Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Denim%20Day.jpg
Welcome to Denim Day!

In Italy in 1992, after being taken to an isolated road on her first driving lesson, an 18-year old girl was pulled from the car by her 45-year old driving instructor and raped. He was convicted but appealed saying that the sex was consensual. The rape conviction was overturned by the Italian Supreme Court and he was released. A statement from the court said that because the victim was wearing tight jeans she must have helped her attacker remove them, which implied consent. This line of thinking would become known as the "jeans alibi."

The following day, the women of the Italian Parliament wore jeans in solidarity with the victim and gathered on the steps of the Supreme Court. News of the case and the response spread around the world. In support, members of the California Senate and Assembly gathered on the steps of the Sacramento Capitol. Patricia Giggans, the Executive Director of Peace Over Violence, thought that jeans should be worn in protest, not only to show that jeans cannot be used as an alibi but to protest all the myths of why women and girls are raped. So, she created Denim Day. The first event was held in April 1999 in Los Angeles.

SU News

Syracuse's Jim Boeheim has rooting interest in Kentucky Derby (auburnpub.com; Wilkin)

Horse racing is way, way down on Syracuse University basketball coach Jim Boeheim's list of favorite sports.

"Honestly, I am not a big horse racing fan," Boeheim said by phone from his Syracuse office Monday afternoon. "I probably like 50 sports better than horse racing. I think I would watch curling before I would watch horse racing."

Boeheim would much rather talk about basketball and his players, including Glens Falls' Joseph Girard III. He did some of that on Monday, but he also had to say why, for one day, this Saturday, Boeheim will lift his moratorium on the sport of kings.

He'll be front and center at Churchill Downs as part of the ownership group of Hidden Stash, who is expected to be one of the longest prices when post positions and odds are announced at the Kentucky Derby draw at 11 Tuesday morning.

The 147th running of the Kentucky Derby will be on Saturday.
Hidden Stash, coming off a fourth-place finish in the Blue Grass Stakes at Keeneland in Lexington on April 3, is owned by BBN Racing, whose founding partners include former Troy High School and Manhattan College basketball player Brendan O'Brien and Brian Klatsky, who played hoops for a couple of seasons at Skidmore.

Both played in the 1990s.

Boeheim got on board the Hidden Stash bus when one of his best friends, Syracuse area businessman Adam Weitsman, gave the coach a piece of his share of the chestnut colt.

How good are Indiana, Tennessee and Syracuse? Was Wes Miller a good hire? College basketball mailbag (theathletic.com; $; Davis)

Losing Kadary Richmond to Seton Hall left plenty of Syracuse fans upset, but the program added Cole Swider (Villanova), Symir Torrence (Marquette) and the other Boeheim bro from Cornell. What do you make of Syracuse’s offseason and expectations for next year? — Tim L.

Syracuse’s run to the Sweet 16 as an 11-seed masked what was a pretty meh season. The Orange finished eighth in the ACC, were not ranked for a single week in the AP poll, and were blown out by Houston in their last game. Richmond’s decision to transfer was a tough blow considering he showed so much promise as a freshman, but Jim Boeheim got a good one in Swider, a 6-9 senior who brings much experience from a championship-caliber program, as well as the ability to stretch defenses with his 40.2 percent 3-point shooting. Another transfer, 6-8 junior forward Jimmy Boeheim, averaged 16.7 points in his last season at Cornell. Incoming freshman Benny Williams, a 6-8 forward from IMG Academy, is ranked No. 27 nationally by the 247Sports Composite, but the frontcourt is pretty packed next season, so his patience could be tested.

The biggest reason for optimism is the veteran backcourt.

Screen-Shot-2021-04-27-at-12.01.28-PM-1021x1024.png

What Are the Chances Donovan Clingan Ends Up On Syracuse? – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Ezeir)

If there’s one position that has lacked as of recent on the Hill, it’s the center slot. Over the past couple years, Bourama Sidibe and Paschal Chukwu have clogged the paint and added very minimal improvements to their respective SU groups. But a player who can change this fortune is Donovan Clingan, who just released his top eight schools, which includes Syracuse.

Clingan works as a true center at his size, but can also shoot the ball and displays fancy footwork from the elbow to the block. If you want to learn more about the four-star, we have you covered on Fizz.

But the overarching question is if Clingan will commit to Syracuse. It starts with ruling out the other schools from contention to see why the Orange are the best fit.

Donovan Clingan
@clingan_donovan

top8 https://t.co/6azKu6943V
https://twitter.com/clingan_donovan...ovan2Fstatus2F1386802906549137408widget=Tweet

Notre Dame

Mike Brey and the Fighting Irish have done their due diligence so it’s no shocker to see them on this list. Whenever a D1 program, especially in a power-5 conference like the ACC, stays in contact throughout early high school, the player usually gives them consideration.

That’s what ND’s spot on this list is, just consideration. The Fighting Irish went 11-15 last year and love to get out in transition and shoot the three. As a result, Notre Dame finished third in the conference in three-point shooting percentage, and second in attempts. The issue with Clingan going to South Bend is that the stuff in his arsenal, standing at 7’1”, won’t fit into this system.

Syracuse Basketball: Would love SU to pursue 4-star Arthur Kaluma again (itlh; Adler)

Former Syracuse basketball 2021 target Arthur Kaluma has received a release from his commitment to UNLV, according to numerous media reports.

That has left a bevy of Orange fans, myself included, wondering whether the ‘Cuse coaching staff may make another run at the 6-foot-8 power forward, who is a senior at Dream City Christian School in Glendale, Ariz.

Kaluma is universally deemed a four-star prospect by the main recruiting services, and he’s also a top-50 player across the country in the 2021 cycle.

When Kaluma committed to the Rebels last November, he picked UNLV over a group of other finalists that included Syracuse basketball, Arizona State, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and USC.

For a period of time during his recruiting process, multiple articles and comments from national recruiting analysts suggested that there was some solid buzz between the Orange and Kaluma.

But as his recruitment carried on, that buzz appeared to fade, and UNLV would emerge as the front-runner, according to several recruiting insiders. Ultimately, the Rebels won out.

However, now Kaluma wants to head elsewhere. It’s worth mentioning here that UNLV did announce a head-coaching change in March. T.J. Otzelberger resigned to become the head coach at Iowa State, with Kevin Kruger replacing him at the helm of the Rebels.

Syracuse Basketball: Getting 4-star Donovan Clingan out for visit is critical (itlh; Adler)

Now that elite 2022 big man Donovan Clingan has included Syracuse basketball in his top eight, it’s vital for the Orange coaching staff to line up a visit with him in the near future, at least in my humble opinion.

NCAA officials recently announced that all Division I sports may resume regular recruiting initiatives beginning on June 1, and high-school players are starting to plan for official or unofficial campus visits.

The 7-foot-1 Clingan, who recently put forth a tremendous junior year, has whittled down his list of suitors to the ‘Cuse, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgetown, Connecticut, Providence, Rutgers and fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member Notre Dame. This development came via his Twitter page.

First and foremost, it’s encouraging that the four-star center has kept Syracuse basketball in contention, but the competition is fierce. The Orange likely faces a massive uphill climb in trying to win the recruiting battle over Clingan, a consensus top-60 prospect in his class who attends Bristol Central High School in Bristol, Conn.

top 8 pic.twitter.com/6azKu6943V
— Donovan Clingan (@clingan_donovan) April 26, 2021

I’m not seeing any predictions for Clingan from analysts and other recruiting insiders, although a bevy of ‘Cuse fans believe that UConn and Michigan may be the two teams to beat.

For me, Clingan’s recruitment has proven so tough to gauge, and his top eight is filled with excellent squads, that it won’t surprise me at all if he ultimately picks any one of them.

ACC Schools Have Been Working On Monetizing NIL Rights (shakinthesouthland.com; bbm)

Some form of name, image, and likeness (aka NIL) rights for student-athletes is likely coming to college football by the 2021-2022 academic year. That’s not to say that this is going to happen seamlessly. The NCAA is attempting to wrangle some control of the situation while bipartisan bills come in from state and local legislators. There are significant differences in the degree of control the NCAA would retain under these bills. Under the circumstances, no one is certain what the future will look like exactly.

With that said, schools within and without the Atlantic Coast Conference have begun partnerships to pursue monetizing these rights. FSU, situated in a state that has already passed NIL legislation, has partnered with a firm to allow its athletes to monetize their NIL rights. UNC has a program for ex-athletes in their elite men’s basketball and women’s soccer programs. Wake Forest has partnered with a company started by an alum to navigate the NIL waters.

Closer to home, the ADs of Clemson and the University of South Carolina spoke in support of a NIL bill in the state senate. Clemson University AD Dan Radakovich indicated interest within his program, saying of Clemson athletes,

“I think our student athletes are very much interested and intrigued. I think they want to learn more to see how this process will work and once they learn that they’ll look at ways that it will best benefit them.”
University of South Carolina Athletic Director Ray Tanner went so far as to make a moral argument for the bill, saying that,

“It’s the right thing for all of our student athletes across the country to have this opportunity to engage in name, image and likeness.”
Schools aren’t pursuing these deals entirely out of the goodness of their hearts. Lost in the conversation about players profiting from their name, image, and likenesses is that conferences and universities will probably be getting some percentage of this revenue as well. There is also the belief, openly acknowledged in the SC state senate, that passing some form of NIL legislation can provide a slight recruiting advantage.

Syracuse Basketball: What an impeccable, top-tier 2022 class looks like (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball already has one verbal commitment in its 2022 class, elite wing Kamari Lands, and the Orange continues to pursue a range of top-flight targets in this cycle.

Head coach Jim Boeheim, and even ‘Cuse targets themselves, have spoken about the importance of the 2022 class for Syracuse basketball. Lands, a top-25 player in this cycle, got the ball rolling when he recently pledged his services to the Orange.

I’ve said for a long time now that I believe the ‘Cuse will end up with an excellent 2022 class, and I think it would prove fun to detail, position by position, my dream scenario for Syracuse basketball in this cycle.

At point guard, recruiting analysts say that the Orange continues to target four-star J.J. Starling from the La Lumiere School in La Porte, Ind., as well as three-star Quadir Copeland, who is transferring from the Life Center Academy in Burlington, N.J., to the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.

Trust me, I’d take either of these stars in a second. But in a perfect-world situation, I’m eyeing four-star Chance Westry, who attends the Sierra Canyon School in Chatsworth, Calif.

A lot of recruiting services list him as a combo guard, but I’ve read articles about Westry that speak to him suiting up at point guard as well. Westry is the goods.

When it comes to shooting guard, there is only one answer, and his name is Justin Taylor. The four-star Taylor, from the St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Va., is a terrific talent and has spoken highly of the ‘Cuse for a while now.

Top 10 biggest commitments from the college basketball transfer portal (yahoo.com; Peek)

There are over 1,500 players in the college basketball transfer portal this year, more than twice the number of players last season. The overwhelming number of players transferring comes from a decision from the NCAA stating that student-athletes can now transfer and not have to sit out a year. Due to COVID-19, seniors were also granted an additional year of eligibility, making the transfer portal much more competitive.

“The new transfer rule has created a lot of chaos for coaches this offseason,” one Big 12 assistant told Yahoo Sports. “It’s all about retaining talented players and either adding one or two top transfers or a high school recruit. Recruiting just got a lot more interesting.”

Players like Marcus Carr (Minnesota) and Marcus Bagley (Arizona State) are two top players testing the NBA waters but also putting their name in the transfer portal if they elect to return to college basketball for another year.

Other

IKND5J5JCZHPVGUDTNZZ6ETMSY.jpeg

Dino Safari Provided photo by Maura Roche (Imagine Exhibitions)

Roar! Dino Safari drive-thru adventure coming to NYS Fairgrounds (PS; $; Herbert)

Looking for some socially distanced fun with the family? Just say ROAR!

A new Dino Safari drive-thru adventure will turn the New York State Fairgrounds into “Pangea National Park” next month. The experience features a nearly 60-minute driving tour with more than 40 full-size, moving and scientifically accurate animatronic dinosaurs — including “Jurassic World” favorites like the T. Rex — with smooth, quiet and realistic movements.

Attendees can also listen to an in-car audio guide for an entertaining storyline as they drive through the park, featuring educational information about the prehistoric creatures. The journey may also include earthquakes, dinosaur battles and in-car interactive elements, like helping save a baby dinosaur’s life.