Florida State - SEC Rumblings | Syracusefan.com

Florida State - SEC Rumblings

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
Haven't seen it posted here yet -

There are whispers out there that Florida State is the overwhelming choice of the SEC schools (not necessarily the conference leaders' choice) for #14, and if invited they would absolutely accept the invite.

And as a result, USF would be the ACC's replacement.

FWIW...something to think about, at least...

Where is this USF talk coming from? They absolutely do NOT fit the profile of an ACC University. I know it's important to have a strong presence in Florida, but I can't imagine the ACC going to these lengths to do it.

I have no doubt the SEC wants FSU, and I think FSU will accept, but UConn and Rutgers HAVE to be ahead of USF on the pecking order.

Somebody posted this rumor on their blog a few days ago and it's been bouncing around the internet since then.

USF in the ACC??? Sure. :noidea:

That was one post/blog. There hasn't been anything else that I've seen or heard.

Let's hope this is just another rumor.

My belief is that FSU will stick around a few more years and see how the new ACC shapes up. Just gotta pray everyone is doing a little better by then (especially Pitt and SU).

It is troubling that the Missouri deal isn't getting done. As we saw with Pitt/SU and TCU, the faster these things get done the more likely they are to actually happen. We really need the SEC to fill up with non-ACC schools ASAP. The SEC grabbing one ACC school doesn't hurt too much, but it does open up the conference for more raiding by the B10.

I just get a bad feeling that by the time we're actually playing in the ACC, some of the big schools will be gone. I don't know about you guys, but the conference change will really make me want to do some road tripping.

Where is this USF talk coming from? They absolutely do NOT fit the profile of an ACC University. I know it's important to have a strong presence in Florida, but I can't imagine the ACC going to these lengths to do it.

I have no doubt the SEC wants FSU, and I think FSU will accept, but UConn and Rutgers HAVE to be ahead of USF on the pecking order.

I think the Florida presence is valuable enough for the ACC snobs to have to swallow their academic pride and do what is good for the athletics.

We all know Florida is THE place for football talent, and to lose a powerhouse in that state and replace it with a New England program with little ceiling or a New Jersey program with no winning tradition would be pretty devastating to the football conference, at the very least from a national perception standpoint (which we all know is more important than it probably should be).

USF has tremendous athletic potential in the future (much more so than Rutgers or UConn), and there's no reason to think that with time they can also improve their stature with regard to academics.

Obviously, I'm praying this is all a moot discussion and that Florida State stays put.

I can completely buy into the idea of FSU flirting with the SEC

The thought of a commuter school like USF being viewed as a replacement....no way.

20 mill TWENTY MILL. people... Not going to happen...
Except for the fact that FSU was one of two ACC schools which prevented the buyout number from being 33 mill which is what the other ACC schools wanted. Why would FSU want to vote to keep the number down?

So who cares - ACC still maintains its BCS status...

But we all know how it can snowball.

My biggest fear is a Big 12 resurgence and they taking over as the fourth Power 16 conference in the future.

I agree who cares, still too many good football programs to even consider talk of BCS bid removal, it's a stable conference.

Except for the fact that FSU was one of two ACC schools which prevented the buyout number from being 33 mill which is what the other ACC schools wanted. Why would FSU want to vote to keep the number down?

FSU was being smart. They want to keep their options open. I'm sure they've had informal discussions with the SEC

One thing that no one is talking about is why would FSU (big fish-little pond) want to move to the SEC (medium fish in a shark tank). By making the move, they've instantly made their road to the National Championship 3x more difficult.

FSU was being smart. They want to keep their options open. I'm sure they've had informal discussions with the SEC

One thing that no one is talking about is why would FSU (big fish-little pond) want to move to the SEC (medium fish in a shark tank). By making the move, they've instantly made their road to the National Championship 3x more difficult.

Agree with their OOC and the ACC, run the table and there is there shot at the BCS. I just don't want to lose VT, BC, Maryland, UNC. Pitt, Wake, NC St, UVA, Miami etc etc. We have the makings of the conference of right where Syracuse belongs and stability to boot. Af far as FSU, they belong in the SEC

FSU leaves replace with UConn, Rutgers or USF, I don't care, people we are home, the rest is details, I am sure Clemson and FSU aren't happy with SU and Pitt, they are football factory schools and right are wrong are SEC wannabees in the ACC. The ACC is a basketball conference that will play some pretty damn good football, nothing else to worry about.

But we all know how it can snowball.

My biggest fear is a Big 12 resurgence and they taking over as the fourth Power 16 conference in the future.
I'm starting to turn to the side that thinks we'll end up at a 5x14 situation, but this is a viable fear. A Power 16 setup could go two ways (some areas overlap, but the generalities apply):

1. Two conferences along the east and west coasts (ACC & PAC-16), one northern conference (B1G) and one southern conference (SEC).
  2. One conference along the west coast (PAC-16) and one in the plains, mountains, gulf region (BIG-16). Divide the remaining area east of the Mississippi between north (B1G) and south (SEC).
If it's #1, we're golden. Scenario #2 would require us to get into the B1G before it fills up. The competition would be any ACC teams that don't join the SEC, plus ND & RU.

We all need to move on and get a life - who really cares what happens - any team that leaves the ACC can be replaced.

Yup. I think this more than anything else is what will keep FSU in the ACC.

We all need to move on and get a life - who really cares what happens - any team that leaves the ACC can be replaced.

Ummmmm...Florida State cannot be "replaced".

No chance. Their slot might get filled, but they are the flagship FB program in the ACC. You don't replace that.

IB, I don't know about Clemson, but I'm not so sure that FSU isn't happy with SU. As I recall from 2003, they were very supportive of SU. I also recall that they stepped up and came to the Dome when we were sucking wind for opponents after we were left behind. They didn't have to do that. Since that time, I've been an FSU fan. (And I almost tore up my Carolina card because I thought my school was dead wrong to block us.)

Now, maybe under the present reality 8 years later they feel differently, but I would still believe that it's nothing personal. JMHO.

If the ACC was willing to throw academics out of the equation wouldn't they be looking to add WVU instead?

I have to think at least Rutgers would be ahead of USF in terms of desirability.

Also, IF FSU leaves the ACC for the SEC and academics are no longer an issue... is USF really anymore attractive than UCF? Simliar markets, similar product at this point however UCF seems to have a much larger fanbase (not competing with pro teams) plus would not require 27 months before participation.

One reason why FSU may want the SEC is pride.

Let's face it the SEC is THE place for college football. If you win there, you are legit. FSU certainly views themselves in that class, why not try to prove it?

Another one is recruits. They may run into a lot of recruits saying 'Yeah but, I want to play in the SEC...'

I don't think they will leave, but any self respecting southern football factory would at least entertain the idea of playing in the SEC.