Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Buttered-Corn-On-The-Cob.jpg

Welcome to Buttered Corn Day!

There are six different kinds of maize, or corn, and one of them is sweet corn, the kind that is most often celebrated on National Buttered Corn Day. Corn was first domesticated by Indigenous peoples in southern Mexico thousands of years ago, and more corn is now produced around the world than wheat or rice, although not all of it is used for human consumption. Sweet corn is picked when the kernels are still soft, and it is cooked in many different ways. Most commonly it is boiled or steamed on a stove, roasted or grilled on a grill or in an oven, or microwaved. Many times skewers are put on both ends of the cob after the husk is removed so it can can more easily be held, and butter, salt, and pepper are common seasonings used on the corn. It also can be cut off the cob and eaten with a fork. It can be a pretty healthy snack if it is not overloaded with butter and salt, as an ear of corn usually isn't much more than 100 calories, and is high in fiber. But, being that today is National Buttered Corn Day, you probably shouldn't worry too much about your health just this once.

SU News

What does Syracuse basketball do next after Kamari Lands’ decision to reopen his recruitment? (PS; $; Waters)

Syracuse’s highly-rated 2022 recruiting class, which had been ranked fifth nationally, took a hit on Saturday when Kamari Lands announced that he would re-open his recruitment.

Lands, a 6-foot-8 forward out of Indianapolis, was the highest-rated of Syracuse’s three commitments in the ‘22 class, coming in a No. 22 in ESPN.com’s rankings for the class.

Lands’ decision leaves Syracuse with commitments from Justin Taylor, a 6-foot-6 wing from Charlottesville, Virginia, and Quadir Copeland, a 6-6 combo guard from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.

Unlike Taylor and Copeland, who committed after visiting the SU campus in June, Lands had committed to Syracuse in early April without ever taking an official visit to the SU campus.

Syracuse Recruiting Roundup: Kamari Lands, Spencer Mahoney, Dom Foster - The Juice Online (the juice; Auger)

Plenty of the news from the increasingly fickle world of recruiting this week.

Kamari Lands

The big shock over the weekend was the decommitment of four-star wing Kamari Lands from the Orange. Ranked 35th in the class of 2022 by 247 Sports, Lands had committed to SU back in April. Lands stated his reasoning for leaving was the “opportunity to be recruited with NIL,” he said in an interview with Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters.

That leaves Syracuse with two commitments in its 2022 class: Justin Taylor and Quadir Copeland, who will be teaming up with each other at IMG Academy.

Spencer Mahoney

Syracuse took a look toward its 2023 class this week, offering Bronx native Spencer Mahoney. It was Mahoney’s first high-major offer, followed a day later by another high-major offer from Texas A&M.

Mahoney, a 6-foot-8 shooting guard, also holds offers from Siena, Harvard and Robert Morris. He broke down his Orange offer with Sports Illustrated’s Mike McAllister, saying he was “very excited” about it.

Syracuse Basketball: With Kamari Lands out, this 4-star wing is pivotal (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball high-priority target Chris Bunch, a 2022 four-star wing, could absolutely fill the void left by the de-commitment over this past weekend of fellow 2022 four-star wing Kamari Lands.

Is the 6-foot-7 Bunch as good of a prospect as the 6-foot-8 Lands? That remains to be seen. For now, anyway, Lands has higher national rankings within the 2022 cycle than Bunch does.

However, as I like to stress from time to time, these ratings are subjective and don’t always tell the entire story about a particular high-school player.

Plus, Bunch has made big jumps of late in some national rankings, and I could envision that continuing on this fall, given that he will suit up for a national prep-school powerhouse.
Syracuse basketball four-star target Chris Bunch is a key 2022 prospect.

There are a couple of important things to point out regarding Bunch, Lands and the Orange’s 2022 class. For one, both Bunch and Lands are wing players. I’ve seen each of these guys quoted in interviews as saying that they can suit up at small forward, shooting guard and point guard.

Furthermore, a wing player in this cycle is important for the ‘Cuse. The team, in its 2022 class, has a four-star point guard in Quadir Copeland and a four-star wing in Justin Taylor.

Syracuse Basketball: Despite 4-star de-commit, recruiting in strong place (itlh; Adler)

After 2022 four-star wing and top-25 player Kamari Lands revealed via social media on Saturday night that he was de-committing from Syracuse basketball, obviously the floodgates opened up for commentary by Orange fanatics on Facebook and Twitter.

One theme is that the ‘Cuse recruiting momentum of late has stalled. Okay. A second theme is that the Syracuse basketball program is somehow cursed when it comes to big-time prospects. I understand that mentality, too.

For me, the Orange’s recruiting efforts are still in a solid place. Yes, seeing Lands move on is a total bummer, but the ‘Cuse did recently pick up verbal commitments from 2022 four-star point guard Quadir Copeland and 2022 four-star wing Justin Taylor.

Syracuse basketball also has on its campus a promising freshman forward in 2021 five-star commit Benny Williams, who is a top-25 player in his own right. I’ll discuss in a bit other exciting things potentially in the pipeline for the Orange’s future recruiting cycles.

I would like to thank Coach Boeheim, Coach Mac and @Cuse_MBB for everything they have done. And with that being said I will be reopening my recruitment.
— Kamari Lands (@iso_marii) August 21, 2021

Syracuse Basketball: Blue-bloods and ACC powers in mix for 5-star target (itlh; Adler)

As Syracuse basketball 2023 five-star target G.G. Jackson eyes a possible move into the top-15 or even the top-10 overall within his class, the scholarship offer list for the 6-foot-8 power forward continues to add impressive new suitors.

According to Jackson’s own Twitter page as well as recruiting services, some of the more recent offers doled out to him include from teams such as blue-blood Kansas, Atlantic Coast Conference star Virginia and Florida State, which has also proven one of the best squads within the ACC in recent years.

But there’s plenty more to discuss here. The ACC’s Duke and North Carolina, both blue-blood groups in their own right, recently offered Jackson. So did Florida out of the Southeastern Conference.

Ever since mid-June, when college coaches could begin communicating directly with high-school prospects in the 2023 cycle, Jackson’s recruitment has blown up.
Syracuse basketball faces an uphill climb to secure five-star G.G. Jackson.

We’ve pointed out on numerous occasions that the Orange was the first college team to offer a scholarship to Jackson, with that offer coming back in August of 2020.

Syracuse Basketball: Analyzing Orange 2021 incoming recruiting class (bustingbrackets.com; Benjamin)

Syracuse Basketball has a pretty small 2021 recruiting class although each of the four players has a chance to make an immediate impact.

4. Jimmy Boeheim

The 6-8 forward decided to join his younger brother Buddy and play for his dad Jim. Boeheim didn’t play last season as Cornell and the rest of the Ivy League decided against playing but he did have his best collegiate season in 2019-20 for the Big Red. The Fayetteville native has improved as a shooter, scorer, and defensive rebounder throughout his college career. However, he is not a great 3-point shooter and his individual defense has a lot to be desired.

Boeheim averages 10.3 points, 3.6 rebounds, and 1.1 assists while shooting 43% from the field and 29.8% from the 3-point line for his career. He could start, at any of the frontcourt positions, but will definitely be part of SU’s regular rotation.

3. Symir Torrence

The 6-3 Marquette transfer heads home to Syracuse. Torrence is a strong, physical pass-first point guard with good length (6-8 wingspan) and plays with an edge. He can get by his defender off the dribble and has the ability to finish at the rim a number of ways or find the open shooter. Torrence is a good shooter with good form but he does need to improve his 3-point accuracy.

Torrence averaged 2.4 points, 1.4 rebounds, and 1.5 assists while shooting just 31.1% from the field and 13.9% from the 3-point line last year. He took 58% of his shots from beyond the 3-point line. He is expected to be the team’s third guard backing up both Joe Girard and Buddy Boeheim.

2. Cole Swider

The 6-9 forward is a physical player who transferred from Villanova. Swider is a physical two-way player who can score inside and out, he also has improved his 3-point shooting in each of the first three collegiate seasons. Swider is a good defender although he does need to improve his rebounding.

Swider averaged 5.7 points, 2.8 caroms, 1.1 assists, and 1.4 treys while shooting 42.6% from the field and 40.2% from beyond the arc last year with the Wildcats. He will start and see a lot of time at the 3 and 4.

Dajuan Coleman: Where is He Now? (SI; Ortique)

Nearing four years since suiting up in the Syracuse Orange basketball jersey, the 6-foot-9 powerful Center, Dajuan Coleman has made a name for himself both on and off of the court. Coleman, the youngest of six children to Tyris and Billy Coleman left a mark on his city that is forever Orange.

The now 28-year-old has had one of the most dynamic recruiting journeys, which started as early as seventh grade.

“It was a learning experience for me,” Coleman said. “I just knew I had to come out every, day and grind for everything I wanted to achieve for my future.”

The Syracuse native started playing varsity basketball as a Center for Public Service Leadership Academy (formerly known as George Fowler High School), while he was only in the eighth grade. As time progressed, Coleman quickly became a star athlete and by the time he entered his freshman year at Jamesville-Dewitt High School, he was ranked amongst the top, 10, basketball prospects in the country.

On Oct. 25, 2011 Coleman committed to Syracuse University, a hometown favorite, turning down offers from the Kentucky Wildcats and the Ohio State Buckeyes.

“At the time it just felt right,” Coleman said. “Syracuse was ranked the number one college my senior year, that was kind of like a no-brainer…Why wouldn’t I want to be a part of that?,” Coleman said.

Soon after, Coleman was officially a member of the Syracuse basketball program, coached by assistant coach Mike Hopkins and head coach Jim Boeheim. However, Coleman’s collegiate basketball career was full of highs and lows. Like many student athletes, Coleman persevered through sports-related injuries which ranged from a torn meniscus to a rolled ankle. Looking back, Coleman credits Boeheim for pushing him and his teammates to to perform at their highest potential.

Other

MBYTSUG5JNBRXPAYD6IIEU4TB4.jpg

This Golden Corral restaurant on Simon Drive in Syracuse opened in March 2019 but closed a year later because of the coronavirus pandemic.Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com

Troubled owner hopes to reopen Golden Corral restaurant in Syracuse (PS; Moriarty)

The troubled owner of a Golden Corral forced to close during the coronavirus pandemic just a year after it opened is hoping to restart the buffet-style, all-you-can-eat restaurant soon.

Niral Patel, a restaurant and hotel operator based in in Saratoga Springs, is preparing to reopen his Golden Corral restaurants in Syracuse, Queensbury, Colonie and Wilton, according to the Albany Business Review.

The four restaurants, plus three others that Patel operated, closed in March 2020 during the pandemic and remain shut.

The Syracuse restaurant opened on Simon Drive to long lines of customers in March 2019.

A Patel entity, SGC Via Tavdi LLC, bought the Syracuse restaurant from Golden Corral Corp. for $3.8 million on Aug. 6, according to a deed filed with the Onondaga County Clerk’s office.

Patel told the Albany Business Review that reopening the buffet-style restaurants was not possible before the state lifted pandemic-related restrictions in June.

“There just isn’t any way to execute the hallmarks of the brand — variety, abundance and choice — if you don’t leave it self-serve,” he said. “That’s what the customers want. That’s what the customers come for. Now, the plan is to reopen the concept as intended. That is the business model that I signed up for.”