Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1593432537760.jpeg

Welcome to National Camera Day!

Everything comes into focus on June 29th each year when we recognize National Camera Day. The day commemorates photographs, the camera, and their invention. A camera is an irreplaceable tool used to record and replicate memories, events, and people/places. Before the invention of the camera, the only resource to document a vision was a painting. Capturing an image of a person or place in a drawing took time and skill. Very few people can perfectly draw the likeness of someone, let alone capture the essence of an event.

The power of a camera provided many with a simple, inexpensive, and fast solution. George Eastman, also known as “The Father of Photography,” brought the camera to the masses. While he did not invent the camera, he did develop many additions improving the use, ease, and production of the camera. His developments made the camera widely available to homes around the world.

SU News

MBB: My 2020 B1G/ACC Challenge Predictions (RX; HM)

MBB: My 2020 B1G/ACC Challenge Predictions

The pairings haven't been released yet (they're expected out Monday), so there's still time for me to take a stab at it, right? Here goes...

ACCB1G
Home '20Road '20
ClemsonIllinois
DukeMaryland
FSUMich St
MiamiPenn st
NDPurdue
UVAMinnesota
Wake FIndiana
B1GACC
Home '20Road '20
N'westernBC
IowaGT
MichiganLouisville
NebraskaNC State
Ohio StPitt
RutgersSyracuse
WisconsinUNC

My methodology was simple: I assume that teams which were on the road last year will play at home this year, and vice versa. I also assume that teams which haven't played before are more likely to be paired up than the same old thing - but pick games of historical significance when possible.

Will they match up exactly that way? Probably not, but I'll be happy if I get half of them right!

For Syracuse basketball, talent is returning, and wins should, too - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

Earlier in the month, I analyzed how the sanctions from the 2015 season affected recruiting, dropping Syracuse from a perennial powerhouse into a team that was barely recruiting inside the top 100.

With that talent drop off has predictably come a drop in win totals per season. Prior to sanctions, SU was routinely recruiting in the mid-to-high 90s, with their 30 win season in the 2012-13 season with a squad whose rotation players averaged a score of just over 95 according to 247 rankings.

That average talent rating continued into the 2017-18 season, but it really started to taper off after that. The average player rankings relative to season win totals is illustrated in the chart below:

Average-Player-Rating-and-Relative-Wins.png

There are several things you should keep in mind when looking at this chart.

Live Q&A: Syracuse football and basketball (theathletic.com; Gutierrez)

While we don't yet know what the 2020-21 college sports calendar will look like, players are at least trickling back onto campus. That's a start. Have a question about Syracuse football or basketball? Leave it in the comments section below, and Matthew Gutierrez will be here to address it in a live Q&A at noon ET on Monday.

Column: FSU, ACC must be creative with scheduling, saving - The Osceola (theosceola.com; Ferrante)

The motto for 2020 should be “creativity and flexibility,” from multinational corporations to small businesses to athletics programs. There is no playbook for a pandemic.

A traditional calendar? Disregard. The rules? Break them.

College administrators must do what they can to financially survive, to make sure that they don’t cut programs, personnel or scholarships. And that’s where getting creative and being flexible comes into play.

In the last few months, we’ve tried to outline some possible solutions. One that we addressed in early May was the concept of scheduling by geography, where each ACC school can save millions. Another is cutting coaches’ salaries or deferring to the back end of their contracts.

July is typically a quiet month on the college athletics calendar. But now this one may involve difficult decisions about whether to start the football season on time, push it back a few weeks or a month or try the spring. They are decisions about the safety of student-athletes and coaches. And about fans in the stands. Decisions that will shape the future of college athletics in 2020-21 but beyond.

Here are a few proposals that we think are worth trying, whether this year or part of long-term planning. All of these will either save money or potentially bring in added revenue.

Schedule by geography in Olympics sports: Travel budgets are an easy candidate to get a haircut. I could argue that it’s a wonderful experience for FSU’s athletes to often travel to Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Notre Dame but it really doesn’t make good financial sense. Not now, not in a budget crunch. FSU had set aside $9.7 million for travel in 2020-21, with some of that outlined for the 20 sports but also recruiting.

Other

080e256b-35fa-4b9a-ba97-a96d4956f1b0.jpeg

Some tasty shrimp from The Clam Bar (markbialczak)

I’d been waiting since March for this seated meal out.

And for the shrimp scampi from The Clam Bar in North Syracuse, too.

Small but efficient.

This joint is practically hidden on the big Route 11 strip, modest for sure.

I’m not ready for eating inside anywhere yet.

But a handful of tables in the great outdoors, yes, I feel like we can handle this safely distanced.

Our masked waitress was quite pleasant.

My aforementioned (and photographed) shrimp dish was fine.