Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - For Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday For Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Tau-Day.jpg
Welcome to Tau Day!

In 2001, Bob Palais published π Is Wrong, where he said pi (π) should not be used for the circle constant—the geometry of a circle expressed in a single number. Instead, he called for tau (τ), which is equal to 2π, or roughly 6.28318, to be used instead. Whereas π compares a circle's circumference to its diameter, τ is defined as the ratio of a circle's circumference to its radius. This means the measurement of the circumference of any circle is about 6.28318 times its radius. 2π is used quite often in mathematics, and proponents of tau say it would be much easier to simply replace that symbol with τ. In general, mathematicians write equations about circles using its radius as well, not its diameter.

On June 28, 2010, Michael Hartl published the Tau Manifesto, which stood behind Palais and expanded on his ideas. Like Palais, he called for tau to replace pi, saying pi is a "confusing and unnatural choice for the circle constant." He believed tau is a better way to describe the relationship between the circumference and the radius of a circle. With the release of his manifesto, he also created Tau Day. Just as 3/14 is Pi Day, 6/28 became Tau Day. It is an anti-Pi Day of sorts, and Hartl even called for Pi Day to be known as Half Tau Day. A growing number of mathematicians and physicists agree tau should replace pi, although this is not yet widely accepted.

SU News

PAMKEWDL4NH45DC4I36UWIWNYI.jpg

Justin Taylor, a 6-foot-6 guard out of Charlottesville, Va., is a consensus Top 60 recruit in the Class of 2022. He also plays on the AAU circuit with Team Takeover.Josh Verlin/City of Basketball Love

Justin Taylor talks commitment to SU: ‘The love was there. I was their guy’ (PS; $; Curtis)

Jim Boeheim and Gerry McNamara brought Justin Taylor and his mother into the film room on the second day of his official visit to Syracuse earlier this month and showed them a slideshow.

The video included clips from Taylor’s sophomore season at St. Anne’s Belfield (Virginia) and some offensive plays from his latest stint with his AAU basketball squad, Team Takeover, along with a few highlights of some notable Orange players such as Buddy Boeheim, Elijah Hughes and Malachi Richardson.

It served as a comparison for how Taylor, a highly pursued wing in the Class of 2022, could fit in with the SU men’s basketball program, how his game was similar to that of the aforementioned Orange players.

And it was the exact moment Taylor knew he was going to play college basketball at Syracuse University.

“That spoke volumes because I could see it visually,” said Taylor, who announced his verbal commitment to Syracuse on Saturday.

A letter from the future, where Syracuse is a 2025-26 national title contender (theathletic.com; $; Gutierrez)

Summer 2025

Syracuse continues to recruit several top 50 players in the class of 2026, but the focus lies on the season ahead. This is the year fans have been waiting for. The buzz on campus is noticeable. Three top 25 recruits will begin their college careers. Recruiting hasn’t been this steady at Syracuse since the early 2010s. The upperclassmen are fueled by a Final Four loss in March. Boeheim is entering his 50th season at the helm. He turns 81 in November, but he’s still going strong, diagramming late-game sets and pleading with officials. After his son, Buddy, played a couple of seasons professionally, he joined his father’s staff as an assistant coach. This will be his first season on his dad’s bench. It comes three years after he last played for the Orange, when he exited with back-to-back Sweet 16 runs that cemented his place as one of SU’s better scorers.

The Carrier Dome fills up each night. SU has led the country in average attendance for five consecutive years. About 30,000 fans file into games throughout ACC play, braving the cold, the snow, the ice and the shuttles from South Campus to pack the place. This winter could be a record attendance mark, given how much talent will be on the floor at once. Carmelo Anthony’s son, Kiyan, was a consensus top 30 recruit nationally, and he is projected to star at the program his father elevated in 2003. His game closely resembles that of Melo, but he’s focused on creating his own path to stardom.

Syracuse Basketball: Orange recruiting is totally back, with a vengeance (itlh; Adler)

Yes, Syracuse basketball saw a dip in recruiting over the past few seasons, since the team moved from the Big East Conference to the Atlantic Coast Conference, while dealing with recruiting limitations brought on by NCAA sanctions.

Those days seem to be gone, my friends. At least I hope that they are.

My gut tells me that the Orange’s recruiting efforts are headed toward being absolutely relevant on a national scale, season after season, with top-10 to top-20 classes the norm, rather than the exception. Of course, we’ll have to see what occurs after head coach Jim Boeheim eventually retires.

On Saturday, 2022 four-star wing Justin Taylor announced on social media that he would attend the ‘Cuse. He selected Syracuse basketball over North Carolina, Indiana, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Taylor, a junior at the St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Va., is an elite shooting guard and deemed a top-60 prospect within his class, according to most recruiting services.

More importantly, the Orange secured him despite his hometown team, Virginia, being in the mix, as well as several other ACC adversaries. This is a big deal for the ‘Cuse, in my humble opinion.

Syracuse basketball recruiting is faring quite well these days.

Additionally, this past April, the Orange picked up a verbal commitment from another 2022 four-star wing, Kamari Lands out of Prolific Prep in Napa Valley, Calif. Lands is on the cusp of reaching five-star status, and he’s a top-25 prospect in this cycle, per ESPN.

So, at this juncture, Syracuse basketball has a 2022 class that includes a top-25 player and a top-60 player. Frankly, it wouldn’t surprise me if Taylor enters the top 40 when all is said and done.

JMAQAGOGRNB3LHVYXKLVO7SQ7M.JPG

Syracuse basketball in really great shape with elite 4-star point guard (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is pursuing three point guards in the 2022 cycle, and the Orange seems to have a solid chance at landing any one of them.

For my money, though, I think the most realistic scenario is that the ‘Cuse picks up a commitment at some point from the under-rated and talented Quadir Copeland.

The 6-foot-6 Copeland has spoken in quite a positive manner about the Syracuse basketball program on numerous occasions, and his recent official visit to the Hill went extremely well, according to an interview he gave with Mike McAllister, the publisher of SyracuseOnSI.

I saw a bunch of pictures of Copeland on social media that captured his trip to Central New York. He seemed happy and right at home on the ‘Cuse campus.

‘22 #Rivals150 No. 85 Quadir Copeland photo shoot on his Official Visit to Syracuse #AbsoluteBasketball
Player Profile Quadir Copeland , 2022 Point guard - pic.twitter.com/aXbMZEGWqt
— Jamie Shaw (@JamieShaw5) June 24, 2021

Now, of course, this in no way signifies that he will select Syracuse basketball. But I do think that the Orange is in a fantastic spot with the stellar point guard.

Syracuse basketball could be the leader at this juncture for Quadir Copeland.

Besides his official visit to the ‘Cuse, Copeland has taken an unofficial visit to Maryland. The Terrapins, out of the rugged Big Ten Conference, have gotten some buzz for Copeland, based on comments I’ve read from analysts and other recruiting insiders.

For the time being, it might be that Maryland is the Orange’s biggest competition for Copeland. Then again, since it could prove a while before he announces a commitment, a lot of things can shift during his recruiting process.

Copeland recently obtained scholarship offers from Rick Pitino-led Iona and Oklahoma State. Other prior offers have arrived for him from teams such as Connecticut, Oregon, Miami, Penn State, La Salle, Saint Joseph’s and Siena.

Syracuse Basketball: Slew of visits culminates with 2022 four-star wing (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball has hosted a string of official visits with stellar 2022 prospects in the month of June. That calendar will culminate, at least for the month of June, with a visit to the Hill by 2022 four-star target Chris Bunch.

The 6-foot-7 wing, a junior at De La Salle High School in Concord, Calif., is slated to make a trip to Central New York on June 28-30, according to recent media reports.

He is a top-100 prospect in his class, according to numerous recruiting services. And multiple national analysts have said of late that Bunch is poised for a massive rankings jump in the future.

He boasts a range of high-major scholarship offers, more than two-dozen in fact. That being said, 247Sports national basketball director Eric Bossi recently wrote a piece in which he detailed that the Orange, Florida State, Oregon, Seton Hall and USC were recruiting Bunch the hardest, although that of course could change as his recruitment carries onward.

Additional offers for Bunch have come in from teams such as Arkansas, Ole Miss, San Diego State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Maryland, Rutgers, Creighton, Iowa State, Rhode Island, South Carolina and Massachusetts, per his Twitter page and bios on recruiting Web sites.

Syracuse basketball is welcoming four-star target Chris Bunch to town.

Toward the beginning of June, four-star power forward Kyle Filipowski and four-star wing Justin Taylor took official visits to the ‘Cuse. Others to travel to the Hill include four-star center Donovan Clingan and four-star point guard Chance Westry.

Most recently, four-star point guard Quadir Copeland and J.J. Starling, a fellow four-star point guard and CNY native, had their official visits to the Orange program.

By my count, that’s official visits from seven elite 2022 players, and hopefully those trips to Syracuse basketball will go a long way toward some of these guys committing to the ‘Cuse.

Other

ORMR6D2FDNDBVLUU3VG7NCSRQI.jpg

Several dozen people in the West Side community of Syracuse gathered for the opening of Brady Market.

A new market opens up where an old community hub once stood (PS; $; Garcia)

Syracuse political leaders and several dozen West Side residents gathered at the corner of Gifford and West streets Wednesday morning. Residents of the James Geddes Housing Development gathered across the street, looking on with curiosity about what all the fuss was about.

The gathering marked the return of a grocery to the neighborhood. In the building that once housed Nojaim Bros. supermarket was a new story – the Brady Market.

For years, Nojaim’s was the neighborhood grocery store for low-income residents. When it closed in 2017, James Geddes residents such as Obdulla Gil-Palleda, 65, were heartbroken.

A trip to the grocery store was no longer a less than a minute walk for seniors like Gil-Palleda. It was especially hard during the pandemic.

The nearest grocery store, Price Rite supermarket, was about a mile away at the corner of South and Bellevue avenues. That is until Brady Faith Center took over the property to open Brady Market, a grocery store with a “healing” center in the back area.

Community leaders came to the grand opening to talk about the progress of Brady Market since the closing of Nojaim’s.

Although the Nojaim family closed their doors to their grocery story, they played a role in the opening of the market. Paul Nojaim, Nojaim Brothers supermarket owner, worked with Kevin Frank, Brady Faith Center executive director, by offering advice on the operations. His brother, Dan, is part of Brady Market’s “leadership” team.

“I think it would have been easy for the Nojaims to just walk away,” Ben Walsh, Syracuse mayor, said. “They’ve done so much for the community. When the grocery store closed, if we never saw Paul Nojaim on the West Side again, we would still owe him a lifetime for everything he and his family have done for this community. But they didn’t walk away. They stayed and worked.”