Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
images

Welcome to Can Opener Day!

Does it seem odd that there is a day dedicated to the can opener? Well, did you know that there was about a half century between the invention of canned food and the invention of the can opener? Maybe after all those years of people struggling to open cans without one, they thought the can opener needed some recognition. There was some canning of goods in the Netherlands before 1800, but it was not until 1810 when the preservation of food in cans was patented. By the 1820's, food was being canned in Britain, France, and the United States. But, the first can opener was not patented until 1855 in Britain, and 1858 in the United States. Prior to this, phrases such as "Cut round the top near the outer edge with a chisel and hammer" were written on cans. The early can openers were primitive, however, and the first rotating wheel opener was not patented until 1870. This too was problematic, as the can had to be pierced before the opener could be used. In 1925, a second serrated wheel was added by the Star Can Opener Company, which greatly improved the functionality of the opener. This opener was improved in 1931 so that it had pliers-like handles and could hold a can on its own. This two wheeled opener that held the can is the main style that is still in use today. The first electric can openers were patented in the 1930's, but it wasn't until 1956 when a free standing electric opener by Udico became successful.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: All-American candidate Buddy Boeheim in top 25 (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball shooting guard Buddy Boeheim struggled a bit at times during a 2020-21 season in which he, unfortunately, contracted Covid-19.

However, the 6-foot-6 Boeheim finished that term on a super high note, playing at an exceptional level in the post-season as he helped lead the double-digit seeded Orange on a journey to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament.

His late-season performance resulted in some NBA Draft buzz for Boeheim, although he’s back for his senior year on the Hill, joined by brother Jimmy Boeheim and a cast of other talented players in what could prove a special 2021-22 campaign.

Yes, the bracketologists are prognosticating that the ‘Cuse, once again, will reside on the proverbial bubble as it pertains to the 2022 Big Dance, but I say let’s slow our collective roll. This team hasn’t even played a game yet.

Head coach Jim Boeheim has said that he thinks he has an exquisite offensive squad heading into the upcoming stanza, and I believe him. What remains to be seen is how the Orange fares in its trademark 2-3 zone.

Syracuse basketball guard Buddy Boeheim is primed to crush things as a senior.

The eldest Boeheim has said in interviews that Buddy Boeheim will wrap up his career in Central New York after the 2021-22 season, even though his son could take a fifth year of eligibility granted student-athletes by the NCAA amid the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Syracuse basketball safe in one bracket, but knocked out by Joe Lunardi (itlh; Adler)

The most recent bracketology projections from CBS Sports and ESPN are split as to whether Syracuse basketball will make the Big Dance next spring.

Of course, these predictions are super early, and they really are just summer fodder at this juncture. But any time that ESPN’s resident bracketologist, Joe Lunardi, has the Orange outside his field of 68, it makes for a good time.

The last occasion in which we penned a column about a Lunardi mock bracket, he had the ‘Cuse as a No. 11 seed in the West Region, with an intriguing match-up in the round of 64 against No. 6 seed and former Big East Conference adversary Connecticut.

More recently, though, Lunardi has the Orange out of his bracketology. Syracuse basketball, in fact, is listed as the first team under his first four out category, which is simply the best.

Lunardi has seven groups from the Atlantic Coast Conference in his mock field of 68, but the ‘Cuse has barely missed the cut. To his credit, Lunardi has some fun with this, saying in his write-up, “All is right with the world when Syracuse lands as team No. 69. It’s truly uncanny how often the numbers fall exactly that way.”

Let’s see where Syracuse basketball sits in another bracketology.

While the Orange is out of March Madness, according to Lunardi, CBS Sports’ Jerry Palm has the ‘Cuse somewhat comfortably within his latest projections.

Palm arranges the Orange as the No. 9 seed in the South Region, where Syracuse basketball would first square off versus No. 8 seed Oklahoma State in the round of 64.

On The Block On Demand 8-23 (espn; radio; Axe)

Brent is back from vacation to discuss why the how is more important than the how many for Syracuse football this season and discusses the impact of Kamari Lands reopening his recruitment on Syracuse basketball.

Kryptonite or Cliche? (substack.com; Sperber)

Welcome back to the Hoop Vision (semi) Weekly — coming to you on a Monday this week.

As students return to college campuses and non-conference schedules begin to slowly get announced, we begin our countdown to the college basketball season: 78 days until the 2021-22 regular season begins.

Today, we take a look at one of the most closely scrutinized schemes in college basketball — the Syracuse 2-3 zone — and the idea that it can be beat simply by getting the ball into the high post.

If you’re subscribed to this newsletter, we’re assuming that you have a working knowledge of the famous (or infamous, depending who you ask) Syracuse 2-3 zone. The defense has become an enduring calling card for Jim Boeheim’s program, now existing as a novelty in the modern college game.

When Syracuse has a widely televised game, broadcasters often claim that the opponent’s best course of action is to “get the ball to the high post” against the zone — as if success against the zone is just that simple.

In all fairness, a 1-3-1 offense — with a player flashing into the foul line area — is the most common attack against a 2-3 zone. So naturally, there is some truth to the importance of playing through the high post.

Still, it’s often portrayed as if the high post is Syracuse’s kryptonite.

Let’s not limit ourselves to in-game commentators here; beat writers and fans alike seem to believe Boeheim and his team have never even considered what might happen if the ball finds its way to the sacred high post area.

Spoiler: Jim Boeheim is ready for teams who aim to play through the high post.

First and foremost, Syracuse makes it difficult for an offense to comfortably get the ball into the high post. The Orange are — by design — consistently one of the tallest and longest teams in the country. Last season, Syracuse ranked 28th in kenpom’s average height, which was actually their smallest team since the 2008-09 season.

Some Early And Really Good ACC Previews (DBR; King)

We really appreciated the previews that ThreeManWeave.com did last season and were looking forward to this year’s versions.

They’re currently counting down their Top Forty and so far, from the ACC, they’ve done Virginia Tech, Virginia, Louisville, Florida State and most recently UNC.

We’ll just link to the other ones for now and look more at UNC since that’s the most interesting situation in the ACC this season.

This review is really positive for UNC but there is one spot that will irritate Tar Heel fans immensely (we’ll come back to it).

The basic conclusion?

Other

GCDGOZFOBZEDBPIAH4A6B3LOB4.jpg

Cassidee Burgess (left) and Nilda Alturet of Sarita's in the Pan-African Village, where I tried the Cuban quesadilla.Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com

Day 5 at the NYS Fair: Today’s handpicked menu and schedule (PS; Miller)

Today is the last of the five extra days Gov. Andrew Cuomo added onto this year’s State Fair. So does that mean everything will go back to normal on Wednesday, the day what would’ve been Opening Day? We’ll have to wait and see.

So far, fairgoers have had their pick of their favorite food and haven’t had to wait in long lines (or even short lines for that matter) to get their favorite grub. There is still a lot of great food out there for us to try. So let’s have at it.

Today’s Menu

I write about food for syracuse.com and The Post-Standard, I rely on readers to tell me what’s good in Central New York. That’s exactly what I’m counting on during the State Fair. I’ll be taking your suggestions and highlighting the best food and drinks here. If you eat or drink something that knocks your socks off, text me (315-382-1984) and I’ll give it a try. Heck, I might even join you for a meal and pick up the tab.

Lunch: A reader—Mark O’Brien of Liverpool—texted me early Sunday morning and insisted I try the Cuban quesadilla at Sarita’s in the Pan-African Village. I’ve heard nothing but raves about Sarita’s food truck, so I made that my first stop after “cooling off” at the Tully’s Draft House. (Stop rolling your eyes; it was like 112 degrees outside with no wind to stir up the humid air.)

Anyway, this grilled dish inspired by the traditional Cuban sandwich is $14, and it’s worth it. They clearly put a lot of time into this, probably hours before it hits the hot flattop. The pork spent a lot of time marinating in a garlicky-citrus mojo sauce. I got a hint of ground cumin, pepper, onion and oregano.

As the 10-inch tortilla warmed on the grill, they swiped it with a few tablespoons of yellow mustard before layering a slices of Swiss cheese across and dropping a few of their pickles on top. They folded a few thin slices of sweet ham on top of the cheese before loading it with about ¾ of an inch of the Cuban roasted pork. They fold it in half and let it cook inside the toasting flour shell. They offered a cup of sour cream and salsa. I tried both, but they were unnecessary. This portable meal was perfectly fine without any additional spreads.