Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
maxresdefault.jpg
Welcome to Orange Shirt Day!

In Canada, over 150,000 First Nations, Métis, and Inuit children were forced to attend residential schools from the 1880s to 1990s. Shortly following the country's founding in 1867, there was an effort to create a Canadian national identity. This meant that the indigenous population would have to assimilate, to the point that their culture would be eradicated. A report released in 1879 said that the only way assimilation could be accomplished would be by taking children from their parents and putting them in residential schools. The report recommended that the government work with Christian churches to open the schools. The Canadian government started funding them in 1883, with the Roman Catholic Church and the Anglican Church being the main organizations running them. The schools did away with indigenous language and culture and replaced them with English and Christianity.

There was resistance from the indigenous population, so, in 1894, the Canadian government made attendance compulsory, and gave the Royal Canadian Mounted Police the authority to take children from reservations and bring them to schools. The schools were underfunded and were rampant with diseases, forced labor, and sexual abuse. Students who spoke in their native language were beaten. When students died, their parents often weren't told about it, and the children were buried in unmarked graves. The 2015 Truth and Reconciliation Commission Report estimated that 6,000 children died while attending the schools.

SU News

IWYF4IL73JARTJEC6FZH77YPJY.jpg

Syracuse guards Joe Girard III (11) and Buddy Boeheim (35) chat during a game against Virginia on Wednesday, Nov. 6, 2019, at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y. (Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com)

How many years of eligibility does each SU basketball player have left? (Mike’s Mailbox) (PS; $; Waters)

There is a wide variety of questions in this week’s Mike’s Mailbox.

We’ve got everything from a refresher on the eligibility for each Syracuse player, the top-scoring transfer in SU history, a look at ACC darkhorses and Cal Ripken.

Actually, it’s the reverse Cal Ripken. Confused? Read on and find out.

Q: I know the NCAA is giving players an extra year of eligibility because of Covid. But it’s easy to lose track. How many years of eligibility do the Syracuse players have? I’m particularly interested in the transfers.

Don F.

Mike:
The NCAA’s decision to grant players an extra year of eligibility because of the uncertainty that the coronavirus created heading into last season is a great benefit for the athlete. But it’s a source of confusion for fans and media members alike.

Adding to the confusion, schools aren’t listing the academic years of the athletes in a uniform manner. One school may call a senior a junior because he’s technically got two years of eligibility left, but another school will list him as a senior because academically he’s in his fourth year at the school. A player who has already redshirted a year just adds to the confusion.

But here’s the clearest way I can break down SU’s roster:

Final year of eligibility: Jimmy Boeheim transferred from Cornell where he played three years and sat out one. He’s a grad student and has just the 2021-22 season left. Bourama Sidibe is in his fifth and final year at SU.

Two years left: Buddy Boeheim is a senior. The 2021-22 season would normally be his final year. With the extra year rule, Boeheim could play an additional year, but he has indicated that he’s unlikely to do so. Same goes for Cole Swider, who played three years at Villanova.

Coach Speak: Peter Carey (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse picked up a big commitment on Tuesday in seven footer Peter Carey. All Syracuse caught up with Jesse Shapiro, who coached Carey with the New York Lightning but is now the Direct of Rens United and the head coach of the U17 squad for the New York Rens, to find out more about Carey's game.

OFFENSE

"I think his biggest attribute on the offensive end, and I'm not a genius here because other people that see him play will say the same thing, is his athletic ability and his ability to play above the rim," Shapiro said. "Finish above the rim. Finish dunks above the rim. Rebound the ball above the rim. Finish it high above the rim. That's his strongest points offensively right now. The way he runs the court, you don't see a lot of 7-1 dudes running the court the way he runs it. I would say the biggest point that he needs to get to reach that next plateau to make an impact at Syracuse or make an impact after Syracuse is he’s got to put on some muscle and he's got to be able to be a threat on the perimeter. Just a little bit.

“I mean being able to be respectable at the mid-range jumper because that would just open up so many things for him if he can hit that mid consistently. It's going to be hard to match up with him with another traditional big. He's not a traditional big because of the way he gets up and down the court. If you match him up against a traditional post-up big, and Peter develops a jump shot, he's going to go to work."

DEFENSE

"I think his biggest strength, by far, is his timing," Shapiro said. "His timing on blocking shots. I've coached a lot of kids, a lot of D1 kids, I've coached all levels. I've never seen anybody time, the timing especially from the weak side to make the help side block. Obviously when you get to the college level and you come from the weak side, in high school you can get away with coming from the weak side, blocking the shot and not having to worry about your man. Once you get to college, he's going to have to learn how to use that aggressiveness in shot blocking to his advantage. You're not just going to be able to come from the weak side and block a shot because the level of play is too high and one of those guards will just make a dish to the secondary guy and you'll have a dunk.

"I think he needs to be a little bit more patient. I think that's his biggest thing on the defensive end is being a little more patient. Trusting his athletic ability and not going for the ball fake on the first initial. If you're looking for somebody to sprint the court in transition and pin the shot, that's Peter Carey. There's changes at each level you go to. Going to the ACC it's not going to be easier, it's going to be harder there. But he's preparing himself the right way. He plays for John Carroll over at Northfield, so I know for a fact he's going to come out of Northfield as ready as possible to play at the next level."

WHEN WILL HE BE READY TO CONTRIBUTE?

"When you come from a school like Northfield, JC who coaches there, he gets kids college ready better than anybody I've ever seen," Shapiro said. "With Peter doing a fifth year at Northfield, I'm honestly hoping he can get on the court immediately. Not saying he will have an instant impact where you're getting 10 rebounds and six blocks or anything like that. But I do think that if you throw him into the mix, what I've seen from him in a sink or swim situation, he's always swam with me. He's never sunk. So I do think that he's an immediate player but I think an impact player for Syracuse is year two. No matter what you do at a Northfield or one of these top prep schools, it's a whole other level when you go to a college like Syracuse and what they're going to put you through to be prepared. So I think the combination of Northfield and coach Autry getting involved with Peter now, they can put a plan for him to be ready when he gets there.

Syracuse Basketball: In 2022, two top targets remain; SU good shot at both (itlh; Adler)

The verbal pledge by 2022 big man Peter Carey to Syracuse basketball on Tuesday gives the Orange three commitments so far in this cycle.

While the ‘Cuse has scholarship offers out there to numerous other 2022 players, at this juncture it does seem that the Orange’s two top remaining targets in this class are four-star wing Chris Bunch and Central New York native J.J. Starling, a four-star combo guard.

We’ll have to see how everything shakes out in the recruitments of both Bunch and Starling over the next few weeks, however, I do believe that Syracuse basketball continues to be in strong contention for each 2022 prospect.

In the ‘Cuse 2022 cycle, Carey joins four-star wing Justin Taylor and four-star point guard Quadir Copeland, both of whom are top-100 prospects nationally in this class.
Syracuse basketball is in the hunt for two four-star players in the 2022 cycle.

Here’s the latest regarding Starling and Bunch. The 6-foot-4 Starling, a consensus top-40 prospect who is a senior at the La Lumiere School in La Porte, Ind., has five finalists in the ‘Cuse, Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Stanford.

Starling recently took a second official visit to the Hill. Last weekend, he visited the Blue Devils. That he doesn’t commit on his official visit to Duke made me feel a bit better about the Orange’s chances.

The word is that Starling is eyeing a commitment sometime in October. And the buzz among some industry insiders is that this recruitment will come down to Syracuse basketball and Duke.

As we’ve noted, the Blue Devils of late have landed commitments from a 2022 four-star shooting guard, as well as 2023 five-star point guard. Could that influence Starling one way or another? We’ll see.

The 6-foot-7 Bunch, meanwhile, recently visited Mike Hopkins-led Washington. He made a trip to Rutgers over the summer. This past weekend, though, Bunch took his second official to the Orange, and his visit coincided with Carey’s official visit to Central New York.

The Syracuse men's basketball team began official practice on Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2021. Video courtesy of SU Athletics.

College basketball: Syracuse receives verbal commitment from center Carey (nny360.com; St Croix)

The Syracuse University men’s basketball team received a verbal commitment from 2022 center Peter Carey on Tuesday.
The 7-foot, 210-pound prospect from Sunderland, Mass., who plays high school basketball for Northfield Mount Hermon, posted a graphic to social media in which he’s wearing an SU uniform, with the caption “100 percent committed.”

Carey reportedly made an official visit to SU over the past weekend and committed to coach Jim Boeheim over offers from Massachusetts, Rutgers, Bryant, Iona, St. Bonaventure, and Brown, according to http:///. He is not yet rated by the major online recruiting services.

Carey is the third player committed to SU’s 2022 recruiting class, joining a pair of four-star teammates from the IMG Academy in Florida — wing Justin Taylor and point guard Quadir Copeland.

The Orange had previously landed a verbal pledge from 2022 four-star forward Kamari Lands, but he announced in August that he was reopening his recruitment.

Other

TOWRJULBK5G7ZJAATW75PGANNM.jpg

The space where a building housing two restaurants would be located at Towne Center at Fayetteville.

Which restaurants are moving into new buildings at Towne Center at Fayetteville? (PS; $; Doran)

In April, two new restaurants were proposed for Towne Center at Fayetteville, in the area between the existing McDonald’s and the new Key Bank.

But the names of those restaurants were kept quiet. Curious Manlius planners and residents asked, and were told they were national chains. One would be Mexican, and the other would serve salads and sandwiches.

Now there is an answer.

The two restaurants are Chipotle Mexican Grill and Panera Bread, said Joseph Lupia, who chairs the Manlius planning board.

Panera, which already operates in the mall in the freestanding plaza across from Target, next to Sweet Frog, will move into the new location. This will allow it to have a drive-thru, Lupia said.

Plans were presented, but Route 5 Development Co., which is part of COR Development, wouldn’t reveal the names of the two eateries. COR owns Towne Center at Fayetteville, which is in the town of Manlius.

Planners approved the project Monday night, although each restaurant will now be housed in its own separate building, rather than sharing one building as originally proposed.

The original plan called for both restaurants to share a single 7,240-square-foot one-story building. Due to concerns over traffic flow into the businesses, the developer changed plans. Panera will now be housed in a 4,208-square-foot building with a drive-thru, and Chipotle in a 2,410 square-foot building, according to the site plan. Each restaurant will have its own traffic pattern.

Residents who live in nearby Fayette Manor expressed concerns over the new restaurants adding to the traffic at Towne Center and causing more accidents.