Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
vote-election-day_0.jpg
Welcome
to Election Day!

In the United States, Election Day is the annual day set by law for the general elections of federal public officials. It is statutorily set by the Federal Government as "the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November"[1] equaling the Tuesday occurring within November 2 to November 8.

SU News

Z2TD4PYP4RFDBCZIU5JXHODWEE.jpg

Syracuse Orange guard Symir Torrence (10) defends against Le Moyne’s Zy”ever Winffield. The Syracuse Orange takes on the Le Moyne Dolphins in an exhibition game at the Carrier Dome Nov. 1, 2021. Dennis Nett | dnett@syracuse.com

After first-game jitters, SU's Symir Torrence got aggressive: ‘I felt way more comfortable’ (PS; $; Waters)

After Syracuse’s exhibition win over Pace last Wednesday, Symir Torrence spent some time watching the game film with some of the Syracuse assistant coaches.

He didn’t like what he saw.

In his first game at the Carrier Dome after transferring from Marquette, the Syracuse native had played tentatively.

The 6-foot-3 point guard had spent too much time dribbling the ball. He didn’t attack. He made himself easy to guard.

“The last game, I had the jitters,’’ Torrence admitted following SU’s second exhibition against Le Moyne on Monday. “First time in the Dome as a hometown kid. I didn’t really play to my potential.’’

The film session helped Torrence understand what he had done; or not done.

Some words from SU coach Jim Boeheim provided the, say we say, motivation not to do it again.

“Coach Boeheim harped on me that I had a couple opportunities where I should’ve gone to the basket,’' Torrence said. “I needed to recognize it. That’s what got me to go to the hole today.’’

Torrence didn’t do anything extraordinary in Syracuse’s 90-50 thumping of its D-II neighbor on Monday, but he did display more aggressiveness with the ball, which is exactly what Boeheim and the other SU assistants want to see him from this season.

“I felt way more comfortable,’’ Torrence said. “Tonight I was just looking forward to going out there and playing like I’ve been in practice. All the coaches have been telling me I’m doing a good job in practice of getting downhill and getting to my spots and spreading out the shooters. That’s what I focused on this game.’’

Five Takeaways: Syracuse Wraps Up Exhibition Play With Win Over LeMoyne (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse dominated LeMoyne 90-50 on Monday in its final exhibition game. With the regular season starting on November 9th, what can we take away from the Orange's win?

1. Cole Swider's Versatile Offensive Game

We all knew Cole Swider could really shoot the basketball. What I have been most impressed with is his other offensive skills. Swider is better off the bounce than I anticipated, is a capable and willing passer (five assists against LeMoyne) and can finish at the rim. Those are very encouraging signs for the upcoming season. If that keeps up, he could end up challenging Buddy Boeheim for the team scoring title.

2. That is the Joe Girard Syracuse Needs

Girard was fantastic against LeMoyne. He scored 20 points, made three three pointers and dished out nine assists with only two turnovers. The 20 points was not the impressive part of his performance. He can shoot, he will have high scoring games this season. It is the nine assists. Girard found open teammates, got into the lane and made good decisions with the basketball. If he can play like that, as a pure point guard, it will be huge for Syracuse this season. He looks like a completely different player than last season.

3. Jesse Edwards Could be in for Big Season

It was only 20 minutes, but Edwards' eight points, six rebounds and three blocks were encouraging. He has played well in both exhibition games. A big season for Edwards is not expecting 15 points and 12 rebounds per game or anything. But a presence in the middle who can score a little here and there would be such a valuable asset. Somewhere in the six to eight point range, with six to eight rebounds and a couple of blocks per game would make an enormous difference. Especially rim protection defensively. Edwards is moving well, seems more confident, has significantly improved hands and has cut down on the silly fouls. Good signs.

Syracuse Basketball: Analyst predicts 5-star target to this recruiting power (itlh; Adler)

Elite 2023 prospect Kwame Evans Jr. has a long list of suitors at this stage in his recruitment, including Syracuse basketball, and one national analyst has logged a prediction regarding his future collegiate destination.

At the time of this writing, national recruiting analyst Russ Wood had projected on that he thinks the 6-foot-9 Evans will ultimately choose Oregon out of the Pac-12 Conference.

Now, given that Evans is just getting started with his junior year of prep-school ball, his recruiting process could have a long way to go. Many more high-major offers could arrive for him.

That being said, I could absolutely see Oregon landing the 2023 five-star forward. The Ducks, in recent years, have done quite well in the Pac-12, as well as the NCAA Tournament.

A stanza ago, Oregon went on a run to the Sweet 16. In 2017, the Ducks reached the Final Four. Additionally, head coach Dana Altman and his assistants have done a fabulous job of late on the recruiting trail.

Syracuse basketball is in a recruiting battle for five-star Kwame Evans Jr.

Two recent examples of Oregon’s prowess in recruiting certainly have ties to the ‘Cuse. For one, former Syracuse basketball 2022 commit Dior Johnson, a five-star point guard, picked the Ducks earlier this year.

Secondly, former Orange forward Quincy Guerrier transferred to Oregon this past off-season after his sophomore stint on the Hill. The talented junior selected the Ducks over three other finalists in Arizona State, Illinois and Memphis.

Instant Juice: Syracuse 90, Le Moyne 50 - The Juice Online (the juice; Stechschulte)

Syracuse whacked LeMoyne in their second and final exhibition game, 90-50. Does it mean anything? On the whole, not much, but there are some meaningful takeaways.

• Seeing Cole Swider play, you understand why he’s walking right into the starting lineup. Swider shot 15-for-22 in the two exhibition games, including 10-of-15 from long range. He’s simply a dimension that almost no other teams have, especially when teamed up with Buddy Boeheim, Jimmy Boeheim, and Joe Girard III on the floor.
  • Swider made jaws drop with two threes around a lay-up in the opening 3:20 of the second half, but Girard set him up on all three scores. Girard handed out nine assists in the game against two turnovers to go with a game-high 20 points. The junior guard’s career high for assists in a game is eight, so this surrounding group of talent may help Girard’s point guard skills develop.
  • In addition to all the dimes, there was one more noteworthy number in Girard’s stat line: six free throw attempts. Girard had that many attempts just once last season as he went from over three foul shots a game as a freshman to under two last season. If he continues being aggressive in picking his spots, those are free points.
  • SU had 21 assists on 33 field goals after logging 26 helpers on 30 field goals against Pace. While Jim Boeheim cited in the postgame presser that Buddy Boeheim needs to be more aggressive looking to score, having a roster of players building the habit of looking for the next pass is a nice plus.
  • Watching Jesse Edwards and Frank Anselem double-clutch going up when they have significant physical advantages over LeMoyne players underscores the continuing need for those two players to add strength. That aspect of their games probably will not get much better this season.

Dan Tortora with Syracuse Orange true freshman F Benny Williams embarking on 2021-22 Season (wakeupcall.podbean.com; radio; Tortora)

Dan Tortora with Syracuse Orange true freshman F Benny Williams embarking on 2021-22 Season

ACC predictions: How big will Duke win in Coach K's farewell tour? (ESPN; Staff)

As the countdown continues to the start of the 2021-22 college basketball season on Nov. 9, an ESPN panel of experts is making predictions for all of the nation's top leagues. So far we've taken a look at Gonzaga and the best teams from the mid-major conferences (Atlantic 10, C-USA, Ivy, MAC, Missouri Valley, Mountain West, SoCon, Sun Belt and WCC), followed by Memphis, Houston and the AAC, the Villanova-dominated Big East, UCLA and the resurgent Pac-12 Conference, a Big 12 with a second straight national title in its sights and an SEC led by intriguing Kentucky. Our series continues with the always fascinating ACC.

The Duke Blue Devils are destined to endure as one of college basketball's top stories in 2021-22 thanks to the imminent retirement of Mike Krzyzewski, but Coach K's victory lap is far from the only story in the game -- or in the ACC. Freshman phenom Paolo Banchero leads a star-studded class intent on delivering some hardware after the program's rare NCAA tournament-less performance last season. Challenging Duke at the top of the league are expected to be a North Carolina Tar Heels squad which begins the Hubert Davis era; the Florida State Seminoles, who are always tough under Leonard Hamilton; and a Virginia Cavaliers team that enters the season somewhat unsung but likely to be dangerous. Beyond those groups, Syracuse, Georgia Tech and Clemson units that all reached the NCAA tournament a season ago are unlikely to go quietly.

ESPN's writing team of Myron Medcalf, Jeff Borzello, John Gasaway and Joe Lunardi sized up all the top teams and storylines in the league and made their predictions for the 15-team conference.

Jump to: Superlatives | Roundtable | Picks

ACC 2021-22 superlatives

Player of the Year

Medcalf:
Paolo Banchero, Duke
Borzello: Paolo Banchero, Duke
Gasaway: Paolo Banchero, Duke
Lunardi: Paolo Banchero, Duke

Newcomer of the Year

Medcalf:
Paolo Banchero, Duke
Borzello: Paolo Banchero, Duke
Gasaway: Paolo Banchero, Duke
Lunardi: Paolo Banchero, Duke

ACC 2021-22 writer roundtable

What is the most intriguing thing to you about the 2021-22 Duke Blue Devils that has nothing to do with Mike Krzyzewski's impending retirement?

i

Paolo Banchero (5) and Trevor Keels (1) are two of the talented new faces for the Blue Devils in 2021-22. Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports

Medcalf: Over the past 20 years, college basketball has had a handful of guys who could just do things that no other player in the country could do. Emeka Okafor, Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Anthony Davis, Trae Young and Zion Williamson ... maybe I'm missing a few. But the point is: The buzz around Paolo Banchero right now suggests he can be one of those guys, too. And maybe that's the difference this season -- that despite the talent pools at Kansas and Gonzaga or the depth at Texas, that none of it will matter this season because Duke has Paolo and you don't.

Other

800px-Thornden-Park-map-2018.jpg

Agreement with city would allow SU to repair Thornden, Walnut Parks (DO; Perrins)

An agreement between the city of Syracuse and Syracuse University would permit the university to maintain and improve Walnut and Thornden parks subject to approval by the city’s Commissioner of Parks.

Sondra Roth, a member of the Thornden Park Association’s Board of Directors, said in an email obtained by The Daily Orange that TPA strongly advocated for the removal of Thornden Park from the agreement at the subcommittee meeting on Oct. 21, mainly citing issues with the language used to describe what the university’s role would be with the park.

SU City Services Agreement 2021 by The Daily Orange on Scribd

The agreement, which was presented to the Common Council by Mayor Ben Walsh’s office on Oct. 6, did not move forward from the finances, taxes and assessment subcommittee to the Common Council because of pushback from the TPA.

While TPA expressed support for SU’s assistance with the park, TPA found the inclusion of public parks in the service agreement to be unnecessary and asked the city and SU to create a separate agreement for that purpose.

Kate Auwaerter, TPA’s vice president, said in the email obtained by The D.O. that the descriptions of actions for which SU would be responsible were too general. She asked SU and the city’s parks department to develop more specific scopes of work for areas frequently used by students and members of the Syracuse community.

The commissioner of parks was given a period of five days to review proposed maintenance and improvements by the agreement, but Auwaerter said in the email such a period was an “entirely insufficient” amount of time.

In the agreement, SU would also promise to maintain some sidewalks on Ostrom Avenue and near Thornden Park, and the city would agree to install new crosswalks on Ostrom Avenue. But Auwaerter said TPA would not recommend introducing more crosswalks into the park.

Auwaerter also said the part of the agreement that gives SU students, faculty and staff access to Thornden Park is unnecessary and appears to give SU preferential treatment. The park is public and therefore already open to anybody in the Syracuse community, she said.

Common Council addressed a resolution to extend the agreement during their meeting on Oct. 12, but it held the decision for a future meeting.