Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
susan_b_city-e1581945519488.jpg
Welcome to Susan B Anthony Day!

Today we celebrate Susan B. Anthony, who was born on today's date in 1820. Susan B. Anthony Day is not officially celebrated nationally. In 2011, Representative Carolyn Maloney introduced the Susan B. Anthony Birthday Act, which would have designated the third Monday in February as Susan B. Anthony Day, but the bill did not become law. The holiday is celebrated in some capacities on the state level. As of 2019, Florida is the only state where Susan B. Anthony Day is an official holiday on February 15. In Wisconsin and California, the holiday is celebrated in public schools. In West Virginia, the holiday is celebrated on election day on even-numbered years. Anthony's birthday is celebrated each August in Massachusetts. Additionally, Susan B. Anthony Day is celebrated unofficially across the country, as the birthdays of prominent historical figures often are.

Susan B. Anthony was born in Adams, Massachusetts. Her Aunt Susan, whom she had been named after, married a man named Brownell, and that is where Anthony got her middle initial from. Her family was made up of Quakers and activists, and in 1845 they moved to Rochester, New York, where they became part of the abolitionist movement. Anthony became a teacher, where she pushed for educational reforms, such as for more inclusion for girls and African Americans.

SU News

1613391861501.png

How Kadary Richmond’s past paved his way to Syracuse (DO; Dabbundo)

When Syracuse trailed Buffalo by double digits in the second half of its game in December, the Orange couldn’t get stops. Their offense was stagnant, and their defense was allowing easy post entries and getting beat inside. Then, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim inserted Kadary Richmond.

Almost immediately, the Orange went on a 12-4 run to close the margin before pulling out an overtime win to avoid a bad home loss. Richmond finished with 13 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three blocks in 32 minutes, proving that he had the conditioning to play extended minutes in a game.

Richmond’s high school coach, Shawn Mark, said that game was the best he’s seen Richmond play this year. While Richmond often provides a spark, Mark wants more consistency. Boeheim does, too. While Richmond has seen more minutes as a result of excellent two-way performances against North Carolina State and Buffalo, the freshman point guard’s had games with turnovers and lackluster defensive rotations, like during the Orange’s win against Boston College on Saturday in the Carrier Dome.

“He needs to work on being consistent when he comes in the game at first,” Mark said. “It’s motor-wise. Sometimes, he comes in blazing — he needs to come in more hard every time he steps in the game, with the same intensity.”

steffon-cuse-214.jpg

Eagles Drop Fourth Straight Game in Loss to Syracuse – BC Heights (bcheights.com; Scrimeour)

Boston College men’s basketball has been plagued by a short bench for most of its season so far, and Saturday’s matchup against Syracuse was no exception. BC had seven active scholarship players against the Orange, giving plenty of opportunities for the five available walk-ons to fill in. Andrew Kenny was the only walk-on to appear, however, and he saw just one minute on the floor, leaving only seven players to do the vast majority of the heavy lifting.

Despite the lack of manpower, Saturday’s game was a big improvement from the last time the two teams met, when Syracuse (12-6, 6-5 Atlantic Coast) came to Conte Forum and dismantled the Eagles by double digits. BC (3-13, 1-9) seemed to play with renewed energy on Saturday even without a full roster but still dropped a 75-67 decision at the Carrier Dome.

“We executed so much better today than we did the first time we played them,” BC head coach Jim Christian said. “We got great shots, and I thought we attacked the zone very, very well.”

Despite the improvement, Syracuse’s infamous 2-3 zone defense proved to be difficult to score on yet again, as the Eagles struggled to get easy looks inside. All together, BC’s 67 points came on 23-of-63 shooting from the field and 9-of-31 shooting from 3-point range.

The Eagles took their only lead in the game off of a Rich Kelly 3-pointer around three minutes into the first half. Aside from the lone exception where BC led 6-4, the Eagles fought from behind, turning defense into offense and capitalizing in transition.

Boeheim Wants Fans in the Dome (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim feels your pain, Syracuse fans. Orange faithful have been clamoring to get into the Dome all season, eager to cheer on their football and basketball teams. New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo had prohibited that due to the pandemic, but lifted those restrictions effective February 23rd. Boeheim believes they should have been allowed in all along.

"First of all we have 30,000 seats. I don't think there should've ever been a time this year that we didn't have 10 or 20 percent of our fans in the building. I don't understand that. They're doing it all over the country. That I don't understand. You can space people out at least 10 feet and if it's a family pod or something. But you can space people out 10 feet just to get them in the building. Just so they can come in the building. People would maybe have better seats would be happy to be in the building for a game. I don't understand it. I've never understood it.

"I've never understood the whole thing with restaurants. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Eighty percent of this horrible disease is groups of people. Group gatherings of people. Close contact. Not 10 feet apart sitting at the Carrier Dome. I don't understand it and I have never understood it. We'll do the best we can, hopefully. Two thousand fans is not going to make a difference but it would be nice for two or three or four thousand of our fans to be able to see a game. It would be good for them, I think. It would be nice. But that's something I haven't understood from day one, but I'm not in charge."

1613391723882.png

Emerman: For Syracuse to make a run, Alan Griffin needs to make a leap (DO; Emerman)

In this labyrinth of a shortened COVID-19 season, there’s a path. That’s right, a path to the NCAA Tournament. For Syracuse.

Syracuse’s path to the Big Dance requires winning at least four of its last five regular season games. That would bring SU (12-6, 6-5 Atlantic Coast) to double-digit conference victories, and it would mean the Orange finished the year playing their best ball — and it also wouldn’t hurt if SU had one of its lost games rescheduled.

It’s a narrow, one-way street. And to get to the end of it, Syracuse needs junior Alan Griffin to consistently be its best player, to peak at the right time so the Orange can do the same. Because when the Illinois transfer is humming offensively, flying defensively and limiting mental lapses, Syracuse is at its apex.

Can he string together an exceptional three-week stretch? Who knows. But all the pieces for Griffin are there. He has all the talent, athleticism and shot-making ability. He just needs to continue putting it together on both ends. He’s shown steady progress since the season began, but the time to make a leap is now.

Up-and-down play of Joe Girard III continues against depleted Boston College (DO; Emerman)

Joe Girard III’s inconsistent performance against Boston College embodies why he’s become such a lightning rod for discussion in central New York.

In the first half, Girard was sensational. He tallied 16 points by stroking two 3-pointers and beating his defender off the dribble. He took advantage of Quinnipiac transfer Rich Kelly in a mismatch and got to the rim.

“The first half, Quincy (Guerrier) was off his game,” head coach Jim Boeheim said postgame. “Kadary (Richmond) was off his game… Marek (Dolezaj) probably had one of the worst offensive halves he had all year, and Joe just carried us. He just put us on his shoulders and carried us in the first half.”

In the second half, though, Girard scored no points, dished one assist and hauled in two rebounds. He wasn’t necessarily terrible, just quiet. Boeheim praised his facilitating, and Girard said he was just taking what the defense gave him.

New Syracuse basketball target Blue Cain scored 70-plus points in game (itlh; Adler)

New Syracuse basketball 2023 target Blue Cain is only a sophomore in high school, and he’s already put up some ridiculous numbers.

The 6-foot-4 guard, who attends Knoxville Catholic High School in Knoxville, Tenn., “scored 73 points in a game last season,” according to an article from postandcourier.com. That’s mighty impressive.

Cain, who competes for Knoxville-based B. Maze Elite on the AAU circuit, recently disclosed his scholarship offer from the Orange via his Twitter page.

Per his bio on the Verbal Commits Web site, at this juncture, Cain’s other offers are from South Carolina, Howard and ETSU. Given some of the highlights that I’ve perused on him online, I’d expect his offer sheet to continue expanding, and on a national scale.

Blessed to receive an offer from Syracuse University. pic.twitter.com/cnGrhJZrRk
— Blue Cain (@BlueCain1) February 10, 2021

Matthew Gutierrez, who covers the ‘Cuse for The Athletic, wrote in a tweet that Cain has garnered interest from a handful of other high-major squads, such as former Big East Conference rival Georgetown, Tennessee, Iowa State, Florida and Seton Hall.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star Justin Taylor sees blue-blood, others enter mix (itlh; Adler)

For a while now, Syracuse basketball coaches have made 2022 four-star wing Justin Taylor a high-priority in this recruiting cycle, and the talented 6-foot-6 prospect has detailed his strong relationship with head coach Jim Boeheim and his assistants in several recent interviews.

It appears that the Orange is in a solid position with Taylor, however, the competition for his services is growing more and more intense. Case in point, Taylor recently disclosed via Twitter that he has received scholarship offers from fellow Atlantic Coast Conference foe North Carolina, as well as former Big East Conference rival Providence.

Taylor, a junior at the St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Va., also picked up an offer from his hometown collegiate team, Virginia, in early December, per his Twitter page.

Those more recent developments are just the tip of the iceberg as it pertains to Taylor’s recruitment. He also holds offers from the likes of Indiana, Virginia Tech, Georgetown, Maryland, N.C. State, Butler and Marquette, among others. Taylor’s offer count is approaching 20 at this juncture.

Thankful to have received an offer from the University of North Carolina! pic.twitter.com/mShfgjMoE8
— justin taylor (@jctbball12) February 13, 2021

Syracuse basketball is in a recruiting battle for 2022 four-star wing Justin Taylor.

According to analysts, Taylor is an extremely gifted shooter with excellent size who can score in a variety of ways. He has a stellar basketball IQ, possesses under-rated athleticism, and excels on both ends of the floor.

MBB: Which ACC Coaches will be around in 2025? (RX; HM)

MBB: Which ACC Coaches will be around in 2025?

CSNBBS had what I thought was an interesting poll this weekend: which head coaches will still be coaching ACC men's basketball in 2025? I took the results, added a column for age (obviously 5.56% of the respondents didn't realize Leonard Hamilton is 72 years old!), sorted them by age, and highlighted those who got at least 1/15th (6.7%) of the vote...

SchoolCoachagebeganpoll
SyracuseJim Boeheim7619761.39%
DukeMike Krzyzewski7419802.78%
Florida StateLeonard Hamilton7220025.56%
MiamiJim Larrañaga7120114.17%
UNCRoy Williams7020031.39%
Notre DameMike Brey6120002.78%
Virginia TechMike Young57201911.11%
Boston CollegeJim Christian5620141.39%
Wake ForestSteve Forbes5520205.56%
ClemsonBrad Brownell5220109.72%
VirginiaTony Bennett51200916.67%
LouisvilleChris Mack51201816.67%
NC StateKevin Keatts4820176.94%
PittJeff Capel46201811.11%
Georgia TechJosh Pastner4320162.78%

Virginia Tech's Mike Young won't be young in 2025, but at least he won't have reached retirement age yet. Meanwhile, there are already five ACC head coaches - Boeheim, Krzyzewski, Hamilton, Larrañaga and Williams - who are over 70 years old. Understandably, pollsters don't expect any of those - along with Mike Brey, who will be 65 in 2025 himself - to still be coaching.

6029d6d4ba907.image.jpg

Big night from Nik Djogo delivers Notre Dame another ACC win (ndinsider.com)

Throw another win in the Atlantic Coast Conference bag to start a big week with two left to get.

Having won five of seven league games heading into Sunday’s home contest with Miami (Fla.), Notre Dame looked at this stretch of three ACC contests in seven days as a big opportunity to make a big move up the league standings.

Graduate student guard Nik Djogo scored a season high 18 points as the Irish made it six wins in their last eight ACC games, 71-61, at Purcell Pavilion. Notre Dame improves to 9-10, 6-7 ACC. Miami falls to 7-12, 3-11.

"Getting consistent minutes, the coaching staff expects a lot out of me, more than they did in the past," Djogo said. "I take that seriously and have a lot of pride in the things I can do for the team."

Playing its first game since winning at Duke on Tuesday, Notre Dame led by three with 3:36 left before a 7-0 spurt pushed its advantage to double digits (66-56) with 1:36 remaining. It was the largest Irish lead of the night in a game often played within a two-possession window.

"You knew it was going to be a hard game," said Irish coach Mike Brey. "Could we win a hard game? Open looks, but we didn't make them. They keep coming at us. Even though it wasn't pretty, we figured out a way to win a hard game. We've come a long way with our mental toughness."

Other

RJE5UCCLIRGYJIJZJAFTBTDLJU.png

More snow expected in CNY as winter storm warning is issued (PS; Libonati)

A winter storm warning has been issued for much of Central New York as 8 to 12 inches of snow is expected to fall on Monday and Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service.

The warning was issued for portions of Onondaga, Oneida, Cayuga, Madison and Cortland counties. It is expected to last from 10 a.m. Monday through 4 p.m. Tuesday.

About an inch of snow is expected to fall during the day on Monday with heavier snow moving in on Monday night and into Tuesday morning, according to the National Weather Service. The snow should stop falling by late Tuesday morning or early Tuesday afternoon, the National Weather Service said.

Forecasters for the National Weather Service have said Central New York could see two winter storms this week, with the second being a bigger storm than the first.

Last edited:
Villanova, VT and Kansas are all over-rated. None of them will make it to the second weekend.

Villanova, VT and Kansas are all over-rated. None of them will make it to the second weekend.

Haven't seen a ton of Nova this season, but I agree about VT and Kansas