Flynn | Syracusefan.com

Flynn

4pts, 6asts, and 1stl in a loss. The past 3 games his playing time has increased, and he's had at least 5asts in the 3 games. Hopefully he continues to improve.

Nolan Smith came off the bench and played pretty well, though I don't think either guy is in the long term plans for Portland. Talk about a team just playing out the string and hoping for more ping pong balls...yowsa.

Nolan Smith came off the bench and played pretty well, though I don't think either guy is in the long term plans for Portland. Talk about a team just playing out the string and hoping for more ping pong balls...yowsa.
Yeah that's an odd situation. Knowing that you're playing because the team hopes you drop some games to get a guard so they can get rid of you... All Flynn can do it go out and play 20 mpg and get his 6 asst and prove he's a capable backup PG :noidea:

Thabeet even got 13 minutes. If that doesn't say "tank"...I don't know what does.

Portland fans LOVE Jonny, though.
Felton is a servicable PG and you know what you're getting with him- he'll "manage" the game but he's not exactly a difference maker. Unless they find a stud in the draft or a trade, Jonny has a chance to stick.

Where are you seeing this?
Relatives/friends who live in Portland and are BIG Blazers fans.
The general consensus was that they "finally had a true PG" when Jonny came along...at least at first.
Felton had been seen as an offensive liability- was shaky w/ his jumper & not very athletic. Jonny was made for the pick& roll,
which is Portland's bread & butter. The hope was that he could eventually replace the "unathletic" Felton.
Also, if you want to, you can check their SBN forum, oregonlive.com, and some Portland newspapers.

The general consensus was that they "finally had a true PG" when Jonny came along...at least at first.
Felton had been seen as an offensive liability- was shaky w/ his jumper & not very athletic. Jonny was made for the pick& roll,
which is Portland's bread & butter. The hope was that he could eventually replace the "unathletic" Felton.
Also, if you want to, you can check their SBN forum, oregonlive.com, and some Portland newspapers.
Blazers fans are quite the fans... Kind of like us in Syracuse... The Blazers are all they got. No MLB, no NFL, just the Blazers. Too bad they picked Greg Oden, and too bad Brandon Roy had bad luck also.

Portland cleaned shop of the Jailblazers and now they can't catch a break. Everyone ends up hurt or with some malfunction. This team is due for some good fortune.

As it happens, I went to the BlazersEdge blog a couple of times last week and didn't see anything remotely resembling "LOVE" for Jonny Flynn. A little "like" here and there, and nowhere near the hate he drew from Rockets fans . . . yet.

Here's a pretty dismal take from a Blazer TV analyst, who thinks the only reason Flynn and Nolan Smith are playing is because the Blazers are purposely tanking to improve their draft position:
Well, I'm still pretty tired of watching Felton dribble the ball off his foot late in games, but by now I'm not all that certain I'm anxious to see the team bench Felton so that Nolan Smith and Jonny Flynn can play.

I feel as if I've already seen enough of Flynn and Smith by now to know their worth. Frankly, I'm pretty doubtful that either one is a starting point guard in the NBA. Smith looks much more like an off-guard, or a combo guard, at best who is not very skilled at making plays for others. Creative, he's not.

Flynn, well, he's a point guard but over the last few games he's really shown no signs that he's got the skills to lead a team in a starting role. He doesn't shoot well, looks for his shot a little too often and is out of control sometimes. And it doesn't appear he can defend, either.

Felton, sad to say, is the team's best point guard.

One thing is amazing...these college stars so quickly become "trash" in the NBA. Ray Felton and Jonny Flynn are discussed like guys who just simply don't matter anymore. It's gotta be such a blow to the ego to get dropped down a few pegs in the pros. It's not for the meek.

As it happens, I went to the BlazersEdge blog a couple of times last week and didn't see anything remotely resembling "LOVE" for Jonny Flynn. A little "like" here and there, and nowhere near the hate he drew from Rockets fans . . . yet.

Here's a pretty dismal take from a Blazer TV analyst, who thinks the only reason Flynn and Nolan Smith are playing is because the Blazers are purposely tanking to improve their draft position:
Granted, the "love" I mentioned might have been more because he WASN'T Raymond Felton, who they were pretty much sick of out there. Most of my peeps felt that way.
I still hold out hope that Jonny shows more than just "back-up/mop-up" talent in Portland.
Right now the Blazers might be his last legitimate shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom