Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
-8d8c22ef9369a999.JPG

Welcome to Newpaper Columnists' Day!

Gone but not forgotten

The National Society of Newspaper Columnists, which was founded in 1977, sponsors and promotes National Columnists’ Day annually on April 18. On this same day in 194, Pulitzer Prize-winning war correspondent, Ernie Pyle, died while on assignment in Okinawa, Japan. If you would like to learn more about National Columnists’ Day or Ernie Pyle, visit (National Columnists’ Day – April 18).

There are over 1,500 national days. Don’t miss a single one. Celebrate Every Day with National Day Calendar!

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Bryce Golden trims list, Joseph Girard III gets visit (itlh.com; Adler)

Some encouraging news on the recruiting front, as Bryce Golden cuts his choices and Joseph Girard III meets with Syracuse basketball coaches.

Man, this offseason for the Orange basketball bunch has proven anything but dull.

The 2018 NCAA Tournament ended about two weeks ago, and I figured that would give me a little break from the fantastic chaos that is the college-basketball season.

Nope.

Recruiting developments have come on basically a daily basis since March Madness concluded, and I’m totally fine with that.

The latest juice involves 2018 power forward Bryce Golden and 2019 combo guard Joseph Girard III.

Golden, a former Pittsburgh commit who traveled to Central New York over the weekend for a visit, has named a final four of Butler, the ‘Cuse, Georgetown and Illinois, per Corey Evans, an analyst at .

This eliminates Connecticut and Wichita State from contention. I have zero inside information on Golden, however, my gut tells me that Syracuse has an excellent shot at landing his services.

On the 247Sports Web site as of Monday morning, I counted five industry experts who have made prognostications on where Golden will end up, with 100 percent of them picking SU.

AR-180419575.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

ACC Commissioner Swofford expects ‘substantive’ findings from Rice committee (theoakland.com; Mccreary)

Atlantic Coast Conference Commissioner John Swofford says he expects “substantive” recommendations from the committee seeking ways to reform college basketball amid a federal investigation of corruption in the sport.

Speaking Tuesday at a regional Associated Press Sports Editors meeting, Swofford said he doesn’t know what the commission led by former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice will conclude next week when it is expected to present its report to the Division I Board of Directors and Board of Governors.

Swofford said it is “hard to argue against the need for substantive change.”

Southeastern Conference Commissioner Greg Sankey, speaking at a similar meeting in Birmingham, Alabama, on Monday, hopes for an “impactful outcome” when Rice’s committee releases its recommendations.

The FBI’s corruption probe led to criminal charges against assistant coaches, agents, apparel company employees and others. The Justice Department arrested 10 people, including four assistant coaches from Arizona, Southern California, Auburn and Oklahoma State, in a case tied to hundreds of thousands of dollars in alleged bribes and kickbacks designed to influence recruits on choosing a school or an agent.

NC State's Randy Woodson, Debbie Yow release statements on FBI investigation

N.C. State Chancellor Randy Woodson issued a statement Tuesday about the federal investigation into college basketball, saying the university has been fully cooperative and disclosing a timeline of the university's actions.
Woodson said the university has worked to "responsibly and proactively search for, and when identified, report relevant information."
An unidentified NCSU basketball coach is alleged to have received $40,000 from an unidentified adidas consultant to deliver to the parent of a Wolfpack basketball recruit, according to a federal indictment. The unnamed recruit is believed to be Dennis Smith Jr., a point guard who played one season under former coach Mark Gottfried. Smith was heavily recruited by Gottfried and former N.C. State assistant coach Orlando Early.

Read more here: NC State's Randy Woodson, Debbie Yow release statements on FBI investigation

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom