Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
National-Receptionists-Day.png
Welcome to International Receptionists' Day!

A receptionist is often the first person a client or customer will meet when they arrive at a company, and they are the ones who have the task of making a positive first impression on whoever walks through the doors. Taking place on the second Wednesday in May, the purpose of International Receptionists' Day is to "foster a recognition of the importance of a receptionist's role," "promote pride and professionalism amongst receptionists for the important role they play within an organization," "give receptionists an opportunity to share stories and link up with other colleagues around the world," and "give employers an opportunity to shine a light on their receptionists and celebrate their achievements across their businesses."

The day started out as Receptionists' Day, being created by Jennifer Alexander of the National Receptionists Association, "to recognize the special role that receptionists play and to distinguish their skills from the admin or secretary." It was first observed in 1991, exclusively in the United States. In 2012, Rapport, a provider of reception services in the United Kingdom, brought the holiday to that country. It became International Receptionists' Day in 2016, after the United States, the United Kingdom, and Australia joined together to mark the day. Canada, Ireland, and other European countries have since joined in observation of the day.

SU News

Q & A With Tyus Battle (SI; McAllister)

Tyus Battle was one of the best players for Syracuse basketball over the last decade. The 6-6 guard averaged 16 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.3 steals per game during his career with the Orange. He helped lead Syracuse to two NCAA Tournament appearances, including a Sweet-16 run in the 2017-18 season. That year he averaged over 19 points per game.

AllSyracuse.com caught up with Battle recently to discuss his recruitment, his time at Syracuse, Jim Boeheim stories, the buzzer beater against Clemson and more.

Q: How did your recruitment go down from your perspective with the decommitment from Michigan and ultimately signing with Syracuse?

Battle: "I committed to Michigan late into my sophomore year, I'm pretty sure. I'm visited Michigan, fell in love with the school, fell in love with the coaching staff. Fell in love with coach Beilein who's not just an amazing coach but also an amazing person. During that time, I didn't take my official visit to Syracuse. Before my college process, I promised my mom I would take a visit to all my schools and look at all my options before I committed. I decommitted from Michigan, took my final visit to Syracuse and just fell in love with the place. I went to a Syracuse versus Duke game and the energy in the Dome was just amazing. I'm from the east coast, it was only a three hour drive from Syracuse. To me it made the most sense and I think I made the right choice at the end of the day."

Q: How did the Michigan staff react when you told them?

Battle: "It was really hard for me to decommit because I'm such a loyal person. For me to just decommit like that, it's tough. They wished me the best of luck and it was fine."

Q: What do you remember most about your time at Syracuse?

Battle: "Definitely our Sweet-16 run. That was great. It was definitely an up and down year, but the way we finished out the year and we were able to make a run in the tournament. Especially being my first NCAA Tournament, that was an amazing experience. We played some really good teams, beat some really good teams. With that team, we just fought every game. I was just proud of that team, proud of that year. It was a lot of fun."

https://images./image/upload/f_auto,q_auto,t_large/ra2mxjjwb6f0fcorwh5r

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star Justin Taylor earns a ton of praise from analyst (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is expected to welcome 2022 high-priority target Justin Taylor to the Hill for an official visit next month, according to several recent reports.

In the meantime, the 6-foot-6 wing is showcasing his skills on the AAU circuit. Taylor, a junior who attends the St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Va., competes on the AAU circuit for the Washington, D.C.-based Team Takeover.

This past weekend, Team Takeover suited up at the KC Classic in Kansas City, Mo. You can see how Taylor and his teammates fared at this event by clicking here.

Travis Branham, a national recruiting analyst for 247Sports, recently penned a column with colleague Eric Bossi in which they detailed some prospects who played well at the KC Classic.

Branham first said of Taylor that he “is a very skilled, consistent and solid wing prospect that will provide a reliable piece for whatever future program lands him.”

Syracuse basketball 2022 target Justin Taylor is one of the best wings in his class.

Taylor, a top-100 player in the 2022 cycle, has a bunch of offers from high-majors. He hasn’t come out with any sort of list of finalists yet, although my gut tells me that the Orange will remain in the running for the foreseeable future.

Recruiting guru Jake Weingarten, the founder of Stockrisers.com, recently tweeted that Taylor is eyeing visits to Virginia Tech on June 3, North Carolina on June 5 and 6, and then to the Orange on June 9 and 10. Other visits could come soon, too.

Ranking college basketball's uncommitted transfers: Arizona State star Remy Martin enters portal and NBA Draft (cbssports.com; Cobb)

After scoring 1,754 points in four seasons at Arizona State and earning first-team All-Pac-12 honors the past two seasons, guard Remy Martin has entered the transfer portal. The 6-foot floor general previously announced he is declaring for the NBA Draft as well.

Should Martin withdraw from draft consideration, he would be one of the most-coveted transfers on the market in college basketball this offseason after averaging 19.1 points per game in each of the past two seasons. Martin has also averaged 3.9 assists per game during his career and improved his 3-point shooting percentage to 34.6% as a senior this past season.

"I want to say thank you to Coach Hurley and the staff for allowing me to be myself, allowing me to play my game," Martin said in a farewell message to the ASU program. "I also want to thank my parents, my family. You guys have been supporting me throughout the years, and you guys will always be right there for me, and I thank you guys for that."

Martin described himself as a "Sun Devil for life" in the video. The former top-100 prospect from the class of 2017 came off the bench as a freshman and earned Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year honors before evolving into a starter as a sophomore and earning second-team All-Pac-12 honors. During the past two seasons, he emerged as one of the top playmakers in the Pac-12.

5. Quincy Guerrier

Old school: Syracuse

Guerrier is a former four-star prospect who took major strides as a sophomore at Syracuse. The 6-7 forward averaged 13.7 points and 8.4 rebounds while earning third-team All-ACC honors. His outside shot is still developing, but Guerrier's size and versatility make him a high-profile addition to the transfer market.

Tops.jpg

MBB: AP 500+ Since 1949 (RX; HM)

MBB: AP 500+ Since 1949

Fox Sports tweeted out a list of college men's basketball teams with 500 or more AP poll appearances since 1949, and four of the nine teams on their list are now in the ACC:
Which team are you surprised is NOT here? pic.twitter.com/z72hb0O42j
— FOX College Hoops (@CBBonFOX) May 11, 2021
Congratulations to UNC, Duke, Louisville, and Syracuse for providing such a consistently good basketball product (until 2020, at least). Will that continue, or is this the end of an era?

Former Youngstown State basketball standout heading to the ACC (wkbn.com; Frketic)

Former Youngstown State standout Naz Bohannon has announced he will be joining the Clemson Tigers.

Bohannon made the announcement on his Facebook and Instagram pages.

Bohannon entered into the transfer portal last month after earning second-team All-Horizon League honors. He averaged 16.7 points and 8.2 rebounds per game for the Penguins last season.

He started all four years for YSU, racking up over 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds for his career.

Clemson appeared in the NCAA Tournament this March after going 16-8 overall and 10-6, plus a fifth-place finish in the ACC. The Tigers fell in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament to Rutgers.

Other

polar.jpg

The building of Polar Park has spawned $200 million in private investment around the stadium — commercial and residential. Some, like the new marketplace, are already up and running. Some have yet to break ground.

Syracuse Mets drop 6th straight as Worcester debuts new stadium (PS; $)

The Syracuse Mets got off to a fast start but couldn’t hold on in an 8-5 loss to the Worcester Red Sox on Tuesday afternoon in the first-ever game at Polar Park in Worcester, Massachusetts.

The Red Sox scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to take their first lead of the game en route to the win.

Syracuse (1-6) struck first in the top of the first inning. Johneshwy Fargas led off with a hit to left-center field, but he was thrown out at third base trying to stretch a double into a triple for the first out of the inning. Jake Hager followed with a single, extending his hitting streak to seven games.

After Wilfredo Tovar lined out, Brandon Drury singled to put runners at first and third base. Deivy Grullon followed with a single that scored Hager for a 1-0 lead. Khalil Lee then singled to score Drury and give the Mets a 2-0 advantage.

Worcester (3-4) got on the board in the bottom of the second inning. With two outs, Marcus Wilson homered to right field, cutting the Syracuse edge to one, 2-1.

The Mets extended their lead in the top of the fifth. With one out, Martin Cervenka homered to left field, making it a 3-1 ballgame.

The Red Sox responded in the bottom of the fifth. With two outs, Josh Ockimey walked. Jarren Duran followed with a two-run homer that tied the game, 3-3.

Last edited: