Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
800px-thumbnail.jpg
Welcome to USMC Birthday!

On November 10, 1775, just eight months shy of the Declaration of Independence, a new corps was formed following the introduction of the Continental Marine Act. At the time, an official plan was developed by the Continental Congress to oversee a mission intercepting ammunition cargo from Britain, using Marines. As suggested by the title, the group was known as the Continental Marines. While this group held several different duties, their core purpose was to provide additional security and support for the recently formed Continental Navy. First led by Commandant Samuel Nicholas, this branch of the burgeoning U.S. armed forces would culminate at just over 2,100 servicemen. In contrast, the number of active troops in the Continental Army at one time would reach a peak of approximately 80,000. This, along with a resolution made in November to create a stand-in official Marine Corps force, was essential to the formation and modernization of the now U.S Marine Corps. The reason for this resolution – the planning of an attack on Nova Scotia to annex it, never took place. However, the Marines remained.

SU News

Joe Girard III paces SU with 20 points in season-opening win over Lafayette (DO; Fernandez)

Before the season, head coach Jim Boeheim criticized former Syracuse point guard Kadary Richmond, who transferred to Seton Hall after the 2020-21 season. Richmond would’ve played about 25 minutes per game had he returned to SU this year, Boeheim said, but the head coach added that Joe Girard III was the stronger option.

“(Richmond) didn’t work hard last year and really was not in the condition … he played 21 minutes a game, and that was about all he could play,” Boeheim said on Oct. 22. “I just think Joe was more consistent — obviously a better shooter, just a more consistent player.”

Boeheim’s been an adamant supporter of his starting point guard and said after the Pace exhibition game on Oct. 27 that Girard has been good for two years, “contrary to what everyone’s opinion out there is that thinks they know about basketball and don’t.”

Tuesday against Lafayette, a Patriot League team, Girard showed the first flashes of a confident, true point guard capable of leading the Orange. Time will tell whether he can keep that up against higher-level competition, or whether it’ll last into conference play, into the new year, and into February and March. But in SU’s season-opener, Girard finished a perfect 5-of-5 from beyond the arc, leading the Orange in points (20) and assists (seven) in 25 minutes on the floor.

Girard didn’t play point guard at Glens Falls High School, meaning he’s still learning the position and working on making that adjustment to his role as a facilitator at SU, Boeheim said. Girard is coming off an up-and-down season last year, one that he said he thinks about occasionally in the context of both “prov(ing) a lot of people wrong” and “proving it to myself.” Tuesday, though against lower-level competition, Girard showed he’s capable of being SU’s leader on the floor.

https://www.kansas.com/news/article255690051.html (kansas.com; AP)

Jim Boeheim was a very happy father after the first game of his 46th year as head coach at Syracuse.

Sons Jimmy and Buddy each scored 18 points on Tuesday night, leading the Orange past Lafayette 97-63. It was Jimmy's debut after transferring from Cornell, where he played for three years before last season was lost when the Ivy League canceled because of COVID-19.

“He had a real good night tonight,” coach Boeheim said of his oldest son. “I'm really happy for him.”

Joe Girard led Syracuse with 20 points, making all five of his 3-point attempts. Cole Swider, a transfer from Villanova, debuted with a double-double with 12 rebounds to go with 14 points.

It didn't take long for Jimmy to feel at home in the Carrier Dome playing alongside Buddy for the first time since high school. Jimmy had the first four baskets for Syracuse before Buddy, in his 90th game with the Orange and their leading scorer last season, added a 3-pointer for an 11-4 lead.

“It's really special,” Jimmy said. “Every day is a blessing being out there with family and extended family. This whole team, I think we're a family in our own way. You couldn't ask for anything more. I just feel really blessed.”

Midway through the first half Syracuse led 25-4 with the Boeheims combining for 19 points. “When you’re the new kid on the block, you want to prove yourself,” mom Juli said. “I was so overjoyed the way the game started. For me, it is surreal, off the charts."

The Boeheim brothers teamed for 28 points by halftime when Syracuse led 52-30.

“Just trying to be confident out there and let the game come to me, just playing the game I love,” Jimmy said. “It felt great. I just had a lot of fun out there. It was my first game in over 600 days, so I'm sure you could tell I was itching to get back out there. This is what I've been itching for for about two years now."

The Orange shot over 50% in each half and finished at 50% from the arc (13 of 26) while Jim Boeheim’s vaunted 2-3 zone defense held the Leopards, who had four of five starters returning, to 34%.

Kyle Jenkins and Leo O’Boyle had 14 points each for Lafayette, which made 12 of 41 3-point attempts. It was the ninth meeting between the teams and first since the mid-1990s, and the Orange have won them all.

Jimmy Boeheim made his official Syracuse basketball debut. It went quite well. (PS; $; Axe)

Since Jimmy Boeheim officially committed to Syracuse last spring, he’s approached the days leading up to his first official game in an Orange uniform with a series of mental checkmarks.

First workout, check.

First official practice, check.

First practice in the Carrier Dome, check.

Orange and white scrimmage, check.

Exhibition games, check.

So when the calendar flipped to November 9, Boeheim believed he’d be ready for the inevitable next checkworthy moment:

First official game.

“I didn’t really think I was going to feel it, but I did,” he said. “Woke up at 8, couldn’t go back to sleep and was ready to go, amped up. So yeah, it’s been over 600 days, so this is what I’ve been itching for for about two years now. I was ready to go for sure.”

That edgy anticipation was evident from the opening tip on opening night.

Jimmy Boeheim, the Cornell transfer better known as the eldest of the Boeheim brothers, scored eight straight points to begin the 2021-22 Syracuse season. He drove right. He converted a drive on the left side. He finished a pass from Joe Girard in transition. Then, he rebounded a Cole Swider miss and put it back in.

Syracuse led 8-4 then in a game it would dominate 97-63 against Patriot League member Lafayette.

boeheim-lafayette2-678x381.jpg

4 takeaways from Syracuse basketball's 97-63 win over Lafayette - The Juice Online (the juice; Gustin)

Syracuse defeated Lafayette in its 2021-22 season opener at the Carrier Dome on Tuesday night. Here are the key takeaways from the game:

#1: Jimmy Boeheim has already made the adjustment

It had been over 600 days since Jimmy Boeheim last played in a college basketball game.

He wasn’t able to play as a senior at Cornell when the Ivy League canceled the 2020-21 season because of the COVID pandemic, meaning that the last time he played in an official game was March 7, 2020 (an 85-82 win over Princeton).

Jimmy didn’t show any rust, scoring the first 8 points for Syracuse. He finished with 18 points on 8-9 shooting, and added five rebounds in 25 minutes.

I’m sure you could tell I was itching to get back out there,” Jimmy said. “I just tried to have fun out there.”

#2: Swider struggles early, finishes strong

It was a forgettable first half for Cole Swider in his Orange debut.

He showed some opening night jitters, shooting just 1-6 in the first half and 1-5 from downtown. But he turned it on in the second, shooting 5-8 from the field to finish with 14 points to go with a game-high 12 rebounds.

Four of those five makes were inside the arc, something of a rarity in Swider’s college career. In three years at Villanova, Swider only averaged around two shots a game in 2-point territory.

The 12 rebounds were also a positive sign for a player who never averaged more than 2.9 rebounds in any of his first three seasons.

“He is a good player,” Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim said. “Shooters do not make everything. He kept plugging away, and he got some post plays. Thats what you do when you are not making shots.”

#3: It was Girard’s night

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article255694686.html (charlotteobserver.com; AP; Kurz Jr)

John Carter Jr. scored 19 points, Sean Yoder added 15 and Navy got its first win over a ranked team since the David Robinson era, stunning No. 25 Virginia 66-58 in the season opener for both teams on Tuesday night.

The Midshipmen beat a team ranked in The Associated Press Top 25 — where Virginia's stay will be brief — for the first time since Robinson led them past Syracuse 97-85 on March 16, 1986.

Facing one of college basketball's top programs over the past decade, Navy was the better team in every respect. The Midshipmen outshot Virginia 45.3% to 41.2%, outrebounded the Cavaliers 35-30, got 10 second-chance points to the Cavaliers' six and had 15 bench points to Virginia's six.

“I just try to concentrate on who we are in our three things: defend, rebound, take care of the ball. And if we win two of the three of those things, we got a chance to win the game,” Navy coach Ed DeChellis said.

East Carolina transfer Jayden Gardner led Virginia with 18 points and 10 rebounds, but after the Cavaliers tied the game at 55-all with 8:53 left, they didn't score again for more than 8 1/2 minutes. Another transfer, Armaan Franklin, made a 3-pointer with 15 seconds left.

Yoder, meanwhile, scored twice inside and Daniel Deaver had a putback while Virginia went cold, making one of its last 10 shots.

Cavaliers coach Tony Bennett was more concerned with the defensive breakdowns.

“They shot lights out and sometimes we were there, sometimes we weren’t,” he said. “And then any time we broke down, they kind of took advantage.”

Franklin's 3-pointer was his second field goal. The Indiana transfer, coveted for his outside shooting, missed nine of 11 shots and six of seven 3s in his Cavaliers debut.

Carter scored 16 of his points in the first 13 minutes as Navy blistered the Cavaliers from long range, making eight of its first 10 3-point tries. The Mids made two of their next 10 before Carter connected for his fifth with 24 seconds to play. That gave Navy a 64-55 lead and sent fans filing for the exits.

618b5358e1e17.image.jpg

https://www.gettysburgtimes.com/sports/national/image_5b781a98-2381-59d9-9b75-5c0a17611f22.html (gettysburgtimes.com; Franklin II)

Mike Krzyzewski's farewell tour started with a win thanks to his latest group of stellar freshmen at Duke.

Trevor Keels scored 25 points and classmate Paolo Banchero added 22 to help the No. 9 Blue Devils open their coach's final season by beating 10th-ranked Kentucky 79-71 on Tuesday night in the nightcap of the Champions Classic.

“It was an amazing game that felt so good with the Garden crowd and playing against an outstanding team,” Krzyzewski said. “They are tough. and we are tough. That was a big-time game. Really big time.”

Krzyzewski announced that he would retire at the end of the season. The Hall of Famer has won 1,098 games and five national championships in his 42 years coaching the Blue Devils. Overall he has 1,171 wins, the most in the history of the sport.

“We wanted to get this win for Coach in this first game,” Banchero said. “We had a chance to make a statement with this game and come out and play well. That’s what we were thinking about coming in.”

The two basketball blue bloods, who have quite the history between them on the game's biggest stage, put on a spectacular show to open the season. The loud split crowd at Madison Square Garden that included many members of the New York Knicks and Bruce Springsteen was on its feet for most of the second half.

Duke, which led by four at the half, built the advantage to 15 with just under 10 minutes left behind Keels. The Wildcats wouldn't go away, scoring the next 11 points to get within 69-65 on a three-point play by Oscar Tshiebwe with 6:07 left.

That's as close as Kentucky could get.

“We got it to four and then we’ll watch the tape," Kentucky coach John Calipari said. “Two shots blocked. All I said all week is if you drive, don’t get it blocked.”

Keels scored on the Blue Devils' next possession and Banchero followed with a three-point play after a huge block by Mark Williams to start a 7-0 run.

Kentucky only got within eight the rest of the way.

“We're never going to back down from a fight, we'll always play to the end,” said Kentucky's Jacob Toppin.

Tshiebwe finished with 17 points and 19 rebounds. Sahvir Wheeler added 16 points and 10 assists for the Wildcats.

https://balldurham.com/2021/11/10/duke-basketball-defeats-two-opponents/ (balldurham.com; Connelly)

As if playing the No. 10 Kentucky Wildcats (0-1) in the Champions Classic at Madison Square Garden in the regular season opener was not difficult enough for the Duke basketball team, the Blue Devils (1-0) had to take down another opponent as well.

In the midst of No. 9 Duke’s 79-71 win over Kentucky, the Blue Devils had a handful players exit the game at some point due to cramping, most notably Paolo Banchero and Wendell Moore.

Both players were able to return to the game, but Banchero had to be taken to the locker room for extra treatment in the second half.

Nonetheless, Duke toppled all that was in its way on Tuesday night at The World’s Most Famous Arena.

Banchero and Trevor Keels introduced themselves as one of the best duos in the country, combining for 47 points in the victory.

Keels led the way on both ends of the floor with 25 points on 10-of-18 shooting and was too strong and physical on the offensive end for the Wildcats to stop.

The Virginia native was also a stalwart on defense, limiting TyTy Washington to just nine points on 3-of-14 shooting.

Paolo Banchero had the worst of the cramping issues for the Blue Devils but nothing could slow him down as he posted 22 points and seven rebounds in 31 minutes on 7-of-11 shooting.

Moore played one of his best games in his Duke career with 12 points, four rebounds, and three assists on 6-of-10 shooting.

Duke basketball makes light of cramping issues following victory

Everything becomes a little bit funnier when you win the basketball game and the Blue Devils poked fun at their hydration issues late Tuesday night following its victory on Twitter.

On the bus to airport eating NY pizza and hydrating
— Duke Men’s Basketball (@DukeMBB) November 10, 2021

Perhaps the trio of Banchero, Keels, and Moore were given an extra bottle of water instead of an extra slice of pizza on the flight back from New York to Durham so the Blue Devils do not run into this same problem with two games in two days this weekend.

https://bigredlouie.com/2021/11/10/louisville-basketball-tips-off-victory-2021/ (BRL; Jones)

The anticipation was palpable inside the KFC Yum Center last night as fans awaited the tip of the Louisville basketball opening night against Southern University. This was a game that most fans expected the Cards to win, however the Jaguars did try to put up a slight tussle.

The Cards started the season without head coach Chris Mack, who is currently serving a six game suspension handed down by the University and the governing powers of the NCAA. This probably contributed to a first half dog fight against the SWAC affiliated opponent.

Florida transfer Noah Locke demonstrated why he will be a key piece for the team throughout the year. The Baltimore native poured in 16 points on 5-13 shooting as the Cards leading scorer for the evening. Louisville gave up a few timely buckets heading into the half. With under a minute to go, Southern University’s Brion Whitley had the hot hand when he hit a 3-pointer that shaved the Cards to just 33-31.

Louisville basketball takes control of the game late

At this juncture, Louisville fans may have been sweating like hot chops on a grill, but the team rallied together and found a way to not disappoint the home crowd on opening night. The rebounding edge in any game is key, especially when the contest is tight throughout. Louisville outrebounded Southern 54 to 40 for the game. Fans can thank Malik Williams and Samuell Williamson for cleaning the glass all night. Let’s call those two “The Windshield Wipers”! The second half saw Southern take the lead early, but once the Cards grabbed it back, they never relinquished it again.

https://accfootballrx.blogspot.com/2021/11/mbb-results-for-2021-11-09.html (RX; HM)

MBB Results for 2021-11-09​

Here are your ACC Men's Basketball scores for opening night...

#10 Kentucky 71
#9 Duke 79 W
State Farm Champions Classic
NEW YORK, NY

The Citadel 78
Pittsburgh 63 L
PITTSBURGH, PA

Lafayette 63
Syracuse 97 W
SYRACUSE, NY

Loyola-Md 67
#19 N Carolina 83 W
CHAPEL HILL, NC

Presbyterian 53
Clemson 64 W
CLEMSON, SC

Canisius 67
Miami (FL) 77 W
CORAL GABLES, FL

Miami (OH) 72
Ga Tech 69 L
ATLANTA, GA

Bucknell 70
NC State 88 W
RALEIGH, NC

Dartmouth 57
Boston College 73 W
CHESTNUT HILL, MA

Maine 47
Va Tech 82 W
BLACKSBURG, VA

Navy 66
#25 Virginia 58 L
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA

Southern U 60
Louisville 72 W
LOUISVILLE, KY

COMMENTS:​

Good win for Duke over Kentucky - the Coach K Farewell Tour is off to a great start!
Bad-looking losses for Pitt, GT, and UVa. Not a good way to start for these teams...

Other

burger0-7cd9ee615056a34_57a0c273-e356-6a5d-3328dc2dd3ee8522.jpg

https://www.syracuse.com/food/2021/...-of-the-best-burgers-in-any-college-town.html (PS; Miller)

Stop the presses! ESPN college basketball broadcaster Jay Bilas finally found something about Syracuse he likes.

But it’s not our basketball team.

Bilas, who’s been the target of Syracuse University fans’ ire for years for his perceived anti-Orange bias, this morning published “Every list and ranking you need for the 2021-22 college basketball season” on ESPN+.

The Bilastrator’s 17 lists include:

• Top National Championship Favorites: No Syracuse mention, but he does have Duke in his top 7.
  • Next Wave of Contenders: Still no Syracuse. But North Carolina rounds out the next 6.
  • Top Women’s College Basketball Teams: Oh, what a surprise. UConn comes in at No. 1. No Orange here either or on his projected All-America team.
You’ll finally find Syracuse getting Bilas laudits when it comes to the 2021-22 Bilastrator’s Best College Town Burgers.

“On the road, I eat burgers, dammit. And, I know my $#!+,” the Duke graduate wrote. “I eat burgers on the road, and these are the best burgers out there.”

Ale ‘n Angus, located 1.1 miles away from the Carrier Dome at 238 Harrison St., was listed at No. 9. This is just one of many honors tossed upon Ale ‘n Angus. It recently won the New York Beef Council’s “Best NY Burger” contest three times in four years.

It’s hard to tell if Bilas’ rankings are in any specific order. Citizen Burger in Charlottesville, Virginia, topped his list. And for all you conspiracy theorists out there, Burger Bach in Duke’s hometown of Durham, North Carolina, is fourth.

Randy Beach, the owner of Ale ‘n Angus, was just happy to be among Bilas’ top choices.

“Our phone started blowing up early this morning,” Beach said this afternoon. “A friend called and said, ‘You might want to get on your computer and take a look at this.’ From then on, we’ve been hearing from people all over the country.”

Bilas did toss the Orange a couple bones. He projected Buddy Boeheim would make third-team All-American, and he ranked Buddy as a top perimeter shooter in the country.

He also ranked our Dome No. 11 among the best basketball environments. “Crazy big, crazy loud, and surprisingly good views,” he said.

Duke is second on that list.