Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
vintage-happy-new-year-wallpapers-1600x1200_full_width.jpg
Welcome to Old New Year's Day!

Old New Year's Day—the day that was seen as being the start of the new year—was observed on March 25 by many countries up until the creation of the Gregorian calendar in 1582. Even after this, some countries still observed the new year on March 25. This had begun in some places after Dionysius Exiguus introduced the Anno Domini calendar in 525 CE. Dionysius assigned March 25 as the new year because Jesus was to be conceived on the Annunciation, nine months before Christmas Day. The new year also was placed at this time because it was near the spring equinox.

Many countries in Europe used "Annunciation style dating" or "Lady Day style dating" during the Middle Ages and after. Scotland changed its new year to January 1 in 1600. England began observing New Year's Day on March 25 in 1155, and did so until they adopted the modern day Gregorian calendar in 1752. In England and nearby areas, during the March 25 new year, year-long contracts between landowners and tenant farmers began and ended. Farmers moving to new farms would travel on this day. When the calendar changed in 1752, these customs began being done on April 5. The UK tax year still follows the old calendar today. The tax year begins on April 6, which adds twelve days to March 25. Russia did not adopt the new calendar until 1918, and the Old New Year's Day is still regularly celebrated in some countries.

SU News

6GUMU63S7REUFNRL2K2OK2PFPE.JPG

Robert Braswell’s emerges from painful shins, bench time to be SU savior in primetime (PS; $; Ditota)

At first, Elijah Hughes posted the video of Robert Braswell to poke fun at his Syracuse teammate. The two friends shared the same dry sense of humor and Hughes, with his playful personality, liked zooming in for extreme close-ups of Braswell doing something as innocuous as taking a bite of a sandwich. Hughes then turned that moment into a cinematic social media experience.

Soon, people were sending Hughes direct messages begging for more Braswell content.

“And it just became a thing,” Hughes said. “It got funnier and funnier.”

The videos opened a brief, unexpected window into the quiet, reserved Braswell, who in his three years in Syracuse remains as enigmatic as when he arrived as a little-known, late-in-the-recruiting-game find by SU assistant coach Allen Griffin.

Somehow, Braswell has become a pivotal piece for Syracuse during the postseason. In SU’s last four games, he’s averaging 9.3 points on 14-of-22 overall shooting and 7-for-14 marksmanship from the 3-point line. He’s playing 25.5 minutes per game during that period and has impressed his coaches with his savvy in a 2-3 zone that has, at times, befuddled opponents.

“He’s been huge. A big part of this run,” said SU assistant coach Adrian Autry, who works with the Orange forwards. “His production off the bench can’t be talked about enough. He’s been really good for us.”

Joseph Girard III gives Syracuse ‘scary’ duo at March Madness (nypost.com; Braziller)

Buddy Boeheim has been one of the big stars of the NCAA Tournament, as the Hall of Fame coach’s son has led his team to the Sweet 16. But his backcourt mate, Joseph Girard III, hasn’t been forgotten by Jim Boeheim, either.

“He’s playing great basketball in this tournament,” Syracuse’s coach said Wednesday over Zoom. “Probably a little underrated.”

The sophomore has rebounded from an inconsistent season to play big in both of the No. 11 Orange’s wins in the tournament, averaging 12 points and team-highs of seven assists and six rebounds.

New York State’s all-time leading scorer out of Glens Falls, he’s made 7 of 16 3-point attempts after shooting just 33.1 percent from deep during the regular season. This is only the second time all year Girard has scored in double figures in consecutive games.

“He loves having the fans here, probably more than anyone. He builds off of that,” Buddy Boeheim said. “It’s a lot of fun being out there with him because when we [both get going], it’s scary for other teams.”

Mediocre until March: Why Syracuse's zone baffles NCAA foes (yahoo.com; Thamel)

Rewind back a generation, and a time existed when Jim Boeheim’s presence on the sideline in an NCAA tournament game brought with it a perceived tactical liability. In 1991, Boeheim became the first coach to lose a first-round NCAA tournament game as a No. 2 seed. Playing Syracuse in that era brought with it a reputation for loaded rosters and a roll-the-ball-out mentality.

Boeheim’s reputation as an NCAA tournament coach has boomeranged, with a Final Four run in 1996 as a No. 4 seed, a national title in 2003 with a No. 3 seed and a more recent affinity for punctuating regular season mediocrity with postseason brilliance.

USATSI_15771004-e1616628762497-1024x684.jpg

Devo, G Mac and the evolution of Syracuse shooting star Buddy Boeheim into Buddy Buckets (theathletic.com; $; O'Neil)

What happens when you take one part Eric Devendorf and mix it with one part Gerry McNamara? Buckets. Buddy Buckets, to be exact. The shooting phenom currently swishing, flexing and posturing his way across Indianapolis is the son of Jim and Juli Boeheim. But for basketball purposes — and more specifically this NCAA Tournament basketball purposes — Buckets, or Buddy Boeheim as he is more commonly known, is what you get when two hoops scientists go into their gym lab and concoct a shooting monster.

Once a spot-up shooter who loved the game but lacked the confidence to own it, Boeheim has almost single-handedly shot Syracuse into the Sweet 16. He dropped 30 against San Diego State and 25 against West Virginia, including 23 in the second half as the Orange fought off a Mountaineers rally. Moving into the regional semifinals, Boeheim ranks sixth in points scored, but of the guys ranked above him only two are still playing — UCLA’s Johnny Juzang and Kevin Obanor of Oral Roberts, and Juzang needed three games to get there.

Syracuse Basketball: Tourney runs make up for regular-season struggles (itlh; Adler)

From 2009 to 2014, in what I consider one of the golden eras of Syracuse basketball, the Orange put forth a bunch of campaigns where it fared well in both the regular season and in March Madness.

Since the Orange moved from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference for the 2013-14 stanza, the ‘Cuse has performed at a somewhat sub-par level during numerous of its regular-season terms.

That has, understandably, left a lot of Orange fans feeling frustrated. At the same time, in recent years, Syracuse basketball went to the Final Four in 2016, the ‘Cuse made the Sweet 16 in 2018, and now the Orange is again in the regional semi-finals during the 2021 Big Dance.

As we all know by now, since it’s a constant talking point among national analysts and commentators, these three strong runs in the NCAA Tournament have occurred for Syracuse basketball while the team was a double-digit seed.

That is absolutely remarkable, in my humble opinion. But it also speaks to the theme that the ‘Cuse has resided on the proverbial bubble a bunch in recent stanzas. Selection Sunday has undeniably proved stressful for the Orange and its fan base of late.

Syracuse basketball is making up for so-so regular seasons with stellar tourney journeys.

In an ideal scenario, the ‘Cuse would revert back to its form of 2009 to 2014, and the Orange would roll through regular seasons, receive high seeds in the NCAA Tournament, and find itself suiting up deep in March Madness.

However, I don’t want to sound too greedy. So the question to consider here is whether it’s “better” for Syracuse basketball to win, say, 25 or more games in the regular stanza but then exit the Big Dance early.

Syracuse guard Buddy Boeheim has emerged as an NBA prospect - The Juice Online (the juice; Gustin)

Wednesday afternoon, Jim and Buddy Boeheim spoke to the media ahead of Saturday night’s Sweet 16 matchup against Houston. Here are the key takeaways.

Syracuse has come a long way

Step back in the time machine for a moment to Feb. 27. The Orange had just lost a critical Quadrant 1 game matchup on the road to Georgia Tech, dropping them to 13-8 overall and 7-7 in conference.

At the time, there was little evidence to support the Orange passing the eye test of an NCAA Tournament team, nor did SU have the resume for it.

But the Orange revived its hopes with a three-game winning streak, topping North Carolina, Clemson and NC State for Quadrant 2 wins, which allowed them to sneak into the Tournament as an 11-seed. And for the third time in the past five (playable) seasons, the Orange is again in the Sweet 16 as a double-digit seed.

“I’m really happy for these guys to put the work in, go through the ups and downs of this season,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “I’m really happy for them and what they’ve done.”

Jim Boeheim heard the rumblings and read the press clippings. But those were mostly an aberration among the Orange fan base.

“The vast majority of people are very supportive of us and everything we’ve done, supportive of our teams,” he said. “I’ve been very fortunate to have the support we have in Syracuse… I’m very thankful for that.”

Syracuse Basketball: This March is maddening, just the way it should be (itlh; Adler)

Come on, my fellow Syracuse basketball fanatics. You totally had the Orange, Loyola Chicago, Oregon State, Oral Roberts and UCLA in the Sweet 16, right?

Okay, maybe you had the ‘Cuse making it to the regional semi-finals, since Syracuse basketball has a knack in recent years of landing in the Big Dance as a double-digit seed and then proceeding to go on a magical run in March Madness.

But my bracket got busted when some of these other NCAA Tournament darlings pulled off huge upsets in the first two rounds, and I bet yours did, too. So long Illinois, Ohio State, Iowa, Kansas, Texas, West Virginia, Purdue, Virginia and Oklahoma State.

Mid-March to early April. It’s the best stretch of the year for me, since I’m a huge college basketball aficionado. That includes my passion for the Orange, but this annual tournament – particularly after it was canceled in 2020 due to the novel coronavirus pandemic – as a whole is simply a gem. It’s too good.

Syracuse basketball is knee-deep in a roller-coaster NCAA Tournament.

The Big Ten and Big 12 Conferences put forth tremendous performances during the 2020-21 regular season, and those two leagues had an abundance of their members’ names called on Selection Sunday.

Naturally, given the wild and wackiness that is March, as we embark on the Sweet 16 in a few days, the rugged Big Ten and Big 12 Conferences have a combined two squads in the regional semi-finals. Of course, that pair of groups are No. 1 seeds Baylor and Michigan, each of which could easily cut down the nets in early April.

ESPN Re-Seeds the Sweet 16, Where Did They Rank Syracuse? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Amendolara)

After squeaking into the NCAA Tournament and rattling off two impressive wins, it’s time to rethink Syracuse. That being said, it’s time to rethink the entire bracket. Who could’ve seen 15-seed Oral Roberts still dancing? Or the worst power conference, the PAC-12, with 25% of the field left? ESPN.com looked at the Sweet 16 and re-seeded the bracket. Sixteen teams, four 1-seeds, four 2-seeds, four 3-seeds, 4 four-seeds. Gonzaga was the obvious top overall seed, and the pair of other 1-seeds predictably came in at #2 and #3 (Baylor and Michigan).

ESPN put the Alabama at #4 (the final “1-seed”). Again, no surprise. Then it gets interesting. Loyola-Chicago slots in at #5, Villanova #6 and FSU at #7. Syracuse – notably ahead of the 2-seed it’ll play Saturday night – came in at #8. Which means the final “2-seed” of the new imaginary bracket.

When Syracuse battles Houston Saturday night, they will actually be underdogs in the game by 6 points, however if the Orange recipe for success keeps working (amazing shooting from three and added pressure on defense) this could be another SU win.

In six memorable games in the 2003 NCAA tournament, Carmelo Anthony averaged 20.1 PPG and made 48% of his 3-point attempts. We would never suggest Buddy Boeheim is superior to Anthony, who led Syracuse on that national title run. But Boeheim’s numbers, thus far, are better. He is averaging 27.5 PPG and connecting on 57% of his 3-point attempts for a Syracuse team that beat San Diego State and West Virginia to advance to the Sweet 16.

KENNY'S 2 PENNIES: Buddy Ball has the 'Cuse dancing to Sweet Sixteen (podcast) - Fingerlakes1.com (fingerlakes1.com; video; Kenny)

After an awesome first weekend for the Syracuse Orange men’s basketball team at the NCAA Tournament. The incredible shooting of Buddy Boeheim lifted Syracuse into the Sweet Sixteen where they will face Houston on Saturday night. Keep it rolling ‘Cuse!

Never underestimate a woman who understands basketball and loves Syracuse shirt, hoodie, sweater and v-neck t-shirt (nemoshirt.com)

This is just for background. I was still hopeful about patching things up with my ex. We had a nice Thanksgiving with my son, my daughter in law and my grandkids. My ex and I slept in separate beds. Christmas comes around and I’m a Christmas nut. My ex tells me she wants to go to Oregon to spend Christmas with her cousins. Well that was it for me but in spite of that I told myself to wait and see when she gets back to New Orleans. Things were ok until I had to go to Houston on business for 2 days and 2 nights. I ask her to take care of my dog for 2 nights. I took care of her cats when she went to Oregon. She meanly says to me, “I’m not taking care of your dog. We’re separated”. I did not know that’s what she thought. I filed for divorce the Never underestimate a woman who understands basketball and loves Syracuse shirt

Other

6W2LT53CR5H4LDO5KEEMGLQJEM.jpg

Looking back at Syracuse University’s founding and the creation of Orange basketball (PS; $; Searing)

March Madness has once again taken hold of Central New York. This year, it is a particularly magnificent mania as the Syracuse University men’s and women’s basketball teams made the N.C.A.A Tournament.

Historically, March has been good for the Syracuse Orange.

The men’s team is among the top ten teams all-time in tournament wins with sixty-six, and the women’s team has seen increased success in recent years.

Yet, whatever the outcome on the hardwood, March provides another reason for an annual celebration at Syracuse University, the school’s birthday.

Later this week, the world-renowned institution turns 151 years old.

As the story goes, shortly before the Civil War ended in the spring of 1865, Ezra Cornell visited his friend and fellow New York State Senator, Andrew D. White, at White’s residence in Syracuse.

Good article by Donna on Braswell. I think most of us had noticed that he didn't really show much emotion on the court and that's just the way he is. Nothing wrong with that.

Good article by Donna on Braswell. I think most of us had noticed that he didn't really show much emotion on the court and that's just the way he is. Nothing wrong with that.
Yes. Bras is a kid who is easy to root for. Glad he is seeing all his hard work finally paying off on the court.