Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Great-American-Pot-Pie-Day.jpg

Welcome to National Great American Pot Pie Day!

National Great American Pot Pie Day celebrates a distinctly American pie, the pot pie. The day was created in 2002 by Marie Callender's, a company that makes frozen pot pies, among other things. The original intention was for the day to be celebrated on the first day of fall, but September 23 continued to be the day of its celebration after it was first celebrated on that day. Although pot pies are similar to meat pies, they are an American creation, and were first referred to in print in the United States in 1785. They usually consist of a meat such as chicken, pork, or beef, and most times include vegetables such as carrots, peas, green beans, and potatoes. Another common ingredient is gravy. A top flaky crust is the norm, and there is usually a bottom crust as well, but not always. Besides being either made at home or bought at a restaurant, they can be bought frozen at a store. The first frozen pot pies were chicken, and were introduced by Swanson foods in the early 1950's.

SU News

MDRYUEFPHNGYZO7HXGPSE2LWDE.jpg

Syracuse center Bourama Sidibe has not played since injuring his knee in a game against Bryant on Nov. 27Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim says center Bourama Sidibe physically ready for start of practice (PS; $; Waters)

Bourama Sidibe’s senior season ended almost as soon as it began last year.

Sidibe, Syracuse’s starting center, injured his knee in the opening minutes of Syracuse’s game against Bryant in the season-opener at the Carrier Dome last November. The 6-10 senior missed almost the entire season, returning for an 11-minute stint in an early February game at Clemson.

On March 1, Sidibe took part in SU’s Senior Day ceremonies. He posed for photos with SU coach Jim Boeheim and fellow senior Marek Dolezaj. Sidibe and Dolezaj held their framed Syracuse jerseys.

But Sidibe decided to return to Syracuse for a fifth year and, after spending much of the offseason in continued rehabilitation, the 6-10 center is ready for the official start of practice next week.

On Wednesday, Boeheim said Sidibe was participating fully in preseason workouts and had been cleared to practice.

“He’s working out,’' Boeheim said in a telephone interview. “He’s working his way back in. He looks good.’'

Sidibe’s injury wiped out what was expected to be a breakout senior season. He had finished the 2019-20 season with a flourish, averaging 7.4 points and 8.5 boards in the last 10 games of his junior year.

Syracuse will hold its first official practice on Tuesday, Sept. 28. Boeheim said Sidibe needs the practice time leading up to Syracuse’s Nov. 9 opener against Lafayette after not playing for nearly a full year.

Chris Bunch, top 100 recruit in 2022 class, schedules second visit to Syracuse (PS; $; Waters)

Chris Bunch, a highly-rated prospect in the 2022 recruiting class, has scheduled an official visit to the Syracuse University campus for the weekend of Sept. 24-25, his father confirmed on Wednesday.

Bunch, a 6-foot-7 wing, currently attends Wasatch (Utah) Academy. He is ranked No. 72 in 247Sports.com composite ratings for the 2022 class and No. 58 in 247′s own rankings. ESPN.com has Bunch listed at No. 97 in its class rankings.

This will be the second time that Bunch has taken an official visit to Syracuse. He got a chance to see the SU campus during a visit last June. The NCAA now allows high school recruits to take five official visits during their junior year and five more in their senior year.

Bunch also holds offers from Rutgers, Washington, Creighton, Iowa State and several other schools. He visited Rutgers during the summer. He took a visit to Washington this past weekend.

He is considered an elite shooter with a lot of bounce as well. He can stretch the floor and take advantage of gaps in the defense to get to the paint.

Bunch’s visit to Syracuse will come on the same weekend as that of Peter Carey, a 6-foot-11 senior center from Northfield Mount Hermon School in Gill, Massachusetts.

Syracuse Basketball: Benny Williams an elite freshman, per Jon Rothstein (itlh; Adler)

The 2021 recruiting cycle is filled with an abundance of talented high-school players who are preparing for their freshmen seasons in college, and Syracuse basketball newbie Benny Williams is among them, according to more than one national pundit.

In recent months, I’ve seen a handful of comments from analysts, commentators and journalists that speak to the 6-foot-8 Williams being primed for a special first year on the Hill.

Only time with tell, although Williams enters the hoops scene in Central New York as one of the highest-rated recruits in recent Orange program history.

The Bowie, Md., native, who spent his senior season at the powerhouse IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., was a consensus four-star, top-40 player across the country in the 2021 class. Some recruiting services rated him as five stars and a top-25 prospect nationally.

Syracuse basketball forward Benny Williams should get sizable run as a freshman.

As we look ahead to the 2021-22 stanza, it’s certainly conceivable that Williams could end up as one of the premier freshmen in college basketball when all is said and done. But he’s got hefty competition in that arena.

To that end, CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein recently published a piece where he listed 25 impact freshmen for 2021-22. Williams made the cut.

Here’s what Rothstein had to say about Williams. “Jim Boeheim loves long athletes and he’s got one that’s tailor made for the 2-3 zone in Williams. While he still needs to add weight to his slender frame, this 6-8 forward should instantly be a factor for the Orange, who return their starting backcourt – Joe Girard and Buddy Boeheim – from last year’s team that reached the Sweet 16.”

Others who are on Rothstein’s list include Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren, Nolan Hickman and Hunter Sallis; Paolo Banchero, AJ Griffin and Trevor Keels of Duke; Georgetown’s Aminu Mohammed; Auburn’s Jabari Smith; Kentucky’s TyTy Washington; Emoni Bates and Jalen Duren of Memphis; and Tennessee’s Kennedy Chandler.

(youtube; video)

Demetris Nichols was the best player in the Big East for a time, and he has since joined up with Jim Boeheim on the Syracuse staff. He is the latest guest on The Scorer's Table.

1233358121.0.jpg

Could Zion Cruz End Up At Illinois After This Wild Ride? – Orange Fizz – Daily Syracuse Recruiting News & Team Coverage (orangefizz.net; Amendolara)

As documented by the Fizz numerous times throughout the summer, Zion Cruz’s recruitment has more plot twists than a Christopher Nolan film. It may also be more difficult to decipher than Inception. Cruz has been linked to Auburn because he felt like they were family. He’s called North Carolina “a dream school.” Creighton jumped in as a finalist. And he’s now resetting his recruitment and re-opening it for everyone.

So come on in and join the party.

Cruz took to Instagram to announce: “Choosing where to attend college is one of the most important decisions that I’ll make in my life, and I want to make sure that I give it careful consideration. I am beyond thankful to all of the programs that have expressed interest in me and I take seriously my continued search for the program that is the best fit for my future goals.”

So where does that leave the list? Throw open the barn doors. Rivals Rob Cassidy has removed all three of the presumed finalists (Auburn, UNC, Creighton) and pieced together a completely different group. He does say UNC “may still be in the mix.” Shake up that Magic 8-Ball and out spits Illinois, Oklahoma, DePaul, Georgia and Washington as the “teams to watch.”

Well, then.

Exonerated Five’s Kevin Richardson receives Syracuse’s first honorary undergrad degree (yahoo,com; Magee)

“The last time I actually attended a graduation, I was in sixth grade,” Richardson said on receiving the honor

Kevin Richardson, originally known as a member of the Central Park 5, has officially received Syracuse University’s first honorary undergraduate degree according to Pix 11.

Richardson, 46, dreamed of playing basketball for Syracuse University and performing in the school’s marching band. He was robbed of that dream in 1989 when he and Antron McCray, Yusef Salaam, Raymond Santana, and Korey Wise, all Black and Latino teenagers, were wrongfully convicted for the rape of Trisha Mieli, the Central Park Jogger.

In 2002, a serial rapist, Matias Reyes, who was already in jail confessed to the crime, and his DNA confirmed it. Now known as the Exonerated Five, Richardson, McCray, Wise, Santana and Salaam were cleared of all charges after spending between five and 13 years in prison.

“All of my friends, we all had different teams and mine was Syracuse,” Richardson previously said in an interview, theGRIO reported. “I just had a love for Syracuse.”

In 2019, he accepted the university’s invitation to visit and lend his name to a scholarship called the Our Time Has Come Kevin Richardson Scholarship. At the time, a separate student-led effort advocated for an honorary degree, and the move paid off. Richardson is the first person in Syracuse University history to receive an honorary undergraduate degree, as part of the class of 2020, New York’s Pix 11 reports.

“To be recognized by the university, that’s a really big deal,” Richardson said, “I brought my 13-year-old to witness it, to carry my legacy. So to be the first of anything is a blessing and I’m extremely humbled by it.”

Other

Jonas Brothers, Westcott Street Cultural Fair, Sportsmen’s Days: 13 things to do in CNY (PS; Croyle)

This coming weekend is the first one of autumn.

Apart from starting to rake leaves, viewing fall foliage, high school football games, and apple-picking, there are many fun things to do around Central New York.

The Jonas Brothers are performing at the Amp, the Westcott Street Cultural Fair, Sportsmen’s Days, Cazenovia Art Trail, and a SU football game are just some of the highlights.

Know of an event you would like to see on this list? Email us at features@syracuse.com.

Jonas Brothers

(L-R) Nick Jonas, Joe Jonas, and Kevin Jonas of Jonas Brothers perform onstage for the 2021 Billboard Music Awards, broadcast on May 23, 2021 at Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, California.Kevin Mazur/Getty Images

Jonas Brothers at the Amp

The Jonas Brothers will be performing their hits and fan favorites on Sunday night at the St. Joseph’s Health Amphitheater at Lakeview, part of their “Remember This Tour.” The concert begins at 7 p.m. Tickets are currently on sale through Live Nation for the Jonas Brothers’ Syracuse concert with Kelsea Ballerini. Additional tickets are available through StubHub, Seat Geek, TicketCity and Vivid Seats. Proof of vaccination or negative Covid test within 72 hours is required.

Where: 490 Restoration Way
When: Sunday, from 7 p.m.
How much: Tickets start at $29.95

Food Truck Battle

Head to Chevy Court at the New York State Fairgrounds on Saturday for a Food Truck Battle featuring more than 35 food trucks from Syracuse, Rochester and beyond. Starting at 11 a.m., the event will include craft beer, craft vendors, low-cost food samples, a kids’ zone, games, and more. A portion from your $5 ticket will go to three local charities, the Food Bank of CNY, Helping Hounds Dog Rescue and Clear Path for Veterans. For a list of food trucks, vendors, and to get tickets visit www.facebook.com/syracusefoodtruckassociation/events. Masks are required for everyone when indoors.