Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to World Crohn's And Colitus Day!

More than 10 million people worldwide experience the physical, psychological, and financial burdens of living with Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, collectively known as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). Every year on May 19, the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation recognizes World IBD Day as an opportunity to raise awareness of IBD and accelerate our progress toward cures for the diseases. This year, we are inviting IBD patients and their loved ones, healthcare professionals, researchers, and all members of the IBD community to help us Make a Gut Friendly World in honor of World IBD Day.

SU News

gettyimages-1903539-1.jpg

Getty Images

Carmelo Anthony was an NBA great, but his legacy will be defined by title-winning freshman year at Syracuse (cbssports.com; Norlander)

What's the first thing that jumps to mind when you hear the name Carmelo Anthony?

For Nuggets fans, sure, it's understandably Melo in a baby-blue Denver uni in the first part of his NBA career. (Given how lovely things currently are in the Rockies, those fans' fondness of Anthony rejuvenating the franchise in the 2000s is probably greater on this day than ever before. His NBA retirement announcement on Monday was well-timed in that respect.)

And for the irascible yet incurable Knicks fans, who back that franchise no matter how terrible their existence can sometimes be, I suppose there are some good memories tied to Anthony's time there — even if it was complicated by his poor handling of the Linsanity phenomenon. Many Knicks fans aren't quick to forget that Anthony pushed the team to only one conference semifinals appearance, either.

Anthony suited up for six NBA franchises in 19 seasons. In the winter of his career, he petered out in Oklahoma City, Houston, Portland and Los Angeles. For as fun as he was in Denver and as much buzz as his Knicks signing brought to Manhattan (and the NBA) at the time, I think it's fair to say none of those teams will be what he's most remembered for. It's not his outstanding Olympics run either, though that's a major part of his basketball legacy.

Carmelo Anthony retires ‘a true legend’ (what they’re saying) (PS; Leiker)

Carmelo Anthony retired from the NBA on Monday morning after 19 years in the league.

The New York native began his professional career following a single season at Syracuse in which he helped lead the Orange to its only national championship. He was selected No. 3 overall in the 2003 NBA Draft.

Anthony spent most of his career with the Denver Nuggets (2003-10) and New York Knicks (2010-17), and then went to the Oklahoma City Thunder, Houston Rockets, Portland Trailblazers and, most recently, Los Angeles Lakers.

He finishes his career among the highest NBA scorers all-time with over 30,000 points between the regular and postseason. He appeared in over 1,200 games.

Here’s how the sports world is reacting.

Thank you #STAYME7O pic.twitter.com/4au8cOd13s
— Carmelo Anthony (@carmeloanthony) May 22, 2023

Congratulations, @carmeloanthony on an amazing career! #STAYME7O pic.twitter.com/Z3GYLOE0dc
— NEW YORK KNICKS (@nyknicks) May 22, 2023

Congratulations to @carmeloanthony, a Hall-of-Famer who is moving on to his many off-court interests and endeavors.
He will always be an icon of Syracuse, for what he and his teammates did and for the connections he maintains. https://t.co/yq9iFSsCB9
— Matt Park (@MattPark1) May 22, 2023

Throwback to the most hype 30 second commercial of all time…

Hell of a career for Carmelo Anthony pic.twitter.com/6TGKs0PE4X
— Brett Hanfling (@Brett_Hanfling) May 22, 2023

Only eight players to ever set foot on an basketball court scored more points in the NBA than Carmelo Anthony:

LeBron James
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Karl Malone
Kobe Bryant
Michael Jordan
Dirk Nowitzki
Wilt Chamberlain
Shaquille O'Neal

Carmelo Anthony’s 10 best performances in a Syracuse basketball uniform (PS; Waters)

In his one year at Syracuse University, Carmelo Anthony delivered dozens of memorable performances in addition to the only NCAA championship in the history of the Orange men’s basketball program.

He came to Syracuse from Baltimore by way of Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., in the summer of 2002. Syracuse was coming off a season that ended in a trip to the NIT, but Anthony, along with his classmate Gerry McNamara, brought much anticipation and excitement.

Anthony announced his presence in a big way, hammering home a dunk for his first basket in a Syracuse uniform in the nationally-televised season-opener against Memphis at Madison Square Garden.

The 6-foot-8 forward with the baby face and distinctive braids won over the Syracuse faithful with his dazzling play as well as his effervescent smile. He would average 22.2 points and 10.0 rebounds that season; both were and still are records for a Syracuse freshman.

Anthony announced his official retirement from basketball on Monday with a video posted to his social media accounts.

Whittling down to a Top 10 of Anthony’s best performances at Syracuse would seem like an easy task, considering he played in just 35 games during his one year in college. But consider that he reached double-digits in every game. Every single game.

YEVJFRMAIVGU5CKVMXCPT7HKEU.jpg

Carmelo Anthony officially retires from the NBA, passes torch to son Kiyan (PS; Ditota)

Carmelo Anthony officially retired from the NBA Monday morning, making the announcement in a video in which he said his son Kiyan would be his greatest legacy.

He bid “a bittersweet goodbye” to the NBA in a nearly two-minute video circulated on social media.

Anthony, 38, a certain Basketball Hall of Famer, led Syracuse University to its only NCAA men’s basketball title in 2003. As a freshman, he averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds and returned to Syracuse on March 4 to celebrate the team’s 20th anniversary of the championship. The Carmelo K. Anthony Center, which houses SU’s basketball practice facilities, was named after him after he made a sizeable donation to the cause.

Carmelo Anthony retires: Where the Syracuse legend's performance ranks among best NCAA one-and-done seasons (cbssports.com; Salerno)

Syracuse and NBA legend Carmelo Anthony announced his retirement from basketball Monday after a 19-year NBA career. The former No. 3 overall pick from the 2003 NBA Draft shined during his one season with the Orange program and helped lead the school to the 2003 national championship.

"I remember the days when I had nothing, just a ball on the court and a dream of something more," Anthony said in a video announcing his retirement. "But basketball was my outlet, my purpose was strong, my communities, the cities I represented with pride, and the fans that supported me along the way. I am forever grateful for those people and places, because they made me Carmelo Anthony.

"But now the time has come for me to say goodbye -- to the court where I made my name, to the game that gave me purpose and pride. But this bittersweet goodbye to the NBA, I am excited about what the future holds for me. When people ask what I believe my legacy is, it's not my feats on the court that come to mind, nor the awards or praise, because my story has always been more than basketball."

Anthony was named the Final Four Most Outstanding Player after his performances in a win over Texas in the Final Four and Kansas in the NCAA Tournament game. Anthony scored 33 points and grabbed 14 rebounds in the win over the Longhorns and then added 20 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists against Kansas to give the Orange their first national championship.

Friedlander: Melo's retirement another sign of change for Syracuse basketball - Saturday Road (saturdayroad.com; Friedlander)

Jim Boeheim spent 47 seasons at Syracuse. Carmello Anthony was there for only 1.

But despite that disparity, their legacies at the school are inexorably and permanently linked.

As much as Boeheim meant to the Orange’s basketball program and the university itself, and as much as he accomplished during those other 46 seasons, it took Anthony’s solitary campaign of 2002-03 for him to finally gain the crowning achievement of his Hall of Fame career.

That national championship didn’t just validate the coach and vault the player to superstar status. It also formally ushered in acceptance of the 1-and-done concept in college basketball.

Now, nearly 2 decades later, their career decisions have once again brought them together in providing Syracuse basketball with another defining moment.

On March 8, only a few hours after a season-ending loss to Wake Forest at the ACC Tournament, the university announced that Boehim would be stepping down in a tersely-worded statement that made it clear the decision for him to walk away wasn’t exactly his own.

Monday, Anthony made a much more upbeat announcement on social media that he is ending his playing career after 19 years in the NBA.

A sleek 6-8 forward, Anthony was already a highly-touted player when he arrived at Syracuse as the nation’s No. 1 recruit.

Axe: Carmelo Anthony remains the North Star of Syracuse basketball (PS; $; Axe)

Twenty years since Carmelo Anthony climbed out of a pile of teammates celebrating a national championship at the New Orleans Superdome, he remains the North Star of Syracuse University men’s basketball players.

As said in the movie “The Sandlot”: Heroes get remembered and legends never die.

Carmelo Anthony is the living Syracuse basketball legend. He’s the one that delivered a national title and will be the next SU figure to go into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Sit still in any public place in Syracuse and it won’t be long before someone in an Anthony jersey strolls by.

We were reminded of that on Monday when Anthony formally announced his retirement from the NBA.

That proclamation comes in the wake of a flood of nostalgia following Jim Boeheim’s retirement and the 20th anniversary celebration of SU’s 2003 national team with Anthony as its main attraction.

Twenty years is a long time. So much can change in more than 7,300 days, yet one thing that hasn’t is Syracuse is still chasing that feeling Anthony brought in a one-and-done surge that hasn’t been replicated since.

Carmelo Anthony is forever a Syracuse legend #shorts (youtube; video; CBS Sports)

Carmelo Anthony is forever a Syracuse legend

Gerry McNamara "Orange Nation" 5-22-23 (soundcloud.com; radio; Orange Nation)

Syracuse men's basketball associate head coach Gerry McNamara joins Steve and Paulie to discuss what Carmelo Anthony means to Syracuse University, how the men's basketball team is shaping up, his thoughts on Judah Mintz's NBA decision, and more.

Keeping Up With The 315 5-22-23 (ESPN; radio; The 315)

Brian Higgins starts the show discussing Syracuse men’s basketball acquiring Kansas transfer guard Kyle Cuffe Jr. as he is now officially a member of the roster. Then, a deep dive into Carmelo Anthony’s legacy and how the Detroit Pistons will forever impact it. Later, a look at what Jim Brown did for Syracuse and beyond, and how he’ll be remembered by the sports world.

‎Locked On Syracuse - Daily Podcast On Syracuse Orange Football & Basketball: What Role Will Each Of Syracuse Basketball's Four Transfers Play Next Season? on Apple Podcasts (apple.com; podcast; Locked on Syracuse)

What Role Will Each Of Syracuse Basketball's Four Transfers Play Next Season?

'Cuse Welcomes Cuffe To Hoop Squad - Syracuse University Athletics (cuse.com)

Kyle Cuffe Jr., who spent the last two years with the Kansas men's basketball program, has announced his transfer to Syracuse.

ORANGE BACKCOURT GROWS STRONGER
Cuffe, who prepped at Blair Academy (N.J.), was a four-star recruit in the Class of 2021. He was a redshirt on the 2021-22 Kansas squad that captured the NCAA Championship and saw some action a season ago before an injury cut short his campaign.

CUFFE AT KANSAS
Cuffe opted to redshirt at Kansas in 2020-21, his freshman campaign. He was an active practice participant on the NCAA title time. He competed for playing time as a sophomore and appeared in two early contests but had an injury end his year.

A BLAIR ACADEMY STANDOUT
He was a key member of Coach Joe Mantegna's team at Blair Academy. As a junior, he averaged 16.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals per contest. The Buc's were 24-3 overall, won the 2020 Mid-Atlantic Prep League (MAPL) title, and finished second in the State Prep A tournament.

Syracuse Basketball: J.J. Starling in top 5 nationally in final transfer ratings (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball commit J.J. Starling is a top-five transfer across the country in final rankings from one of the primary recruiting services.

With the NCAA’s transfer portal closed to players who have not graduated, 247Sports has disclosed its final top-150 transfer rankings for this off-season. J.J. Starling arrived at No. 5 nationwide.

The 6-foot-4 Starling, a Central New York native, said he would transfer from Notre Dame to the Orange in March. Last month, the freshman guard officially signed with Syracuse basketball, according to SU Athletics.

In the 2022-23 season for the Fighting Irish, J.J. Starling averaged 11.2 points, 2.8 rebounds and 1.1 assists per game. He was named to the Atlantic Coast Conference’s All-Freshman team.

As a senior at the powerhouse La Lumiere School in La Porte, Ind., Starling was a McDonald’s All-American and rated as a consensus five-star, top-25 national prospect in the 2022 recruiting cycle.

Syracuse basketball pledge J.J. Starling is one of the top transfers nationally.

The final 247Sports transfer playing rankings includes numerous other familiar names. Auburn freshman guard Chance Westry, who is transferring to the Orange as well, checks in at No. 74 overall.

Syracuse Basketball: 4-star Elijah Moore, 4-star priority target soar in AAU (itlh; Adler)

Syracuse basketball 2024 four-star commit Elijah Moore and Orange 2024 four-star priority recruit Jalil Bethea took part in AAU action this past weekend, and they both earned high praise from national analysts and scouts for their play.

It’s proven a stellar spring so far in grassroots basketball for the 6-foot-4 Moore, a talented shooting guard, and the 6-foot-4 Bethea, who plays both guard positions and likely will be able to suit up on the wing at small forward in college.

Elijah Moore, who verbally committed to the ‘Cuse in late January, is a member of the Bronx, N.Y.-based Wiz Kids in the Adidas 3SSB league. Last weekend, the Wiz Kids competed at the Southern Jam Fest in Virginia Beach, Va., and Hampton, Va.

Bethea, meanwhile, is one of the top targets for Syracuse basketball coaches in the junior class. He is a standout for the Philadelphia-based Team Final in Nike’s EYBL league. This past weekend, Team Final suited up versus other Philadelphia AAU squads at the Battle of the Bell from Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School.

Syracuse basketball ramps up recruiting with 4-stars, 5-stars in 2025 class (itlh;; Adler)

Syracuse basketball had offered a scholarship to 2025 big man Nikola Bundalo from Ohio.

The 6-foot-9 power forward attends Green High School in Uniontown, Ohio, and suits up for the Charleston, W.Va.-based Wildcat Select in the Adidas 3SSB league.

Bundalo’s offer is one of the latest in a string of scholarship offers doled out by the Orange coaching staff lately, as the ‘Cuse appears to be ramping up its recruiting efforts within the sophomore cycle.

As far as I can tell, the Orange has offered around 10 prospects in this class, and five of those offers have come in recent weeks as the shoe-sponsored AAU circuits have kicked off their spring seasons in earnest.

Syracuse's Roster Has Gotten Worse (orangefizz.net; Simone)

Sigh

Adrian Autry had two main tasks when he took over as head coach: keep the young talent Syracuse had while bolstering the roster with talent from the transfer portal. For the most part, he’s done that. While it’s not official yet, it appears as though Judah Mintz is the only member of last year’s freshman class who will not be back this coming season.

The other departures were veterans Jesse Edwards, Joe Girard, Symir Torrence and John Bol Ajak while JJ Starling, Chance Westry, Naheem McLeod and Kyle Cuffe took their spots on the roster.

So, is it different? Absolutely. Is it better? No, in fact it’s probably worse. Mintz, Edwards and Girard leave about a 45 point per game gap, plus 15 rebounds and nine assists per contest coming off of a team that not only missed the NCAA Tournament, but wasn’t even good enough to get an NIT bid.

The story of last season was the trio of Mintz, Edwards and Girard needing to perform for Syracuse to have a chance to win game in and game out.

MBB: Top Coaches for 2023-24 (RX; HM)

MBB: Top Coaches for 2023-24

Who are the best Men's Basketball coaches, and how many are in the ACC?

The top 50 coaches in college basketball pic.twitter.com/GfmMPXiTxt
— College Basketball Report (@CBKReport) May 22, 2023
The ACC has only six of them:

7. Tony Bennett, UVa
17. Jim Larranaga, Miami
35. Leonard Hamilton, FSU
39. Jon Scheyer, Duke
40. Micah Shrewsberry, ND
42. Hubert Davis, UNC

That's not good for a league which prides itself on hoops... that said, I think they left off some guys. I would give consideration also to:

• Jeff Capel, Pitt
  • Damon Stoudamire, GT
  • Mike Young, VT
Other

VUT6FZPA2BAN3PIVWXTEYIB4YE.jpg

Syracuse native shines among stars in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit debut (photos) (PS; $; Herbert)

The stars came out for the launch of the new Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issue, but few shined as bright as Melissa Wood-Tepperberg.

Wood-Tepperberg, a model and wellness guru from Syracuse, N.Y., appears in a bikini for the magazine as a 2023 SI Swim “rookie.” At age 40, she’s one of the oldest rookies in the annual publication, which highlights models, athletes and celebrities posing in sexy swimwear at exotic locales around the world.

“It feels so beyond incredible to be a Sports Illustrated rookie,” Wood-Tepperberg told the publication. “I can’t fully believe it, but then I can believe it because I’m here and I’m doing it, and it just feels phenomenal.”

Wood-Tepperberg walked the red carpet Thursday to celebrate the official release of the new Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition, joining this year’s cover stars Martha Stewart, Megan Fox, Kim Petras and Brooks Nader. Other notable people at the event included Machine Gun Kelly, Camille Kostek, Rob Gronkowski, Padma Lakshmi, Leyna Bloom, Hailey Clausen, Christen Harper, Jena Sims, Madison LeCroy, Ellie Thumann, Angel Reese, and Wood-Tepperberg’s husband, Tao Group club owner Noah Tepperberg.

Syracuse must encourage homeowners and investors to fix decayed housing, study finds (PS; Knauss)

Syracuse has relatively cheap home prices, but that doesn’t make it easier to provide quality affordable housing. In some ways, it makes it harder, according to a new study to be released today by City Hall.

Syracuse home prices – depressed by decades of population loss, poverty and job cuts – are so low they discourage new construction and major renovations unless they are heavily subsidized, according to the study by czb LLC, a Maine consulting firm.

And the city needs lots of building and renovation. Syracuse’s housing stock has suffered from decades of disinvestment. According to the study, one-third of all city homes are “visibly in decline,” and only 27% are in good or excellent condition, the study said.

The Syracuse housing study provides a new perspective that will guide City Hall’s efforts to create more affordable housing, said Sharon Owens, deputy mayor. City officials will host open houses tonight and Wednesday to discuss the findings with residents and gather feedback.

The study prescribes no specific solutions. But one key takeaway is that the city should broaden its housing strategy to focus on more than the construction of new homes for low-income residents.

Spending limited government subsidies every year to construct a few new homes for low-income families – that is, business as usual — won’t be enough. Syracuse leaders also will have to find better ways to encourage middle- and upper-income people who want to buy and fix up houses in the city.

To spur investment, city officials say they hope to identify new funding sources that could help property owners who don’t now qualify for income-based subsidies. But it’s not clear where that money would come from.

ZJFPUKESQRC5VAQAKFSHPF5WZA.jpg

Chicago anglers haul in 290 lbs of carp, win $12K top prize in 2023 Wild Carp Classic (PS; Featherstone)

After a grueling 76 hours of non-stop fishing, the 17th annual Wild Carp Classic is in the books.

More than 100 anglers representing 39 teams from as far away as Texas and Florida participated in the tournament last week. But it was two guys from Chicago—Ioan Iacob and Pacsa Radu Daniel—who took home the top prize of $12,000.

Iacob and Daniel fished from a peg, or section, near the Onondaga Lake Park kayak and canoe launch, on the lake’s outlet. The pair’s top ten fish weighed a total of 290 pounds, 9 ounces.

The Classic’s total purse was $42,000, the highest ever, and winning teams also took home rods, sonars, and other goodies from tournament sponsors. Nobody won the big $50,000 payout for catching a New York state record carp, which still stands at 50 pounds, 6 ounces.

Lol that OrangeFizz article reads familiar to many of the threads about next year here...