Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
blog_giving-day-blue_080317_main.png
Welcome to ASPCA Day!

The American Society For the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), the first animal welfare organization of its kind in the Western Hemisphere, was created on April 10, 1866. It works with shelters and humane societies across the country, with the mission of preventing cruelty to animals. Its founder, Henry Bergh, was inspired to create the organization after seeing a carthorse being beaten by its drivers. While on a diplomatic post overseas, at the behest of Abraham Lincoln, Bergh visited the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals in London, which also influenced him in the creation of ASPCA.

SU News

donnie-freeman-visit-5.jpg

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse...tball-donnie-freeman-official-visit-interview (SI; McAllister)

Syracuse basketball hosted class of 2024 forward Donnie Freeman for an official visit recently. Freeman is considered a top 35 player in the class and one of the top forward prospects. This was his fourth official visit, after trips to Iowa, Texas and Alabama.

"The visit was pretty straightforward," Freeman said. "They got straight to the point. Down there, it was strictly about business. Having good conversations, honest conversations. That's really what meant the most to me was how straightforward it was. Syracuse was really blatant about what they wanted to do with me in that class and I really liked that."

The main focus of the visit was Syracuse head coach Adrian Autry's approach and how Freeman fits into that vision.

"Of course he's going to change a couple of things with the man defense," Freeman said. "Change their forwards. I fit their game plan with versatile forwards. They have a couple versatile forwards already but they want to keep that going. He feels I fit with what he wants to do with the program."

Freeman was familiar with the Syracuse campus and facilities from previous visits.

MBB: AI picks Top 40 All-Time Programs (RX; HM)

MBB: AI picks Top 40 All-Time Programs

Someone asked the AI which were the all-time best college basketball programs...

We asked ChatGPT for the 40 greatest college basketball programs of all time. Accurate? pic.twitter.com/nTTZQjHraO
— College Basketball Report (@CBKReport) April 9, 2023

7 ACC teams in the All-Time Top 40:

2. N. Carolina
3. Duke
8. Louisville
9. Syracuse
23. Notre Dame
29. NC State
38. Wake Forest

What I get from this list is that the AI finds depth at the top of the ACC (2 of the top 3, and 4 of the top 10), but it's interesting that ACC basketball placed fewer teams (7) in the Top 40 than ACC football did (8). I guess that's due to the number of teams in basketball vs. football - and in the ability of non-football schools to win a national championship in basketball.

Other

Micron officials to join county executive for town hall discussion in Camillus Monday (PS; Kirk)

Micron Technology officials are joining Onondaga County Executive Ryan McMahon for a town hall discussion in Camillus on Monday.

The town hall will be at 6:30 p.m., Monday, in the West Genesee High School auditorium at 5201 Genesee St., according to the county executive’s office.

The town hall is to discuss the investments Micron is making in the community, according to the release.

It is unclear who the officials from Micron will be or if they will take questions.

P4UJKF2VFRHYJNK7DKFRWCUTKU.jpg

“Syracuse Playlist” is a monthly feature on syracuse.com highlighting music from Central New York artists.

Syracuse Playlist: Hear 20 new songs from CNY music artists (PS; $; Herbert)

Let’s add some more local music to your playlists.

“Syracuse Playlist” is a new monthly feature from syracuse.com | The Post-Standard highlighting Syracuse-area music artists. Each month, we’ll share the latest in rap, rock, R&B, country, pop, EDM, jazz, blues and more in Central New York so you can discover bands, singers and rappers that you like and follow them.

Songs are also featured in a Spotify playlist, updated monthly, called “Syracuse Playlist.” You can listen with a free Spotify account (or a paid subscription) and click on each artist to hear more of their songs, share them or add them to your own playlists to listen to at home or on a mobile device. (Cell phone data or WiFi may be required.)

We added 20 new songs to the Syracuse Playlist this month, including recent SAMMY Award winners, local rappers, indie musicians and other artists with a wide range of genres and influences. Enjoy!