Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Mushroom-Day.jpg

Welcome to National Mushroom Day!

National Mushroom Month is celebrated each year throughout the month of September. During the time, the U.S. Department of Agriculture takes advantage of the opportunity to educate people on the versatility mushrooms offer, including health benefits. As a result, mushrooms are gaining more and more appreciation as we learn more about them.

In order to fully celebrate the heritage of mushrooms, we must first learn about the Mushroom Capital of the World. Located just outside Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, you will find a small town known as Kennett Square. Surprisingly, this small Pennsylvanian town produces over a million pounds of mushrooms a day. Each year Kennett Square holds the annual Mushroom Festival starting with a parade. Visitors can enjoy tours of mushroom farms or visit vendors to buy food and other goods.

SU News

1019027508.jpg.0.jpg

Duke Recruiting: Girard Picks Syracuse (dukebasketballreport.com; King)

Duke recruited Joe Girard hard but will see him at Syracuse instead as the sharpshooter from upstate New York has picked Syracuse. He told Syracuse.com this about his decision:

“I could’ve fit in at every school and I could’ve thrived at every school,’’ he said, “but what it came down to was being most comfortable with coach (Jim) Boeheim and coach Gerry McNamara and the rest of the staff and the players. I have a few friends on the team. Coach Boeheim and coach McNamara have been on me for a while now, so I felt most comfortable with them.’’

101418_GirardJosephIII_EM-21.jpg

Joseph Girard III announces his commitment to Syracuse University (dailygazette.com; photo gallery; Miller)

Recruiting Roundup: Girard commits to Syracuse; Stewart takes official visit - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Watch out for Aidan Tooker after a great NCAA Pre-Nationals race. On to today’s recruiting links…

2019 Glens Falls (NY) guard Joe Girard IIIcommitted to Syracuse on Sunday night, picking the Orange over finalists Boston College, Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State. Girard is listed as a three-star recruit by 247 Sports and is ranked 196th in his class. “What it came down to was being most comfortable with coach (Jim) Boeheim and coach Gerry McNamara and the rest of the staff and the players,” Girard told Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters.

Girard was a teammate of fellow 2019 recruit Isaiah Stewart with the Albany City Rocks. Stewart has gone on to become a top 5 recruit in his class, and has been pursued by a variety of different schools that include Kentucky, Washington, Duke and Michigan State. After Girard committed to Syracuse, he tweeted at Stewart, telling Stewart to not “keep me waiting.” The timing couldn’t be better, as Stewart took an official visit to Syracuse over the weekend a couple of weeks after a visit to Kentucky went very poorly.

Shortly after hosting Stewart on Saturday, Boeheim was on the road on Sunday to visit 2019 four-star wing Quincy Guerrier according to Stock Risers’ Jake Weingarten. Guerrier recently listed a top three that includes Syracuse, Illinois and Oregon. He expects to make a decision before the end of the month.

Joe Girard III will add firepower at Syracuse, could help land Isaiah Stewart (usatodayhss.com; Jordan)

To say that Syracuse has added firepower to its backcourt for the 2019-20 season would be a major understatement; Glen Falls (NY.) guard Joe Girard III committed to the Orangemen Sunday night.

Girard, who was named ALL-USA Player of the Year in New York, picked Syracuse over Boston College, Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State.

'I'm staying home': Glens Falls hoops star Joe Girard selects Syracuse (timesunion.com; Allen)

Six schools were whittled down to one.

Sunday night, in front of a packed audience at the Queensbury Hotel, Joseph Girard III delighted the gathering when the 6-foot-2 senior point guard from Glens Falls selected Syracuse University to play his Division I college basketball.

The nod went to Syracuse because of its proximity to home, the chance to play for Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim and the strong interest the Orange poured into landing Girard — the state's all-time leading scorer with 3,306 career points with one season remaining.

As a junior, Girard averaged 50 points per game. The three-time Times Union Small School Boys' Basketball Player of the Year garnered the state's Gatorade Player of the Year award.

In June, the Times Union named Girard its 2017-18 Male Athlete of the Year.

Other

867_brianslanding3.jpeg

On the hunt for CNY's best steak: Brian's Landing at Green Lakes (PS; Pucci)

Brian's Landing

You could get to the restaurant from the back way off Route 5, but since vehicle fee collection is over for the season, we opted to take the long, meandering drive through Green Lakes State Park, flanked on either side by trees spotted with fiery shades of yellow, red and orange, to Brian's Landing.
Address: 5648 Green Lakes Park Drive, Fayetteville.

Brian's Landing serves lunch, dinner and Sunday brunch. The dinner menu offers an expansive selection of burgers, sandwiches, pasta, chops and seafood, but on this night, there was only one choice.

The steak ($25.95) is a New York strip--listed at 12 ounces, but seemed larger--topped with sauteed sliced portobello mushrooms, a sherry vinaigrette and Parmesan cheese broiled into a savory crust. It's served atop raw baby spinach alongside herb roasted potatoes.

We were all impressed by the tenderness of our steaks--even more so considering that NY strips can sometimes be prone to toughness. Judge Lynda Foster suspected it was USDA Prime quality beef, the highest grade of beef noted for its superior marbling.

I'm always skeptical of topped steaks--what are they hiding?!--but a quick peek under the mushrooms and crispy cheese revealed a nicely grilled steak with a defined cross-hatch char.

hope wes has a successful year in new orleans. it's a contract year for him.