Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant

a2qj539_700b.jpg

Welcome to INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY!

EVERYONE IS TO PUT THE CAPS LOCK ON BEFORE TYPING ON INTERNATIONAL CAPS LOCK DAY, A DAY THOUGHT UP BY DEREK ARNOLD OF IOWA IN 2000. HE STARTED THE DAY AS A PARODY, TO TAKE A JAB AT THOSE WHO WRITE IN CAPS WHEN IT IS NOT NECESSARY. WRITING IN ALL CAPS IS OFTEN USED TO INDICATE THAT THE PERSON TYPING IS SHOUTING, AND ITS USE IS OFTEN SEEN AS BEING RUDE OR ANNOYING. BEING THAT CAPS LETTERS ARE ALL THE SAME HEIGHT, THEY ARE HARDER TO READ THAN LOWER CASE LETTERS. THIS GIVES ONE INDICATION OF WHY THEY MAY BE SEEN AS BEING ANNOYING. THE DAY WAS ORIGINALLY JUST CELEBRATED ON OCTOBER 22, BUT AFTER "INFOMERCIAL KING" BILLY MAYS PASSED AWAY ON JUNE 28 IN 2009, THE DAY BEGAN BEING CELEBRATED ON THAT DATE AS WELL. THIS IS BECAUSE THE CAPS LOCK KEY STARTED BEING CALLED THE BILLY MAYS KEY BECAUSE BILLY MAYS SEEMED LIKE HE WAS ALWAYS YELLING WHEN HE TALKED ABOUT A PRODUCT.

THIS ONE IS FOR YOU CALI!

SU News

E4MQXXWNXJE3TGQC7VIYC6F3PQ.jpg

Justin Taylor, a 6-foot-6 guard out of Charlottesville, Va., is a consensus Top 60 recruit in the Class of 2022. He also plays on the AAU circuit with Team Takeover.Josh Verlin/City of Basketball Love

ESPN recruiting expert offers player-by-player analysis of Syracuse basketball’s recruiting class (PS; Waters)

Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim and his staff netted their fifth player commitment in the 2022 recruiting class on Thursday when Chris Bunch, a top 100 prospect, announced his decision to play for the Orange.

On one hand, Bunch, who currently attends Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah; is the highest-rated of Syracuse’s five incoming recruits, but in a broader sense, Bunch is representative of the entire class.

A 6-foot-8 small forward, Bunch has great size for his position. According to scouts, he possesses upside that belies his class rank. And he is a great fit for the Syracuse system.

“I think that when you look at the collective positional size, length and athleticism,’' ESPN recruiting expert Adam Finkelstein said, “they’re going to fit the way Syracuse likes to play, especially on the defensive end of the floor.’’

In addition to Bunch, Syracuse’s 2022 class includes Peter Carey, a 6-11 center from Northfield Mount Hermon School in Gill, Massachusetts; Justin Taylor, a 6-6 shooting guard from Charlottesville, Virginia; and Quadir Copeland, a 6-6 guard from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; and Maliq Brown, a 6-foot-9 forward at the Blue Ridge School in St. George, Virginia.

Bunch is ranked No. 72 in 247Sports.com composite ratings for the 2022 class and No. 58 in 247′s own rankings. His addition bumps Syracuse’s class ranking to No. 10 in the country on 247Sports.com.

“I think the depth of the group is their defining characteristic, but the overall positional size is a close second,’' Finkelstein said. “Copeland, Bunch and Taylor all provide terrific size in the backcourt with a combination of shooting and playmaking. Brown is going to be capable of playing immediate minutes upfront while Carey is more of a long-term stock, but one with clear potential.’’

chris-bunch-cropped.jpg

Syracuse basketball recruiting: Four-star wing Chris Bunch commits to Orange on CBS Sports HQ (cbssports.com; Cobb)

Coveted Class of 2022 basketball prospect Chris Bunch announced his commitment to Syracuse live Thursday on CBS Sports HQ as he picked the Orange over Washington and Rutgers. Bunch is ranked the No. 58 overall player and No. 16 small forward in the class by 247Sports. He is Syracuse's fifth commitment of the 2022 class and the highest rated of the group, which will rise from No. 14 to No. 10 in the 247Sports team rankings after Bunch's commitment.

"I decided Syracuse because I felt like it was the best place for me on and off the court," Bunch said. "Education is a big thing for my mother, so I've been trying to stay on top of that. I think being out there at Syracuse, I get to focus on my education. Also, being with coach G-Mac (Gerry McNamara), Coach Griff (Allen Griffin), Coach Red (Adrian Autry) and Coach (Jim) Boeheim, that was a big thing for me. That's why I chose Syracuse."

Bunch is set to play his senior season for Wasatch Academy in Mount Pleasant, Utah, after suiting up for De La Salle High School in Concord, California last season. The lanky 6-foot-7 wing is considered "one of the top perimeter shooters from the wing position in the 2022 class," according to 247Sports.

Here is the full scouting report on Bunch from 247Sports national basketball recruiting analyst Brandon Jenkins:

"A smooth big wing at 6-foot-7 who projects as a knock-down three-point shooter at the high major level. Bunch looked most comfortable in catch and shoot situations as he displayed excellent touch when his feet were set. With his length and ability to stretch the floor, he should be a good fit in offensive structure at the next level and has significant upside still left to discover."

Axe: SU football’s can’t lose game, Boeheim’s 2022 cupboard stocked (quick takes) (PS; $; Axe)

Bunch of Recruits

Jim Boeheim’s recruiting pantry is nearly full.

Syracuse landed a commitment from Top 100 stud Chris Bunch on Thursday. Bunch, who is ranked No. 72 in 247Sports.com composite ratings for the 2022 class and No. 58 in 247′s own rankings, joined four other players in Syracuse’s 2022 recruiting class.

Bunch is considered an elite shooter who can stretch the floor and take advantage of gaps in the defense to get to the paint.

He told syracuse.com’s Mike Waters that Syracuse just felt right when it came to decision time on Wednesday night.

“What the coaches have told me has always been the same ― come in and be a scorer and be athletic in the zone,” Bunch said. “Coach Griff has been recruiting me for two years. That’s what I’ve always been told. It’s what Coach Boeheim has always said. Mainly, me just being able to score at all three levels and being where I can score the ball.’’

The 2022 Syracuse class of five commitments, which includes two Top 100 talents in Bunch and 6-6 guard Justin Taylor, is a good mix of scorers, shooters, defenders, big men and floor generals.

Just for a little perspective, here are Syracuse’s last five recruiting classes with 247′s national ranking noted first followed by the ACC ranking of the class in parenthesis.

It represents a good mix of players that have excelled at Syracuse among others that have already sought out success in other locales via the transfer portal or other means.

2022 4-star SF Chris Bunch commits to Syracuse basketball - The Juice Online (the juice; Staff)

Class of 2022 Wasatch (UT) Academy forward Chris Bunch committed to Syracuse on Thursday afternoon on CBS Sports HQ.

Rated four stars by both Rivals and 247 Sports, Bunch chose SU over finalists Rutgers and Washington. Ranked the No. 19 small forward and the No. 72 overall prospect this cycle by the 247Sports Composite, he represents Syracuse’s top rated commitment in what now is a five-player class.

Bunch took two official visits to Syracuse, and also officially visited Rutgers and UW. He is a 6-foot-7 prospect who projects as a small forward at the college level.

His other offers included Maryland, Ole Miss, San Diego State, Oklahoma, Iowa State, Creighton and Seton Hall.

Syracuse has four other commitments in the 2022 class, including guard Quadir Copeland, forwards Maliq Brown and Justin Taylor, and center Peter Carey. The class jumped from the 14th rated class to the 10th overall class as a result of the commitment.

2022 four-star Chris Bunch has committed to Syracuse, he tells @On3Recruits.
Story: Chris Bunch, 2022 four-star, commits to Syracuse pic.twitter.com/h9WJGCbNjo
— Joe Tipton (@TiptonEdits) October 21, 2021

ACC Recruiting: Syracuse Lands A Good One (DBR; King)

Syracuse has missed on several major targets this recruiting cycle but not on Thursday: Chris Bunch, a 6-7 forward from Concord, California or Oklahoma City depending on where you look, committed to the Orange on Thursday.

A Top 60 recruit, he’s likely to do well with the ‘Cuse where he’ll provide solid three point shooting and athleticism. He joins Justin Taylor, Quadir Copeland, Maliq Brown and Peter Carey to give Jim Boeheim a possible Top Ten class.

Other

N2JIOUJGPZFZDHD77VWSTBOKSE.jpg

Inside the dining room at Luna Loca, Syracuse, N.Y. (Jared Paventi | jaredpaventi@gmail.com)

https://www.syracuse.com/food/2021/...-downtown-syracuse-dining-out-review.html(PS; $; Paventi)

Visiting Luna Loca in Downtown Syracuse without a reservation on Syracuse University’s family weekend was, admittedly, a tactical error. There was no mention of reservations on its website, so we thought that our visit might involve a wait at the bar.

It turns out management decided to take reservations for the weekend, given the anticipated crowd of diners, which meant that our Saturday evening visit would find us relegated to seating at the bar.

As former devotees of The Mission, the Mexican/Latin American spot that once occupied the red brick building once home to a historic Wesleyan Methodist Church in Columbus Circle, we had become accustomed to waiting for tables over glasses of sangria and baskets of housemade tortilla chips.

Like a fit of muscle memory, it was the first thing we looked for after sitting at the end of the 10-seat bar. A basket of salty chips and freshly made pico de gallo arrived quickly after sitting down as we perused the menu.

Comparing Luna Loca to The Mission would be completely unfair, as owners Ryan and Leigh Ann Benz attempt to carve out their own legacy in the same space. The Benzes, which also operate Oh My Darling, opened the doors to Luna Loca in June with a new look and feel. Gone are the bright yellow and blue paints that emphasized the California-Mexican mission church-style decor. Stark white paint brightens the interior, which also features new booths along one wall and overhead shelving around the bar area.