Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
0*6T5tuWBw0Bz2tQw_
Welcome to National Pinot Grigio Day!

Pinot Grigio, a crisp, light, smooth, and dry white wine, is celebrated today with National Pinot Grigio Day. Cavit Collection Wines, makers of the leading Italian wine in the United States, Cavit Pinot Grigio, created the day in 2017. National Pinot Grigio Day has been observed with the drinking of pinot grigio, the pairing of pinot grigio with food, and the use of pinot grigio to prepare food. On some observances, Cavit has joined up with others to share savory recipes and to create a pinot grigio doughnut with a cheesecake filling, Cavit Pinot Grigio glaze, and meringue.

Pinot grigio has aromas of citrus, pear, and stone fruits. Notes of honeysuckle, almond, and baking spices may also come through. Cavit asserts their pinot grigio "offers light refreshing notes of pear, apple, almonds and citrus, ideal for spring and summer." A versatile wine, pinot grigio is drunk as an aperitif and is used to make seafood dishes, veggie pastas, fruit salads, risottos, veal dishes, and cobblers. It pairs well with seafood, chicken, light pasta dishes, salads, and cheeses like gruyere and manchego. Served well-chilled, at about 45 degrees Fahrenheit, it is perfect for a picnic on a warm spring or summer day. Unlike many other wine varieties, pinot grigio should be drunk soon after being bottled, instead of being aged—it should be drunk one or two years after the vintage date, the year the grapes were harvested.

SU News

MVY6P5OYLZCCPNWXJYCEKX4LOY.JPG

Syracuse's Judah Mintz looks to pass the ball during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game against Illinois, Tuesday, Nov. 29, 2022, in Champaign, Ill. (AP Photo/Michael Allio) AP

NBA scouts discuss Syracuse’s Judah Mintz’s draft status: ‘It all depends on how he shoots the ball’ (PS; Waters)

Judah Mintz is participating in the NBA pre-draft combine in Chicago this week.

The Syracuse University guard put his name into the draft following a stellar freshman season with the Orange. Mintz was one of 78 players invited to take part in the NBA combine.

But Mintz has retained his collegiate eligibility, which means he could remove his name from the draft and return to Syracuse next year as a sophomore.

Mintz has until the NCAA deadline of May 31 to withdraw from the draft and return to school. The NBA draft will take place on June 22 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Prior to the combine, Syracuse.com spoke to two NBA scouts; one from a team in the Eastern Conference and one from a team in the Western Conference, to get their opinions about Mintz, his game and his draft status.

Basketball transfer Naheem McLeod on why he picked Syracuse (PS; $; Waters)

Syracuse was one of dozens of schools interested in Naheem McLeod after the 7-foot-4 center put his name in the NCAA’s transfer portal.

McLeod committed to Syracuse on Monday, picking the Orange in part because he liked new SU coach Adrian Autry’s plans to use him.

But he also chose Syracuse because Autry showed interest in McLeod’s post-basketball plans.

“When I was on my visit, I really bonded with the coaches,’’ McLeod said Monday night, just hours after announcing his decision to play for Syracuse. “We talked about life situations. (Autry) wanted to know about my plans after basketball and how I see my life progressing when I depart with Syracuse and when basketball is all over.

“Him asking me that and really wanting to know really stood out to me.’’

McLeod averaged 3.8 points and 2.7 rebounds in 13 minutes a game as a sophomore at Florida State. At 7-foot-4, 255-pounds, McLeod gives Syracuse an imposing defensive presence and a potential rebounding force.

McLeod said that was part of Autry’s plan for him.

Syracuse Basketball: 7-foot-4 transfer adds critical depth at center position (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball coaches have been mining the NCAA’s transfer portal this off-season to add another center to the 2023-24 roster. And on Monday afternoon, they landed one.

Florida State transfer Naheem McLeod, a 7-foot-4 sophomore center from Philadelphia who officially visited the Hill two weekends ago, said on Monday that he was committing to the Orange, a nice recruiting win for the ‘Cuse coaching staff.

Last month, senior center Jesse Edwards said he would transfer from Syracuse basketball to West Virginia. That was a tough blow for the Orange, as the 6-foot-11 Edwards was named to the All-ACC third team during the 2022-23 season.

Allow me to reintroduce myself #committed pic.twitter.com/GuiDI4Usr3
— Naheem Bigduke McLeod (@boogienah_10) May 15, 2023

Keeping Up With The 315 5-16-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins is here to say something Syracuse fans may not like regarding basketball defense this upcoming season. Plus, conference realignment is in the news again with the ACC and Brian shares his thoughts on where Syracuse stands. Finally, a trip down the rabbit hole on Naheem Mcloud and the local connection to the origin of his nickname: Marmaduke.

Terrence Oglesby "The 315" 5-16-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

The Field of 68’s Terrence Oglesby joins Brian Higgins to discuss the moves Syracuse has made in the portal, including his thoughts on Chance Westry and Naheem McLeod. Plus, with all this length, could the 2-3 zone make another showing? Finally, Terrence shares his experience with the NBA Draft process and his advice for Judah Mintz.

1684328525275.jpeg

Toledo Blade

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star PG, nearing 5 stars, ‘loves’ Orange, eyes visit (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2025 four-star target Jerry Easter II from Ohio, an All-American in high school as both a freshman and a sophomore, has put forth some strong performances so far this spring on the AAU circuit.

The 6-foot-4 point guard, who recently vaulted into the top 25 across the country in his class, has spoken highly of the Orange program since receiving a scholarship offer from the ‘Cuse coaching staff last summer.

He also has some interesting connections to Syracuse basketball. For one, his dad, Jerry Easter Sr., is close friends with Orange hoops legend Derrick Coleman, as I’ve noted in the past.

According to an interview that Easter Sr. recently conducted with SyracuseOnSI publisher Mike McAllister, Jerry Easter II is also good friends with 2025 four-star shooting guard Kiyan Anthony from New York City.

The 6-foot-5 Anthony, the son of ‘Cuse legend and long-time NBA star Carmelo Anthony, received a scholarship offer from the Orange last November. Both Kiyan Anthony and Jerry Easter II appear to be priority recruits for Syracuse basketball coaches in the sophomore cycle.

Syracuse basketball faces intense competition for 2025 four-star point guard Jerry Easter II.

Easter is a consensus top-50 national prospect in the 2025 class. He’s a top-five point guard, per several recruiting services. ESPN, when it recently updated its national ratings for this cycle, placed Easter at No. 22 overall, just a few spots away from five-star status.

Other

Chicken Wing Weekend: 12 restaurants vying for top honors at Inner Harbor festival (PS; Miller)

The annual Inner Harbor festival celebrating chicken wings is expanding into a food truck rodeo and music festival this weekend.

Twelve restaurants and bars will compete for top honors in the Battle of the Wings on Friday and Saturday. All the while, local and national bands will perform on two stages throughout the grounds and food trucks will offering menus other than wings. Area breweries will be selling craft beers and seltzers.

“Central New Yorkers love wings. We can’t get enough of them,” said organizer Nick Ford of Limp Lizard. “But this year’s festival is so much more than just wings. There’s going to be something here for everyone.”

The festival is Friday 4 to 10 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 10 p.m. Fireworks will close out the festival Friday night at 9:45 p.m.

Admission is $10, with a portion of the proceeds going to the Food Bank of Central New York. Each wing vendor will be selling two wings for $3.

A panel of judges will begin sampling the wings at 6 p.m. Saturday. The public can vote to pick the people’s choice award.