jr.
OTEDavid Clement
OSLOTTrebor Pena
OSLOTD'Marcus Adams
OSLOTBryce Cohoon
OSLOTKendall Long
OOWRDamien Alford
OOWRIsaiah Jones
OOWRUmari Hatcher
OOWRDonovan Brown
OOWR
OPKBrady Denaburg
DDTTerry Lockett
DDTBraylen Ingraham (Alabama)
DDTKevon Darton
DDTRashard Perry
DDTElijah Fuentes-Cundiff
DDTBelizaire Bassette
DDTTy Gordon
DDECaleb Okechukwu
DDEJatius Geer
DDEDenis Jaquez Jr.
DDEChase Simmons
DDEKevin Jobity Jr.
DDEFrancois Nolton Jr.
DDE"David" Omopariola
DDEJalil Smith
DSAMStefon Thompson
DSAMDerek McDonald
DSAMMekhi Mason
DSAM
DMIKEAnwar Sparrow
DMIKEAustin Roon
DMIKEZyian Moultrie-Goddard
DMIKE
DWILLMarlowe Wax
DWILLLeon Lowery
DWILLKadin Bailey
DWILLLonnie Rice (JUCO)
DROVERJustin Barron
DROVERRob Hanna
DROVERJosiah Jeffery
DBSJason Simmons Jr.
DBSJaeden Gould (Nebraska)
DBSBralyn Oliver
DBSMalcolm Folk
DCBIsaiah Johnson
DCBJeremiah Wilson
DCBJayden Bellamy (ND)
DCBGregory Delaine
DCBQuan Peterson
DFSAlijah Clark
DFSAman Greenwood
DFSCornell Perry
DFS
DPJack Stonehouse
DPMaximilian Von Marburg
DLSMike Midkaff or Joey Kelly?

Last edited:
Thanks for putting the work in on this, I’m a visual person so definitely makes it so much easier to grasp.
No problem. I am too.

I am sure a lot will change between now and the first game of the season, but it can be interesting to see where things look right now, based on a bunch of guesses.

No problem. I am too.

I am sure a lot will change between now and the first game of the season, but it can be interesting to see where things look right now, based on a bunch of guesses.
Need 2 WR’s and 2 Safeties and hope Sellers sticks on Friday

With most of the fireworks for the early signing period over, I thought I would take a shot at what the roster looks like for next season.

This is who I have on scholarship for 2023, sorted by position and place on the depth chart.

Projected starters are highlighted.

If there is a blank at a position, it means I think there is an open slot for a transfer or a HS recruit to take. I am holding to the scholarship limit of 85.

IMHO, we have too many DTs and DEs (pretty sure I have never said we have too many DTs; when I do these things, it seems I always feel we do not have enough.

That is driving me to limit slots for some other positions.

But in short, I think we need at least one WR, 2 LBs, and a player in the secondary. Preferably a free safety.

The roster isn't great but given all the turmoil we have been experiencing, it is in pretty darned good shape.

I am assuming Carlos Vetterello is coming back here, which is not a given.

I am assuming LaNorris Sellers does not choose Syracuse on Friday, which is not a given.

I am thinking we are probably going to lose a couple of DL to the portal. Can't see the staff taking so many DL in this class unless some of them are replacing players about to leave.

Some of the young players in the secondary have the talent and size to play several positions. I made semi educated guesses where they will end up in these situations.

OQBGarrett Shrader
OQBJustin Lamson
OQBCarlos Del Rio-Wilson
OQBJaCobian Morgan
ORBLeQuint Allen
ORBJuwaun Price
ORBIke Daniels
ORBMuwaffaq Parkman
OOTEnrique Cruz Jr.
OOTJoe More (Richmond)
OOTJoe Cruz
OOTTrevion Mack
OOTGarth Barclay
OOTJayden Bass
OOTAnthony Red
OOGKalan Ellis
OOGChristopher Bleich
OOGJakob Bradford
OOGLysander Moeolo (JUCO)
OOGWes Hoeh
OOGMark Petry
OOGAustyn Kauhi
OCCarlos Vettorello ??
OCJ'Onre Reed (JUCO)
OCJosh Ilaoa
OTEOronde Gadsden II
OTEDan Villari
OTEMaximilian Mang
OTESteven Mahar Jr.
OTEDavid Clement
OSLOTTrebor Pena
OSLOTD'Marcus Adams
OSLOTBryce Cohoon
OSLOTKendall Long
OOWRDamien Alford
OOWRIsaiah Jones
OOWRUmari Hatcher
OOWRDonovan Brown
OOWR
OPKBrady Denaburg*
DDTTerry Lockett
DDTBraylen Ingraham (Alabama)
DDTKevon Darton
DDTRashard Perry
DDTElijah Fuentes-Cundiff
DDTBelizaire Bassette
DDTTy Gordon
DDECaleb Okechukwu
DDEJatius Geer
DDEDenis Jaquez Jr.
DDEChase Simmons
DDEKevin Jobity Jr.
DDEFrancois Nolton Jr.
DDE"David" Omopariola
DDEJalil Smith
DSAMStefon Thompson
DSAMDerek McDonald
DSAMMekhi Mason
DSAMZyian Moultrie-Goddard
DMIKEMarlowe Wax
DMIKEAustin Roon
DMIKE
DMIKE
DWILLAnwar Sparrow
DWILLLeon Lowery
DWILLKadin Bailey
DWILLLonnie Rice (JUCO)
DROVERJustin Barron
DROVERRob Hanna
DROVERJosiah Jeffery
DBSJason Simmons Jr.
DBSJaeden Gould (Nebraska)
DBSBralyn Oliver
DBSMalcolm Folk
DCBIsaiah Johnson
DCBJeremiah Wilson
DCBGregory Delaine
DCBQuan Peterson
DCBAman Greenwood
DFSAlijah Clark
DFSJayden Bellamy (ND)
DFSCornell Perry
DFS
DPJack Stonehouse
DPMaximilian Von Marburg
Is James Williams the Punter gone?

I am usually a glass half full guy but this looks like we are in trouble. This doesn't look like a ranked team or, perhaps, even a bowl team to me.

A key injury here or there and, unless we have a pleasant surprise or two, we can spiral down pretty quickly. We can pooh pooh the star rankings all we want but we can't keep bringing up the rear in the ACC and expect to succeed.

I am very concerned.

We added the transfer punter from Missouri just after you posted this.

Barclay is listed as a DL on the roster

Some of my position thoughts

Goddard come in at 240 and they project him to backup Wax.

I believe Bellamy is a CB particularly at his size.

I really like our DL depth. I think it’s where it needs to be and some of the incoming guys need to develop a little bit i.e. grow.

Is James Williams the Punter gone?
I think he is still on the roster, and I assume on scholarship but I don't think there is any way we are going to keep 3 players who only punt on scholarship. At least one of them is surely going to be leaving.

We added the transfer punter from Missouri just after you posted this.

Barclay is listed as a DL on the roster

Some of my position thoughts

Goddard come in at 240 and they project him to backup Wax.

I believe Bellamy is a CB particularly at his size.

I really like our DL depth. I think it’s where it needs to be and some of the incoming guys need to develop a little bit i.e. grow.
Barclay was moved to DL as an emergency move. I am assuming it is not going to be a permanent thing but it might prove to be.

We have too many CBs and not enough safeties. At least one of these guys needs to get moved. It might be Greenwood, who got more PT at safety and is probably best suited to play there.

Bolinsky graduates this year so it looks like they will need to pick up a Long Snapper.
They might or they might give the job to one of the walk on long snappers.

Midkiff or Kelly would be my guess.

I am usually a glass half full guy but this looks like we are in trouble. This doesn't look like a ranked team or, perhaps, even a bowl team to me.

A key injury here or there and, unless we have a pleasant surprise or two, we can spiral down pretty quickly. We can pooh pooh the star rankings all we want but we can't keep bringing up the rear in the ACC and expect to succeed.

I am very concerned.
Good thing the non-conference schedule is weak. The tough game is at Purdue with a new HC and new QB.

GT and VT don't do much for me. It's all about stringing together bowl appearances and getting a few guys drafted each year. That's the only way the team can level up over time.

I am very concerned.
It looks largely like this year's team IMO, except the lines will be larger and more experienced. I hear you about injuries, but this year we were a ranked team (objectively) if not for the owies. That's the big question for next year. If we have Shrader and Lamson available, we're in good shape. Next year we'll start earning the interest on the time spent with young guys on the DL who maybe weren't fully ready for the fire.

Barclay was moved to DL as an emergency move. I am assuming it is not going to be a permanent thing but it might prove to be.

We have too many CBs and not enough safeties. At least one of these guys needs to get moved. It might be Greenwood, who got more PT at safety and is probably best suited to play there.

We don’t have enough corners in my opinion. There’s only five listed and we played four regularly this season. Need to be 3 deep there.

Greenwood has played way more safety here than he has corner. (And he hasn’t been very good at either so I don’t expect him to contribute)

The safety position is a bit more interchangeable I think having six listed with three Rovers is adequate Baron and Hanna can both play safety to. three deep at each secondary position is the benchmark imo.

We had 16 players combined including rovers. We have 15 as it stands now with the one missing being at CB.

Last edited:
Sellers is going to sign with us all you glass half empties can...

superman-kneel-before-zod.gif

Tom, cool post -- thank you for taking the time to produce this analysis / summary.

Quick question about your interpretation about needing two more LBs [I do not intend this as a criticism of your post].

By my count [and I recognize that in the portal era, stuff can change] we have Wax, with Thompson returning. Sparrow / Lowery contributed a LOT this year, and McDonald started a good portion of the season after Thompson got injured. That's five right there with extensive experience.

Mekhi Mason and Kadin Bailey were frosh. Inbound Zyian Moultrie-Goddard is the heir apparent at MIKE, and Lonnie Rice was the #2 ranked JUCO LB.

Do we really need two more?

I am very concerned.
I fully agree. Everyone is leaning hard into "highschool recruiting not mattering" anymore and while there is something to that, I don't see how people are convinced of our success next year or for the near future beyond it. Our class is ranked dead last in the conference universally across recruiting services and in the mid 70s-80s in the entire country. Worst class since Shafer's first year (when Marrone left in like January or whatever) and we've invested hundreds of millions into staff and facilities since then.

We lost a ton and replaced it with mostly total unknowns. I don't have the warm and fuzzies a lot of folks are portraying on the board recently. I want to be excited about next season but I'm struggling.

I am very concerned.
Ordinarily, I would be the first to agree with you. However, they added 3 ready-to-play OL which were sorely needed: a true center to replace Vett, a guard and a tackle. They also added likely 2 DT's ready to go (I'm assuming Perry will be ready to contribute). These were the key areas of need. WRs? No - with Jones returning, we are fine. RBs? If the OL really does improve, I could run through it. We even picked up a punter to replace the mess we had.

Ordinarily, I would be the first to agree with you. However, they added 3 ready-to-play OL which were sorely needed: a true center to replace Vett, a guard and a tackle. They also added likely 2 DT's ready to go (I'm assuming Perry will be ready to contribute). These were the key areas of need. WRs? No - with Jones returning, we are fine. RBs? If the OL really does improve, I could run through it. We even picked up a punter to replace the mess we had.

I think people forget that I. Jones was looking good prior to injury. Coach Anae signaled him out as one of the better performing guys. Hoping he gets back to top health.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom