Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Chewing-Gum-Day-948x640.jpg

Welcome to National Chewing Gum Day!

Chewing Gum Day is a day for gum chewers around the world. Forms of chewing gum got their start millennia ago in different locations, but it wasn't until the 19th century in America when chewing gum began to look like what we know it as today. Early civilizations chewed various substances, such as plants and resins, that were near where they lived. The Aztecs and Mayans chewed chicle, the Greeks chewed resin from mastic trees, and American Indians chewed resin from the sap of spruce trees. Newly arrived Americans soon took after the chewing habits of their Native American neighbors. In 1848 John B. Curtis took this idea and made the first commercial chewing gum in 1848—called Maine Pure Spruce Gum. A gum made out of paraffin wax became very popular soon after this.

John Colgan created the first flavored chewing gum in Louisville, Kentucky, in the 1860's. He mixed powdered sugar with tolu from balsam trees, creating what he called Taffy Tolu. He also was instrumental in the expansion of chicle chewing gum. In 1871 Thomas Adams, a Staten Island New York inventor, also helped popularize chicle. Adams was given chicle from former Mexican president, General Santa Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna, who thought it could be used as a rubber substitute. Adams noticed Santa Anna chewing chicle as well, and created Adams New York No.1 chewing gum. His company later came up with and sold Black Jack, a licorice flavored gum. William Wrigley soon became the largest maker of chewing gum, and started selling both Spearmint and Juicy Fruit in the 1890's.

SU News

Benny-Williams_St.-Andrews-Courtesy-e1601398896799.jpeg

‘My goal is to win a championship’: Benny Williams on his Syracuse vision (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)

Benny Williams paused, then looked the other way, then held back tears.

It was last Thursday morning before a practice at IMG Academy, a prep boarding school on Florida’s Gulf Coast. Williams’ facial expression was mostly covered by a mask, but his eyes welled with tears. One thought had conjured up years of memories. Three years ago, he stood 5-9 and struggled to stand out on the court. At times, he was submerged in self doubt. This got him thinking about the depth of respect he has for his father, Ben, and the influence he had had on him.

“I wouldn’t be anywhere without my dad,” Williams said. “He’s done a lot, especially those times where I was doubting myself and what I could do. That was a hard time. But I knew my time was coming.”

Williams shot up from 5-9 in ninth grade to 6-3 in 10th grade and 6-7 in 11th grade. He now stands about 6-8 as a senior, with long arms. Two years ago his jump shot came together, and the offers poured in. But Syracuse associate head coach Adrian Autry was one of the first high-major coaches to recruit him. Syracuse always intrigued Williams. In June he became the Orange’s first commit in the 2021 class. Williams is a four-star prospect, per 247Sports, and the 33rd-ranked player in his class. A Syracuse team source said last week that attending IMG will put him “maybe six months ahead of schedule because of the facilities and talent they have down there.” The person added: “We’re excited to get him up here. We think he could play big minutes as a freshman and fit in well defensively.”

Benny Williams joined Zach "SchuZ" Schumaker to discuss his commitment to Syracuse as well as what to expect from this next chapter of Syracuse basketball, how he has adjusted to his growth spurt in high school where he has grown from 5 foot 9 to nearly 6 foot 9, why he decided to transfer to IMG for his senior season, and how much of an impact Jerami Grant has had on his life.

How to Win a Bet on Dion Waiters Getting a 2020 NBA Title Ring (lite987.com; Coombs)

If you bet someone that Dion Waiters will score an NBA championship ring this year, you'll win the wager. The former Syracuse basketball star is a sure thing to win a ring this year.

The mercurial guard plays for the Los Angeles Lakers, who are taking on the Miami Heat in the 2020 NBA Finals. Waiters also was on the Heat's roster earlier this season. So, he'll get a champioship ring no matter which team wins the title.

And he's in line to win a share of playoff money from BOTH teams.
It's been an eventful year for Waiters. While on Miami's roster, he suffered a panic attack on the team plane following an over-consumption of marijuana edibles. He was suspended for that incident. A month later, he was suspended again after he called in to work sick, then posted a picture of himself on his Instagram page on a boat celebrating his birthday.

Other

Speach Family Candy Shoppe celebrates 100 years of sweet business (PS; video; Tulloch)

Michael Speach's early "legacy guilt" evolved into genuine passion for his family's candy business. Video by Katrina Tulloch

I heard Waiters also had trouble adjusting his mask! Donald said so.