Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
1625052005122-png.202949
Welcome to National Meteor Day!

Heads raise upwards and eyes scan the sky, keeping watch for meteors, for it is National Meteor Day, also commonly known as National Meteor Watch Day. Meteors, sometimes called shooting or falling stars, glow brightly as they fall through the Earth's atmosphere. They start out as meteoroids, a small piece of space dust made of rock or metal, which may be as small as a particle or as large as a rock, and which has broken off from an asteroid or planet. Meteoroids come up against air particles, which creates friction. They then heat up and burn to the point of vaporization. The glow they produce is the hot air that remains as they burn.

Meteors may appear to be a momentary bright white light, but they actually change colors as they burn, the colors indicating the gases the rocks are made up of. Silicate burns red, sodium is orange and yellow, copper is blue or green, potassium is purple, and iron is yellow. If a meteor makes it through the Earth's atmosphere intact or without completely burning up, and reaches the ground, it is known as a meteorite. Meteorites make craters many times their size.

SU News

5f7b4be965f25.image.jpg

Syracuse 'felt like home' for St. Anne's-Belfield's Justin Taylor (dailyprogress.com; Harvey)

Justin Taylor was just a young boy when Gerry McNamara became a Madison Square Garden legend as he led the Syracuse men’s basketball team to the 2006 Big East Tournament championship.

McNamara, who is now an assistant coach at his alma mater, came up big on the recruiting trail for Coach Jim Boeheim, playing a key role in Taylor’s decision to commit to the Orange over the weekend.

“Syracuse just felt like home to me and is the best place for me to have the opportunity to achieve my goals and aspirations in college and beyond,” Taylor said. “I have built incredible relationships with all the coaches there, especially Coach Boeheim and Coach McNamara, and I just feel like it was the best situation and opportunity for me to come in and play for that coaching staff and to work with them to develop my game.”

The St. Anne’s-Belfield rising senior is ranked the No. 54 high school prospect in the Class of 2022 by Rivals and is considered one of the top high school players in Virginia heading into next season.

The 6-foot-6 guard did not get to play during his junior year after STAB opted not to have a season because of the COVID-19 pandemic, but his numbers as a sophomore show his talent. Taylor averaged 15.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.8 assists per game as he led the Saints to a share of the Virginia Prep League title and a trip to the VISAA Division I state quarterfinals.

Not having a season last year took its toll on Taylor and his teammates, particularly during the recruiting process.

“It was honestly just a lot different than what I expected,” he said. “COVID ruined a lot of opportunities, not only for my class, but especially the class ahead of me. I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to take some visits to actually see the coaches, players and campuses in person during the start of this summer, which has helped me a ton with making this decision.”

The NCAA closed all in-person recruiting for high school athletes, forcing them to find other means by which to attract attention and interest from college coaches. Taylor was one of the lucky ones. College coaches had plenty of tape on him from high school and AAU events, which enabled more than a dozen college programs to extend offers. Among the schools that were high on his list were Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland, North Carolina and Indiana.

Syracuse Basketball: Justin Taylor helping to recruit other 4-star targets (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2021 five-star commit Benny Williams helped recruit 2022 four-star wing Justin Taylor to the Hill, and now Taylor is looking to do his part to bring other top-flight targets from the 2022 class to Central New York.

The 6-foot-6 Taylor, who is a junior at the St. Anne’s-Belfield School in Charlottesville, Va., gave a verbal commitment to the Orange this past Saturday. The top-60 prospect chose the ‘Cuse over North Carolina, Indiana, Virginia Tech and Virginia.

Taylor gives the Orange two elite members to date in its 2022 cycle, with the other being fellow four-star wing Kamari Lands, a junior at Prolific Prep in Napa Valley, Calif., who is a top-25 player in this class.

The ‘Cuse coaching staff continues to pursue multiple excellent prospects in the 2022 cycle, and Taylor has his sights set on two high-priority targets to join him on the Hill.

Syracuse basketball commit Justin Taylor is pitching the Orange to other 2022 stars.
In a recent interview with SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister, Taylor was asked about other 2022 prospects he is helping to recruit to the Orange.

Taylor mentioned two guys whom ‘Cuse fanatics will be excited to hear about, and they are four-star power forward Kyle Filipowski and four-star point guard Quadir Copeland.

The 6-foot-10 Filipowski took an official visit to Syracuse basketball toward the beginning of June, while the 6-foot-6 Copeland had an official visit to the Orange more recently. Both are big-time targets for Syracuse basketball in this cycle.

Taylor said in part to McAllister, “I’ve been talking to Quadir a lot, he loved his visit. Just got back from his and obviously Kyle took his right before mine. I think they both loved it. I think we could build a really, really special class with Kamari already committed and Benny most likely being there when we’re there. I think we can definitely build something special at Syracuse.”

Syracuse Basketball: Big-time, worrisome offers for high-priority 4-star big (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2022 high-priority target Kyle Filipowski already had a boatload of high-major offers with which the Orange has to contend. However, that offer list recently grew, and it grew in a big-time way.

The four-star Filipowski, one of the top big men in his cycle, said via Twitter that both Duke and Michigan have offered him. Ever since the ‘Cuse offered Filipowski a few months ago, I’ve felt that the Orange has at least a decent shot to land the 6-foot-10 power forward.

But the Blue Devils, a fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member, are a blue-blood school. I get that their legendary head coach is retiring after this season, but Duke is still Duke.

What’s more, the Wolverines are an elite squad in the rugged Big Ten Conference. They reached the Elite Eight of the 2021 Big Dance this past spring and have absolutely crushed it on the recruiting trail of late.

Humbled and honored to receive an offer from coach Krzyzewski, coach Scheyer and Duke University! @DukeMBB #ACC #TheBrotherhood #BlueDevils pic.twitter.com/wcwWbwREDE
— Kyle “Flip” Filipowski (@kylefilipowski) June 28, 2021

Does this mean that the ‘Cuse is out of the running for Filipowski? Of course not. The Orange has a ton of positive momentum with its recruiting efforts, having just picked up four-star wing Justin Taylor to go along with fellow four-star wing Kamari Lands in the team’s 2022 class.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: What's Next For Syracuse After Justin Taylor and SU Draws Indiana in B1G-ACC Challenge 6/29 on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

Syracuse locked down its second 2022 commit with the addition of Justin Taylor last weekend. What's next for the Orange on the recruiting trail? Taylor gave some insight into who he's helping recruit. Is SU losing steam on one of its key targets? Plus, how many more players will we see the Orange add for 2022? Also, Syracuse drew Indiana in the ACC-B1G Challenge. Where do the Hoosiers rank on most hated non-conference foes?

Tyler Aki and Tim Leonard discuss it all and more on the Monday edition of the Locked on Syracuse Podcast.

Season grades for Syracuse basketball players in the NBA - The Juice Online (the juice; Dagostino)

As the NBA Playoffs have reached the conference finals, there are officially no former Syracuse players left playing. Thus, it is time to look back and assess how they fared in the 2020-21 season.

Jerami Grant. As one of three finalists for the Kia NBA Most Improved Player, Grant did more to improve his status in the league than just about anyone this past season. Averaging 22.3 points per game, Grant added more than 10 points a game to his average from a season ago. His name has popped up in trade rumors and may stay there throughout the summer. But, that is far more a byproduct of him being able to accelerate Detroit’s rebuild by bringing back multiple assets than it is indicative of any desire for the Pistons to move him. GRADE: A.

Oshae Brissett
. If you thought Grant’s addition of 10 points per game was impressive, feast your eyes on the fact that Brissett scored 10 TIMES more than he did a season ago. Now, to put it in perspective, Brissett scored just 1.9 points per game in in 19 games during the 2019-20 season. But, still…to go from there to 10.9 points per game this season is quite the jump. He found stability (both financially and in his role for the Indiana Pacers). However, will whoever Indiana hires to be its next head coach and/or his or her staff value Brissett the same way Nate Bjorkgren did? GRADE: B+.

Carmelo Anthony
. After making the West semis last season and seeming to improve their team this season, the Portland Trail Blazers exited the playoffs in the first round. Anthony, in his 18th season, played in all but 3 of Portland’s 72 games in the regular season. With his minutes down to a career-low 24.5 per game, he tied his career low in scoring at 13.4 points per game (which he equaled with Houston in 2018-19 in over 29 minutes per game. Anthony’s role and productivity are both still solid, if unspectacular. Having accepted a lesser role has prolonged his career and improved the perception of him along the way. GRADE: B-.

Michael Carter-Williams
. I could just sum up Carter-Williams’ season with just one word: “eh.” But, I will put forth more context than that. At this point, he is what he is. A backup point guard, capable of starting in a pinch. He continues to battle injuries year after year, having not played more than 54 games in a season since his rookie year in 2013-14. Worse yet, Orlando is planning on embracing its young talent such as Cole Anthony, Mo Bamba, Jonathan Isaac, R.J. Hampton…and the list goes on. Further, they have two lottery picks this season, thanks to the Nikola Vucevic trade to Chicago. All of this is to say that the future for him in Orlando next season may not be so bright. GRADE: C-.

Other

QQFFGBM3TNGRVANTEY3ZSXKXGI.JPG

In this file photo, young Jake Alles landed this hefty, 4.95-pound smallmouth bass fishing while fishing on Lake Champlain with Lake Champlain Angler Fishing Charters. SYR

6 Upstate NY waterways make Bassmaster Magazine’s list of top 100 bass fishing spots in country (PS; $; Figura)

Upstate New York’s bass fishing scene just got another ringing national endorsement.

Bassmaster Magazine’s annual ranking of the 100 Best Bass Lakes in the country included six New York waterways – the St. Lawrence River, Lake Erie, Lake Champlain, Cayuga Lake, Oneida Lake and Chautauqua Lake.

In 2019, the magazine listed the St. Lawrence River as the nation’s top bass fishing spot. The magazine’s recent issue gives that honor to Lake Fork in Dallas, Texas. This year the St. Lawrence dropped to No 4 in the nationwide rankings and was New York’s only waterway that made the top 10. The magazine’s recent ranking refers to a 50-mile stretch of the river, plus the eastern part of Lake Ontario.

The current magazine says the following about the St. Lawrence: “The 2019 and 2020 Bassmaster Elite Series tournaments on this scenic, historic waterway produced winning weights of smallmouth that totaled more than 95 pounds. Canada’s Chris Johnston won the latter event with 97-8, and 53 limits of more than 20 pounds were weighed in. Eight of the Top 10 finalists bagged over 80 pounds of bass. The Big Bass of the tournament was a massive 7-13 smallmouth caught by Connecticut pro Paul Mueller. The trophy smallmouth overshadow the largemouth fishing, which can be fantastic. Mississippi pro Brock Mosley finished third in the 2020 Elite event with 84 pounds, 2 ounces of primarily largemouth bass. He boated 20 or more bass each day by casting a bladed jig mainly to docks and other man-made structures.”