Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Shrimp Day!

Epicures, chefs, suppliers, associations, restaurants, and others celebrate shrimp today, the most widely eaten crustacean in the United States. As part of the day, videos and recipes are shared, contests are organized, specials are offered, and shrimp are eaten.

There are many species of shrimp. Some large shrimp are known as prawns. Coldwater shrimp, known as pandalid shrimp, are small shrimp found in the ocean waters in the northeast and northwest regions of the United States and Canada. One of these is the Pandalus borealis, a pink-hued shrimp used in chowders, soups, and salads. Warm water shrimp are found in tropical and subtropical regions around the world. These include white, brown, and pink shrimp, as well as hopper, tiger, and banana shrimp. These shrimp vary in size, taste, texture, and cost.

Wild shrimp, classified as either warm water or cold water shrimp, are caught in coastal ocean waters. These shrimp are well regulated, and make up less than ten percent of the shrimp consumed in the United States. Wild shrimp caught on the coasts of the United States are known as domestic shrimp. Farmed shrimp are warm water shrimp that are grown in open and closed pond systems and given formulated feeds. Over ninety percent of the shrimp eaten in the United States are farmed shrimp raised in other parts of the world. Imported shrimp usually means farmed shrimp that come from either Asia or the Pacific and Gulf coasts of Central America and South America.

SU News

ONF6L7Z4MFCTBARWLLTEVRXJJY.jpg

Syracuse recruit Benny Williams warms up before the Iverson Classic game in Bartlett, Tennessee, on Saturday, May 8, 2021. (Donna Ditota)

Benny Williams and the Iverson Classic: How it went for Syracuse basketball recruit in Memphis (PS; $; Ditota)

Benny Williams played Saturday night in the Allen Iverson Roundball Classic, a showcase for high school basketball stars in the Class of 2021.

Because of the coronavirus, 2021 basketball class members missed the traditional summer shoe circuit last summer and were largely shrouded from broad public view even as their high school teams trudged ahead and played games last winter.

Williams, who signed a NLI to play for Syracuse, spent the season in Bradenton, Florida, playing for IMG Academy. A late physical bloomer, Williams grew about 11 inches over two years and caused enough concern about that rapid growth spurt that an orthopedist suggested he stop playing for a summer to ease the soreness in his knees. He has since risen to five-star status and was included in a celestial group of soon-to-be college freshmen as one of 29 high school boys selected for the Iverson Classic. Raven Johnson, the No. 2 girls recruit in her class, also played in the event.

“It was a really good experience,” the 6-foot-9 Williams said before Saturday’s game tipped at a packed house at Bartlett High School. “I never thought I’d be able to make it to this. All the hard work I put in is really starting to pay off.”

Syracuse Basketball: 2022 class could rank among best of past 15 years (itlhl Adler)

Syracuse basketball coaches, players, recruits and fans alike have spoken to the possibility that the Orange could end up with a top-flight 2022 class.

Already, the ‘Cuse has picked up a verbal commitment in this cycle from elite wing Kamari Lands, a top-25 player, and Syracuse basketball coaches are pursuing a range of other stellar 2022 prospects.

Of course, in the recruiting world, nothing is ever a guarantee until a high-school player makes his collegiate destination known. Even then, things can fall apart, so the real benchmark is when a prospect sets foot on campus to start competing.

A contingent of Orange fans has lamented about the state of recruiting for the team in recent seasons, and I agree with some of this frustration.

But, in playing the role of an optimist, I believe that the 2022 class for Syracuse basketball could prove a game-changer. Lands, a four-star prospect out of Prolific Prep in Napa Valley, Calif., got things going.

Syracuse basketball in 2022 may be in store for an exquisite cycle.

As we’ve discussed, maybe the ‘Cuse could end up with four-star J.J. Starling or three-star Quadir Copeland at point guard in this cycle. Four-star combo guard Chance Westry seems like more of a long shot, but you never know.

At shooting guard, I have a solid feeling about four-star Justin Taylor. Lands provides a tremendous small forward, and he also can suit up at shooting guard and point guard, from what I gather.

Syracuse basketball is also in the mix for four-star power forward Kyle Filipowski and four-star center Donovan Clingan, who has the Orange in his top eight.

Syracuse Basketball: Orange lands no love in ESPN’s ACC recruiting story (itlh; Adler)

A panel of ESPN writers recently debated a handful of topics related to recruiting in the Atlantic Coast Conference, and Syracuse basketball was nowhere to be found in the conversation.

To be fair, some of the themes that the ESPN writers tackled were completely irrelevant to the Orange, such as the challenges that new North Carolina head coach Hubert Davis will face in building up that program following the retirement of three-time national champion Roy Williams.

But the ‘Cuse still was left out of this piece, and whether or not that really means something is subject to interpretation by all the Syracuse basketball fans out there.

There is a contingent of Orange fanatics that continues to lament the state of the team’s recruiting efforts. For me, I do think that the ‘Cuse has seen a small dip in recruiting in recent seasons, but there are factors that have played a role in this and cannot get ignored.

The NCAA penalties stung for a while. Uncertainty over how long head coach Jim Boeheim would stay on could have created some challenges. Mike Hopkins, an ace recruiter, leaving to lead Washington didn’t help things.

More recently, the new one-time transfer policy is facilitating a free-agency explosion in college basketball, and that will affect every squad out there, including the Orange.

However, I am pretty emphatic in believing that the ‘Cuse has developed some positive momentum in the recruiting arena that provides me with optimism for the future.

5c4141ed2f505.image.jpg

Five-star center Efton Reid chooses LSU over Pitt (cardiachill.com; Wilson)

Pitt was said to be one of a few programs in the running to land coveted five-star prospect Efton Reid, a top-30 recruit in the 2021 class. But on Sunday afternoon, all the talk amounted to nothing, as Reid committed to LSU.

Before all else I wanna thank God for everything that he has done for me and all that he is going to do for me.I want to thank my Circle for giving me the support and guidance during this journey. All I got to say is I’m Ready to get to Work ‼️‼️‼️#bootup pic.twitter.com/M5yzs0eTxf
— Efton (@efton15) May 9, 2021
The 6’11”, 240-pound center out of IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, holds five-star ratings from Rivals and ESPN, while 247Sports views him as a four-star recruit. However, all three recruiting websites rank him among the top 30 prospects in the nation, with 247Sports placing him at No. 28, Rivals placing him at No. 24 and ESPN placing him at No. 18.

Other programs said to be in the mix for Reid included Florida State, Ohio State and Virginia, and the Cavaliers had a strong case to land Reid, as he is a native of Richmond and the program won a national title in 2019. However, Tony Bennett and his staff will have to move on without the elite prospect just like Jeff Capel and the Panthers staff will this coming season.

Update on Triangle basketball rosters: who's staying, who's going and what we know :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; Brownlow)

With the college basketball transfer portal filling with nearly 1,300 names so far since the season ended, it's easy to get lost in the news cycle as to which players are staying or going. There's a deadline to enter one's name into the portal — July 1 — but players can still exit the portal and return to school, should they so choose. Add in the players that every year decide to go through the NBA Draft process and either stay in the draft or come back to school and it can be a bit hard to follow.

Well, it's been more than a month since the college basketball season ended, and we've seen a lot of movement both in and out of all three Triangle schools.

So for every team, let's take a look at who we know is gone and who is coming back (at least as of now).

NC STATE

Gone pro/graduated: F/C D.J. Funderburk (12.6 ppg, 5.6 rpg), G Devon Daniels (16.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.3 apg, 1.7 spg)

It's worth noting that Daniels really hasn't either made an official statement or even alluded to leaving, other than going through the Senior Day festivities for a game that sadly was not even played.

From Battle Creek, Michigan, Number 24, @doubleD_2106 ‼️ pic.twitter.com/ip3kfs1Ccx
— NC State Men's Bball (@PackMensBball) March 6, 2021

That doesn't mean he's definitely coming back to NC State, but I tend to lean that way right now. The only reason he's on this list is that he hasn't said anything official about what his plans actually are, and we have no idea how severe his knee injury was, for that matter. Daniels had a fantastic season and has just gotten better every year. If he can come back at full strength, it's difficult to understate the potential impact for NC State. He was having one of the better years in the ACC before his injury in January and ended the season as NC State's leading scorer.

ESPN tries to rank ACC basketball jobs by recruiting pitch (backingthepack.com; Muma)

Okay, fine, let’s talk about this. ESPN solicited the anonymous opinions of college coaches in the power conferences to rank the jobs in each league based solely on the gig’s inherent advantages/disadvantages in recruiting. And this is the tiered breakdown for the ACC:

Duke
UNC

Louisville
UVA
Syracuse

Notre Dame
FSU

NC State
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest

Pitt
BC
Miami
Clemson
Virginia Tech

What’s interesting to begin with is how this order is divorced from actual recruiting results. There’s an enormous difference between FSU’s recruiting success and Notre Dame’s, for example. Mike Brey is a good coach who scavenges good system fits but you do not see elite players going there on the regular, yet all these anonymous guys can talk about is how Notre Dame is a big brand and that gets Brey in the door etc., etc.

Other

AUOVLXEGUBAULPOKRO4CYQRVDI.jpg

Lili Taylor, left, and Stefania LaVie Owen appear in a scene from "Paper Spiders," a new movie filmed in Syracuse.

‘Paper Spiders,’ new Syracuse movie out today, scores 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes (PS; $; Herbert)

A new movie filmed in Syracuse is out in time for Mother’s Day with a top score on Rotten Tomatoes.

“Paper Spiders,” a mother-daughter drama starring Emmy-nominated actress Lili Taylor (“Say Anything,” “Mystic Pizza”) and Stefania LaVie Owen (”The Carrie Diaries”), was released in select theaters nationally Friday (May 7, 2021). The film is not showing on the big screen in Central New York, but it’s also available today for rent or purchase on Video on Demand (VOD) / Digital platforms like Amazon and Apple iTunes.

The bittersweet coming-of-age story follows a high school student’s (LaVie Owen) senior year being turned upside down when her mother (Taylor) begins to suffer from a mental illness. The cast also includes Peyton List (“Cobra Kai”), Max Casella (“The Sopranos”), Tom Papa (“The Marriage Ref”), Ian Nelson (“The Hunger Games”), and David Rasche (”Men in Black 3″).

Inon Shampanier directs on a script co-written with Natalie Shampanier, who were inspired by a personal experience. The film is produced by the late Ash Christian and Anne Clements under Cranium Entertainment.