Football attendance...trending up for us.. | Syracusefan.com

Football attendance...trending up for us..

Jake

Mod
by about 1,100 / game last year. Not awful considering the trend nationwide is the other direction.

It's still awful (just under 34k/game) IMHO...but nice to see it moving in the right direction for a change.

Perspective?? That land grant state school to our east that was supposed to surpass us and who's hoops program has 4 NCs? ?? Their Combined hoops and FB averages less than 29k/ game.

Fair weather fans are everywhere.

by about 1,100 / game last year. Not awful considering the trend nationwide is the other direction.

It's still awful (just under 34k/game) IMHO...but nice to see it moving in the right direction for a change.

Perspective?? That land grant state school to our east that was supposed to surpass us and who's hoops program has 4 NCs? ?? Their Combined hoops and FB averages less than 29k/ game.

Fair weather fans are everywhere.
I object to the characterization that these are Fair Weather Fans. It's not like being a devout believer having to attend the weekly service under the threat of burning in Hell. Or being a southerner who regards Fball as religion. It's about choosing where to spend your entertainment dollar. If the team sucks, then spend your hard-earned dollar elsewhere.

I object to the characterization that these are Fair Weather Fans. It's not like being a devout believer having to attend the weekly service under the threat of burning in Hell. Or being a southerner who regards Fball as religion. It's about choosing where to spend your entertainment dollar. If the team sucks, then spend your hard-earned dollar elsewhere.

It also has something to do with where technology is these days. Sure, one could argue if we were a perennial power we wouldn't have attendance issues, but that's not us right now. If you have a bad or mediocre product on the field and there are other big games on that day, fans can just multi task at home and take it all in.

Not awful...

It's still awful ...

Yep, that's the last couple decades of Syracuse football in a nutshell.

Anyway, regarding the broader decline, the conferences are way behind and need to get their arms around pace of play immediately or this will continue.

They can't expect people to spend money to piss away fall afternoons in a stadium and sit through a four-minute break in play every few minutes while the neighbors are getting more highlights/replays on giant TVs for free in the comfort of their own homes.

Isn't that the exact definition of a fair weather fan? If you're a rabid fan, nothing other than hell or high water keeps you away from the Dome. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

Realignment is probably finally impacting attendance. Removing geographical rivals was a bad idea with the conference juggling. In our lifetime I would bet when the NCAA finally goes away, the money pooled together throughout the big teams will allow for reasonable geographical conferences again. May be 30 years away but that's my theory anyway.

Yep, that's the last couple decades of Syracuse football in a nutshell.

Anyway, regarding the broader decline, the conferences are way behind and need to get their arms around pace of play immediately or this will continue.

They can't expect people to spend money to piss away fall afternoons in a stadium and sit through a four-minute break in play every few minutes while the neighbors are getting more highlights/replays on giant TVs for free in the comfort of their own homes.

I agree with the premise, but if we have an exciting 7-9 win team, it wouldn't be considered pissing away a fall afternoon. It would be the way to spend a fall afternoon.

use the Big TVs screens in the Dome to make it feel more like home.

I agree with the premise, but if we have an exciting 7-9 win team, it wouldn't be considered pissing away a fall afternoon. It would be the way to spend a fall afternoon.

I truly wonder. But I can't wait to find out!

EDIT: actually, I don't want to find out. Let's have the 9-win seasons with 3 or 3.5-hour games that flow smoothly. The second part is actually controllable and achievable for every team.

Isn't that the exact definition of a fair weather fan? If you're a rabid fan, nothing other than hell or high water keeps you away from the Dome. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

You hit that hanging curveball about 20 rows deep. Well done!

My family is in for 4 seasons passes for the first time ever. (Commuting from Philly for each home game)

I am starting a tradition as my family could never afford it growing up, we did 1 game, every other year as a “treat” in the 90’s.
Considering doing the same from CT -- realistically cant make many games but would likely just sell tickets or give them away. I should know the answer but who's the best person to reach out to in the AD if I want to see about donations / getting decent seats?

Should continue this year

I agree. I think if we make a bowl this year, the attendance will see a real bump in 2019 season tickets. I think 2019 is lining up as the breakthrough year.

Realignment is probably finally impacting attendance. Removing geographical rivals was a bad idea with the conference juggling. In our lifetime I would bet when the NCAA finally goes away, the money pooled together throughout the big teams will allow for reasonable geographical conferences again. May be 30 years away but that's my theory anyway.

This is true, too. It makes so much sense for the ACC to realign the conference to get most of the old Big East schools back together in one division. It will really, really help attendance, in my opinion.

And it would make for a more realistic path to bowl games, not to have Florida State and Clemson in our division. I could deal with Louisville, Miami and Virginia Tech. Still tough teams, but beatable.

I don't care what the big game of the day is on TV. Be it OSU-Michigan, or the World's Largest Cocktail Party between UGA and UF, there's no place I'd rather be than in the Dome watching my beloved Cuse. Not to mention I drive 4.5 hours to do it. Am I in the minority? Yes. Am I a glutton for punishment? Probably. Am I a bit off in the head? Absolutely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom