Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
sc_blog_nat_fried_chicken_day.png
Welcome to National Fried Chicken Day!

Fried chicken, also known as Southern fried chicken, is eaten today. In order to make it, chicken is usually cut at the joints into smaller pieces, and the skin and bones are left on. It is coated in batter, which is made of ingredients such as eggs, milk, flour, and seasoning. It is then pan-fried, deep fried, or pressure fried in lard or oil. It ends up with a crisp or crunchy outside and a juicy inside.

The Scottish were the first Europeans to fry their chicken in fat, although they didn't use seasoning. Many ethnic groups in West Africa made seasoned fried chicken, that they battered and then cooked in palm oil. Today's fried chicken has its roots in the American South, where African Americans combined the frying techniques of the Scottish with the seasoning methods of West Africa.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star target who just visited has blue-blood interest (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2022 four-star prospect Chris Bunch recently took his official visit to the Hill, one of seven elite players in this class to have traveled to Central New York in the month of June.

The 6-foot-7 wing, a junior at De La Salle High School in Concord, Calif., is seeing his stock rise, according to national analysts. A top-100 prospect in the 2022 cycle as it currently stands, I believe that Bunch likely will climb into the top 75, or even the top 50, in the future.

While Bunch’s recruiting process has seemed to fly a bit under the radar as compared to other Orange 2022 targets, he is clearly in high demand. Competition for the ‘Cuse to land his services absolutely appears on the rise.

Besides an official visit to the Orange, Bunch also had an official visit on the docket to Rutgers, according to a tweet from ESPN college basketball insider Jeff Borzello.

Four-star forward Chris Bunch begins his official visit to Syracuse tomorrow and then will head to Rutgers later this week for an official visit. Says he’s recently been talking to Duke and UNLV, and is hearing from Florida St., USC, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., Rhode Island, Maryland
— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) June 28, 2021

The Scarlet Knights are a solid Big Ten Conference team that made the Big Dance this past spring and defeated Syracuse basketball in the most recent campaign.

Here’s how Syracuse basketball contends for No. 1 national class in 2022 (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball is on a recruiting roll with its 2022 class, and that momentum absolutely looks like it will continue onward.

As we all know by now, 2022 four-star wing Justin Taylor recently gave a verbal commitment to the Orange, and he joins fellow four-star wing Kamari Lands in that ‘Cuse class.

But I believe that the Orange is far from done in this cycle. Syracuse basketball coaches remain focused on a handful of additional top-flight targets in the 2022 class.

We’ll have to see how everything shakes out. For my money, though, I think that the Orange is in line to secure one of the country’s top 2022 cycles. In fact, I’ve been opining that for a while.

Let’s examine where Syracuse basketball turns after two recent 2022 commitments.

First and foremost, Lands is on the cusp of five-star status, and he is a top-25 player in the 2022 class. Taylor is a top-60 prospect, according to most recruiting services, and he could make his way into the top 30 to top 40, in my opinion.

At point guard in this cycle, I feel like the ‘Cuse has an excellent shot at picking up one of its targets at the position, and those prospects are four-stars Quadir Copeland, J.J. Starling or Chance Westry.

Copeland seems to be the most realistic option, and he’s making moves in the national recruiting rankings. I feel that he’s a top-50 prospect in the 2022 class.

Syracuse basketball, with Taylor and Lands, has a shooting guard and a small forward in this cycle. But the ‘Cuse isn’t necessarily done on the wing.

Four-star Chris Bunch, a talented and under-rated wing, recently took his official visit to the Orange. He’s a top-100 prospect, although national analysts have said he will rise in the 2022 player ratings. I think the ‘Cuse has a terrific chance to get Bunch.

5V3AVAC63NHBROWC3RHKPFONT4

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star target soars in rankings, blue-bloods enter mix (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2023 prospect Matas Buzelis is just starting to see his recruitment expand, and it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if all the blue-blood schools and other big-time college teams get into the fray for the talented four-star wing.

The Orange coaching staff got in relatively early on with the 6-foot-8 Buzelis, offering him a scholarship last November. National analysts say that he is potentially on his way to five-star status.

He is already ranked No. 46 overall in his class by 247Sports. When recently updated its national ratings for the 2023 cycle, Buzelis went from unranked to No. 42 across the country.

As I’ve said more than once recently, as he continues to shine for his prep school and on the AAU circuit, I could foresee Buzelis becoming a five-star player and pushing the top-20 to top-25 overall in his class. He’s that good.

Syracuse basketball has massive competition for 2023 four-star Matas Buzelis.

The recruiting services list Buzelis as a small forward. However, analysts say that he possesses the handle, passing precision and overall court vision to suit up at shooting guard, and perhaps even point guard.

Other

2RP2R6IQDNDAPIMZTMQKDRFRZU.jpg

The Canyon section of Destiny USA is seen in a file photo.Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com

New retailer opening at Destiny soon, local store coming too (PS; $; Tampone)

Ardene, a Canadian fashion retailer, is set to open this month at Destiny USA.

The mall said the store will open in July in a Facebook post.

Ardene stores carry apparel, footwear and accessories for women and girls. The brand also recently added a menswear collection, according to Destiny.

The chain opened its first U.S. store in 2015. At Destiny, the store will be located on the second level, near At Home.

The mall first announced Ardene at a tenant in March.

Also opening at Destiny is the second location for Mastermind, a local store with a current location at 613 N. Salina St. The store carries apparel, footwear and accessories for women and men.

Mastermind will be located on the mall’s second level, across from the Crocs store, according to a Facebook post.

Destiny has been struggling lately with declining occupancy rates. Anchor tenants Lord & Taylor, J.C. Penney and Best Buy all closed in recent months.

The mall has also lost numerous other smaller tenants, including Lenox, Justice, the Disney Store and others. Smash Syracuse has also closed.

Destiny has attracted some new tenants as well.

Retailer Anthropologie recently opened. Other openings include Armani, Uniform Outlet, Trollbeads and more.