Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
AbrahamLincoln_AbrahamByers_1858.jpg
Welcome to Abraham Lincoln Day!

Abraham Lincoln, the 16th President of the United States, was born on February 12, 1809. Over the years, he has become known as one of the greatest American presidents of all time. At the time of his death, in 1865, many saw him as a martyr, and it wasn't too long afterward that his birthday began being observed informally. In the mid-1870s, Julius Francis of Buffalo, New York, began honoring Lincoln on his birthday and petitioned Congress to make the day a legal holiday.

But, as of 2019, Lincoln's Birthday is not, nor has it ever been, its own federal holiday. On the state level, a handful of states celebrate Lincoln's birthday on its actual date. In recent years, it has been celebrated as a state holiday in Ohio, Missouri, New York, Illinois, and Connecticut. It is celebrated as such in California as well, but since 2009, it has no longer been a paid holiday there. Some states, Indiana being one example, have officially celebrated Lincoln's birthday, but not on the actual date of his birth. In prior years, more states officially celebrated his birthday; twenty-four states celebrated it in 1940, and ten celebrated it in 1990.

SU News

Syracuse soph Quincy Guerrier emerges as key cog for Orange (AP; Kekis)

Not so long ago, Syracuse forward Quincy Guerrier may have been best known for shaking hands with imaginary teammates after shooting a free throw with only opponents lining the lane.

Not anymore.

Notwithstanding the hurdles posed by the coronavirus pandemic and the lack of a seasoned center to help carry some of the load inside, the 6-foot-7, 220-pound Guerrier has had a breakout season for the Orange (11-6, 5-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) as they chase a postseason berth. He's had four 20-point games, only twice failing to reach double digits, and his seven double-doubles rank second in the ACC, two behind leader Justin Champagnie of Pittsburgh and tied for seventh nationally.

“It’s probably just my work ethic,” said Guerrier, a Montreal native who started his foul-line ritual i n high school. “I was watching a lot of videos to improve my (basketball) I.Q. and stuff like that. I’m working hard every day.”

Syracuse Basketball: Even if only for one game, fans in stands would rock (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball, following its solid road win at N.C. State earlier this week, sits at 11-6 overall and 5-5 in Atlantic Coast Conference competition as the Orange gets set to host Boston College this Saturday afternoon.

Undeniably, the ‘Cuse needs to go on a run to close out the 2020-21 regular season if it wants to have any realistic shot of making the upcoming Big Dance, save for capturing the ACC’s post-season tournament crown.

It’s proven a really weird stanza to date, given the challenges brought on by the novel coronavirus pandemic, and Syracuse basketball has yet to see fans cheer the Orange on inside the Carrier Dome due to Covid-19.

Other college basketball teams around the country have allowed limited numbers of fans to watch their games in-person, as protocols on live attendance vary from state to state.

An announcement this week from New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, however, could enable fans to check out the ‘Cuse across several sports in the near future. And even if it’s only a small amount of fans for just a game or two at the onset, it would provide some tiny sense of normalcy at a time when nothing truly seems normal.

Syracuse basketball could have fans in the stands in a few weeks.

Syracuse looks to extend streak vs BC | FOX Sports (foxsports.com; AP)

SYRACUSE LOOKS TO EXTEND STREAK VS BC

Boston College (3-12, 1-8) vs. Syracuse (11-6, 5-5)

Carrier Dome, Syracuse, New York; Saturday, 2 p.m. EST

BOTTOM LINE: Syracuse looks for its sixth straight win in the head-to-head series over Boston College. In its last five wins against the Eagles, Syracuse has won by an average of 19 points. Boston College's last win in the series came on Feb. 28, 2018, an 85-70 victory.

LEADING THE WAY: The Eagles have been led by sophomores Jay Heath and CJ Felder. Heath is averaging 13.5 points while Felder is putting up 10.4 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per contest. The Orange have been led by Alan Griffin and Quincy Guerrier, who have combined to score 31.6 points per contest.JUMPING FOR JAY: Heath has connected on 35.2 percent of the 88 3-pointers he's attempted and has made 12 of 32 over the last five games. He's also made 87 percent of his free throws this season.

SLIPPING AT 69: Boston College is 0-11 when it allows at least 69 points and 3-1 when it holds opponents to less than 69.

UNBEATEN WHEN: Syracuse is a perfect 5-0 when it holds an opponent to 60 points or fewer. The Orange are 6-6 when opponents score more than 60 points.

DID YOU KNOW: Syracuse is ranked second among ACC teams with an average of 76.7 points per game.

Syracuse basketball bracketology roundup: NCAA Tournament outlook after NC State win (247sports.com; Gunn)

Syracuse basketball is in for an agonizing final month of the regular season. The Orange (11-6, 5-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) is clinging to the bubble right now after defeating North Carolina State 77-68 on the road on Tuesday. The victory qualifies as a Quadrant 2 win in the NCAA’s NET Rankings because the Wolfpack currently sits at No. 89 in the listing.

SU, meanwhile, is situated just inside the top 50. At 49th overall, Syracuse is sandwiched in between bubble teams in Indiana above and Utah State below. That ranking alone does not mean that Syracuse is one of the top-50 teams in the country and that it is going to the tournament; that just means that Syracuse is 49th in the NCAA’s current rankings -- not factoring in automatic bids.

In fact, the Orange has significant work left to do to earn a spot in the Big Dance as well as a thin margin for error, based on the strength of the ACC and the quality of its wins so far. SU’s final opponents – Boston College, Louisville, Notre Dame, Duke, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina – have an average rank of 73.7 in the NET. Louisville is the highest at No. 35, with Boston College taking the rear at No. 148.

History Isn’t on Syracuse’s Side – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Klein)

Syracuse basketball’s convincing road win against NC State has a lot of fans thinking the Orange are treading water with Selection Sunday just over a month out. But the truth is, SU needs to do a lot more than just stay alive. They have a lot more to prove.

Bart Torvik from barttorvik.com says only one team in his database with similar resumé ranks and NET ratings has ever made the tournament. That was NC State in 2012. Every other team fell short of the Big Dance. But there are more similarities than just sabermetrics.

The analytics draw close comparisons to 2015 Stanford. The Cardinal were on the bubble, with plenty of chances down the stretch to strengthen their resumé, but lost the final three games of the regular season and five of the last seven. That slide included the regular season finale when then-future 2-seed Arizona dismantled Stanford. Florida’s 2009 squad lost three of their last four games before the SEC Tournament. All three of those losses came against NCAA Tournament teams.

Jim Boeheim’s radio show: He assessed his program and his responsibility for finding/developing players (PS; $; Ditota)

Jim Boeheim touched on a variety of topics Thursday during his weekly TK99 radio show.

One of those topics has surfaced with numbing regularity these past couple weeks: The Syracuse basketball coach discussed the minutes he disseminates to his three guards and reiterated why it’s important to play all of them. Joe Girard and Buddy Boeheim can shoot the 3 and draw defensive attention on the perimeter, while Kadary Richmond still has things to learn and is working his way into a basketball shape that will allow him to play more minutes.

There are various stories and audio clips of all of those guard-specific conversations circulating around the internet these days.

Prompted by host Matt Park, Boeheim did venture into a couple interesting areas he hasn’t spoken much about recently. He offered lengthy explanations and his answers here have been lightly edited.

Topic 1: Boeheim is typically frank in his assessments of his players. When a player isn’t performing or isn’t improving enough to see substantial minutes, fans might wonder how much of that is Boeheim’s fault. Isn’t he the guy who recruited that player and coached him once he arrived on campus?

“Absolutely. Sometimes it’s a mistake in recruiting. It’s a guy we think has potential. And sometimes it’s a guy that overachieves. Marek (Dolezaj), he didn’t even think he’d play here until his junior or senior year. So sometimes guys overachieve.

“But it all goes back to me. If our defense isn’t good one night, I’m the coach. And people seem to want me to say that more. But I’ve said that. That is the absolute, 100% truth. If we’re not playing good enough defense, that’s on me. If our offense isn’t good enough, that’s on me. I mean, if we’re missing shots, that’s why coaches when they lose they say ‘we didn’t make enough shots,’ because that really isn’t the coach’s fault.

“The other part of that coin is if we don’t have good enough players, I should have done a better job recruiting. All of that is true. I’ve always said that. I’ve never backed away from that. I have nothing more to say about it. That’s the way it is.

Can SU make up potential resume-boosting games vs. FSU, Louisville? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

As the regular season winds down, the questions get a little more serious here at Mike’s Mailbox.

A lot of Syracuse fans are keenly interested in whether the Orange is going to be able to earn a bid to the NCAA tournament.

One factor in getting into the tournament is playing and beating good teams. And that’s where we lead off this week.

Q: I know Syracuse had games against FSU and Louisville postponed. Are there plans to make those games up? Obviously, these are two of Syracuse’s better opportunities to pick up what would be considered quality wins.

Matt R.

Mike:
Syracuse has had six games postponed this season due to Covid-related concerns.

SU was able to reschedule its Dec. 21 game against Notre Dame. The Irish will visit the Carrier Dome on Feb. 20.

Georgia Tech heads to Clemson for key ACC matchup (cbssports.com; FLM)

Two teams at critical junctures in their season will meet Friday night when Georgia Tech and Clemson battle in a key Atlantic Coast Conference game at Clemson's Littlejohn Coliseum.

Both teams are at or slightly above .500 in league play heading into the season's home stretch.

After suffering lopsided feats against Virginia, Georgia Tech, Florida State and Duke, Clemson (12-5, 6-5 ACC) has rebounded to post back-to-back decisive victories of its own, beating North Carolina by 13 points and Syracuse by 17 in its last two games.

"We're fighting to do the things we want to do," Clemson coach Brad Brownell said. "All of these games are important. Hopefully, we're getting a little of our confidence back. Guys seeing some balls go in the basket rejuvenates them a little bit."

The Tigers also will be seeking to avenge an 18-point loss at Georgia Tech on Jan. 20. The Yellow Jackets' Michael Devoe scored 22 points and made 6-of-7 shots from 3-point range in that lopsided victory, and Georgia Tech's Jordan Usher, Moses Wright and Devoe combined to make 13-of-17 attempts from long range.

Leonard Hamilton: As a coach, it's not all about winning games, going to the NCAA Tournament; it's about helping people grow - ACCSports.com (accsports.com; podcast; Geisinger)

Ahead of No. 17 Florida State’s weekend matchup with Wake Forest, head coach Leonard Hamilton joins Josh Graham on The Drive (WSJS).

Hamilton and Graham discuss Steve Forbes at Wake Forest, gospel music production, singing in the shower, his roots in North Carolina, overcoming racist boundaries as a child, the importance of a holistic leadership approach and the legacy of Dean Smith.

Due to COVID-19, FSU (10-3, 6-2 ACC) hasn’t played a game since Jan. 30 — a loss at Georgia Tech.

ACC Basketball 2020-21 Freshman Report - Stadium (watchstadium; video)

The 2020-21 season has given the ACC another talented group of freshmen looking to become legends. Duke’s DJ Steward, North Carolina’s Day’Ron Sharpe and FSU’s Scottie Barnes are just a few of the sensational freshmen you will get to know this season. Check out their progress so far right here!

Other

VP2R6CSHHJEBXNEUY3XBYJVRMI.jpg

Axe: Local fans ready to sing ‘Take Me Back to the Ballgame’ (PS; $; Axe)

Maybe Marek Dolezaj won’t be lonely on senior day after all.

Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim revealed during a radio interview on Thursday that the SU senior forward recently wondered aloud to Jim and his wife, Juli, why no one could be in the Dome for his upcoming senior day.

The Carrier Dome has become the nation’s biggest classroom this spring. Why can’t fans attend games using the same safety protocols as the students?

“In the Dome you could put fans 12 feet apart, with masks, and still have 3,000 fans in there,” Boeheim said during a recent conversation on ESPN Radio Syracuse.

New York State revealed this week that arenas with capacities of greater than 10,000 can reopen on Feb. 23 under select conditions, setting the stage for a possible return of fans to Syracuse University sporting events.

Gov. Cuomo said Wednesday that large arenas can open at 10 percent capacity later this month. The Carrier Dome holds 49,250 for football games with a traditional capacity of 34,616 during basketball season.

Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon said he expects Syracuse University will allow some students to attend the final few home games of the basketball season and that the school will look to permit members of the general public into the Carrier Dome at some point during lacrosse season.

“The Dome, I think, they’re going to open it up probably for the next games (after Feb. 23) for, I believe, students,” McMahon said. “I don’t know if their plans have changed since what we were pitching. I think there are a couple basketball games after that. In the springtime, with both lacrosse teams being excellent, I think their model will be that’s when you open it up to the public. You have the whole Dome to utilize to space people out.”