Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to First Contact Day!

On April 5, 2063, the first contact between humans and aliens took place, when the Vulcan ship T'Plana-Hath landed in Bozeman, Montana. It had been tracking the warp signature of the Phoenix, the first human ship to reach warp drive speeds—a speed created by its pilot, Dr. Zefram Cochrane. A Vulcan disembarked from the T'Plana-Hath and greeted Dr. Cochrane with a split-fingered Vulcan salute and the words, "Live long and prosper." This meeting set the groundwork for the United Federation of Planets to eventually be created. The meeting was documented in the film Star Trek: First Contact, which was released in 1996. Since the release of the film, Star Trek fans—known as Trekkies (or Trekkers)—have embraced the day. April 5 was the day of first contact because one of the screenwriters of Star Trek: First Contact, Ronald D. Moore, made it the same day as his oldest son's birthday.

SU News

7VF7YCMBJ5CKTKUHFVILY2HMMU.jpg

Carmelo Anthony at his home in Rye, New York, after sitting down for an interview for the syracuse.com documentary film "Will to Win." N. Scott Trimble | strimble@syracuse.com

Melo’s car and a touching moment with Pearl: The 5 best stories that didn’t make ‘Will to Win’ (PS; Waters)

The “Will to Win” documentary marking the 20th anniversary of Syracuse’s 2003 NCAA men’s basketball championship runs 117 minutes long.

It could have been twice as long.

The film took hours and hours of interviews and molded never-before-told stories into a revealing look at the backstory of Syracuse’s championship run.

Unavoidably, though, many stories had to be cut from the film. Here are five of the best stories that didn’t make the final cut of the documentary.

A snowstorm and a hotel room in Scranton

At the beginning of the 2002-03 academic year, the Syracuse coaches and assistant coach Troy Weaver in particular did not want Carmelo Anthony to have a car on campus.

The coaches wanted the high-profile freshman to learn to rely on his teammates. The coaches thought it would be good for Anthony to lean on his teammates for rides to class and practice.

“Weave was just like, ‘Don’t bring that car up here,’ ” Anthony said. “ ‘Don’t bring that car up here.’ ”

After Syracuse’s game against Georgia Tech on Dec. 21, 2002, the players were able to go home for a few days. Anthony went home to Baltimore with the intention of driving his green Chrysler Concorde back to Syracuse.

On the day that Anthony planned to drive back to campus, Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim had scheduled a practice at 7 p.m. Halfway through the trip, Anthony encountered a snowstorm in Scranton, Pennsylvania.

“I’m stuck in Scranton on the highway,’’ he said. “The green Chrysler Concorde’s tires are bald. It was a disaster. It was snowing so hard and so bad that you couldn’t see cars in front of you.’’

Anthony followed a snow plow off the highway and into a hotel’s parking lot.

“I get to the hotel and I have no money,’’ Anthony said. “I have my permit and I had my school ID.’’

Anthony pleaded with the clerk at the front desk to let him stay for the night. The clerk said Anthony had to pay for the room.

“Please let me just stay on the couch,’’ Anthony begged.

Then Anthony spotted a copy of the USA Today newspaper at the desk. On the front page was a photo of Syracuse’s star freshman.

“I’m like, listen, that’s me,’’ Anthony said. “I’ll pay you back; just let me get a room. Please.’’

“That’s you?’’ the clerk asked.

“Yeah,’’ Anthony said. “Here’s my ID.’’

“You can stay here,’’ the clerk said, “but soon as the sun rises, you gotta get out.’’

Anthony, who had already missed Syracuse’s practice, knew he’d be up before the sun in order to get back to campus as quickly as possible.

“I drove back to Syracuse and I got cursed out by Boeheim,’’ Anthony said with a laugh. “You shouldn’t have brought the car here.’’

The DMV is the New NYC (orangefizz.net; Simone)

For decades, Syracuse basketball was locked into New York City as the epicenter of its recruiting pitch. From Pearl Washington, to Adrian Autry, to Etan Thomas, to plenty of other players from New York City who helped build Syracuse basketball into a national power.

Jim Boeheim’s love affair with NYC was always obvious given the recruiting connections he had, the Big East Tournament and the large alumni base SU has down state. However, Syracuse’s pipeline has moved south to the DMV in recent years, and that seems to be solidified with the hire of Brenden Straughn.

Straughn is the fourth member of Syracuse’s coaching staff, essentially replacing Boeheim as Autry, Gerry McNamara and Allen Griffin moved up one seat on the bench. Starughn was most recently an assistant at George Washington-the school Autry’s son is set to play for. Straughn was Trey Autry’s lead recruiter, so there’s obviously a personal connection between the two. Before that, however, he coached Team Takeover, an elite AAU team based out of the DMV.

This isn’t new information, it just confirms that the trend SU has seen will continue. As an assistant, Autry specialized as a recruiter in the DMV, convincing both Benny Williams and Judah Mintz, two of Syracuse’s highest rated prospects in a decade, to join the Orange.

Both Williams and Mintz played for team takeover, along with Justin Taylor, another DMV native. Other stars around the country like North Carolina’s Armando Bacot and former Michigan center Hunter Dickinson did as well.

Keeping Up With the 315 4-4-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

UConn is the national champion and Brian Higgins is here to compare their recent success with that of the Syracuse basketball program and share the one big difference between the two programs. Then, Luke Owens joins for “The 4-1-1” to talk more national championship and what the vibes were like in Syracuse in 2003 following the cutting down of the nets. Finally, Brian breaks down the Syracuse basketball picture from last night and chats with Pat from Syracuse.

Another UConn Title is a Bad Reminder for Syracuse Fans (orangefizz.net; Amendolara)

Once upon a time, Syracuse was the bully. Once upon a time, the Orange ruled northeast basketball Once upon a time, SU looked down its nose at the ragged, pathetic program four hours to the east. During the ’80s, Jim Boeheim built Syracuse into a powerhouse, were a perennial tournament team, collected 5-star recruits, packed 28,000 fans inside the raucous Carrier Dome, and played for a national championship.

During the ’80s, UConn never even made it to the NCAA Tournament.

The Huskies were in the Big East, but were punching bags for SU, Georgetown, St. John’s, and Villanova. But Jim Calhoun showed up in ’86, and began to construct a Death Star. Located closer to New York City and Boston than Syracuse, and via a tireless, maniacal work ethic (and questionable morals), Calhoun dragged the program into the big time in ’90. The Huskies won 31 games, took home the regular season Big East crown, and the tournament championship, then went all the way to the Elite 8. That was the turning point of the rivalry.

Axe: While SU counts ACC money, UConn wins another NCAA title. Who’s making out better? (PS; $; Axe)

Who would you rather be right now?

A Connecticut Huskies fan celebrating a fourth national title in men’s basketball since Syracuse last claimed one in 2003 (and fifth overall since 1999) or a proud member of the Atlantic Coast Conference?

UConn is now a true blue blood in college basketball with five titles earned without Power Five status.

Syracuse basketball hasn’t made an appearance in “One Shining Moment” for two straight years and counting.

UConn tried to do it the conventional way in college sports with football leading the way on the yellow brick road.

The Huskies never found Oz.

UConn football peaked with a Fiesta Bowl appearance in 2010 and not much else worth writing home about since. The program hit the bottom of the barrel with 10 straight losing seasons from 2011-2021, winning a single game in 2018 and 2021.

Other

ER4XBHQZFJDSVAP5BDTPSDU3NI.jpg

Official crew portrait for Artemis II, from left: NASA Astronauts Christina Koch, Victor Glover, Reid Wiseman, Canadian Space Agency Astronaut Jeremy Hansen. Wiseman is making his second trip to space and is an Upstate New York graduate. Josh Valcarcel | NASA

To the moon: NASA commander for Artemis II mission has Upstate NY ties (PS; $; Hernandez)

An Upstate New York graduate is heading into space next year and will serve as the commander for the first crewed moon mission in five decades.

Gregory Reid Wiseman, a 1997 graduate from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, will be at the helm for Artmeis II, set to launch in November 2024, the Times Union reported.

He is the third RPI graduate to become an astronaut.

Joined by Victor Glover and Christina Koch, and Jeremy Hansen of the Canadian Space Agency, the crew will be sent out beyond the moon and orbit it before making a splash landing in the Pacific Ocean, according to CNN. The journey is expected to last about 10 days and the astronauts may potentially travel further into space than any human has in history.

This mission will not land on the moon however, but serve as a “flight test” to “prove” the life-support systems needed for humans to live and work in deep space.

Artemis II’s mission builds on Artemis I, an uncrewed test mission, and it will pave the way for the crew on Artemis III which will mark the first time humans have touched down on the moon since the Apollo program ended in 1972.

Wiseman, 47, and a native of Baltimore, Maryland, was first chosen to be an astronaut in 2009. He was one of nine in the 20th NASA astronaut class, according to his NASA bio. He has completed one prior spaceflight, a 165-day trip to the International Space Station in 2014. During that space mission, Wiseman posted about life on the spaceship to Twitter and Youtube.