Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
E5YcNgHufPfeEW3murthjN-320-80.jpg

Welcome to St Patrick's Day!

St. Patrick's Day takes place on the anniversary of the death of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland, who is thought to have died in 461. Contrary to what many may think, St. Patrick was not Irish—he was born in Roman Britain, in what is now England, Scotland, or Wales. At the age of 16, he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland to be a slave. During his time in captivity, he turned to his Christian faith. He escaped six years later, began religious training, and later returned to Ireland as a missionary. Some credit him with bringing Christianity to the country, but it is believed a bishop known as Palladius had been doing mission work there since 431. It is likely Patrick ministered to those who were already Christians, while converting others.

Many legends surround St. Patrick. One says he explained the Holy Trinity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by using the three leaves of the native Irish clover—the shamrock. Years later, during the seventeenth century, the shamrock became a symbol of Irish nationalism and pride against British rule. There is also a legend that says St. Patrick banished snakes from Ireland. It is a snake-free island, but it had been before Patrick arrived. Some see the snake story as being an allegory for his banishment of pagan ideology.

SU News

Friars scoop up Syracuse transfer Brycen Goodine (providencejournal.com; McNamara)

Brycen Goodine is hoping the college basketball world can finally see what he can do next season.

The New Bedford native will try to do so at Providence College, he said Monday. The 6-foot-3 guard is transferring after one season at Syracuse.

“I was thinking about playing at a local school and my No. 1 local school was Providence,” Goodine said. “I’ve been on their campus a bunch of times, I like coach (Ed) Cooley and the way he coaches.”

Goodine’s only year at Syracuse should be graded an incomplete. While he broke his nose in early January and missed three games, he was healthy the rest of the year but rarely used. He averaged 1.9 points in just 8.7 minutes a game. He played double-figure minutes only nine times and shot more than five times in a game only twice.

His personal highlight came while wearing a protective mask to help his nose heal when he put back a miss for the game-winning shot against Wake Forest at the Carrier Dome.

The majority of the Orange’s backcourt minutes — and shots — went to fellow freshman Joe Girard (33.0 minutes) and sophomore Buddy Boeheim (35.6), the son of the head coach. The young guards rarely left the floor and are expected to remain in those roles next season.

“I enjoyed my time at Syracuse and appreciate the coaches,” Goodine said, “but I just didn’t play and I want to play. They understand.”

The Goodine that St. Andrew’s fans remember is no bench-warmer. The Saints won 68 games during Goodine’s three seasons at the Barrington school playing for coach Mike Hart. As a senior in 2019, the team finished 25-8 and won the 2019 New England Prep School Athletic Conference (NEPSAC) Class AA title. Goodine was named the tournament MVP and Class Player of the Year after averaging 21.5 points, 6.5 rebounds and 5.5 assists per game.

PL7XA2652ZAOZMW7H6NBAAQOBE.jpg

Syracuse graduate transfer target Seth Towns says he’ll make decision this week (PS; Carlson)

Seth Towns, a Syracuse graduate transfer target, Tweeted on Monday night that he expects to make a decision about his college destination this week. Syracuse is reportedly one of six finalists.
Making my decision this week
— Seth (@seth_towns17) March 17, 2020
The competition for Towns is fierce and includes some of the country’s top teams. CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein has reported that Towns’ list of finalists includes Virginia, Ohio State, Kansas, Michigan and Maryland.

A 6-foot-7 wing, Towns grew up in Columbus, Ohio and attended Northland High School, the same school as former Ohio State star Jared Sullinger and former Michigan star Trey Burke. He grew up an Ohio State fan.

Syracuse natives, ex-SU basketball players scramble in uncertain pro hoops times (PS; Ditota)

As the global coronavirus pandemic spreads and alters social norms, professional basketball players plying their trade abroad are having to react to an ever-changing landscape.

Two former Syracuse basketball players and teammates, Brandon Triche and James Southerland, are still playing professionally overseas. Triche is in Turkey; Southerland plays in Japan.

Triche plays for Pinar Karsiyaka in the Turkish Basketball Super League (BSL). His team defeated Galatasaray 79-74 on Saturday and is scheduled to play again Sunday. The Turkish league is holding games without fans for the foreseeable future. Triche said by text that it “was not so bad,” to be playing in an empty arena. The lights were dimmed on the spectator seats.

Syracuse Basketball: Impact of 5 potential transfers for the Orange this offseason (bustingbrackets.com; Benjamin)

Syracuse Basketball is undergoing a roster upheaval. How much of an impact will it have on next season for the Orange?

Brycen Goodine announced that he was transferring from Syracuse Basketball following the completion of the semester on his twitter account.

“I would like to thank the Syracuse staff and fans for having me at the University this year. However, it is time for me to seek out a new beginning. Thank you, Syracuse!”

Goodine appeared in 23 of the Orange’s 32 games this year, which included making an appearance in each of the team’s last 10 games. The 6-3 shooting guard averaged 1.9 points and one rebound as he shot just 30% from the field overall. While the New Bedford (Mass.) native — who missed three games as a result of a broken nose — didn’t reach double-figures, he did come big up against Wake Forest as his putback at the buzzer gave SU a 75-73 win on Feb. 8.

While Goodine just filed his paperwork on Friday, he has already heard from a couple of schools.

“I’m still not sure where I’m going right now,” Goodine told Mike Waters of Syracuse.com. “I want to take this time to finish up strong with school and see what happens after that.’’

Syracuse Basketball: Too much depth, ironically, seemed to sting Orange (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is apparently in the midst of a sizable roster make-over, and how that affects the next season and beyond comes into focus.

Before the 2019-20 campaign began in earnest for Syracuse basketball, a lot of conversation centered around the Orange’s significant depth. The ‘Cuse possessed the full allotment of 13 scholarship players, and that got me and many other Syracuse fanatics excited.

Well, that completely stocked line-up is now reportedly paving way to a bunch of defections, and what the Orange’s catalog will look like in the fall remains unclear.

Heading into 2019-20, the ‘Cuse boasted five guards. For much of the recently concluded term, starters Joe Girard III, a freshman, and Buddy Boeheim, a sophomore, received the bulk of the minutes.

Since that duo is expected to have another two stanzas together, freshman guard and former top-100 recruit Brycen Goodine is leaving for Big East Conference member Providence. Best of luck, Brycen!

What’s more, it appears that two additional guards, sophomore Jalen Carey and junior Howard Washington, are on their way out as well. The status of whether redshirt junior forward Elijah Hughes will turn pro is up in the air, and there’s talk that sophomore forward Robert Braswell could also leave the Hill.

In the blink of an eye, it’s feasible that Syracuse will shift from having as many as a half-dozen guards in 2020-21 to just three, including new recruit Kadary Richmond.

5e7004fbbd3cb.image.jpg

College basketball: Syracuse roster currently in a state of flux (nny360.com; St Croix)

Guards Howard Washington and Jalen Carey intend to transfer from Syracuse University, according to multiple media reports, bringing the total to three men’s basketball scholarship players that have departed the program since Friday.

The reserves join outgoing freshman Brycen Goodine, who announced his intentions to leave via social media Friday night. Goodine has since agreed to join Providence of the Big East Conference, according to a Monday morning report from the Providence Journal.

The Orange, which finished 18-14 overall and 10-10 in the Atlantic Coast Conference in Jim Boeheim’s 44th season as head coach, could also lose star junior forward Elijah Hughes to the NBA draft. The ACC’s leading scorer has yet to declare his intentions but is widely expected to at least consider leaving to pursue a pro career.

SU will bring back the top six players from its tight rotation this past season if Hughes decides to return — guards Joe Girard III and Buddy Boeheim, along with Hughes, Marek Dolezaj, and Quincy Guerrier as forwards. Centers Bourama Sidibe and Jesse Edwards, and junior forward Robert Braswell are also expected back while John Bol Ajak will be activated as another interior presence after red-shirting this past season.

https://accsports.com/acc-analytics...-prove-costly-with-syracuses-backcourt-depth/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

In recent years, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim has tightened his rotation. In seven of the last eight seasons, going back to the 2012-13 campaign, Syracuse has ranked outside the top 300 nationally in bench minutes.

According to KenPom, bench players combined for only 18 percent of Syracuse’s combined minutes (No. 349 in Division I) this season. In both the 2015-16 and 2017-18 seasons, Syracuse’s bench accounted for less than 16 percent of the team’s minutes. (The 2017-18 team featured three players that averaged at least 38 minutes of playing time per game: Tyus Battle, Oshae Brissett and Frank Howard.)

With the constant churn of roster turnover in college basketball, there are downstream impacts from playing such a limited rotation. These decisions could prove costly, too. Quickly after Syracuse’s season concluded, three guards elected to enter the NCAA transfer portal: Jalen Carey, Brycen Goodine and Howard Washington.

2020 Rotation

Syracuse played 32 games before the 2019-20 season was cut short due to concerns with the COVID-19 virus. This season’s roster featured only six players that appeared in all 32 games; of that group, four guys — Buddy Boeheim, Elijah Hughes, Marek Dolezaj and Bourama Sidibe — started all 32 games, too.

The other two players in Syracuse’s de facto six-man rotation — talented freshmen Joe Girard and Quincy Guerrier — both played over 650 minutes this season. Girard finished the season fourth on Syracuse’s roster in minutes: 1,057 (33 minutes per game).

Friars scoop up Syracuse transfer Brycen Goodine

Other

BDDLCILVVRAFRDFYWBNGPDRMU4.jpg

CNY restaurant owner on laying workers off: ‘It’s heart-wrenching’ (PS; Cazentre)

Tony Imbesi’s restaurant, The Market Diner on Park Street, has been in business for 47 years.

But he’s never before had to do what he did today: He messaged his 30 or so workers with the news that the restaurant would be closing temporarily and encouraging them to contact the state unemployment office.

“It’s unprecedented, disconcerting and heart-wrenching,” said Imbesi, who notified his employees after hearing that the state is requiring all restaurants to close tonight due the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak. The closing is indefinite.

At the same time, Imbesi said he understands the need for the order.

“I support this, as hard as it is, because we need to get ahead of the curve on this thing or it’s only going to get worse,” he said.

The Market Diner, at 2100 Park St adjacent to the CNY Regional Market, has about 20 full-time employees and another eight-to-ten part-timers.