Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Bicycle Day!

Bicycle Day celebrates the discovery of lysergic acid diethylamide 25, commonly known as LSD, and takes place on the anniversary of the first planned acid trip. On April 19, 1943, Albert Hofmann, a researcher at Sandoz Laboratories in Basel, Switzerland, purposely ingested .25 milligrams (250 micrograms) of LSD at his lab. He thought this would be the threshold dose—the lowest amount taken where there are still effects—when in reality the threshold dose for LSD is only 20 micrograms. But what does a bicycle have to do with the day?

Within an hour, Hofmann began to notice changes in his perception and senses. He decided that he should go home, so he hopped on his bicycle and began riding. Because the drug was already greatly affecting him, he had his laboratory assistant help guide him to his house. At times during his bicycle ride, he thought he was going insane, thought his neighbor was a witch and thought the LSD had poisoned him. He later wrote in LSD: My Problem Child, "On the way home, my condition began to assume threatening forms. Everything in my field of vision wavered and was distorted as if seen in a curved mirror. I also had the sensation of being unable to move from the spot. Nevertheless, my assistant later told me that we had traveled very rapidly." Needless to say, his bicycle ride was quite a trip.

SU News

Syracuse Basketball: Even if Judah Mintz goes pro, backcourt looking good (itlh; Adler)

Two guards on the Syracuse basketball 2022-23 roster are in the NCAA’s transfer portal, and a third, freshman Judah Mintz, is testing the 2023 NBA Draft waters while maintaining his college eligibility.

We’ll have to wait and see whether Mintz elects to stay in this year’s NBA Draft. The point guard had a really strong freshman season, and I wish him nothing but success if he goes pro rather than returns to the Hill for a second term.

Should Judah Mintz come back for his sophomore year, that’s awesome. But if he doesn’t, I think that the ‘Cuse backcourt can still prove a strong position group for the Orange in the 2023-24 stanza, although it will likely be a young group.

On Monday, head coach Adrian Autry and his assistants landed a commitment from Auburn transfer Chance Westry, a former long-time Orange target who has four years of eligibility left. The 6-foot-6 guard was a four-star, top-50 national prospect in the 2022 cycle.

Syracuse Basketball: Analyst prediction on No. 1 transfer, Hunter Dickinson (itlh; Adler)

A national recruiting analyst has logged a prediction for Michigan transfer center Hunter Dickinson, who conducted a Zoom meeting with Syracuse basketball coaches last week.

In an article on Tuesday, basketball recruiting director Rob Cassidy logged a prediction in the direction of 2022 national champion Kansas for the 7-foot-1 junior.

Cassidy assigned a “medium” confidence level to his projection for Hunter Dickinson, who is from the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area and does have some ties to the Orange coaching staff through his former AAU program.

On Tuesday, 247Sports reaffirmed Dickinson as the No. 1 transfer across the country when the recruiting service updated and expanded its national rankings for college basketball players who are in the NCAA’s transfer portal.

Multiple other recruiting services also rate Hunter Dickinson as the top-rated transfer nationwide. In the 2022-23 season for the Wolverines, he averaged 18.5 points, 9.0 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.8 blocks per game.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/whats-left-for-syracuse-basketballs-2023-24-roster (SI; McAllister)

With the addition of Chance Westry, where does Syracuse basketball stand with scholarships available, roster needs and potential targets? We take a look.

SCHOLARSHIPS

With the addition of Westry, Syracuse currently has 11 scholarship players for the 2023-24 season. That number includes Judah Mintz, however, who is currently in the NBA Draft process. If he elects to stay in the draft, that would free up another scholarship.

Here are the 11 players currently under scholarship: Judah Mintz, JJ Starling, Chance Westry, Justin Taylor, Quadir Copeland, Chris Bell, Benny Williams, Maliq Brown, Mounir Hima, Peter Carey and William Patterson.

That leaves Syracuse with two scholarship spots to potentially fill.

ROSTER NEEDS

The glaring need is center. With the departure of Jesse Edwards, Syracuse has lost its All ACC starting center. He is a lot to replace, but there are a lot of options in the transfer portal. Still, that position is focus number one for the remainder of the offseason.

Syracuse basketball: Adrian Autry still looking to add a center and another guard (TNIAAM; Szuba)

The Syracuse Orange men’s basketball program has undergone a sea change this offseason, from a changing of the guard at the top of the program to the changing of the guards on the court, Jim Boeheim stepped down and Adrian Autry took the helm while quickly retaining Syracuse’s assistant coaches and making his first hire in Brenden Straughn.

Syracuse lost Joe Girard, Jesse Edwards, Symir Torrence and John Bol Ajak to the transfer portal while securing commitments from local product and Notre Dame transfer JJ Starling and most recently, Chance Westry. All this while Judah Mintz’s decision to stay in the NBA Draft or return to Syracuse for a sophomore season hangs in the balance.

That’s quite the tumultuous offseason to date and Autry hopped on Jon Rothstein’s College Hoops Today podcast to discuss a medley of topics, including how Syracuse is still looking to add a center and another guard or two. Autry stated this before the Westry commitment was made public.

On the podcast, Autry touched on all the topical items you’d expect, so we highlighted the most interesting aspects of that conversation below.

On what life is like since stepping in for Jim Boeheim.

11699165.jpg

To Move Forward, Syracuse is Looking Back (orangefizz.net; Frank)

Just when it looked like the roof was caving in on Syracuse, hope sprung anew as the Orange received their second commitment from the transfer portal in former Auburn Tiger Chance Westry. The Orange recruited the 6 ‘6 combo guard/wing out of high school, but he chose to play in the SEC, and after a freshman season in which he was never healthy and took a medical redshirt, he comes to Syracuse with a much greater opportunity.

“I believe in what Coach Autry is building,” Westry said. “He and his staff sold me on their level of commitment to helping me develop into the player I want to be. He knows that I’m coming in ready to work and hopefully help us get to the tournament and make a run. “

Westry cited his relationship with Adrian Autry and Gerry McNamara among multiple reasons for his commitment and gave Orange fans hope that even if Judah Mintz returns, they would be able to play together, or Westry could have a bigger role. So, to move its roster forward, Syracuse is looking back to players it wanted years ago, but more than that, it’s looking for players who resemble those of strong former teams, where the main traits were size, athleticism, and speed. That’s how Autry wants to play with this new-look roster.

“I was not recruited to replace Judah,” Westry said. “Coach is respecting Judah’s process, and I’m doing the same. I know that Judah will do what’s best for him, but I welcome the opportunity to play with such a dynamic talent. And I’m super excited to share a backcourt with JJ. I think that our games complement each other in ways that could lead to a lot of success for our team.”

The Juice Online - Charting the downfall of Syracuse basketball after 10 years in the ACC (the juice; Stechschulte)

Ten years ago, Syracuse joined the ACC in a move that affected the athletic department, and the school as a whole, in countless ways.

Over that time, the Orange basketball program has devolved from a team that was a near-perennial automatic participant in the NCAA Tournament to a team that has only made four NCAA appearances in the last nine seasons (and would have very likely missed the one canceled by a pandemic). In those four tournament appearances, they have ranged between an 8-seed and an 11-seed, even squeaking in on one occasion as a participant in “The First Four”.

In the preceding 15 seasons going back to the 1999-2000 campaign, the team made the tourney a dozen times, never earning a place lower than a 5-seed in those 12 appearances. Those 15 seasons saw the team win a title, make another Final Four, an Elite Eight, and four Sweet Sixteens.

In fact, the program closed out their Big East membership with a five-year run that included a pair of Sweet Sixteens, an Elite Eight, and a Final Four, as well as ringing up three of Jim Boeheim’s six 30-win seasons as head coach. Each of the last four teams in that span (from 2009-2010 through 2012-2013) rank in the top nine in school history in Simple Rating System at basketballreference.com, a peak run only the Orange squads of the late 1980’s can stake a claim to.

Since that time, things have not been quite as glossy for SU.

Other

VTPKX47JP5ERRCYTJFVK6ZIUOA.JPG

The annual Cherry Blossom Festival at the Buffalo History Museum in the Delaware Park Japanese Garden, April 30, 2022. Sunny Hernandez | ahernandez@nyup.com

Spring bucket list: Here are 10 things you need to do in Upstate NY this season (PS; $; House & Hernandez)

Spring out of hibernation, Upstate New York: Adventure is calling.

Ice cream stands are handing out the first cream-topped cones of the season. Baseball teams are swinging bats. And trees and flowers are budding just in time for the state’s bouquet of flower festivals.

All seasons are good seasons Upstate. But there’s something particularly great about spring — the short-feeling season that wakes us up after months of clouds, cold and blankets of snow.
Here are 10 must-do activities that showcase the best of spring in Upstate. How many can you cross off your bucket list before summer arrives?

1. Go to a flower festival

After months of ice and snow, Upstate New York becomes a colorful carnival of flowers which is reason enough to celebrate. All season long you can find festivals in almost every region of the state. Visit Buffalo’s Cherry Blossom Festival, Rochester’s Lilac Festival, Candor’s Daffodil Festival, or Albany’s Tulip Festival, which was recently named one of the 10 best tulip festivals in America. See a full list of flower festivals here.

SPPUEPZNJFGCNCGMMJ725HHDDA.jpeg

New York State troopers are dressing as construction workers this week to catch speeding vehicles in work zones. (Courtesy of New York State)

New York adds cameras to catch speeders in work zones on state highways, Thruway (PS; Breidenbach)

You could get a ticket in the mail if you speed in a construction zone on the New York State Thruway or a state highway.

The state Department of Transportation and the Thruway Authority started a pilot program Monday that uses radar and speed cameras to enforce a new traffic law, signed by Gov. Kathy Hochul in 2021.

For the first 30 days, speeding drivers will get a warning. After that, they will be fined, state officials said.

The first violation will cost $50. The second costs $75. Three or more violations within 18 months of the first one will cost $100.

New York state residents will receive a notice in the mail within 14 days of the violation. Out-of-state drivers will get a notice within 45 days.

Drivers who don’t pay the fines will have trouble renewing their registrations.