Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
IPADay2019.jpg

Welcome to National IPA Day!

National IPA Day is celebrated to increase appreciation for one of the world's most popular types of craft beer: the India Pale Ale—commonly known as the IPA. Made with hops and pale malts, the IPA has a full-bodied taste that is bold and bitter. It has a higher alcohol content than the average beer, and many different hop strains are used to brew it. The day brings together large and small breweries, and beer lovers and connoisseurs, for IPA tastings, festivals, and other events.

Although some evidence suggests IPAs were being made in England before they started being sent to India, they gained their name because British sailors traveling to India as part of the East India Company began drinking them in the late eighteenth century. One reason sailors brought them on their journey was the hot climate of India made it difficult to brew beer there. The pale ales had a higher hop content, which helped them better keep their taste as they traveled from England to India, as hops are a natural preservative. They were not the only beer that could be shipped at the time, though, as porters were also shipped to India and California.

SU News

R6ELEPHFTVCNTL4A7WVVEEM5M4.JPG

Houston forward Fabian White Jr. (35) shoots on Syracuse center Jesse Edwards (14) in the first half of a Sweet 16 game in the NCAA men's college basketball tournament at Hinkle Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Saturday, March 27, 2021

How important will SU center Jesse Edwards be for Orange next season? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

Past, present and future.

This week’s Mike’s Mailbox has us looking ahead to next season and a key player for the Orange’s success, talking about this week’s Boeheim’s Army win in The Basketball Tournament and how that could impact the future and taking a look back at an unbelievable Syracuse game when two players combined for more than 100 points.

We’ve got a lot to cover, so let’s get to it.

Q: How important do you think Jesse Edwards is to this season given his progress at the end of the year?

Rollins C.

Mike:
You could make an argument that Jesse Edwards might be the most important player to Syracuse’s success next season.

Buddy Boeheim and Joe Girard will be in their third years as a starters and are established in their roles. At the forward spot, I think incoming freshman Benny Williams could be a huge factor. The Top 30 recruit would provide athleticism and, potentially, another player who could create shots for himself and others. But if Williams isn’t quite ready, Syracuse still has two veteran players in Villanova transfer Cole Swider and Cornell transfer Jimmy Boeheim. They could buy Williams some time to adjust to the game at the college level.

That leaves the center position.

Syracuse men’s basketball finalizes 2021-22 nonconference schedule (DO; Shetty)

After the announcement of a game against Villanova in the 2021 Jimmy V Classic, Syracuse’s nonconference schedule is now set.

Syracuse will play 13 nonconference opponents, with the schedule featuring matchups with old Big East rivals Villanova and Georgetown and also local rivals Colgate and Cornell.

The Orange tip off their season with a pair of exhibition games against Pace and Le Moyne College on Oct. 27 and Nov. 1, respectively.

Syracuse begins its regular season with a three-game homestand. The Orange host Lafayette on Nov. 9. After that, SU plays Drexel on Nov. 14 and Colgate — the most frequent opponent in Syracuse history — on Nov. 20. Due to the pandemic, the two teams did not play each other last season, snapping a streak of 26 straight years of playing each other. The Orange have won the last 54 games against Colgate.

Syracuse will head to the Bahamas during Thanksgiving week to participate in the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament. The tournament features longtime rivals UConn, defending national champions Baylor, as well as Arizona State, Auburn, Michigan State, Loyola-Chicago and VCU. Syracuse last participated in the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2015 when the Orange won the tournament. This year, SU’s first opponent is VCU on Nov. 24.

After the Battle 4 Atlantis, Syracuse returns home to host Indiana in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Nov. 30.

On The Block On Demand 8-4 (ESPN; radio; Axe)

Brent breaks down last night’s crazy win for Boeheim’s Army and discusses the latest developments with Syracuse women’s basketball promoting Vonn Read to acting head coach.

Could LA Provide A Fairytale Ending for Carmelo Anthony? – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Bainbridge)

Syracuse men’s basketball didn’t win a national championship last night, but it might have felt that way if you squinted. Boeheim’s Army, a perennial entrant of The Basketball Tournament since 2015, finally reached the championship game and delivered a win, thanks mostly in part to Keifer Sykes’ last-second buzzer-beating three. To the victors go the spoils: one million dollars, and bragging rights.

It’s an exciting achievement and might make you think about another former SU star who still plays in the NBA: Carmelo Anthony.

Anthony was obviously never going to play for Boeheim’s Army this year, but in an ideal world, he would in the future. Could you imagine how much his addition would raise the profile of the tournament? Not to mention the titles that would likely roll in. But that’s beside the point.

If you thought about Melo during the TBT run, it’s because he hasn’t won (or even appeared in) a championship of any kind since the 2003 National Title with SU. As good as you felt for Rice, Sykes and the rest in TBT’s championship, it made me think about the fact that Melo hasn’t been able to get to the Finals in the NBA and share a similar moment. That’s a shame, but Anthony’s story looks to have one final chapter.

Syracuse Basketball: Boeheim’s Army run exemplifies remarkable fan base (itlh; Adler)

Since I became editor of Inside The Loud House in May of 2020, I’ve interacted with countless numbers of passionate Syracuse basketball and Boeheim’s Army fans, as well as those with enthusiasm for Orange football and other sports.

Yes, I’ve read some comments from my fellow ‘Cuse fanatics that are negative in nature. And sometimes these negative comments hold merit. If you know me, you know that I always respect the opinions of my fellow Orange faithful.

That being said, what I witnessed on Tuesday night, as Boeheim’s Army captured its first The Basketball Tournament (“TBT”) crown, and $1 million to go along with it, truly signifies what a tremendous fan base the ‘Cuse has, particularly as it relates to Orange hoops.

The Syracuse basketball fan base went nuts for Boeheim’s Army.

When the No. 3 seed Boeheim’s Army snuck by No. 6 seed Team 23, 69-67, in the TBT championship game from Dayton, Ohio, Orange head coach Jim Boeheim and his wife, Juli, were in attendance.

Their sons, current Syracuse basketball shooting guard Buddy Boeheim and forward Jimmy Boeheim, were there. So, too, were the ‘Cuse assistant coaches.

On top of that, an abundance of Syracuse basketball fans made the trip to Dayton to cheer on Boeheim’s Army, and this is in the middle of a global coronavirus pandemic.

Syracuse Basketball: For Boeheim’s Army, $1M shot heard round the world (itlh; Adler)

More than 12 years ago, in the Big East Tournament against long-time nemesis Connecticut, Syracuse basketball star and current Boeheim’s Army player Eric Devendorf hit a buzz-beating shot against the Huskies that, it turned out, came after the final horn.

Devendorf and his Orange teammates would go on to defeat UConn in a ridiculous six overtimes that storied night in 2009 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Fast-forward to Tuesday evening in Dayton, Ohio, and former ‘Cuse player Devendorf and his colleagues with the No. 3 seed Boeheim’s Army faced off with No. 6 seed Team 23 in the championship contest of The Basketball Tournament (“TBT”), with a cool $1 million on the line.

As with many of its previous encounters in the 2021 TBT, Boeheim’s Army had to claw back from a deficit and go through some heroics during the heart-palpitating Elam Ending.

With the target score to win it all set at 69, both teams had multiple opportunities to get a bucket and prevail. It was a chaotic finish to a terrific game.

Other

3CYYX2TEFVFKZDVWUVLVNKF7OM.jpg

Dustin Young, 35, of Union Springs, stands outside the state's Covid-19 vaccination site at the Art and Home Center on the state fairgrounds. Young got his vaccine because his family farm, Spruce Haven, will have a stand in the Horticulture Building at this year's fair. Glenn Coin | gcoin@syracuse.com

They resisted the Covid vaccine for months, but now find their reasons to give it a shot (PS; $; Coin)

At a family baby shower last week, Tony Johnson realized he was the only adult who hadn’t gotten the Covid-19 vaccine.

Johnson’s older brother, a truck driver, told Johnson about fellow drivers who’d contracted the disease.

“He said he went to visit them in the hospital,” said Johnson, 60. “He didn’t want to come see me like that.”

On Tuesday, Johnson, who has six children, got his first dose of the Pfizer vaccine at the Onondaga County Civic Center health clinic.

Johnson was eligible for the shot in March but said he didn’t have enough information about the new vaccine before. He said he spent a lot of time reading articles and websites, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and talking to medical professionals.

“When I have to make a decision about something as serious as this,” he said, “I need the answers.”