Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
babe-ruth-hof2jpg.jpg
Welcome to Babe Ruth Day!

George Herman Ruth Jr. was born on February 6, 1895, in Baltimore, Maryland. A baseball star who played as both a pitcher and an outfielder, he is most remembered for his hitting abilities. He was usually called Babe Ruth, but he was also known as "The Bambino," "The Sultan of Swat," and "The Colossus of Clout." On April 27, 1947, he arrived at Yankee Stadium for Babe Ruth Day. Just as he was honored that day, we once again honor him today.

SU News

MikeyLewis.jpeg

Syracuse's Backcourt of the Future Is At Its Fingertips (orangefizz.net; Griffin)

Thank you to Coach Straughn at Syracuse University. Very blessed to receive an offer #OrangeNation pic.twitter.com/PlSBYyq7jU
— Mikey Lewis (@MikeyLewis05) April 25, 2023

Over the past week, Class of 2024 point guard Mikey Lewis has seen his recruiting stock rise. The Oakland native played in a showcase in Atlanta last weekend with talent including UNC-commit Elliot Cadeau, and offers have been flying through the roof since then. Lewis had already received them from plenty of schools including Cal, San Diego State, and Illinois. After this past weekend, Lewis has caught the eyes of Providence, Arizona State, TCU, and of course, Syracuse.

After a not-so-riveting job done with the Class of 2023 (William Patterson’s upside isn’t talked about enough though), Syracuse appears to be gaining recruiting momentum. Elijah Moore is already signed and sealed, as are old friends JJ Starling and Chance Westry via the transfer portal. With Donnie Freeman getting a crystal ball to Syracuse as well as this offer to Lewis, there’s legitimate optimism on the recruiting front for the first time in a long time.

So why does Lewis make so much sense? Starling is a lock to be a starting guard in the 2023-24 campaign, the second slot will be determined by where Judah Mintz winds up. Regardless, the latter will definitely be gone come 2024-25, and don’t be completely surprised if Starling is too. With that in mind, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that both Moore and Lewis could start in the backcourt two seasons from now.

Syracuse Basketball: Fast-rising 4-star point guard plans to visit the ‘Cuse (itlh; Adler)

New Syracuse basketball recruiting target Mikey Lewis plans to visit the Orange at some point in the future, according to multiple media reports.

On April 24, the 6-foot-3 Lewis said via Twitter that he had picked up a scholarship offer from ‘Cuse assistant coach Brenden Straughn.

The four-star point guard in the 2024 cycle has landed numerous new offers in recent days, after absolutely crushing things last weekend on the AAU circuit during a live period.

In interviews with both Charles Kang of The Juice Online and SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister, Lewis said that he wants to visit Syracuse basketball, which is highly encouraging to hear.

Syracuse basketball faces growing competition for 2024 four-star point guard Mikey Lewis.

Lewis said in the two interviews that he is excited about getting a scholarship offer from the Orange.

In his chat with The Juice Online, Lewis said of Straughn, “He’s a good dude and we know some of the same people and they all have had nothing but good things to say about him. I also like the program a lot and its tradition and history.”

In grassroots basketball, Lewis suits up for the Oakland, Calif.-based Oakland Soldiers in Nike’s EYBL league. In high school, he is a junior at Accelerated Prep in Lakewood, Colo.

This past weekend, as college coaches could watch recruits in person during an EYBL session at the LakePoint Champions Center in Emerson, Ga., Lewis put on a show.

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/patrick-ngongba-surprised-by-syracuse-offer (SI; McAllister)

Class of 2024 center Patrick Ngongba stars at Paul VI Catholic High in Virginia. The 6-10, 215 pounder is a four star prospect ranked in the top 100 by On3 and 247Sports. He holds scholarship offers from Notre Dame, Providence, Virginia, Kansas State, Pittsburgh, Iowa, Butler, Wichita State, Ole Miss, Maryland and others. Syracuse is the latest school to offer, doing so on Wednesday.

"The coaches came to my school," Ngongba said. "Coach Straughn and coach Autry came up. We sat down, they showed me a couple videos on what Syracuse is about, the history of Syracuse and all that. They were telling me that they saw me play last summer and they came to my school once in the fall and watched an open gym. They were saying I made so much improvement and they liked my dedication to the game. Basically just gave me the scholarship right after that.

"I was a little surprised, not going to lie. I just didn't expect it because it was my first time meeting them and talking to them."

Autry and Straughn also discussed how Ngongba's skill set would fit into Syracuse's system.

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/syracuse-transfer-joe-girard-reveals-hes-down-to-2-schools (thespun.com; Hodies)

Syracuse graduate transfer Joe Girard is down to a fellow ACC school and an SEC school in terms of his commitment.

Girard told On3's Joe Tipton that he will be committing to either LSU or Clemson. He confirmed that he's had a lot of fun getting to know Clemson head coach Brad Brownell and LSU head coach Matt McMahon during the process.

Girard had a great 2022 season as a member of the Orange. He averaged 16 points, three assists, and 2.8 rebounds per game. He was also a 40% shooter from three-point range.

He spent the last four seasons with the Orange before entering his name into the portal. For his career, he has averaged 13 points, 3.6 assists, and three rebounds per game.

Before Girard committed to Syracuse, he was a three-star prospect in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 203 overall recruit in the country, per 247Sports composite rankings.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: MAILBAG: State Of The Centers, Elijah Moore Stays Committed To Coach Autry + Portal Talk on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

State Of The Centers, Elijah Moore Stays Committed To Coach Autry + Portal Talk

Other

LFCNJOEHKBFSTKMRMZ5U24J4QU.jpg

Water Street Bagel in downtown Syracuse. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Breakfast to Go: 9 places in CNY to grab a portable meal as we head back to the office (PS; $; Miller)

Now that so many of us are being summoned back to the office, we working stiffs should raise a carton of concentrated orange juice to honor Herb Peterson. He’s the fast-food genius who invented the McDonald’s Egg McMuffin 52 years ago.

We can no longer spend our post-pandemic workday in sweats or enjoy a leisurely walk while on conference calls. We now have to actually dash out of the house to vie for a choice parking space, and that means we don’t have time to prepare breakfast as we did when we had an 18-step commute to our home office.

“Downtown is really coming back to life, and suddenly we’re selling a lot more breakfasts to go,” said Joe Terotta, owner of Across the Hall Cafe, located next to Syracuse’s City Hall. “People got used to eating well at home.”

Over the past two weeks, we visited some restaurants readers had suggested for a decent commuter breakfast. Here are nine, in no particular order, that stood out:

Breakfast Sandwiches: Fair Deli

The Zach Breakfast Bagel from Fair Deli Mart. (Charlie Miller | cmiller@syracuse.com)

Location: 757 State Fair Blvd., Syracuse. (315) 487-1783. Open Tuesday-Friday at 8 a.m. and Saturday at 11 a.m.

Zach’s Breakfast Bagel ($9): It was Zach Marji’s job to open his family’s deli on Saturday mornings while in high school. He had the place to himself while prepping before customers started wandering in for their hot lunches.