Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Slinky Day!

One of the most recognizable toys for decades, the Slinky, walks its way down stairs with a little extra swagger today, because it's Slinky Day! In 1943, Richard James, a naval engineer, was in the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard working on a project that used springs to hold items up on moving ships, when he accidentally knocked down a spring and watched it "walk" and then coil itself up neatly on the floor. It was an idea-inspiring moment, and along with his wife, Betty, a plan was hatched to create a new toy. Betty combed through a dictionary and came up with the name "Slinky," and in 1945, with a 500 dollar loan, the couple created James Industries. At first, the Slinkys weren't selling, but when a demonstration table was set up in Philadelphia's Gimbels Department Store during the 1945 holiday shopping season, the James's sold 400 of them for a dollar each in 90 minutes—and people wanted more.

SU News

726CGOTUHVC7LNGQQ7RXHJK6JE.JPG

Demetris Nichols on new role as SU grad assistant: ‘I drive to work each day with a smile on my face’ (PS; $; Waters)

Demetris Nichols will begin taking classes toward his master’s degree at Syracuse University on Monday, but for the past few months, the former SU star has been teaching a master’s class in basketball for the current Orange players.

Nichols, who played at Syracuse from 2003 to 2007, returned to Syracuse in May after accepting a graduate assistant position.

While waiting for the start of the 2021 fall semester, Nichols was able to work out with Syracuse players over the summer at the Carmelo K. Anthony Center. But since grad assistants are prohibited from the on-court instruction associated with the head coach and the three assistants, Nichols has been spending most of his time “doing a lot of rebounding and passing.’'

And he has also been imparting wisdom, acting more like a visiting professor than an assistant coach.

“I have conversations,’' Nichols said. “That’s my piece of the puzzle. I talk to guys like Cole (Swider), Frank (Anselem) and Benny (Williams). I get to know them and then I give them something to think about.’'

Syracuse Recruiting Roundup: JJ Starling, DJ Wagner, Donnie Freeman - The Juice Online (the juice; Auger)

It was a big weekend for Syracuse basketball as it hosted several prospects at SU’s Elite Camp. It resulted in several offers handed out in the classes of 2023 and 2024, and a key official visit from a class of 2022 big man.

That big man is Northfield (Mass.) Mount Hermon’s Peter Carey according to Sports Illustrated’s Mike McAllister. He picked up an offer from the Orange in July, and also holds a high-major offer from Rutgers. Other mid-major schools in pursuit of Carey include Albany, Bryant, Iona and UMass. He’s unranked at the moment.

Syracuse also hosted a swath of rising sophomores and juniors, and offered several of them according to Syracuse.com’s Mike Waters. That included an offer to the No. 1 prospect of the class of 2023, DJ Wagner. The Camden (NJ) High point guard also holds offers from Temple and Villanova, and has drawn interest from Kentucky.

Wagner, son of former NBA guard Dajuan Wagner, was 2021’s NJ Gatorade Player of the Year after he averaged 22.0 points, 3.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.0 steals per game.

Staying in the class of 2023, Syracuse offered 6-foot-10 South Kent (Conn.) forward Papa Kante, 6-6 wing Reid Ducharme from Brewster (N.H.) Academy, and 6-8 wing Joseph Estrella from South Portland (Maine) High.

The Orange also offered Donnie Freeman, a class of 2024 forward from St. John’s (Washington, D.C.) High, according to his Twitter. The 6-9 forward also holds offers from Maryland and Old Dominion.

Syracuse basketball offers top-ranked player; can anyone catch Kentucky? (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball held its annual Elite Camp on Saturday, with a bevy of Orange targets across a variety of cycles in attendance.

Multiple media reports, along with players’ own tweets, speak to a handful of scholarship offers getting doled out by the ‘Cuse coaching staff either during the camp or after it had ended.

One of those offers went to the No. 1 rising junior across the country, 2023 five-star point guard D.J. Wagner, per several reports, including one from Mike McAllister, the publisher of SyracuseOnSI.

Now, does the Orange have a realistic shot at picking up this elite high-school prospect? Who knows at this juncture, although a slew of national analysts and recruiting insiders are already projecting the 6-foot-3 Wagner to a blue-blood team.

Regardless, it’s always exciting when Syracuse basketball gets into the mix for such a highly ranked player. Speaking of that, Wagner is the consensus No. 1 prospect across the country in the 2023 class, according to the primary recruiting services.

By extension, Wagner is also naturally the No. 1 point guard in his cycle, as well as the No. 1 player in New Jersey.

Last year, Wagner played exceptionally well as a sophomore for Camden High School in Camden, N.J. On the AAU circuit, he runs with the Millburn, N.J.-based New Jersey Scholars Elite Basketball Club.

IMG_4969.jpeg

Reid Ducharme 'Really Excited' About Syracuse Offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2023 shooting guard Reid Ducharme was offered by Syracuse basketball following Saturday's Elite Camp. Ducharme will play for Brewster Academy this season and ran with BABC on the AAU circuit.

"It came down from coach Boeheim and it was after we had finished talking," Ducharme said. "He went over to me and my dad and just said that he wanted to make sure I knew that I had an offer from him. I was really excited when I heard say that because Syracuse is definitely a school I could see myself playing for. For it to come from a legendary coach like Boeheim was really cool."

Overall, Ducharme said he had a very positive experience at Syracuse Elite Camp.

"It was great," Ducharme said. "The camp was really good and had a lot of good competition. I didn't get to go on a tour or anything, but got to talk to coach so that was great to be able to do that. Really enjoyed it."

Ducharme is not the only athletic member of his family. His sister, Carolina Ducharme, is an incoming freshman for UConn's women's basketball team. His other sister, Ashley Ducharme, plays basketball at Brown. His mom played collegiate basketball as well, and his dad played collegiate football.

In addition to Syracuse, the 6-4 shooting guard also holds offers from Providence, Stanford, Iowa, UMass, DePaul, UConn and Harvard. The upcoming season will be his first at Brewster, as he transferred in from Noble & Greenough School in Dedham, Mass.

Syracuse Offers 2023 Forward Joseph Estrella (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has extended another 2023 offer at Elite Camp. South Portland (ME) High forward Joseph Estrella tweeted out the news on Saturday along with a picture of himself with Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim. Estrella is listed at 6-10 per his twitter bio. Estrella plays for Middlesex Magic AAU program, one of the premier AAU programs in New England.

Estrella is the second class of 2023 player to receive an offer at Elite Camp, joining Papa Kante.

Other 2023 prospects on campus for Elite Camp include 6-4 point guard DJ Wagner (Camden High School in NJ; considered the #1 player in the 2023 class; Syracuse offer), 6-4 wing Cornelius Robinson (Camden High School), 5-10 guard Cian Medley (Camden High School), 6-10 forward Joseph Estrella (South Portland High in ME), 6-3 guard Simeon Wilcher (Roselle Catholic in NJ; Syracuse offer), 6-10 power forward Papa Kante (South Kent in CT), 6-3 guard Trey Autry (Jamesville-DeWitt in NY), 6-8 wing Trevor Roe (Fayetteville-Manlius in NY), 6-4 shooting guard Reid Ducharme (Brewster Academy in NH) and 5-11 point guard Darrien Grady (Shipley High School in PA).

Syracuse Offers 2023 Power Forward Papa Kante (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball has offered 2023 6-10, 225-pound power forward Papa Kante, as confirmed by South Kent head coach Raphael Chillious. The news was first reported by Pro Insight Director of Scouting Andrew Slater.

Kante participated in Syracuse Elite Camp on Saturday and performed well enough to earn the offer before the day ended. Kante is the second power forward offered by Syracuse in the 2023 cycle, joining 6-8 GG Jackson.

In addition to the Orange, Kante also holds offers from UMass, Pittsburgh, TCU, Georgia, East Carolina, Siena and Rutgers. Kante also has interest from Kansas, Marquette, UConn, West Virginia, Tennessee and UCF. He attends South Kent School in Connecticut but is originally from Senegal.

Syracuse Basketball: Amid sea of college sports change, let Big Dance be (itlh; Adler)

I have so many fond memories of my beloved Syracuse basketball program in March Madness. Too many to count or name. Yes, some heartache, too, but a lot of excitement and exhilaration.

These days in collegiate athletics, and particularly in football and hoops, a new era has begun, and what that new era will ultimately evolve into is anybody’s guess at this juncture.

But NCAA officials are pondering their future structure, name, image and likeness opportunities are in place, the transfer portal has exploded due to the NCAA’s new one-time exception policy, and conference shifting and reshaping are likely ahead of us.

I have written many times about how I think the NCAA is an incompetent organization that needs to go away. We even had a recent column noting comments from Orange head coach Jim Boeheim, in which he wondered whether there is a need for this governing body.

Yet if the NCAA eventually withers away, what does that mean for the NCAA Tournament, which for my money is the best sporting event (albeit over several weeks) that transpires in our country?

The long and short, at least for me, is that I sincerely hope no matter what the future holds for the NCAA and the existing collegiate athletics model, nothing happens to March Madness. It’s simply the best.

Syracuse basketball and its peers, I assume, want the Big Dance to remain intact.

Syracuse Legends Reunite on the Court for the CBT Celebrity Classic Basketball Game (globenewswire.com)

Tickets are now on sale for the second Coming Back Together (CBT) Celebrity Basketball Classic. The game, which features memorable names from Orange athletics, takes place Thursday, Sept. 9. Tickets can be purchased online at Cuse.com/ticketing or by calling 888 DOME TIX.

“This year’s game promises to be extremely exciting as it will take place in our newly renovated stadium,” said Rachel Vassel, associate vice president of Multicultural Advancement at Syracuse University. “All money raised will go specifically to the Orange Legends Scholarship, which is an Our Time Has Come fund created by Syracuse University athletes who want to make an impact for students from underserved communities.”

The game serves as a kickoff for the 13th annual CBT, the triennial on-campus celebration in honor of our Black and Latino/a alumni. Recently, some of the athletes returning to campus got together to talk about the game, its impact, and their love for getting back together. It’s obvious they enjoy one another’s company and their memories of playing in front of the fans.

“For me personally as a kid who grew up in Pioneer Homes just a short distance from the stadium, there are certain things that make you smile,” said Rob Drummond, a former NFL running back who attended Syracuse in the mid-1980s and will be taking part in the CBT Celebrity Classic. “My last game at the stadium the fans gave me a standing ovation. I had tears in my eyes. I won’t forget that moment nor the love I have for my teammates and the people here today. That’s what this is all about. It’s about family.”

Other

ICPLBE3G4NASZB7PLW4CVNVRIY.jpg

Mallory Kotash (left) and Chase Babcock of Syracuse enjoy some chocolate and strawberry milk in the Dairy Products Building at the State Fair. Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com

Day 10 at the NYS Fair: Today’s handpicked menu and schedule (PS; Miller)

Our new governor is also expected to pay us a visit today. Kathy Hochul was sworn in on Tuesday, replacing Andrew Cuomo who resigned after being accused of sexually harassing at least 11 women. She’ll be making her first appearance her as governor. Her schedule hasn’t been released yet, so we don’t know where she’ll have her first State Fair sausage sandwich as governor. But you can be sure we’ll be there to document it.

Today’s Menu

I write about food for syracuse.com and The Post-Standard, I rely on readers to tell me what’s good in Central New York. That’s exactly what I’m counting on during the State Fair. I’ll be taking your suggestions and highlighting the best food and drinks here. If you eat or drink something that knocks your socks off, text me (315-382-1984) and I’ll give it a try. Heck, I might even join you for a meal and pick up the tab. And that’s exactly what I did on Friday.

Tiki Turtle

The picklewich at the Tiki Turtle stand in the Colonnade. Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com

Entrée: The Picklewich from the Tiki Turtle stand in the Colonnade (You know, the area that used to house all the wine slushie stands just off Chevy Court.).

Jim Kerwin has been running this stand for 16 years. He has a vast menu, serving basics like a sausage sandwich, and he gets into the crazy stuff like the wildly popular deep-fried Reubens. He also offers frozen piña coladas and daiquiris. I highlighted the stand in a menu the other day because they sell 14-ounce pours of Flower Power IPA from the tap for $5.

“This year is all about the Picklewhich,” he said. “We can’t make them fast enough.”

This really is THE best sandwich for a hot and humid day. It’s basically a sub sandwich on a pickle instead of a soft roll. It’s a low-to-no-carb alternative to a hefty deli sandwich. (Face it, when you come to the State Fair, you’re not really thinking about maintaining a healthy diet. But I try to do what I can every so often. That’s why I ordered a Miller Lite with my picklewhich instead of a Utica Club.)

Today’s Menu

Tiki Turtle

The picklewich at the Tiki Turtle stand in the Colonnade. Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com

Entrée: The Picklewich from the Tiki Turtle stand in the Colonnade (You know, the area that used to house all the wine slushie stands just off Chevy Court.).

Jim Kerwin has been running this stand for 16 years. He has a vast menu, serving basics like a sausage sandwich, and he gets into the crazy stuff like the wildly popular deep-fried Reubens. He also offers frozen piña coladas and daiquiris. I highlighted the stand in a menu the other day because they sell 14-ounce pours of Flower Power IPA from the tap for $5.

“This year is all about the Picklewhich,” he said. “We can’t make them fast enough.”

This really is THE best sandwich for a hot and humid day. It’s basically a sub sandwich on a pickle instead of a soft roll. It’s a low-to-no-carb alternative to a hefty deli sandwich. (Face it, when you come to the State Fair, you’re not really thinking about maintaining a healthy diet. But I try to do what I can every so often. That’s why I ordered a Miller Lite with my picklewhich instead of a Utica Club.)

CuseTroop - this one's for you!