Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Basketball

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
200.webp

Welcome to National Great American Pot Pie Day!

National Great American Pot Pie Day celebrates a distinctly American pie, the pot pie. The day was created in 2002 by Marie Callender's, a company that makes frozen pot pies, among other things. The original intention was for the day to be celebrated on the first day of fall, but September 23 continued to be the day of its celebration after it was first celebrated on that day. Although pot pies are similar to meat pies, they are an American creation, and were first referred to in print in the United States in 1785. They usually consist of a meat such as chicken, pork, or beef, and most times include vegetables such as carrots, peas, green beans, and potatoes. Another common ingredient is gravy. A top flaky crust is the norm, and there is usually a bottom crust as well, but not always. Besides being either made at home or bought at a restaurant, they can be bought frozen at a store. The first frozen pot pies were chicken, and were introduced by Swanson foods in the early 1950's.

SU News

Syracuse basketball walk-on stars alongside SU alum Taye Diggs in new Lifetime movie (podcast) (PS; $; Waters)

After spending three seasons on the Syracuse University basketball team as a walk-on, Elimu Nelson fell into acting.

He started out by doing some modeling and then did a commercial or two before deciding to go to Hollywood.

“I went to L.A. with 300 bucks and three bags,’' Nelson, who played at SU from 1993 to 1996, said. “I started hitting the pavement. I really thought I was a lot better than I was.’'

Since then Nelson has appeared in movies and television shows, including his latest project which put him on screen alongside another Syracuse alum. Nelson is currently co-starring in “Forever’' on the Lifetime Network. The film’s star is Taye Diggs, who graduated from Syracuse in 1994.

Nelson discussed the film, his acting career and reminisced on his days with the Orange in an appearance on the Inside Syracuse Basketball podcast.

On his role in “Forever,’' Nelson described his character as “an .’'

“I come in and wreck everything,’' he said. After the film’s release, one of the producers sent Nelson some screen-shots of tweets sent out by viewers. “They were crushing my character something terrible. Which is good.’’

Nelson has had some other notable roles. He played Dru Hilton in the 2003 release “Love Don’t Cost a Thing.’'

“I had no idea that film would afford me world-wide notoriety,’' Nelson said. “Every generation of teenagers, that’s their film.’’

JJ Starling Talks About Syracuse Player Departures, Increased Responsibility & Newfound Confidence (youtube; podcast; Schuz)
This is a conversation with JJ Starling where he Talks about Syracuse Player Departures, Increased Responsibility & Newfound Confidencefrom The SchuZ Show LIVE at 2 PM MST every Monday and Thursday.

SU Hoodie.jpg

Official Online Store

*ONLINE ONLY - Please allow 7-14 business days for processing & delivery.* This cozy hooded sweatshirt will keep you warm when the weather isnt. Comfortable and versatile, its great for lounging around or life on the go. 8 oz., 50% sustainably and fairly grown USA cotton, 50% polyester fleece. Printed logo. Double layer hood with drawcord. Ribbed cuffs and hem. Front pouch pocket.

Other

UHLS2F5XKND5RN6VZIEYTZCA2I.jpg

A scene from Mt. Jo in Lake Placid showing fall colors on Sept. 14, 2024. Tyler Bowles | @tylertbowles on InstagramTyler Bowles | @tylertbowles on Instagram

Think fall leaves are changing early this year? You’re right. Here’s why (photos) (PS; Hernandez)

They say time flies, but if you are feeling like fall foliage colors in Upstate New York are on fast forward, you’re right. Leaves all over the state are transforming ahead of schedule, some a whole month earlier than usual.

Photographers have been posting photos of autumnal hues appearing in their backyards and in New York state parks, well ahead of fall’s official arrival this weekend on Sept. 22.

ILOVENY, the state’s tourism website provides a weekly fall foliage forecast each year. They released their second map of the season on Wednesday, showing most of the state in the “just changing” stage of their fall colors. Some spots, like Wanakena in the Adirondacks, are already past their midway point to peak.

A look at last year’s map from the same time period paints a different story. Much of the state was experiencing no change when fall arrived in 2023.

MITX2Z6VMBDRRDHAKNUXXOYROI.jpg

"The Second City 65th Anniversary Show" runs at Syracuse Stage until September 29, 2024. (Brenna Merritt)Provided photo

Spot the next Tina Fey, Jason Sudeikis, Steve Carell at Syracuse Stage’s ‘The Second City 65th Anniversary Show’ (review) (PS; $; Lowen)

If you drink just to get drunk, bum wine has the same effect as the world’s most expensive bottle. (FYI, that’s Thunderbird, “The American Classic,” vs. Domaine de la Romanée-Conti 1945, roughly $500,000 a bottle.) Likewise, if you seek humor solely for a laugh, get a book of dad jokes and knock yourself out.

But if you are a connoisseur of comedy—a fan of TV shows like Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock, streaming series like Schitt’s Creek, and films like Ghostbusters—then a ticket to The Second City’s 65th Anniversary Show, running at Syracuse Stage through September 29, will be both edifying and entertaining. It’s as close as you’ll get in CNY to rising comedy royalty unless you purchase another type of ticket, an Amtrak ride to Chicago, the birthplace of improv.

Improv is a form of comedy with its own rules and language. It’s not a last-comic-standing competition or a visit to crazy town (which is, in fact, an improv term). The rules are well-defined and give improv its unique egalitarian spirit. If you’ve ever taken an improv class or played a team-building improv game, you know that the first and most important rule is “Yes, and...” -- acceptance of what someone else is offering, and an unspoken agreement that you’ll build on top of that. Improv works because it’s predicated on buy-in and mutual respect. Improv’s lessons make the Syracuse Stage performances a must-see not only for the laughs but also for its model of cooperation which celebrates careful listening to the ideas of others.