Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
befunky-design4.jpg
Welcome to National Beer Lover's Day!

Today is dedicated to beer, and to everyone who loves to drink it! Beer making can be traced to about 6,000 years ago in ancient Sumeria. At that time, beer was cloudy because of lack of filtering, and it was drunk through a straw. By 2000 BCE, the Babylonians were brewing 20 types of beer. The Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans made beer, although wine became much more popular with the Romans—they considered beer to be the drink of the Barbarians and it was only popular on the edges of the Empire. Germanic groups were brewing beer by 800 BCE.

Because of contamination, beer was a much safer drink than water during the Middle Ages; it was drunk by people of all ages from all classes. The Catholic Church even got involved with brewing beer, and abbeys were testing grounds for improvements in brewing. Beginning in the ninth century, in Germany, hops began being introduced, standards were set up for beer, and beer began being mass-brewed. The 1516 Beer Purity Law—Reinheitsgebot—said a certain level of quality must be met for German beer. All beer could only be made with water, hops, malted barley, malted wheat, and yeast.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: With 4-star big man out, this 2022 prospect is crucial (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball recruiting target Dominick Barlow, a 2022 four-star big man, has opted to sign a professional deal with Overtime Elite, according to media reports.

With the 6-foot-9 forward no longer an option for the Orange, and the ‘Cuse having missed on two other 2022 four-star big men earlier this summer, it seems that Syracuse basketball would now focus its attention on talented and under-rated 2022 prospect Peter Carey.

The ‘Cuse coaching staff offered a scholarship to the 7-foot Carey in mid-July, and from what I’ve read about him, Syracuse basketball coaches have made him a high-priority, and they believe that he would fit in well within the Orange system.

Carey, who can play power forward and center, is heading into his senior year. He attends Northfield Mount Hermon School in Mount Hermon, Mass., and Carey runs on the AAU circuit with the West Hempstead, N.Y.-based New York Lightning Select.

Syracuse basketball 2022 target Peter Carey would provide a big boost to this class.

The Orange already has verbal commitments from a four-star point guard and a four-star wing in the 2022 cycle. The ‘Cuse also continues to pursue several other 2022 prospects, including a four-star combo guard and a four-star wing.

However, I’m not aware of Syracuse basketball presently having any other offers out there to 2022 big men. Of course, the transfer portal will be readily available to the team after the upcoming season.

Syracuse Basketball: Rumored leader for 4-star Chance Westry out of mix (itlh; Adler)

For a decent amount of time of late, a Southeastern Conference team has gotten all kinds of buzz for Syracuse basketball 2022 target Chance Westry, who is a four-star guard and a consensus top-40 prospect in this cycle.

The 6-foot-5 Westry received a scholarship offer from the Orange coaching staff more than two years ago. From what I can tell, he has amounted to a high-priority recruit for the ‘Cuse for a while.

Westry took several official visits earlier this summer, including one to the Hill. More recently, he named a top 10 of Syracuse basketball, Mike Hopkins-led Washington, Maryland, Auburn, LSU, Connecticut, Southern California, Arizona State, Nebraska and DePaul.

As we’ve written about in multiple columns in recent weeks, the SEC’s LSU had picked up a bunch of predictions from national analysts and recruiting insiders as it pertains to Westry’s recruitment.

But according to at least one tweet, LSU is no longer in the running for him.

Syracuse basketball is one of 10 finalists for four-star guard Chance Westry.

Adam Zagoria, a college basketball insider, recently sent out a couple of tweets regarding Westry’s recruiting process. For one, Zagoria wrote that “LSU is no longer in it.”

Just How Good Is “High Interest” Syracuse Target Simeon Wilcher? – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Amendolara)

The first priority for Syracuse is to finalize the Class of ’22. After losing Kamari Lands, SU needs to keep Justin Taylor and Quadir Copeland locked in to sign their letter of intent. After that, it’s about finding another piece to round out the class and soften the blow (or improve upon) Lands.

After that, it’s about turning the attention to the Class of ’23, and there’s already reason to be optimistic. Extremely optimistic. 5-star prospect Simeon Wilcher told Mike McAllister his feelings on Syracuse, “They’re at high interest right now. Very high interest.”

The Fizz recently detailed what a victory for college basketball Emoni Bates commitment to Memphis is. He’s one of the most celebrated high school phenoms in years and opted against the pros. Wilcher also turned down a large offer from Overtime Elite to stay at his high school. Wilcher may ultimately choose the G League or playing pros overseas, but for now he’s looking at college. He raved about the Melo Center: “I’ve never seen a gym like that to be honest. It just had everything you need. Beautiful facility. From the walk-in all the way to the court, everything… Just the environment was one of a kind.”

Wilcher is a 6’4″ guard out of Roselle Catholic in New Jersey, and attended an elite camp recently at the Dome. He said, “the experience at the elite camp was very good. You kind of got a feel of things Syracuse did on the daily… The best of the best. The competition was very good. We got to go against some guys that were really known and be able to just compete. No cameras, nothing. Just go at each other.”

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star, top-30 target details visits; is SU one of them? (itlh; Adler)

For a while now, numerous national analysts and recruiting insiders have pegged Syracuse basketball 2023 four-star target Matas Buzelis as one of the hottest prospects across the country in his class.

The 6-foot-10 Buzelis, who can suit up at multiple positions, including guard and on the wing, has already received a big-time ratings bump according to one recruiting service. That trend is likely to occur as other recruiting Web sites refresh their national rankings for the 2023 cycle.

Eric Bossi, the national basketball director for 247Sports, wrote in a recent article that Buzelis has “made a very strong case for five-star status and is pushing for at least the national top 10.”

The Orange coaching staff got in relatively early on with Buzelis, offering him a scholarship last November. Ever since this past mid-June, when college coaches could begin communicating directly with 2023 high-school players, Buzelis’ list of offers has continued to grow.

His suitors include a range of impressive high-major programs, such as North Carolina, Kansas, Florida State, Illinois, Florida, Purdue, Oklahoma, Arizona, UCLA, Maryland, Connecticut, DePaul, Providence, Wake Forest, Nebraska and Western Illinois.

Other

H424YK2SZNEWBPZGQR2T73FGQQ.jpg

A turkey leg from Porkey's BBQ Pork Palace on Restaurant Row. Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com

Daily menu: The best I ate and drank at the NY State Fair (so far) (PS; $; Miller)

We’ve made it through 15 days of the New York State Fair so far. That’s a lot of eating and drinking, a lot of Pepto Bismol and Advil. I should know; I have spent each one of those days and nights here sampling what syracuse.com readers suggested, oftentimes with those readers who reached out to me.

Some were favorites that you’ve eaten annually since you first started coming here as a kid. Some were dishes you just tried for the first time that blew you away. A couple were items you hadn’t had but were just curious about. Plenty were things I discovered on my own.

At the end of each day, I took the best of what I bought and created a menu for anyone looking for stuff to put on their State Fair bench.

With just a couple days to go, here is a compilation of the best I have consumed so far. I’ll continue to add to it until the end.

Day 1

Dominick Barlow knows that if things don't work out as a pro he can still play at Kansas.