Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-trail-mix-day-illustration-600w-1488266390.jpg

Welcome to National Trail Mix Day!

National Trail Mix Day is dedicated to the snack mix of sustenance, which was conceived to be taken along on hikes. It is easy to carry and usually nutritious, often containing raisins, nuts, and granola. Chocolate is often also added. It's at least been around since 1910, when it was mentioned in Horace Kephart's The Book of Camping and Woodcraft. In many European countries it is known as "student snack" or "student food", and many hikers refer to trail mix as "gorp". This may be an acronym for "good old raisins and peanuts" or "granola, oats, raisins, peanuts."

SU News

Simeon Wilcher Has High Interest in Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball hosted talented prospects from the 2022, 2023 and 2024 classes for elite camp over the weekend. That includes top Orange target in the 2023 class Simeon Wilcher, a 6-4 guard out of Roselle Catholic in New Jersey. AllSyracuse.com caught up with Wilcher to discuss the elite camp, his interest in Syracuse and more.

Q: How was Syracuse's elite camp?

Simeon Wilcher: "The experience at the elite camp was very good. You kind of got a feel of things Syracuse did on the daily. Their workouts, team workouts. The competition was very good because it was a bunch of guys from a whole bunch of different areas. The best of the best. The competition was very good. We got to go against some guys that were really known and be able to just compete. No cameras, nothing. Just go at each other."

Q: What was it like being coached by the Syracuse staff?

Wilcher: "It was very good because they treated us like we were at the school. Like we were already guys committed to the school and this was their every day thing. That's how they treated us. They made us feel more locked in because it wasn't fake or anything. It was like we were one of the guys."

Q: What was your impression of the Melo Center?

Wilcher: "I've never seen a gym like that to be honest. It just had everything you need. Beautiful facility. From the walk-in all the way to the court, everything. They've got two full sized courts in there. Just the environment was one of a kind."

Q: What did you talk about with coach Boeheim and McNamara after the camp?

Wilcher: "Really just talking about how I did throughout the camp."

Q: What is your relationship like with Gerry McNamara?

Wilcher: "I feel like the relationship is getting better every day. He reaches out to me every day, checks up on me. He sends me stuff that will be beneficial to my game and me growing as a player. Just growing that relationship."

Syracuse Basketball: Top 3 most exciting on fast break in Jim Boeheim era (itlh; Clark)

Our hoops guru is taking a look at the most exciting Syracuse basketball players on the fast break.

Leading up to the 2021-22 Syracuse basketball campaign, it’s a good time for a 10-part series highlighting the best of the Boeheim era (1976-present).

I’ll give my takes, ranking the “Top 3” in many categories, from best free throw shooters to most exciting on a fast break. From top games in the Dome, to top games in the NCAA tourney and everything else in between.

I was 7-years-old in 1976 when the legendary Jim Boeheim, who is second all-time in career victories within Division I men’s basketball, became the head coach of the Orange. If I haven’t watched (or listened on the radio) intently to every single Syracuse basketball game since then, then it’s close to 98%.

Statistical facts in each Top 3 are fueled by the awesome OrangeHoops.org web site.

Part 1: Top 3 Triple Doubles.

Part 2: Top 3 Free Throw Shooters.

Today, it’s Part 3: My Top 3 Most Exciting on Fast Break.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star target seeks coach who wants 6-foot-10 guard (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2023 four-star prospect Matas Buzelis is a fast-riser across the country in his class, and his recruitment continues to gain steam.

Buzelis is a really intriguing high-school player. He said in a recent interview that he is now 6-foot-10, and I’ve read media reports about him that suggest he can suit up at point guard, shooting guard and forward.

In recent years, the Orange has done well in recruiting athletic, big and long guards, as well as players on the wing, and Buzelis certainly seems to fit that mold.

Can you imagine a 6-foot-10 guard like Buzelis at the top of the ‘Cuse 2-3 zone? That sounds like a wonderful idea to me and the rest of Orange Nation.

National recruiting analysts rave about the skill-set that Buzelis possesses. He obviously has stellar height and length, and Buzelis boasts versatility, an unselfish nature, strong court vision, solid ball-handling skills and a nice jump-shot, among other things.

Syracuse basketball four-star target Matas Buzelis has numerous high-major offers.

It’s no wonder that a diverse range of college teams are pursuing Buzelis, who is a consensus top-50 player in his class. Some recruiting services rate him in the top-25 overall within the 2023 cycle, and Buzelis could attain five-star status in the future.

The Orange coaching staff got in relatively early on with him, offering Buzelis a scholarship last November. Recently, blue-blood team and fellow Atlantic Coast Conference member North Carolina offered Buzelis, per a tweet from college basketball insider Adam Zagoria.

Other

Welch-Exterior-Night-WEB-640x362.jpg

Medical equipment maker Hill-Rom Holdings Inc. employs about 1,000 people at its plant in Skaneateles. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

$10 billion takeover bid for Hill-Rom in the works (report) (PS; $; Moriarty)

Baxter International Inc. is in advanced talks to buy medical equipment maker Hill-Rom Holdings for about $10 billion, according to The Wall Street Journal.

Chicago-based Hill-Rom has had a major presence in Skaneateles since it purchased Welch Allyn in 2015 for $2.05 billion. It employs about 1,000 people at its plant off State Street, where it makes medical diagnostic equipment.

The newspaper, citing people familiar with the matter, said the medical technology company based in Deerfield, Ill., is seeking to buy Hill-Rom for around $150 a share, which would value Hill-Rom at about $10 billion. Baxter has a market capitalization of about $37 billion, according to the report.

The bid follows Hill-Rom’s rejection of Baxter’s offer of $9.6 billion, or $144 a share, for the medical equipment maker.