Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
NND.jpg

Welcome to National Nurses Day!

National Nurses Day honors and celebrates nurses. The holiday is part of National Nurses Week. It opens the week, and the week concludes on May 12 with Florence Nightingale's birthday. National Student Nurses Day and National School Nurse Day are also a part of the week.

In 1953, Dorothy Sutherland of the newly-founded U.S. Department of Health, Education, and Welfare sent a proposal to President Eisenhower urging him to proclaim a "Nurse Day" in October 1954. He didn't, but a National Nurses Week was held that year from October 11–16, marking the 100th anniversary of Florence Nightingale's mission to Crimea. It wasn't until twenty years later that another National Nurses Week was held after President Nixon proclaimed it in 1974.

In 1978, Brendon Byrne, Governor of New Jersey, declared May 6 as Nurses Day, at the urging of Edward Scanlan, who came up with the idea for the day and hoped it would become nationalized. Scanclan chose May 6 as its date because it preceded National Hospital Week and Florence Nightingale's birthday. As Scanlan had hoped, his idea spread around the country.

In 1981, Carol Lewis, a registered nurse at Lovelace Medical Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico, initiated a resolution to have May 6 declared as National Recognition Day for Nurses. It was sponsored by Congressman Manuel Lujan (R-NM) and promoted by the American Nurses Association (ANA). The joint resolution was adopted by Congress and President Reagan proclaimed May 6, 1982, to be National Recognition Day for Nurses. The ANA recognized the day as National Nurses Day and it has continued to be observed since. The ANA also created National Nurses Week in 1990.

SU News

6T2CQEHT6FFMHEJUAWU3NKA7E4.jpg

Guarded by Rider Broncs forward Nehemiah Benson (35) Syracuse Orange center Frank Anselem (5) passes to Syracuse Orange forward Alan Griffin (0) in the second half of the Syracuse-Rider game at the Carrier Dome Dec. 5 2020, in Syracuse, New York. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Is Syracuse center Frank Anselem coming back next season? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

The NCAA’s transfer portal has been the dominant theme during college basketball’s offseason, and it continues to be the major topic of conversation in Mike’s Mailbox.

There are currently more than 1,500 names in the transfer portal, and just about as many portal-related questions in my inbox.

I’m wading through them week-to-week and they’re still piling up, so let’s try to answer a few more.

Q: Is it safe to say Frank Anselem is coming back?

Andy L.

Mike:
So far, we have not heard anything that would indicate Syracuse freshman Frank Anselem is looking to transfer. On the other hand, we have tried to get confirmation that he plans on returning for his sophomore year and we haven’t heard that, either.

May prove tough for Syracuse basketball to land 2021 4-star Arthur Kaluma (itlh; Adler)

Chatter is swirling that Syracuse basketball is potentially pursuing 2021 four-star power forward Arthur Kaluma, although I think that it could be a fairly large challenge for the Orange to win out in this recruiting battle.

The 6-foot-8 Kaluma, a senior at Dream City Christian School in Glendale, Ariz., previously had the ‘Cuse in his top eight before selecting UNLV over the Orange, Arizona State, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M and USC.

But the Rebels recently had a head-coaching change, and Kaluma has received a release from his commitment to UNLV. As such, his recruitment now appears open.

I’ve read a handful of articles that point to Big Ten Conference member Illinois getting involved with Kaluma, who is a top-50 player across the country in the 2021 cycle.

Additionally, multiple stories from 247Sports report that Kaluma has heard from teams such as Syracuse basketball and Arizona out of the Pac-12 Conference.

I’ve been high on Kaluma for a while now, and I had hoped that the ‘Cuse would possibly make another run at securing his services. But whether the Orange has a legitimate chance at prevailing remains to be seen.

Syracuse Basketball: Stellar guard Blue Cain seeing recruitment expand (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is likely going to see its competition for 2023 guard Blue Cain intensify in the near future.

The Orange offered the talented and under-rated Cain this past February. More recently, the sophomore at Knoxville Catholic High School in Knoxville, Tenn., landed a scholarship offer from his home-state team, Tennessee.

The Volunteers recently secured a commitment from former Orange target Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, a five-star power forward, and Tennessee has fared quite well on the recruiting trail of late.

Getting back to the 6-foot-4 Cain, his other offers at this juncture are from South Carolina, Howard and ETSU. That is going to change, though.

Jamie Shaw, a national recruiting analyst for , noted in a piece that other high-major squads showing interest in Cain include 2021 Final Four participant UCLA, Missouri and fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member Virginia Tech.

Cain said to Shaw, “I’m really looking out west, California. UCLA has been talking to me lately, I wouldn’t mind going out that way.” Since he’s a sophomore, Cain’s recruiting process could have a way to go, but if he’s eyeing the West Coast, that’s not a good sign for the ‘Cuse.

Syracuse Basketball: Jim Boeheim regularly contacts 4-star Ty Rodgers (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball target Ty Rodgers, a 2022 four-star prospect, is one of the top wings in this cycle. That’s why the bevy of Orange fanatics out there, myself included, are hopeful that the ‘Cuse will remain in contention for his services as his recruitment continues to move forward.

The Orange did recently pick up a verbal commitment from fellow 2022 four-star wing Kamari Lands, who is a junior at Prolific Prep in Napa Valley, Calif.

However, media reports have indicated that the 6-foot-8 Lands can suit up at small forward, shooting guard and point guard. To that end, the 6-foot-6 Rodgers recently told 247Sports national basketball director Eric Bossi in part, “I can play many positions and I’m happy to do whatever coaches want me to do.”

So while there is positional overlap between Rodgers and Lands, I’d be happy to see them both don a ‘Cuse uniform down the road. Rodgers is a junior at Grand Blanc Community High School in Grand Blanc, Mich.

30 Minutes In Orange Nation 5-5 (ESPN; radio; Steve & Paulie)

Steve and Paulie start the show explaining some new rules that may be implemented into college basketball soon. They tell you which of these rules you may have to get used to soon, which of them could impact the Orange and how, why some of these rules may make the games and broadcasts worse, and more.

Sales Pitch discussion -- Which ACC coach would you want your kid to choose? (ESPN; Staff)

ESPN unveiled its Sales Pitch (ESPN+) series this week, examining the men's college basketball programs in the ACC that have the most and fewest advantages in enticing recruits and transfers to campus. After seeing the results of our survey, ESPN.com's writing team of Myron Medcalf, Jeff Borzello, John Gasaway and Joe Lunardi debated some of the finer details within the ACC recruiting landscape, including which programs do more with less, who has a chance to gather some momentum on the recruiting trail, and which programs they'd want their own sons to choose.

Follow this link to read what anonymous coaches said about recruiting in the ACC.

Which ACC coach do you think is the most underrated for their ability to recruit, or to construct a team?

Medcalf: Leonard. Hamilton. Since 2016, five Florida State players have been first-round NBA picks. Only one of those players, Jonathan Isaac, was a five-star recruit on ESPN.com. Two of those players, Devin Vassell and Mfiondu Kabengele, were not even top-100 prospects. And Scottie Barnes is a projected lottery pick in this summer's NBA draft.

How High Can Carmelo Anthony Climb Up NBA's All-Time Scoring List? (SI; McAllister)

Carmelo Anthony recently moved up to 10th on the NBA's all-time scoring list. That leads to the natural question, how far can he move up before he eventually calls it a career?

Anthony is 36 years old. How many more years does he have left? That remains to be seen, but he is still a very effective offensive player. Anthony is currently 75 points behind ninth place (Moses Malone), 1,262 points behind eighth place (Shaquille O'Neal) and 4,085 points behind seventh place (Wilt Chamberlain).

Let's take a look at a few different scenarios.

RETIRES AT AGE 40

If Carmelo Anthony plays past his 40th birthday (2023-24 season) and then retires, he will play three more full season beyond this year. There are 82 games in a season, but let's take a conservative approach and say he averages 72 games played each year. Currently, Melo averages 13.7 points per game. Let's assume he keeps that up for the final six games of the regular season this year and that takes a slight dip to 12 points per game over the next three seasons. At 12 points per game in 72 games in each of three seasons, along with 13.7 points over the next six games this year, that is another 2,674 points. His total as of May 5, 2021 was 27,334. Add those two together and Melo would have a career total of 30,008 points. In that scenario, Melo would pass Moses Malone and Shaquille O'Neal to claim 8th place all time.

Other

KRUZ4CMR4JBRVAQUI36AED3BKA.jpeg

A 1976 Ford Mustang is pictured in this AP file photo.

New movie filming in Syracuse seeks specific types of cars (PS; $; Herbert)

Have you ever heard of a casting call for cars? Well, now you have.

A new movie filming in Syracuse is seeking vehicles to be used as props this month. ILMD Productions Inc. says it’s reaching out to the Central New York community for help with their upcoming feature film, currently titled “I Love My Dad.”

Producers are specifically seeking:

• A 2018 or newer SUV for 3 various days of shooting, possibly more or less.
  • A classic 1976 Ford Mustang-type vintage car for 3 various days of shooting, possibly more or less.
  • A 1970s or 80s wooden panel station wagon, 240 Volvo wagon, or a Volkswagen Rabbit for 3 various shooting days, possibly more or less.
  • An early 2000s Toyota 4 Runner or Nissan Pathfinder as “hero car,” needed for 10 various shooting days, possibly more or less.
Producers are also looking for colorful vehicles: “No white or black cars please.”

If interested, send a photo of your vehicle to ILMDCarCasting@gmail.com.

“I Love My Dad” is described as a dark comedy that will begin production in mid-May. The cast, director and other details have not been announced.

Producers previously posted a casting call for a dog to appear in the movie; the canine role has now been filled.