Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
sfb-090921-fo-gregpaulus2jpg-88ffde6fbdc87a71_large.jpg

Welcome to World Redhead Day!

Redheads are celebrated around the world today. Red is the rarest hair color, with only 2 percent of the world's population having it. Most redheads are of northern or western European ancestry; the highest percentage of redheads come from Scotland, followed by Ireland.

Besides celebrating red hair, the day raises awareness about the stigma associated with red hair, and the discrimination that redheads sometimes face. Redheads are often stereotyped as having a fiery temper. There even is Kick a Ginger Day, which has led to some children being bullied. In ancient Greece, some redheads were considered to be vampires. Many redheads were killed in Europe between the fifteenth and eighteenth centuries because they were perceived to be associated with witchcraft.

SU News

WATCH LIVE AT 9 PM: All-Time Syracuse Basketball Legends Draft (podcast) (fingerlakes1.com)

Join Jim Sinicropi & former Upstate Orange Podcast co-host Brad Conner along with FL1 Sports’ Brendan Harrington, Tane Robinson and Dave Ekis for a fantasy-style draft of the best players in Syracuse Orange basketball history. Each participant will draft a total of 8 players from the storied history of Syracuse basketball. Then, we’ll break down the teams and debate whose squad would win on the court. Join live at 9:00 pm from inside the FingerLakes1.com Studio.

https://accsports.com/acc-news/duke...g-league-2020-reclassification-also-on-table/ (accsports.com; Geisinger)

Over the weekend, Duke made the list of final four schools for one of the top prep basketball players in the country: Jonathan Kuminga, a 5-star small forward.

Kuminga, the No. 1 prospect in the 2021 class, has narrowed his list of schools down to Duke, Texas Tech, Auburn and Kentucky.

There’s no guarantee that the 6-foot-8 Kuminga will play college basketball, though. Kuminga will also consider following Jalen Green’s footsteps — forgoing college and taking part in the NBA and G League’s development program.

Last month, word trickled out that the G League was in the process of recruiting top 2021 prospects to be in the program’s second wave. In theory, Kuminga would be at the top of that list. However, Kuminga could also reclassify to the 2020 class.

If Kuminga were to reclassify, he would join Green and 5-star point guard Cade Cunningham has tier 1 prospects in 2020. Cunningham will play for Oklahoma State during the 2020-21 season. While speaking ESPN recruiting analyst Paul Biancardi on his podcast, Kuminga said he’s currently “50/50” on the prospect of reclassifying.

Duke already has a commitment from AJ Griffin, another 5-star forward in the 2021 class.

Syracuse University may look much different when students return: Sports, parties, more (PS; Carlson)

Last week, Syracuse University announced that it is planning to bring students and faculty back to campus for the fall semester with a planned start date of Aug. 24.

The announcement, and a conversation with assistant provost Amanda Nicholson, included an acknowledgment that campus and academic life would change in a variety of ways to keep students and staff as safe as possible in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

It also included the admission that, despite some answers, there are far more unsolved challenges before the school can provide a safe return.

While Syracuse is one of a number of schools aiming for an August return, Ithaca College is delaying its opening until October, giving it additional time to prepare and learn about the virus.

The best approach is unclear and could be different for different schools. Schools will have to factor in institutional, local and national conditions. Even medical experts armed with the same information might disagree.

Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing out of hospital after being treated for coronavirus (PS; AP)

Georgetown basketball coach and former NBA great Patrick Ewing has been released from the hospital and is recovering from Covid-19 at home, his son said Monday.

The 57-year-old Hall of Famer, who played for the Hoyas in college and the New York Knicks in the NBA, announced Friday that he had tested positive for the coronavirus and was being treated at a hospital.

Patrick Ewing Jr. said three days later on Twitter that his father was getting better after receiving treatment and thanked the doctors and nurses who looked after him during his hospital stay. He also thanked fans for their thoughts and prayers after his father’s announcement.

“My father is now home and getting better," Ewing Jr. wrote. "We’ll continue to watch his symptoms and follow the CDC guidelines. I hope everyone continues to stay safe and protect yourselves and your loved ones.”

5ec6870c0b932.image.jpg

‘THE FIRST DANCE’: Jordan’s daughter waits on wedding with former Syracuse player Christmas (thedailynewsonline.com; St Croix)

As the sports world has been buzzing about “The Last Dance,” Jasmine Jordan has been holding out hope that plans for her first dance as Mrs. Rakeem Christmas can remain intact for this fall.

Jasmine Jordan — a 2014 Syracuse University graduate and the daughter of basketball legend Michael Jordan — is engaged to former Orange star center Rakeem Christmas.

The SU alums are enjoying their time as parents to a one-year-old baby named Rakeem Michael Christmas, and each is working to build on their respective careers in basketball while looking forward to their anticipated September wedding date.

Jasmine Jordan said that the couple was among the millions of sports fans glued to ESPN’s five-week, 10-hour documentary that ended Sunday, titled “The Last Dance,” which chronicled her father’s iconic career and the Chicago Bulls dynasty that won six NBA championships in the 1990s.

The 27-year-old, who was interviewed by ESPN and appeared during Sunday’s finale, said that she was fascinated to learn about much of her father’s early career and the parts that she was too young to grasp as it played out.

“I enjoyed it, I really did, and I was able to at least text my dad every Sunday like: ‘Hey, can you elaborate on this part? What were your thoughts after you won this game?’ Things like that, so I’ve definitely been enjoying it,” Jasmine Jordan said during a recent phone interview.

The Redshirt Senior: The History of Ancient Eight Basketball (thedartmouth.com. Griffith)

Spring term is winding down for most; I’m working my TA job at the moment, and I don’t remember what week it is. My mind keeps drifting back to college basketball and the lost postseason. Ivy League basketball doesn’t get a lot of credit as a mid-major league, so I wanted to do my best to explain the history of some programs by comparing them to major conference schools.

I’ll start with my soon-to-be alma mater. Dartmouth’s basketball history is richer than that of some of its Ivy League contemporaries. The Big Green has the third most NCAA tournament wins and bids of Ivy League teams, behind the University of Pennsylvania and Princeton University, and is actually the only Ivy League basketball program to post a positive win-loss percentage in the NCAA tournament at 10-7 (although Penn and Princeton’s records, 13-26 and 13-29 respectively, are artifacts of the NCAA tournament allowing more than one school per conference during the 1975 tournament and later increasing the tournament size).

Dartmouth’s prestige in the Ivy League hit its zenith in the 1940s and 1950s, when the Big Green placed second in the NCAA tournament in 1942 and 1943 and made a total of seven tournaments during those two decades. A good comparison to draw is with the University of San Francisco Dons basketball program. The Dons were also a 1950s powerhouse, winning the NCAA tournament in 1955 and 1956 and reaching the Sweet Sixteen in both 1957 and 1958. Both programs have regressed since then, with Dartmouth failing to win an Ivy League championship since 1959 and San Francisco maintaining some success into the 1980s but falling behind since then, in part due to NCAA sanctions. It’s also interesting to point out the figures who came out of each program. A big part of San Francisco’s success was Bill Russell, who would go on to win 11 NBA championships after his time at San Francisco. Dartmouth’s last NCAA tournament team featured Dave Gavitt, who would go on to help found the Big East Basketball Conference, changing the landscape of college basketball as we know it. Not bad for two small-time programs.

The kings of the Ivy League with regard to all-time records and tournament prestige are without a doubt Penn and Princeton. These two rivals have combined for over half (26 out of 43) of the Ivy League’s NCAA tournament wins. These two programs have produced coaching talent as well, including current Cornell University head coach Brian Earl (Princeton ’99), current Princeton head coach Mitch Henderson (Princeton ’98) and current University of Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery (Penn ’82).

I really hate to do this as a Syracuse University fan, but the major program contemporaries of these two schools have to be Duke University and the University of North Carolina. These two rivalries feature schools that are clearly the top of their conferences (except for UNC last year) and produce elite talent compared to the rest of the conference’s schools. Just like Duke and UNC, Penn and Princeton have also produced classic games, such as the infamous game on February 9, 1999. Penn led Princeton 33-9 at the start of the second half, but Princeton would go on a 37-9 run to win by a score of 50-49. That game stands as the sixth-largest comeback in NCAA basketball history. Harvard University and Yale University may have The Game in football, but Penn and Princeton are the top dogs on the court.

Other

Amazon, welcome to Central New York (Commentary) (PS; Simpson)

Robert Simpson is president of CenterState CEO, an economic development strategist, business leadership organization and chamber of commerce dedicated to the success of its members and the prosperity of the Central New York region.

What a shame that the very first letter to the editor following the historic announcement that Amazon would create more than 1,000 jobs in our backyard amidst the greatest economic crisis in history was not a “welcome to Central New York,” but rather an inaccurate, misleading and inflammatory reflection of the cynical and pessimistic mentality that has only served to hold our region back in the past (“Onondaga County is getting played by Jeff Bezos, Amazon,” May 20, 2020).

Thankfully, those views no longer reflect the voices of leadership and progress in our community. So let’s try this again.

Last week, I proudly joined Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon, Syracuse Mayor Ben Walsh and other local leaders to announce Amazon’s impending arrival to Central New York. The announcement of Amazon as the tenant of the $350 million, 3.8-million-square-foot state-of-the-art fulfillment center under construction in the town of Clay is a cause for celebration.

This once-in-a generation opportunity is a remarkable validation of our collective vision and efforts, and demonstrative of where Central New York is heading, even amidst this economic crisis. In addition to 1,000 new full-time jobs for our community at a time when the unemployment rate has skyrocketed above 15%, the project will drive $400 million of new payroll over 10 years