Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Deep-Dish-Pizza-Day.jpg
Welcome to National Deep Dish
Pizza Day!

National Deep Dish Pizza Day celebrates deep-dish pizza, a variation of the Chicago-style pizza. The pizza was created at Chicago's Pizzeria Uno in 1943, either by the pizzeria's founder, Ike Sewell, or by its original pizza chef, Rudy Malnati. A high-edged steel pan, almost resembling a cake or pie pan, is used to bake the pizza. It is oiled so the pizza can be easily removed, and to give the crust a fried look. Dough is pressed on the bottom and sides of the pan; the buttery, cornmeal crust is not very thick itself but may be three inches tall on the edges, in order to hold all the ingredients.

The great thickness of the pizza after the ingredients are added means that it needs a longer baking time. If cheese was placed on the top it would burn, so with this type of pizza the order of toppings is reversed. The crust is covered with cheese, often sliced mozzarella. Meats such as pepperoni or sausage are then added, as well as vegetables such as mushrooms, onions, and green peppers. Uncooked sauce, usually made from crushed canned tomatoes, goes on top.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Cole Swider, Benny Williams forward duo is stellar (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball may have missed on talented forward Cole Swider when he was coming out of high school, but the Orange has picked him up now, at the perfect time, nonetheless, with other ‘Cuse players entering into the NCAA’s transfer portal.

Swider, a junior who only recently said that he would transfer from Villanova, revealed on Saturday night via Twitter that he is committing to the Orange. Naturally, a flood of Syracuse basketball fanatics, myself included, are totally jazzed about this development.

The ‘Cuse has already lost one forward to the transfer portal, redshirt sophomore forward Robert Braswell, and sophomore Quincy Guerrier is testing the NBA Draft waters.

Questions remain unanswered about other forwards on the Syracuse basketball roster, including senior Marek Dolezaj, junior Alan Griffin and freshman Woody Newton. Another freshman forward, Chaz Owens, is expected to return.

So for Syracuse basketball coaches to scoop up Swider at this juncture is monumentally important. At 6-foot-9, Swider has the potential to be a real disruptor in the 2-3 zone, and he is exceptional at shooting from beyond the arc.

All Glory to God! I will be committing to Syracuse University. Go Orange!
— Cole Swider (@coleswider21) April 3, 2021

Syracuse Basketball: Vols a strong 2021 case for Brandon Huntley-Hatfield (itlh; Adler)

The recruiting business is a fickle one, and things can change in a hurry, but for now, it does seem like Syracuse basketball has a decent chance at landing 2022 five-star prospect Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, even if two Southeastern Conference teams are getting more buzz for the elite power forward.

The Orange offered the 6-foot-9 Huntley-Hatfield a scholarship last December, at which time he put the ‘Cuse in his top six, along with Ole Miss, Kansas, Wake Forest, Tennessee and Auburn.

I’ve read a slew of analyst reports in recent months, and some recruiting insiders have pegged Ole Miss as the front-runner for Huntley-Hatfield for a while now.

However, more recently, Tennessee has picked up some analyst predictions on the 247Sports Web site and https://n./content/prospects/2022/brandon-huntley-hatfield-233089#forecast-reasons for the junior at Scotland Campus in Scotland, Pa., and the Volunteers do seem to have some nice momentum with Huntley-Hatfield, as far as I can tell.

Huntley-Hatfield, by the way, is almost universally considered the No. 1 power forward in his class, as well as the No. 1 prospect out of Pennsylvania and a top-10 player overall in the 2022 recruiting cycle. He would be a huge pick-up for the Orange in its 2022 class if Huntley-Hatfield were to choose the ‘Cuse.

Syracuse basketball has stiff SEC competition for 2022 prospect Brandon Huntley-Hatfield.

Analysis: How Cole Swider Fits at Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse picked up a significant addition to its 2021-22 roster in transfer forward Cole Swider. With the departure of Robert Braswell, Swider is a key piece for the Orange.

AS A HIGH SCHOOL PROSPECT

Cole Swider was a consensus top 50 prospect. He had some big high major offers including Duke, Michigan, Syracuse, Texas, Villanova and Xavier. Swider took official visits to Duke, Syracuse, Villanova and Texas. Syracuse was among the schools that recruited him the hardest. He was considered a top 10 power forward in the 2018 recruiting cycle.

SCOUTING REPORT

Cole Swider is an elite shooter, but he is not just that. Swider was a prolific three point shooter in high school and that translated to his time at Villanova. He shot over 40% from the outside last season. Swider, however, has other elements to his game. He can hit the mid-range shot, attack off the dribble and finish around the rim.

Swider has added 15 pounds of muscle to his frame with the Wildcats and is up to 225-pounds. That allows him to be physical inside, play in the post at times and also score through contact. His body type and strength could allow him to play in the middle of the zone if Syracuse elects to go small at times. Similar to how the Orange used Tyler Lydon. Swider has a better handle than most would think and is also a solid passing forward.

As a rebounder, Swider is not afraid to mix it up inside. He shows solid rebounding instincts, so his numbers on the boards should improve with a more consistent role. On a per 40 minutes basis, Swider averaged 12.9 points and six rebounds per game.

Cole Swider reveals why he's transferring to Syracuse: 'It was meant to be' (DO; Emerman)

When Cole Swider was a 14-year-old freshman at St. Andrew’s (R.I.) high school, he rode the public bus for 45 minutes to and from his school and his house 12 miles away in Portsmouth.

His days started with wake-ups at 5:30 a.m. and ended when he got home around 8:30 p.m. There were early morning workouts and late-night, post-practice shootarounds. Practice was after school, but he’d go early to work out before school. His head coach, Mike Hart, once walked in on him doing agility drills with a speed ladder before 7 a.m.

St. Andrew’s alumni include former Syracuse stars Demetris Nichols and Michael Carter-Williams, but Swider “was a little different” than his other players, Hart said.

“He’s a really focused kid,” Hart said. “(Jim) Boeheim just got a kid who’s going to be there an hour before and stay an hour after. That’s how he is.”

Syracuse saw that type of determination years ago, when assistant coach Gerry McNamara led Swider’s recruitment the first time around. Swider, a premiere 3-point marksman in the 2018 class, chose Villanova over Syracuse.

The work ethic followed him to Nova, but the opportunities didn’t. Although his mindset on the game mirrored Jay Wright’s program, his offense-first playing style subverted him to a reserve role. The sharpshooter averaged 4.4 field goal attempts per game in his three seasons with the Wildcats.

When he noticed a logjam in Villanova’s frontcourt due to every player receiving an extra year of eligibility, he knew it was time for a change. McNamara called Swider as soon as he entered the transfer portal and handed the phone over to Boeheim. Now, Syracuse has a stretch-four that shot 40.2% from 3 for Villanova as a junior in 2020-21.

“I honestly never thought I would transfer from Villanova, but at the end of the day, looking at the situation, I had Syracuse in the back of my mind when I entered the portal,” Swider said in an interview. “It just worked out perfectly. I thought it was meant to be.”

5 years after: A look back at No. 10 Syracuse’s unexpected run to Final Four (DO; Vasudevan & Shetty)

Five Marches ago, Tyler Lydon’s childhood basketball dreams reached fruition. As a kid, Lydon had two dreams: play for a big school in the NCAA Tournament, and win the national championship. Of course, he had NBA aspirations. But collegiate success, which eventually unfolded in the form of playing for Syracuse during the team’s improbable 2016 Final Four run, came first.

“My dreams were coming true right in front of my eyes,” Lydon said. “To be in the Final Four with 70,000 fans is the coolest thing I’ve ever experienced.”

The unlikely NCAA Tournament run in 2016 started with a 9-9 regular-season conference record. But the Orange were able to secure a No. 10 seed and upset No. 7 Dayton, and then went on to beat No. 15 Middle Tennessee and then No. 11 Gonzaga. But the Orange’s signature win came in an upset win over No. 1 seed Virginia, one where head coach Jim Boeheim’s team came back and used a 21-6 run to close out the game.

“I mean, I thought we deserved to be in the tournament,” Boeheim said after the game. “But I certainly didn’t — I wasn’t planning on getting to the Final Four.”

Johnny Oliver, 2015-16 Otto’s Army vice president, remembers exactly where he was sitting the day of that game. He remembers Malachi Richardson leading the Orange back from their 14-point, second-half deficit. Most of all, he remembers that against the Cavaliers — a team that never blew leads — SU “defied all odds.”

“The night that they beat UVA, outside of getting married and getting engaged, I would say that was the best night of my life,” Oliver said.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...top-5-plays-regular-season-acc-tournament(SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball's 2020-21 season came to an end in the Sweet-16 of the NCAA Tournament. The ACC Digital Network released the top five plays for the Orange from the regular season and ACC Tournament. Here are the five plays they selected (you can watch in the video at the top of the screen).

5. GIRARD DISH TO DOLEZAJ IN ACC TOURNAMENT

Against NC State in the ACC Tournament, Joe Girard was dribbling at the top of the key. Dolezaj set a screen and then cut towards the hoop. When both defenders went with Girard, we flipped a one handed pass to Dolezaj who caught the ball, took two steps and slammed the ball through the net. It was a perfect pass and a highlight reel dunk.

4. GRIFFIN BEHIND THE BACK TO GUERRIER

Early in the ACC Tournament game against Virginia, Dolezaj had the ball just outside the paint near the elbow. Alan Griffin cut down the lane and Dolezaj delivered a perfect bounce pass to him. Griffin caught the ball, saw a Virginia defender rotate to him, and tapped the ball behind his back towards Guerrier along the baseline. Guerrier finished the play with a wide open dunk.

3. BUDDY FALLING DOWN FLIP SHOT VS UNC

Syracuse needed a win against North Carolina to keep any NCAA Tournament hopes alive. Leading in the second half, Buddy Boeheim was posting up his defender and backing him towards the lane. When Buddy turned to attack the basket, he was bumped and started to stumble. Anticipating a foul call, Buddy flipped the ball towards the basket with one hand as he fell to the ground. The foul was called and the ball went in for a spectacular bucket.

What NBA player does Syracuse G Buddy Boeheim compare best with? - The Juice Online (the juice; Dagostino)

Amidst the current transfer carousel that exists within the Syracuse basketball program (and across the country), there is one certainty: Buddy Boeheim is returning for his senior season.

The sheer fact that that statement needed to be made shows you just how far Boeheim has come this season. I mean, would anyone have thought Boeheim would have been on the NBA radar during his junior season, let alone at all?

When I’m not moonlighting as a writer for The Juice, I am, uh…sunshining (?) as a producer for TBS during its March Madness coverage. On more than one occasion, studio analysts Andy Katz (a long-time NCAA insider), Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith (who both know a thing or two about NBA talent) heaped praise on Boeheim as “Syracuse’s best player” and “a next-level talent.”

Could it be?

For long stretches of this season, the label of “best Syracuse player” was shared by both Quincy Guerrier or, at times, Alan Griffin. Meanwhile, Boeheim was slumbering his way through the middle of February, battling a bout with COVID-19 and carrying a 37 percent field goal percentage and shooting just 29 percent from beyond the arc.

But, something clicked for Boeheim from that point on, as he scored in double figures in each of Syracuse’s final 12 games. He scored at least 20 points in seven of his final 10 games, averaging 23 points per game in that span.

His shooting percentages? Up to 57 percent overall and 45 percent from deep. And, once postseason play hit, he averaged 25 points in five games. And that included being blanketed by Houston’s DeJon Jarreau, who held Boeheim to 12 points on 3-of-13 shooting.

YHERKUM5ONGXLGFQV3WXLJZ5WY.jpeg

North Texas's Javion Hamlet (3) shoots over Villanova's Cole Swider (10) during the first half of a second-round game in the NCAA men's college basketball tournament at Bankers Life Fieldhouse, Sunday, March 21, 2021, in Indianapolis.

Axe: What offseason? Syracuse basketball kept busy by the transfer portal (PS; $; Axe)

It’s been just over a week since the 2020-21 Syracuse University men’s basketball season ended and it is only just beginning to feel like the season is over.

After Syracuse lost to Houston in the Sweet 16, the “offseason” went into ludicrous speed as the transfer portal kept on knocking loudly at the door.

Tracking the comings and goings from the portal was a dizzying affair.

During a radio conversation last Monday, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim told me that up to six players could transfer out of the program. In fact, we got official word that Syracuse players Robert Braswell and John Bol Ajak had entered the portal during the interview.

“Buckle your safety belt,” Boeheim warned us during that radio chat.

A week later, Kadary Richmond, Braswell and Bol Ajak are out.

Symir Torrence and Cole Swider are in.

The portal giveth and the portal taketh away.

Losing Richmond is going to sting for Syracuse. There is no getting around that.

Twitter provided its usual snark (imagine that) about Torrence’s low numbers at Marquette. Torrence played sparingly at Marquette last season. He averaged 13.1 minutes, shot .311 overall (19-of-61) and .139 from the 3-point line (5-of-36).

MBB: Weird 2021 NCAA Factoid (RX; HM)

MBB: Weird 2021 NCAA Factoid

Here's a weird little factoid for you:

When Baylor and Houston meet on Saturday in the men's NCAA tournament national semifinal, they will start more transfers (six) than they will players they signed out of high school (four).

From SI's "Baylor, Houston Embody the Unprecedented Importance of Transfers in Men's Game".

Screen%20Shot%202020-08-19%20at%2012.24.21%20PM.png

The longest college basketball game ever: What we know (ncaa.com)

Kevin Gaffney couldn't eat. He was too exhausted.

The former Cincinnati guard had every reason to be. He had just played in the longest college basketball game in Division I men's history, according to the official NCAA record book.

On Dec. 21, 1981, his Bearcats defeated the Bradley Braves, 75-73, in seven overtime periods at Robertson Memorial Field House in Peoria, Illinois. It took 75 minutes of game time (35 of which came after regulation) to determine a winner. Cincinnati guard Bobby Austin and Bradley center Donald Reese each played 73 minutes — another single-game record that stands to this day.

"I know me and my roommate, Dwight Jones, we wanted to go straight to the hotel," Gaffney told NCAA.com in a phone interview. "I don't even think we took off our sweatpants — hopped on the bed and was gone."

"It was a very competitive game," said Dave Snell, the radio play-by-play voice of Bradley men's basketball. "It was ballyhooed because Cincinnati used to be in the Missouri Valley Conference. That was when both teams were very good (and) fighting for a championship."

"So the rivalry, from days gone by, added a lot to that game."

Snell has called Braves games since 1979. He's seen his fair share of history, from Hersey Hawkins' 63-point performance against Detroit in 1988 to Bradley's Sweet 16 run in the 2006 NCAA tournament.

But the seven-overtime classic against Cincinnati was, and still is, unprecedented. Snell was also nursing a sore throat during the game. And as the night dragged on, it had to be dealt with. He kept drinking water to stay fresh.

Chuck Buescher, a former Bradley player and longtime high school basketball coach, was on the broadcast with Snell.

"I don't remember exactly which overtime," Buescher said. "But in the second or third overtime, Dave says to me, 'If this doesn't end, I gotta go to the bathroom. You may have to do the play-by-play.'"

"I said, 'You better hurry.'"

Thankfully, Snell made it back before the action resumed. But take the word "action" lightly.

"(This game) was before the shot clock or the 3-point shot," Snell said. "That's why it went so long, because whoever won the tip (was) just holding the ball."

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article250418181.html (newsobserver.com; Brown)

North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham interviewed a lineup of men’s basketball coaching candidates suggested by former coach Roy Williams and all have ties to UNC, according to two sources familiar with the process.

The list included, but was not limited to, current UNC assistant coaches Steve Robinson and Hubert Davis, Vanderbilt head coach Jerry Stackhouse, Monmouth head coach King Rice and UNC Greensboro head coach Wes Miller. In addition to interviewing for the head coach position, one source indicated several candidates were also asked their interest in joining the staff in a supporting role.

When reached by text Sunday night, Cunningham told The News & Observer that the “search is progressing and my next comments will be about the new coach.”

Robinson served as arguably Williams’ most trusted assistant coach on his staff at Kansas for eight years and all 18 seasons of his time in Chapel Hill. Robinson spent a combined seven seasons as a head coach at Tulsa and Florida State. He’s had the second-longest tenure of an assistant coach at Carolina, behind Bill Guthridge’s 30 years on Dean Smith’s staff.

Williams handpicked Davis to join his staff after he served as a college basketball analyst on ESPN. Davis has been an assistant coach the last nine seasons and also served as head coach for Carolina’s junior varsity squad. Davis played at UNC under Smith from 1988-92 and had a 12-year career in the NBA.

Stackhouse has been the head coach at Vanderbilt for two seasons. Prior to that he won a G-League championship with Toronto Raptors’ affiliate franchise and was an assistant coach for the Raptors for one season. Stackhouse helped lead the Tar Heels to a 1995 Final Four appearance before embarking on an 18-year NBA career.

Rice was the 2021 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference Coach of the Year after leading Monmouth to its third league title in the past six seasons. Rice, who played for Smith and the Heels from 1987-91, has been the Hawks’ head coach for 10 seasons.

Other

As the state clears way for online sports betting, Central New York may be blocked out. Here’s why (PS; $; Cazentre)

A scenario is emerging in which a huge region of Central New York, and potentially a big chunk of western New York, could be left out of the state’s proposed online sports betting program.

State lawmakers and Gov. Andrew Cuomo are currently negotiating a deal in the new state budget that would clear the way for New Yorkers to place sports wagers through their smartphones and other devices.

But there’s growing concern that the plan would exclude areas in which Native American tribes have exclusive rights to host and operate gaming.

In Central New York, that would include Cayuga, Chenango, Cortland, Herkimer, Lewis, Madison, Oneida, Onondaga, Oswego and Otsego counties. The Oneida Indian Nation has exclusive gaming rights in that area under a 2013 settlement it reached with the state. That agreement included any potential for mobile sports betting.

It’s possible the issue would affect counties like Erie, Niagara and Cattaraugus in western New York, where the Seneca Nation has exclusive gaming rights. But its settlement has different terms.

Cuomo and lawmakers are at odds over how to manage online bets. Cuomo prefers a tightly controlled model that would operate like the State Lottery. Many leading lawmakers prefer allowing multiple vendors to take online bets through servers housed at Upstate New York’s four commercial (non Indian) casinos.

It’s been during those ongoing negotiations that the Oneida exclusivity has emerged as an issue.

JT3VXUKGKNFVTJSX4Z56MRKJYA.JPG

See the view at Syracuse’s new $4,200-a-month apartments, downtown’s priciest rent (photos) (PS; $; Moriarty)

Downtown Syracuse’s newest apartments offer sweeping views of the city, loads of amenities and rents up to $4,200 a month, believed to be the highest ever in the city.

Ten-story Washington Place opened this winter at 300 E. Washington St. near Syracuse City Hall with 212 apartments that the developer, Brooklyn-based Carnegie Management, says offer “New York City style living.”

The building, the biggest apartment project to enter the downtown market in years, is already about 50% leased, said leasing agent Trey West, of Acropolis Realty Group.

More than half of the most expensive apartments are leased, with those units attracting empty nesters, business owners, young professionals and medical residents, West said.

The building was built in 1970 and housed the offices of New York Telephone Co. and its successor, Nynex. It sat vacant for many years after Nynex closed its offices in the building.

Real estate investor Isaac Jacobowitz bought the building in 2006 and recently completed a $43 million transformation that turned its upper nine floors into luxury apartments. The first floor contains commercial space that is available for lease.

Rents at Washington Place start at $1,450 for studio units and go higher for the one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments.

The building’s top two floors include three-bedroom corner apartments that will run you from $3,927 to $4,255 a month. An informal survey of Syracuse rents listed on Apartments.com shows those to be the highest in the city. The next highest was $3,650, found at the State Tower building nearby.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom