Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
ohafirst-traffic-light-james-and-no-state-st---west-shore-rr-crossing-alhambra-aug-1924jpg-a071feb5a9c98909.jpg

Welcome to International Traffic Light Day!

By 1914, there were more automobiles on the road than ever, and they were still sharing the streets with streetcars, horse carriages, merchant carts, and more. There was a need for regulations to make sure traffic moved smoothly and that accidents would decrease. At the time, traffic was controlled by the police. But traffic lights were about to come along and make road navigation easier, safer, and more efficient.

On August 5, 1914, what is considered to be the first electric traffic light was installed in Cleveland, Ohio, at the corner of East 105th Street and Euclid Avenue. It had four pairs of red and green lights, one for each side of the intersection, and a warning buzzer that indicated when the light was about to change. It had to be operated manually by someone in a nearby booth. It was based on a design by James Hoge. He had previously applied for a patent for a "Municipal Traffic Control System," and his patent—#1,251,666—was approved in 1918. The Cleveland Automobile Club thought that their new traffic light might revolutionize the handling of traffic in crowded cities.

SU News

FLJ7F5GMEVGG5BRABBRINTJEBQ.jpg

https://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/2019/08/robert-braswells-versatility-bigger-body-could-help-syracuse-basketball-hes-in-the-mix.html (PS; Ditota)

Robert Braswell has always been one of those guys. Forever labeled the “skinny kid,” he would eat and work out and hope the alchemy of calories and conditioning would result in a bigger version of himself.

Alas, that never seemed to happen.

“That’s how it’s been all my life,” the Syracuse basketball forward said Wednesday. “I don’t know. I worked out. I just didn’t get bigger.”

But over the past few months, Braswell has witnessed an encouraging script deviation. The sophomore said he gained “10 to 12 pounds” since last season ended. He is 6-foot-9 and now weighs 195.

And as Syracuse prepares to play a series of four games in Italy, its coaches have noticed Braswell’s improvement.

“For the first couple practices he’s really stood out,” said SU assistant Adrian Autry, who coaches the forwards. “His conditioning is better. You can definitely tell he’s gotten bigger and stronger and you can see it in his play as far as him being more consistent shooting. And he’s probably in the best shape of all the forwards right now.”

Syracuse Orange rated among the best in hoops and football (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse Orange has been deemed one of the top schools in the country for its basketball and football programs, according to a new report.
Syracuse University has performed at an extremely high level on the basketball court and on the football field when compared to its peers across the country, per an article by Daniel Wilco of NCAA.com released earlier this week.

The piece, as its methodology, listed the top-16 universities with the highest historical overall winning percentage in both sports to determine, on a simplistic scale, which hoops and football units have experienced the most-prolonged success. The story doesn’t take into account championships, quality of opponents, or victory margins.

Somewhat surprisingly, at least to me, our beloved ‘Cuse placed in a tie for ninth, with a pair of Southeastern Conference members, Arkansas and Tennessee. That’s pretty darn cool for SU if you ask me.

Notre Dame, which suits up in the Atlantic Coast Conference for basketball, but remains independent in football, is slotted No. 1. Also of note is that Washington, whose hoops outfit is currently led by former long-time Orange assistant Mike Hopkins, is No. 15.

Syracuse, in basketball, has a success rate of .678 (1884-894), which is seventh nationally, says NCAA.com. Football, meanwhile, is 47th, with a winning percentage of .568 (719-540-49), according to the article.

SU, from my perspective, has a passionate, yet often critical, fan base. In recent years, ‘Cuse hoops has struggled a bit in its regular seasons, however, the group did make Final Fours in 2013 and 2016, as well as the Sweet 16 in 2018.

By extension, Orange football had endured a long span of relative mediocrity, but now SU is clearly on an upward trajectory, having wrapped up the last term at 10-3 and ranked No. 15 in the final AP top-25 poll. Additionally, in the pre-season USA Today top-25 poll was recently unveiled, the ‘Cuse is No. 22.

What I’m getting at here is that things on the Hill, as it pertains to basketball and football, aren’t so bad. I’m proud of how my alma mater has fared, historically speaking.

Here’s the full NCAA.com list, and a big congrats to the Orange!
1. Notre Dame
2. Texas
3. UCLA
T4. Alabama
T4. Western Kentucky
6. Ohio State
7. Utah
8. Oklahoma
T9. Arkansas
T9. Syracuse
T9. Tennessee
12. West Virginia

5d41778ca68cb.png

https://www.flohoops.com/events/6515773-2019-syracuse-foreign-tour-game-4 (flohoops.com; Kensing)

Any itinerary when visiting Italy includes a few musts: like trying the world-renowned cuisine. Syracuse Orange forward Elijah Hughes is no different, with his team set to tour the country for four games in 10 days on a foreign tour that will stream live on FloHoops.com and the FloSports app.

“I’m looking forward to the experience, itself," Hughes said. "I’ve heard a lot of good things about the food, about the people, the scenery."

But the veteran leader of a new-look Syracuse bunch understands the balance necessary for the Orange to make this a trip to remember.

“We’re going to have to have a level of focus. We’re going over there to win four games,” he said. “But we’re also going over there to enjoy ourselves, have fun, and experience a new country and new culture.”

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/su-sports/2019/08/02/su-basketball-bound-for-italy (spectrum.com; video; Larson)

The Syracuse basketball team is getting ready for its 4-game, 10-day tour of Italy starting a week from Monday.

https://player.fm/series/cuse-militia-podcast/episode-150-syracuse-footballbasketball-cuse-juice-off-season-news (player.fm; podcast; CuseMilitia)

What's up Cuse Nation? Shawn is back from vacation! Sorry, this episode is a little late. We'll get you caught up on everything that has happened since Episode 149. We touch on Boeheim's Army, the Orange overseas, the latest verbal commits and our player position (Quarterbacks) for this show!

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2019/08/mbb-2018-19-composite.html (RX; HM)

MBB: 2018-19 Composite

While we're waiting on more real football news, let's look at the Massey "College Basketball Ranking Composite"...

RankTeamConf,W-L
1VirginiaACC35-3
2DukeACC32-6
3GonzagaWCC33-4
4Michigan StB1032-7
5Texas TechB1231-7
6North CarolinaACC29-7
7KentuckySEC30-7
8MichiganB1030-7
9TennesseeSEC31-6
10HoustonAAC33-4
11AuburnSEC30-10
12PurdueB1026-10
13Florida StACC29-8
14KansasB1226-10
15Virginia TechACC26-9
16LSUSEC28-7
17BuffaloMAC32-4
18Kansas StB1225-9
19Iowa StB1223-12
20WisconsinB1023-11
21WoffordSC30-5
22CincinnatiAAC28-7
23Miss StateSEC23-11
24MarylandB1023-11
25NevadaMWC29-5
26VillanovaBE26-10
27LouisvilleACC20-14
28UCFAAC24-9
29MarquetteBE24-10
30TexasB1221-16
31OklahomaB1220-14
32OregonP1225-13
RankTeamConf,W-L
33IowaB1023-12
34FloridaSEC20-16
35WashingtonP1227-9
36Utah StMWC28-7
37TCUB1223-14
38VCUA1025-8
39NC StateACC24-12
40BaylorB1220-14
41SyracuseACC20-14

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/coleman-iii-announces-duke-and-ncsu-are-in-final-5-schools/18550343/ (wralsportsfan.com; Dunleavy)

Trinity basketball star and Virginia native, Henry Coleman III, announced that both Duke and NC State are in his final five school choices via twitter Sunday night.

First of all I want to thank God. Secondly, I want to thank all of the schools that have recruited me. These are my final 5 schools!! @TiptonEditspic.twitter.com/1yz8CT6mcw
— Henry Coleman III (@hencoleman3) August 4, 2019
The 6-foot-8 power forward is a 4-star recruit according to 24-7 sports.

In his video on twitter he included Duke, NC State, Virginia Tech, Michigan and Ohio State in his final five.

Coleman's family has ties to Virginia Tech. Coleman's father was a football player at Virginia Tech in the early 1990's.

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/college/acc/article233512627.html (heraldonline.com; Pope IV)

Mark Williams, a four-star center from Norfolk, Va., released his top seven schools, and a pair of Triangle ACC colleges are still in the mix.

Williams posted his list on Twitter Saturday night: Duke, N.C State, Georgetown, Ohio State, Stanford, UCLA and Virginia Tech.
Duke currently has two class of 2020 commits: forward Jalen Johnson (No. 4 overall) and guard Jeremy Roach (No. 18). N.C. State has no commits for the class of 2020 so far.
TOP ARTICLES

Williams (7-0, 225 pounds) is the No. 7 center in the nation, according to 247Sports, and the No. 37 center in the country. He played his junior season at Norfolk Academy, but announced last month he was transferring to IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. for his senior season.

https://bustingbrackets.com/2019/08/04/ncaa-basketball-10-teams-need-successful-2020-recruiting-classes/ (bustingbrackets.com; Freeman)

All NCAA Basketball teams hope for a good recruiting class but there are some who needs it more than others. Which programs must have a great 2020 cycle?

When it comes to the NCAA Basketball class of 2019 recruiting cycle, there were several programs who stood out in terms of how good a group of incoming freshmen they have. Led by No. 2 overall prospect Anthony Edwards, Georgia landed themselves a top-10 class. So did Washington thanks to a pair of five-star frontcourt players, while Arizona rebounded with a quality group themselves.

Villanova used their national title to land their greatest recruiting class yet, while Penny Hardaway and the Memphis Tigers went crazy this offseason, landing several commitments to overtake both Duke and Kentucky to land the No. 1 overall class. But there were plenty of other programs who while didn’t land the very best players, still filled all their needs and accomplished what they wanted to. There also were others who fell short, which could hurt them down the road.

They have an opportunity to make up for it in the upcoming 2020 recruiting class. Based on the rosters, there are plenty of teams who won’t be as active, as there simply aren’t expected open scholarships.

For this piece, I’ll be looking at 10 programs who are likely going to have several open spaces that’ll need to be filled. And if they can’t find quality prospects, it’ll have big repercussions for their respective program down the road. Teams like Duke and Kentucky aren’t included because it’s a safe bet that they’ll get plenty of great talent. But it’s not a guarantee for these following 10 NCAA Basketball teams.

Other

Jackiem Joyner, Dan Navarro, Bryan Adams & Billy Idol: 5 shows to see (Aug. 4 to 10) (PS; Garlic)

Crown the Empire

Alternative metal group Crown the Empire, featuring a heavy sound with cathartic lyrics and electronic elements blended in along the lines of Linkin Park. Crown the Empire landed at No. 5 on the Billboard Hard Rock, Independent, and Rock charts with their third album, “Retrograde,” in 2016.
Where: The Westcott Theater, 524 Westcott St., Syracuse
When: 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 6
How much: Tickets start at $25. Details here.

Bryan Adams & Billy Idol

Two big names in the music industry will be sharing one stage this week at the St. Joseph’s Health Amphitheater at Lakeview. Bryan Adams is a platinum selling pop-rock singer, songwriter, and guitarist from Canada. Some of his most famous hits include “(Everything I Do) I Do It For You,” “Please Forgive Me,” and “I Finally Found Someone.” Adams has been awarded the Order of Canada and the Order of British Columbia for his contributions to music and philanthropic work. Billy Idol is a punk rocker who rose to fame in the early 1980s. Idol’s music, which blends in elements of pop, glam and dance, has proven to be an irresistible sound for millions of fans worldwide.
Where: St. Joseph’s Health Amphitheater at Lakeview, 490 Restoration Way, Syracuse
When: 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 6
How much: Tickets start at $25. Details here.

To find out what the Italians are made of read, "A Thread of Grace". Warning, there is one part that is heavy.