For all the angry transfer portal guys, what is realistic for | Syracusefan.com

For all the angry transfer portal guys, what is realistic for

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Dino to come up with? a DT or two, maybe a WR, a O Tackle and maybe another QB that can make plays outside the pocket?

So 4-5 guys total? Is that realistic? Include JUCOS in here as well. Personally I think QB and DT is what we need so 2-3 guys.

POUND THE PORTAL!!! POUND IT!!!

I think I say this every year. Just like recruiting, the Transfer Portal isn't a magical cure all. A transfer could turn out like an AET or a Koda Martin, or it could turn out like a Ryan Alexander or a Drew Allen.

IMO, 4-5 guys is a stretch, especially for all of them to contribute. With the new transfer rule, this could of course be wrong, as we don't know what the market is going to look like yet and if it's going to be more crowded. But a QB might be the most realistic get, as the transfer market most benefits the "one player" positions. Quality DTs are so rare anyway that a transfer might not be something to hold onto hope for. No idea about WRs or OTs.

This years portal might be deflated due to Covid-19 and related issues. Might just be easier to stay put.

Or not? Will be interesting.

I think this year will be different given the NCAA 1 time transfer without penalty. I think there is the potential to add more talent, whether everything falls the right way for that to happen is another story.

We need the spots open but talent in the portal will be higher. The extra year will make the universe larger. More players will get displaced by the powerhouses. We can say that going heavy on transfers is no guarantee...but standing pat can’t possibly be seen as better than educated guesses with players who have lots of film. Take whoever we can.

I think I say this every year. Just like recruiting, the Transfer Portal isn't a magical cure all. A transfer could turn out like an AET or a Koda Martin, or it could turn out like a Ryan Alexander or a Drew Allen.

IMO, 4-5 guys is a stretch, especially for all of them to contribute. With the new transfer rule, this could of course be wrong, as we don't know what the market is going to look like yet and if it's going to be more crowded. But a QB might be the most realistic get, as the transfer market most benefits the "one player" positions. Quality DTs are so rare anyway that a transfer might not be something to hold onto hope for. No idea about WRs or OTs.

Honestly, I think DT is only critical spot as long as we can have more normal off season. Sure if you can find right QB between a 5th year senior and 3 frosh, then sure.

Honestly, I think DT is only critical spot as long as we can have more normal off season. Sure if you can find right QB between a 5th year senior and 3 frosh, then sure.
I agree DT is critical, but you said realistic.

Agree.

If there is a potential impact WR out there, that would be a good add. Thing is Gadsden, Hatcher, or Long could already be that guy.

If there is a Tiller or Martin out there, grab him.

Dino to come up with? a DT or two, maybe a WR, a O Tackle and maybe another QB that can make plays outside the pocket?

So 4-5 guys total? Is that realistic? Include JUCOS in here as well. Personally I think QB and DT is what we need so 2-3 guys.

POUND THE PORTAL!!! POUND IT!!!

"Angry transfer portal guys..." sounds like a great name for a WHAM! cover band.

I hope Dino can add 1-2 legit sized DTs who can eat blocks and stay healthy. An OT would be good if Servais is gone, but I don't think mandatory.

I don't think portal QBs are going to yield more talent than Tommy given the recent subpar OL performances.

I expect Dino to weigh personality fit with talent as bringing in a number of transfers to a new locker room in a pivotal year could blow up in his face.

the transfers still count towards the 25 limit though dont they? so we only have room for like 4 anyway?

Agree.

If there is a potential impact WR out there, that would be a good add. Thing is Gadsden, Hatcher, or Long could already be that guy.

If there is a Tiller or Martin out there, grab him.

yeah depends on the market for sure.

I don't get the current infatuation with the portal. Syracuse is a difficult place to recruit players to in general. I am baffled by the belief that quality players, especially from elite programs, can be suddenly lured to play for a team in a two-season free fall when better opportunities surely exist at programs that easily out recruit us to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I want all sorts of unicorn players to transfer in yesterday, but I just think anyone relying on the portal to fix our woes- many of which extend to the locker room and the coaching staff- is in for bitter disappointment.

I'd like to see a DT, Center and a Soph or Jr type QB with starting potential - a kid who can be the immediate #2 and back up DeVito.

What is realistic and what we'll actually see I have no idea. Looks like we've kicked the tires on at least 1 quarterback, a JUCO OT and an ATH HS kid who recently decommitted from USC.

As upperdeck mentions the 'numbers' have all changed and it's much harder now to bring in more than 25 kids.

Last edited:
I don't get the current infatuation with the portal. Syracuse is a difficult place to recruit players to in general. I am baffled by the belief that quality players, especially from elite programs, can be suddenly lured to play for a team in a two-season free fall when better opportunities surely exist at programs that easily out recruit us to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I want all sorts of unicorn players to transfer in yesterday, but I just think anyone relying on the portal to fix our woes- many of which extend to the locker room and the coaching staff- is in for bitter disappointment.
That's my opinion also. If the transfer is good, he's going to be getting better options than a last place team. Its seems that some think we can wave our magic wand and sign quality linemen. Hope I'm wrong but this thinking is unrealistic.

This team has a lot of experience and underclassmen returning, but a gapping few holes - slot receiver, QB, size and experience in at least 1 safety spot, DL. It isn’t too much to expect portal help to improve in these spots. Something at least along the lines of what Dino has already done (Rodney, Bleich, Martin, Triston Jackson or AET, Davis at TE in Dino’s first year). Or better because the portal is a bigger thing now.
What they can do in the next 2 or 3 months is a big test for this staff’s ability to field a winner.

tristin Jackson, Koda Martin, AET, say hello

you aren’t going to turnover 15 roster spots, but you can definitely make targeted impact adds,

dino has done it almost every year

DL, OL, QB

I’m not optimistic we’ll land anyone of consequence but I’m hoping for the best.

Not sure about landing that impact QB, but the other two for sure. DT is a big need -- and then grab the best interior OL you can via transfer.

To me there are kinda four dudes that end up in the portal:

Dudes that can see that they're buried on the depth chart where they are. I think our hope is that there are bigger programs with really talented guys riding pine that see us as an opportunity to play.

Dudes that due to some change in their program (coach, scheme, whatever) no longer fit what's going on and are trying to find a place that matches up better with the role they can play.

Dudes that are actually pretty good and have shown to some extent what they can do at this level, but think there's a chance for more elsewhere. You see a lot of grad transfers in this bucket. More could be a bunch of different things - masters degree options, exposure, chance to play closer to home, chance to be with a more winning/reputable program, etc.

Dudes that are disgruntled and looking for a change of scenery.

Last edited:
Another thing I think I say every year, and this is something that I realized after bnoro said it.

Dominant DTs are the most rare commodities in college football. For one to both end up in the transfer portal and to end up at Syracuse is a tall ask.
Good news is I don't think we need a dominant one, just one suited for the role. You really gotta squint when looking at the current roster to feel like you can see someone that will work out there, as of right now (unless we get Bear for another year).

To me there are kinda four dudes that end up in the portal:

Dudes that can see that they're buried on the depth chart where they are. I think our hope is that there are bigger programs with really talented guys rising pine that see us as an opportunity to play.

Dudes that due to some change in their program (coach, scheme, whatever) no longer fit what's going on and are trying to find a place that matches up better with the role they can play.

Dudes that are actually pretty good and have shown to some extent what they can do at this level, but think there's a chance for more elsewhere. You see a lot of grad transfers in this bucket. More could be a bunch of different things - masters degree options, exposure, chance to play closer to home, chance to be with a more winning/reputable program, etc.

Dudes that are disgruntled and looking for a change of scenery.

And Dudes that want to end their college careers with a winning team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom