Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to National Pumpkin Day!

National Pumpkin Day celebrates pumpkins, a cultivar of the squash plant that is native to North America. Its name is derived from the Greek word "pepon", which means large melon. Pumpkins have long since been associated with the harvest season, and both Halloween and Thanksgiving. During Halloween many people pick or buy pumpkins—most often the Connecticut Field pumpkin—and carve them into jack-o'-lanterns. Vegetables such as turnips have long been carved in Ireland and Britain, and the practice of carving pumpkins into jack-o'-lanterns stemmed from the story of Stingy Jack. Pumpkins were one of the squashes long eaten by Native Americans, which they introduced to Europeans shortly after the settlers arrived in the Americas. In fact, pumpkin pie was served at one of the Pilgrim's first Thanksgivings in the early 1620's, and is now a staple of Thanksgiving meals. A smaller strain of the Connecticut Field pumpkin, the Small Sugar pumpkin, is often used for pumpkin pie, but most Americans buy pie filling or puree in cans instead of getting it from fresh pumpkins. Although most Americans only use fresh pumpkins for carving, there has been a growing interest in pumpkin flavored foods in recent years, which can be attributed to Starbucks' introduction of pumpkin spice latte in 2003.

SU News

ASBOBNYBJFFRBBRS2INU7YQEGI.jpg

Syracuse Orange center Frank Anselem (5) drives in for the dunk. The Orange played a scrimmage in the Carrier Dome Oct. 22, 2021. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

Allen Griffin on Frank Anselem: ‘The biggest improvement of any player I have ever coached’ (PS; $; Ditota)

Frank Anselem prefers to think about the 2020-21 season as a “development year.”

The Syracuse sophomore center appeared in four games and logged a total of 26 minutes. He caught Covid-19 and needed time to recover before returning to basketball. So after Syracuse’s year ended in the Sweet 16, Anselem was ready to relegate the bizarre, Covid-fractured season to his rearview mirror.

“You can’t take the negatives from it. You gotta take the positives from it,” he said. “The only way is if you put in the work, you’re gonna get better. And Coach Boeheim is saying some positive things. (Laughs.) That’s really good. He comes up to me and says, ‘Frank, I see you working. Keep working.’ It goes a long way.”

Jim Boeheim is not the only Syracuse coach or Syracuse player who has noticed Anselem’s improvement. The early-season buzz about Anselem comes from various Orange corners.

“Frank is one of those guys where the improvement that he’s made from year to year has been the biggest improvement of any player I have ever coached,” said Allen Griffin, his position coach. “It’s like night and day, with Frank having room to grow.”

The 6-foot-10 native of Nigeria has gained about 15 pounds to reach 215 this season. Always considered a remarkable athlete, he is learning, coaches say, how to make that athleticism work for him on the basketball court.

Syracuse Basketball: Jimmy Boeheim in Orange is fun; he’s really good (itlh; Adler)

Ahead of the 2021-22 campaign, which begins sooner rather than later, Syracuse basketball senior shooting guard Buddy Boeheim is understandably getting all kinds of media attention, but his older brother, Jimmy Boeheim, is going to have a terrific season, in my humble opinion.

Jimmy Boeheim, a 6-foot-8 forward, graduated from Cornell and elected to transfer to the Orange to play with his brother and for his dad, head coach Jim Boeheim.

Amid the novel coronavirus pandemic, the Ivy League had canceled its 2020-21 stanza, so Jimmy Boeheim didn’t get to compete a term ago.

Now as a graduate student on the Hill, he’s helped to form a Boeheim family triumvirate in 2021-22, and it should be a wildly entertaining year.
Syracuse basketball forward Jimmy Boeheim will be a key piece this season.

When Orange players held a scrimmage on Friday, the elder Boeheim brother did quite well. According to a cuse.com press release, Jimmy Boeheim netted 20 points.

He connected on multiple 3-point attempts. He’s versatile in the ways that he can score, including from deep, in the mid-range and closer to the basket. Most importantly, at least to me, Boeheim is a confident player, not overshadowed by Buddy, who has garnered a flood of pre-season All-American accolades.

Let’s not forget that in his last stanza with Cornell, Jimmy Boeheim averaged nearly 17 points a game. He grabbed more than 5 boards per contest. His shooting percentage from long range wasn’t great, but he can certainly hit a 3-pointer here and there.

Adrian Autry Discusses Cole Swider, Jesse Edwards, Benny Williams and More (SI; Armetta)

All Syracuse caught up with Syracuse basketball Associate Head Coach Adrian Autry to discuss the upcoming season.

Q: What does Syracuse have to do to win the ACC?

Adrian Autry: "A lot of things have to happen. Obviously health, chemistry, there's so many different factors. You've got to be able to limit people's shot opportunities. I think we've got to be able to make shots and shoot the ball around. Be consistent. Stay together and don't let the highs be too high or the lows be too low. Kind of have that day by day, game by game approach. Those are normally the ingredients that teams that win, or compete for championships, have. Defensively, we have to do a really good job trying to hold teams to a decent amount of points and limit their second chance points. Offensively, we have to make shots and scoring opportunities not only for ourselves but for teammates as well."

Q: Is the coaching staff counting on improvement from centers, including Jesse Edwards?

Autry: "Absolutely. Jesse's a junior this year. Sidibe's a senior. He's been around and has played. Hopefully he can get back healthy. Jesse played for us last year and played a nice part in our run. I think that really helps his confidence and helps him understand how to play and what we expect from him. What I've seen so far, he's definitely improved. He's gotten bigger, he's more confident. He will definitely be a factor for us this year."

Q: What was the pitch to Benny Williams when recruiting him, and what will his role be this year?

Autry: "Our pitch was that if you look at the history of Syracuse forwards, he looks just like those guys. Long, athletic guys that can make plays. Pass, dribble and shoot, be able to show off his athleticism. He's a guy who can do all those things. We're just very excited that he has a good feel for the game. Very talented. Still trying to get the system like most college freshmen trying to figure things out. He's had the luxury of being around a more experienced group. I think that's showed him how you have to work on a daily basis. We have a really good group that's experienced and understands what it takes to compete at this level."

Q: How do you anticipate using Cole Swider?

Autry: "We want to take advantage of his talent, which is three point shooting. I think he has a little more to his game. Certain games, he may have to be able to get down there and score closer to the basket. The main thing is you have to take advantage of someone who shoots the ball like he shoots the ball. You've got to take advantage of that because that's the game. That makes a difference is that three point line. He really shoots it at a high level."

Q: What are some challenges with incorporating so many new players?

Autry: Chemistry. Learning the new system. Being able to work together as a group and understanding how each other works. I think chemistry is always a factor in any good team. How well they gel. With a new group of guys, that becomes even more in the forefront especially at this level. Especially with the way our season is starting off with the schedule that we have. A lot of times you have the chance to build that chemistry. We get right into the fire right off the bat. Our chemistry part and everybody understanding their roles right away is the biggest challenge."

FX2GKAYOAVGQ7EGKAAE5D63ISY.JPG

Glens Falls' Joe Girard III celebrates after defeating Lowville in the New York State Boys basketball Class B Finals at the Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena, Binghamton, NY, Saturday March 16, 2019. Scott Schild

Joe Girard on state’s new NIL rules for high school athletes: ‘It would have been fun’ (PS; Waters)

Last week, New York State became just the second state to adopt legislation that will allow high school athletes to earn money off their own name, image and likeness in a similar manner to the NCAA’s new rules for college athletes.

Syracuse guard Buddy Boeheim has taken advantage of the NCAA’s NIL rules more than most current college athletes, but New York’s decision regarding high school athletes had Boeheim immediately thinking of his partner in Syracuse’s backcourt, Joe Girard.

“A lot. He would’ve made a lot of money,’' Boeheim said of Girard, who became a two-sport legend at Glens Falls High School. “He was probably the biggest high school athlete his junior and senior year and even his freshman and sophomore years. He would’ve definitely set the bar and probably would’ve been the highest-paid high school athlete during this time.’’

New York’s decision came three years too late for Girard, who is entering his junior year at Syracuse.

Looking back, there’s no telling how much Girard could have benefited from his name, image, likeness and the catchy JG3 moniker.

The legend of JG3 began in his first varsity game when he was just an eighth-grader and scored 31 points, including the game-winning 3-pointer.

Girard led Glens Falls to two New York State football championships and one Class B basketball title. Along the way, he broke New York state’s individual scoring record.

“It probably would’ve been pretty crazy,’' Girard said. “It would’ve been fun, not only for me but for my teammates. We have a lot of local restaurants and businesses that have supported the athletic teams with things like sponsoring busses for our championship run. There would have been a lot of opportunities.’’

Boeheimj2.22.21-e1635178593295-1536x864.jpg

(Photo: Syracuse University Athletic Communications)

Syracuse sets sights on upcoming season after addition of another Boeheim - BVM Sports (mvmsports.com; Sartori)

The Syracuse men’s basketball team welcomes another Boeheim, as if two weren’t enough. The Orange head coach added his oldest son to the fold this offseason with the transfer of Jimmy to the Syracuse program.

Jimmy, a former Big Red player, accomplished a lot during his time at Cornell, leading the team in scoring, rebounding and 3-pointers, while ranking him fifth among Ivy League players in points. Jimmy will be joining younger brother Buddy on the court once again.

The two had played together in high school for Jamesville-DeWitt with the duo topping record heights at the high school level. Jimmy had reached the Class A finals with the DeWitt High School, and was selected to join the Class A tournament team. Buddy was named Player of the Year and would also find himself among the tournament team roster. After DeWitt, both boys went to play Division I basketball at their respective schools.

The beginning of the Jim’s sons at the program started during Buddy’s first appearance with the team back in the fall of 2018. The freshman guard started in the season opener for the Orange before making his mark on the team, with numerous career performances already in his career.

The Orange coach has achieved a remarkable run throughout his tenure with the orange, making 34 trips to the NCAA tournament and five Final Four appearances. Jim made his first appearance at Syracuse as a player in 1962. He was a walk-on with the team and by his senior season, became an Orange team captain. The Orange had just won their second NCAA tournament that same year.

Throughout the coach’s long time basketball career, he has collected several accolades, from being named 2001 USA basketball National Coach of the Year to serving as an assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic teams, assisting in three gold medals and two world cups.

Aside from his basketball fame, Coach Boeheim is also known for his charity work with him and his wife, Juli, starting a foundation together to help out local kids in need. They have helped out in Coaches vs. Cancer, Crouse Hospital’s Kienzle Family Maternity Center, the Children’s Medical Network, the Eldercare Foundation, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and several more.

The upcoming season is looking strong with the new additions to the team, including son Jimmy. The ACC just announced its full 2021-22 basketball schedule for the Orange, with their first appearance against Pace University on Oct. 27th.

The team looks to follow up on a surprising NCAA tournament run that saw the team advance to the Sweet 16 before being knocked out by Houston. They hope their new dynamic duo can be a difference maker in 2021.

Syracuse Basketball: Two Orange centers ‘light-years away’ from last year (itlh; Adler)

Despite struggles at the center position in recent years, I am optimistic that the Syracuse basketball centers will prove much better during the 2021-22 campaign.

The Orange has four centers on its roster. Graduate student Bourama Sidibe, who was injured for much of the previous stanza, junior Jesse Edwards, sophomore Frank Anselem and redshirt sophomore John Bol Ajak.

I get the sense that Edwards will receive the starting nod, but what’s interesting to me is whether the veteran Sidibe, or the athletic Anselem, who has tremendous upside, will serve as the primary back-up.

@the2kfranky pic.twitter.com/POaNiFatAv
— Syracuse Men’s Basketball (@Cuse_MBB) October 23, 2021

According to various media reports that I’ve read of late, Syracuse basketball coaches do anticipate their centers being improved in 2021-22.

Head coach Jim Boeheim was not shy in numerous press conferences a term ago when he said that his young centers, in particular, just weren’t ready to produce a lot. I’m hopeful this isn’t the case as the upcoming campaign is nearly here.

Syracuse basketball will have solid contributions at the center spot this year.

Last Friday, at the Orange’s annual media day, Boeheim heaped some praise on his centers, saying they’re improved, adding strength and should contribute in 2021-22.

Per a tweet from Donna Ditota of Syracuse.com, quoting Boeheim, Edwards and Anselem “are light-years away from where they were last year.” That is unbelievably great to hear.

Jim Boeheim: the biggest difference is the big guys. Jesse and Frank are light-years away from where they were last year.
— Donna Ditota (@DonnaDitota1) October 22, 2021

Other

MMUGSJXJ6VH6FKXKKZ6SW3HZP4.jpg

The crew from Across the Hall Cafe in downtown Syracuse: (left to right) Amy Terotta, Kymberlee Terotta, Joe Terotta, Jacob Cordero and Kyle Terotta. Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com

First Look: New cafe next door to Syracuse City Hall brings healthy portions, fresh food to go (PS; Miller)

Opening a diner has always been a dream for Joe Terotta. He’s worked at a dozen or so restaurants for the past 28 years, but there’s just something about serving good comfort food to a loyal group of customers.

He thought the dream was going to come true last month when he saw a “For Lease” sign on the former Miss Syracuse Diner next to City Hall downtown, just a mile away from where he grew up on Hawley Avenue. It would be an easy transition, he thought.

“Then I realized how much Covid has changed the way we go about our lives, how we work, and how we eat,” Joe said on Friday. “So I took my original idea, updated a few things, and here we are. This is it.”

Joe signed a lease on Sept. 14, got the keys and started cleaning the old diner that afternoon with the hopes of opening a new restaurant within a month.

Across the Hall Café served its first meal last Monday. Joe, his wife and two kids and a family friend cook breakfast and lunch each day, using fresh ingredients from small local distributors and stores.

The classic diner car building has seating for up to 19 customers, but the restaurant is designed to be mainly takeout.

The menu is fairly simple: four breakfast sandwiches, six lunchtime sandwiches, three burgers and four salads. He also offers daily specials, usually an entrée, burger, sandwich and soup. He’s been filling his notebook with his recipes throughout his career.