Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
world-teachers-day-lettering-greeting-card-vector-id1171427165

Welcome to World Teacher's Day!

Since 1994, World Teachers' Day has celebrated teachers. It focuses on "appreciating, assessing and improving the educators of the world," "provide an opportunity to consider issues related to teachers and teaching," and aims to bring a better understanding of the role that teachers play in developing students and society. It also commemorates the adoption of the "Recommendation concerning the Status of Teachers," which took place at an intergovernmental conference in Paris on the date in 1966. The document, created by UNESCO and the ILO, set benchmarks for the rights and responsibilities of teachers and set standards for the preparation, continuing education, recruiting, employment, and teaching and learning conditions of teachers. It was followed up 31 years later by the "Recommendations concerning the Status of Higher Education Teaching Personnel," which covered teachers in higher education. World Teachers' Day is co-convened by the ILO, UNICEF, and Educational International (EI). The campaign has a different theme each year.

SU News

Maliq Brown Discusses Syracuse Visit (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball hosted class of 2022 Culpeper (VA) Blue Ridge power forward Maliq Brown for an official visit over the weekend. In addition to Syracuse, Brown holds offers from Georgetown, NC State, Penn State, St. John's, TCU, Texas A&M, VCU, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest and several others. All Syracuse caught up with Brown to discuss the trip.

"The visit was really good," Brown said. "Some of the best parts that I liked about the visit was being able to have a connection with all of the coaches, everybody on the staff with the basketball team, the people who worked at Syracuse, the basketball players. It was a really good atmosphere and was fun to be around."

Hanging out with the current Syracuse players gave Brown a feel for what it is like to be part of the team.

"It made me feel like I was at home," Brown said. "They made me feel very welcomed. All the guys were really cool. The coaching staff was cool. It was really fun."

One of the highlights of the visit was spending time with the Syracuse coaches.

"We had this little film session," Brown said. "I sat down with coach Boeheim and coach G-Mac. They see me coming in and playing similar to my position now (in high school), but maybe more controlling the ball and doing some more things on offense. On defense, since they run that zone, I'd be playing on the wing of the 2-3 zone. They saw me as some of the ways I'm used to being in."

Brown was also impressed by Syracuse's facilities.

"The Carrier Dome is pretty nice," Brown said. "The Melo Center it was nice. I didn't really know anything about the Melo Center until I got there. So it was pretty cool."

Throughout the visit, Brown was approached by students at Syracuse and fans in the area.

"I saw a lot of students," Brown said. "Especially like the fans around the campus. They were very welcoming. A lot of them knew who I was. Some of them knew I was on my visit. They just welcomed me and told me all the good things about Syracuse."

Brown said he had a lot of interest in Syracuse entering the visit, and that remained afterwards. Among the attractive aspects of the program is the fact that his good friend, Justin Taylor, is also committed to the Orange.

"Me and Justin have played together for a while," Brown said. "I don't know how young, but we were really young when we first started playing together. I like playing with Justin. He's a very good player, very underrated. He's a really good player. I have played with Quadir Copeland over the summer at one of these camps I went to. It was really good playing with him too."

So what is next for Brown's recruitment?

"I don't know about my commitment date or cutting my list down," Brown said. "I might have one more visit (Georgetown) but I'm not sure yet."

VLW232TMX5DGXCXNH7HE5324G4.jpg

Frontier's Peter Carey dunks during a game against Pioneer Valley Regional.

https://www.masslive.com/resizer/8E...m/advancelocal/VLW232TMX5DGXCXNH7HE5324G4.jpg (masslive.com; Cote)

For many highly touted recruits, the day they are set to make the decision on what their future holds is often coupled with a flurry of emotions.

It is thrilling and exciting, but with it comes a sense of stress, doubt and in some cases indecisiveness.

For Northfield Mount Hermon and former Frontier Regional center Peter Carey, committing to Syracuse was one of the easiest decisions of his young life.

There was never even a sliver of doubt in the Sunderland native’s mind when he announced his verbal commitment to Jim Boeheim’s Orange via Twitter on Sept. 28.

Rutgers, UMass, St. Bonaventure, and Iona - among others - heavily pursued Carey, but after an official visit to Syracuse the weekend prior to his announcement, his decision was all but made.

“I fell in love with the place,” Carey said. “I knew right after the visit what I was going to do.”

Carey considered waiting until his senior year started to see if any other opportunities might come about, but he was pleased with what he was hearing from Boeheim and the Orange coaching staff and recognized there was no other place he would want to go.

“For a while I was thinking ‘I’m going to wait it out, I’m going to wait a few more months,’” Carey said. “But as I got to thinking more about it, I was asking myself if there was even a better situation for me in the country. Not only does their system fit me really well, I feel like they will use me to the best of my abilities. I will really be able to shine there.”

That system is Boeheim’s 2-3 zone defense that he has installed every year since the 1990s. With the length and athleticism of Carey in the middle, he will be able to provide a significant threat as a rim protector and be an adept rebounder for the Orange.

Knowing that Boeheim is widely assessed as an all-time great, Carey plans to absorb every small detail of information that he can from the five-time Final Four appearing coach.

“I just want to go in there and act like a sponge and soak up all the information,” Carey said. “I don’t want anything to get in the way of me learning from one of the best coaches ever, so I have to stay humble and just be really open to learning from him every day.”

This mindset was suggested by Carey’s parents, John Carey and Leena Valge. He praises his parents for the everlasting sacrifices they have made and continue to make for him to chase his dreams.

“They have been constant, unconditional supporters of me,” Carey said. “It’s helped me out big time and they’ve helped me relieve a lot of stress. They both played sports in college, so they understand the process of what it’s like to be a student-athlete with how much effort, hard work and time you need to give in order to be great, so I’m really appreciative of them.”

Carsten Carey, Peter’s older brother, was a high school basketball phenomenon himself. Instead of continuing on with his basketball career, he pursued rowing at the collegiate level. The constant battles and competitiveness between the two in everything they did growing up helped push Peter to a whole new level.

3ATK725I3VFXRDVKEFPUCFL3BA.png

Jim Boeheim on the Syracuse University golf team in 1964. Pictured from left to right: coach Andy Mogish, Harry Kowadla, Jim Seaman, Jim Olp, Rick Bates, Charlie Jurgonis, Clyde Cawley and Jim Boeheim. Boeheim spent two years on the golf team. He later became the team's coach. Provided photo

Did you know Jim Boeheim played golf at Syracuse for 2 years? ‘He was a legitimate 3-handicap’ (PS; Waters)

It’s an oft-told story that before he became the basketball coach at Syracuse, Jim Boeheim coached the Syracuse golf team.

In fact, Boeheim was the last person to coach golf at Syracuse, filling that role from 1967 to 1973 at a time when he was also an assistant to basketball coach Roy Danforth.

But there’s another golf tale regarding Boeheim that, for some odd reason, isn’t as well known.

Before he coached the golf team at Syracuse, Boeheim earned two varsity letters in the sport.

Boeheim’s years on the golf team aren’t part of his biography in the school’s media guide. Jack McCallum wrote a book titled “Bleeding Orange’' about Boeheim and never mentioned that he spent two years on the school’s golf team.

But Boeheim did earn varsity letters in both 1964 and 1965 with the golf, running up an individual record of 6-6-1 in those two seasons.

“It was fun,’’ Boeheim said recently when pressed about his time on the golf team. “I wasn’t that good. I was probably the fifth or sixth guy on the team. At that time, I was in the mid-to-high 70s.’’

Some of Boeheim’s former teammates describe Boeheim a bit differently, starting with the fact that he was often the team’s No. 2 in match play.

“He was a legitimate 3-handicap,’’ Charlie Jurgonis, who played on the team from 1962 to 1964, said. “By legitimate, I mean he could go play another course and play well. He could play to a 3 anywhere he went.’’

Ted Till played one year on the golf team as a teammate of Boeheim’s and finished his career playing for Boeheim.

“He had a very good short game,’’ Till said. “He was not an exceptionally long hitter. I wasn’t either. We probably hit the ball about the same distance. He was a cerebral golfer. He had a good swing.’’

Jurgonis described Boeheim as “a grinder.’’

“He knew he was a good putter,’’ Jurgonis said. “He knew he just had to get it on the green and he had a chance.’’

Boeheim likes to tell people that as far as the media knew he had an undefeated record as Syracuse’s golf coach because “if we lost, I wouldn’t call in the scores.’’

Syracuse Basketball: J.J. Starling No. 1 star at prestigious Wootten camp (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2022 high-priority target J.J. Starling recently participated in the Wootten Top 150 event, and one national recruiting analyst was raving about Starling’s performance.

The 6-foot-4 Starling is a four-star combo guard and a consensus top-40 prospect across the country within his cycle. The Central New York native, a senior at the La Lumiere School in La Porte, Ind., has the Orange among his five finalists, along with Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame and Stanford.

Starling recently took a second official visit to the Hill. He also has made several other trips of late, including to the Blue Devils. In recent interviews, Starling has said that he’s likely to make a commitment announcement sometime in October.

Throughout his recruiting process, Starling, his family and others in his inner circle have kept things pretty close to the vest, so it’s difficult to gauge which contender might prove the favorite to land him.

Syracuse basketball four-star target J.J. Starling shined at a recent event.

The rumblings that I’ve heard about Starling from recruiting insiders suggest that the ‘Cuse is firmly in contention for the elite 2022 guard.

Duke is also a formidable adversary, although the Blue Devils did recently pick up verbal commitments from a 2022 four-star shooting guard and a 2023 five-star point guard.

The buzz is that both Notre Dame and Stanford could be significant threats to the Orange at this juncture. We’ll just have to wait and see how everything pans out.

Starling suited up at the Wootten Top 150 camp, which was held October 2 and October 3 in Mansfield, Texas. Per the event’s Web site, this was an invite-only showcase where 2022, 2023 and 2024 prospects competed.

Syracuse Basketball: Jon Rothstein currently has Orange outside of top 25 (itlh; Adler)

Not too long ago, we penned a column detailing that college basketball insider Andy Katz is pretty bullish on Syracuse basketball ahead of the 2021-22 campaign.

Katz, in his recently published pre-season bracketology for the 2022 Big Dance, places the Orange as a No. 5 seed, with an overall ranking of No. 18. That’s darn good, if you ask me, as the ‘Cuse is only behind perennial heavyweight Virginia in Katz’s Atlantic Coast Conference pecking order.

Another collegiate hoops insider, CBS Sports’ Jon Rothstein, also recently came out with his pre-season top-45 ratings prior to 2021-22, and he’s got the Orange a bit further down, at least for the time being.

The main thing that I want to preface here is that these super early prognostications for the ‘Cuse and the rest of the teams in Division I men’s basketball are really “guesstimates” and should get taken with a grain of salt. That being said, I respect the opinions of both Rothstein and Katz, as they know a ton about the sport.

See where a pundit arranges Syracuse basketball on a national scale.

In his top 45, Rothstein presently puts the Orange at No. 32 overall. This is not a terrible placement and falls in line with numerous other national analysts and commentators. Obviously, it’s not No. 18, where Katz has the ‘Cuse.

Rothstein’s top 10, in order, is Gonzaga, UCLA, Villanova, Kansas, Texas, Purdue, Michigan, Illinois, Oregon and Baylor. For what it’s worth, Syracuse basketball is slated to play Villanova this season in New York City, and the Orange could also face Baylor, the defending NCAA champs, in the 2021 Bad Boy Mowers Battle 4 Atlantis.

As far as the ACC is concerned, Rothstein has seven teams from this conference in his rankings. In order, they are No. 11 Duke, No. 12 North Carolina, No. 20 Virginia, No. 22 Florida State, No. 31 Virginia Tech, No. 32 Syracuse basketball and No. 45 Notre Dame.

We all know what's going to happen with Syracuse, right? They go 20-10, they finished the season somewhere around the bubble and, when they get to the tournament, every one forgets how to play against a zone, Syracuse forgets how to miss threes and the Orange somehow find themselves in the second weekend. How will they get there? Mike Waters, Eric Devendorf and Jim Boeheim join Jeff Goodman to break it all down.

Former Syracuse basketball star Jerami Grant embraces leadership role with Detroit Pistons (PS; Williams)

When Jerami Grant signed with the Detroit Pistons last season, the faces of the team’s on-court leadership looked a little different. Now, he’s the leader and he’s ready to take on the responsibilities that come with it.

The Pistons are seven days into training camp and there is an expectation that Grant will continue to be “the guy.” There’s also the notion that he will be stepping into more of a leadership role this season.

“I think it’s going to be more of a leader role,” Grant said at last Monday’s Media Day. “When I was here, Blake (Griffin) and D(errick) Rose were already here. They were the leaders when I first got here and I think this year is different.”

At the start of the 2020-21 season, the Pistons were just beginning the restoration of the franchise. The team still had both Griffin and Rose, who were expected to take on roles in helping the development of Detroit’s young players.

Grant was a part of that young core Detroit was looking to build around. Part of his development included taking on a bigger offensive role. The presence of Griffin and Rose helped the 27-year-old work toward being “the guy” the Pistons could look to in crunch time.

In the first 31 games of last season, Grant averaged 23.3 points per game, while making 43.6 of his shots in the field. He attempted 6.7 shots from distance and made 37.6 percent of them.

UNC Basketball: Former Tar Heels’ target lands in ACC (keepingitheel.com; Pearson)

There was a time where it was believed that three-star power forward De’Ante Green was the top recruiting target for the UNC basketball program in the 2022 class. The Swannanoa, North Carolina native developed a relationship with UNC after landing his offer in the Roy Williams era.

But after that, things appeared to fall off on both sides.

Other teams started to pursue Green more and more as UNC kind of fell back in the recruitment over the past few months. Then in the Summer, it appeared as if UNC backed off for good leaving Green with plenty of other options.

The talented forward narrowed his list down to NC State, Florida State, Wake Forest and Tennessee, three Atlantic Coast Conference teams and an SEC program. And in the end, Green has opted to stay in the ACC for his college career.

Green made the decision on Sunday to stay in the ACC and picked Florida State with an announcement.

2022 four-star De’Ante Green has committed to Florida State, he tells @On3Recruits.
Story: De'Ante Green, 2022 4-star, commits to Florida State pic.twitter.com/NCWcr77OUX
— Joseph Tipton (@TiptonEdits) October 3, 2021

The Seminoles pick up their third commitment in the 2022 class, adding Green along with four-star Cameron Corhen and small forward Tom House.

It also means that UNC will get to see Green at least once a year in the future, beginning next season.

Green was ranked as a three-star recruit in the updated 247Sports rankings, the No. 128 prospect overall, No. 13 power forward and No. 2 player in the state. The Seminoles class is now ranked No. 29 overall and No. 7 in the ACC for this recruiting cycle.

Everyone’s Talking About Wendell (DBR; King)

Most Duke fans by now have seen the clip of Wendell Moore doing a jaw-dropping dunk in practice and take it as an augur of good things to come.

And that’s what his coaches think too.

Moore, who has been erratic and struggled at times with his confidence, looks to have taken the next step or maybe more. He’s stronger, he’s better conditioned and, perhaps most importantly, he understands his journey better and has the confidence that he lacked before. Here’s what coach Mike Krzyzewski has to say:

“All those things that are said and all the sudden the guy is good,” Coach K told the Raleigh News & Observer. “(People say) `Well, I’m surprised.’ Well, you’re surprised because you don’t know it’s a process. I mean, you don’t get an app to be good. You have to earn being good. And he spent the spring changing his body and how he runs. He’s taller now. He’s a much better athlete.”

Other

USXY5WW4RZB2BICILW4SCNOD6A.jpg

Rochester businessman Ted Filer is turning the former Bon-Ton department store at Great Northern Mall in Clay into a self-storage facility. (Rick Moriarty | rmoriarty@syracuse.com)

Why a Rochester man is buying up empty space in Great Northern Mall (PS; $; Moriarty)

The Great Northern Mall in Clay has been struggling for years. It lost its last anchor, Dick’s Sporting Goods, in July, so any new activity is notable.

In recent months, workers have been seen going in and out of the old Bon-Ton store. And over the last few weeks, a metal fence has gone up in a large section of the parking lot outside the store.

That’s why syracuse.com | Post-Standard readers asked us what’s up with the long-vacant Bon-Ton Department Store on the north side of the mall.

So we checked into it, and we learned a Rochester business man has figured out a use for empty department stores inside dying malls throughout the country.

Ted Filer bought the old Bon-Ton store in July 2020 for $650,000. Since 2018, Filer has been buying vacant stores -- including former Bon-Tons, Kmarts, Sears and Macy’s -- in malls all over the country and turning them into self-storage facilities.

Reached by phone, Filer wouldn’t say how many vacant stores he has bought, citing the need to keep the information confidential in a the highly competitive self-storage market. But he said he has self-storage facilities currently under construction in 10 cities around the country. The old Bon-Ton store at Great Northern is one of them, he said.

Filer has formed a company, Mustard Street Management, to operate the facilities. The name comes from his first project, an old French’s Mustard factory on Mustard Street in Rochester that he turned into a mix of self-storage and manufacturing space.

He said mall owners are sometimes reluctant at first to sell their vacant big box stores to him because they still have hopes for “retail revivals,” but eventually see the light.

“Eventually I think everybody comes around to the fact that vacant buildings are an eyesore,“ he said. “Though self-storage doesn’t generate the traffic in terms of employment or customers, it is a viable business. The building will never suffer vacancy, burned out lightbulbs, broken curbstones or smashed glass. That will never be the case with the Bon-Ton space again, and it had all of those a year ago.”