Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Sewing-Machine-Day.jpg

Welcome to Sewing Machine Day!

Today is Sewing Machine Day! Thomas Saint patented the first sewing machine in 1790. Since then, the sewing machine has become one of the iconic symbols of the Industrial Revolution, representing the transition from traditional handmade goods to automated production.

For many decades the sewing machine was a standard household appliance, but it is no longer considered a domestic necessity. Although the heyday of the sewing machine has come and gone, we can still recognize its significance in our history. Without this important invention, the process of making clothing (and any sewn item) would be extremely tedious. Each article would have to be sewn by hand, stitch by stitch!

To celebrate Sewing Machine Day, dig out your sewing machine and start a new project, or sign up for a sewing class to learn this important handcraft!

SU News

As TV revenues widen financial gaps, ACC still in limbo on league network (tallahhassee.com; Deen)

With plans of a Big 12 television network now off the table, the Atlantic Coast Conference remains as the only member of the NCAA’s Power 5 autonomy in limbo while the Southeastern Conference, Big Ten and Pac-12 continue to reap the financial benefits of a conference network.

While there might not be an immediate end in sight, Florida State athletic director Stan Wilcox shared some glowing optimism with members of FSU’s athletic board on Thursday regarding the prospects of an ACC network.

However, like conference Commissioner John Swofford, Wilcox has remained vague on the topic.

During a school Board of Trustees meeting Friday, Wilcox presented members with a PowerPoint slide showing the Seminoles’ rise in revenue rating from 17th in the nation in 2010 to 13th in 2015.

Without further elaboration, Wilcox pointed out that all of the schools ahead of FSU — the highest-ranked school in the ACC — except for Oklahoma (Big 12) were backed by television networks.

“The ACC, the commissioner and the conference office are having ongoing conversations with ESPN about a network,” Wilcox told the Tallahassee Democrat. “Anything else beyond that has to come from the commissioner.”

Syracuse Football: What's The Most Important Game On The 2016 Schedule? (TNIAAM; Weinheimer)

I'll give you a hint: I'm hoping we flip the bird (banner) at Varsity Pizza following a win in Week 2.

Syracuse Orange football is in a very interesting place.

They're coming off of a very poor season, one that was the lowest-attended in Carrier Dome history. To counter the season that would turn any optimist to pessimism, the Orange hired a much-needed up-tempo coach in Dino Babers to bring some excitement to the fans.

Every Syracuse coach has a trademark game to look back on as a huge game in both that individual season and as a whole on the coach's Syracuse career. For Doug Marrone, it had to be the thrashing of Geno Smith and West Virginia in the Dome in 2011. For Scott Shafer, I believe it was the two-minute drive against Boston College to gain bowl eligibility in 2013.

So what could potentially be Dino Babers' signature win that puts him on the Syracuse map this season? Could it be against Notre Dame at MetLife Stadium on October 1st? How about a huge upset over Florida State in the Dome on November 19th?

In my mind, it's much, much simpler than that: beat Louisville in the Dome for the ACC opener.

Would history show a win over Florida State as a bigger landmark win than beating Louisville? Absolutely. But as far as generating fan buzz both locally and nationally, this is as big of a game as they come.

syracuse-football-coach-dino-babers-through-the-years-b846e084943e3d4a.jpg

Baylor needs a permanent football coach, will it be Syracuse’s Dino Babers? (the juice; Stechschulte)

One of the reasons Dino Babers made himself into a very attractive football coaching candidate for Syracuse was the relentless offense his teams used at Bowling Green and, before that, Eastern Illinois. The offensive attack Babers brings with him was one he learned while an assistant coach under Art Briles.

That is the same Art Briles who is no longer the head coach of the scandal-ridden football program at Baylor.

Briles was relieved of his coaching position less than three weeks ago and Baylor turned to Jim Grobe, the former Wake Forest head coach who was lured out of retirement to be the Bears’ acting head coach by Grant Teaff, the longtime Baylor head coach. Grobe is 64 years old and the title “acting head coach” does not suggest he will be hanging around Waco for a long time.

With a program and roster built around Briles’ offense and few acolytes of that style with head coaching experience, it is not a stretch to wonder if Baylor will ask Dino Babers to come back to where he spent four years as an assistant on the offensive side of the ball under Briles.

ODU Football welcomes more top-flight programs to campus (wtkr.com; Brown)

Sunday was the second camp of four that Old Dominion football has planned this summer. It's also the second camp with Power 5 conference schools in attendance.Last week, it was the University of Michigan and Alabama. This week, it's the University of Maryland and Florida.

More than 400 kids showed up to get coached and evaluated by college coaches of all levels. "All the kids in Hampton Roads know, they can go to Old Dominion's camp, they get looked at by Old Dominion, they get looked at by Michigan, they get looked at by Wake forest...they don't have to go to all of those schools individually," says ODU head coach Bobby Wilder.

The Monarchs have another camp scheduled for Thursday afternoon at Powhatan Field. Schools scheduled to attend include: Penn State, University of Virginia, and Syracuse University.

Other

0.jpg

UFC grappled with reporter, and the reporter won | Toronto Star (thestar.com; Mudhar)

Ariel Helwani felt like the loneliest man in the world walking out of The Forum in Inglewood, Calif., last Sunday morning.

It was 1: 30 a.m. and the MMA reporter has just been ejected from UFC 199 by Dana White, the Ultimate Fighting Championship president. Helwani supposedly had been banned for life from covering the organization’s events as punishment for breaking the news that Brock Lesnar was returning to the octagon at next month’s UFC 200.

“Can you imagine if Bob McKenzie was banned from every NHL arena? Because this is the UFC, this is the big leagues of MMA. That was a scary thought. I’m 33 and I have two kids. This was not a fun thing,” Helwani said from his Brooklyn home, looking back on what he described as a surreal experience.

Within 48 hours, after much fan backlash and support from several other members of the media, White and the UFC relented, and Helwani, a reporter for mmafighting.com, had his credentials back. (The site is part of the SB Nation network of sites and is owned by Vox Media.)

This UFC incident shows just how precarious the relationship between sports and the reporters who cover it can be, and underscores just how important access is now.

Helwani, who is from Montreal, is one of the most popular journalists covering the MMA. Fans have voted him MMA journalist of the year for the past five years. A graduate of Syracuse University’s S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, he really feels that it was the pressure from media and fans that forced the UFC’s hand into reinstating him.

Last edited:
Okay, help me out here.

Who is the guy with the square jaw on the far right? Heck, his whole head is square. I haven't seen this since the days of Blake Bednarz (see below). Or The Flintstones before that.

Anyway. if that is Andrejas Duerig, holy cow. A giant dude has become giant squared.

photo.jpg

Okay, help me out here.

Who is the guy with the square jaw on the far right? Heck, his whole head is square. I haven't seen this since the days of Blake Bednarz (see below). Or The Flintstones before that.

Anyway. if that is Andrejas Duerig, holy cow. A giant dude has become giant squared.

photo.jpg

LOL. For a minute I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. That's the one and only Colin James Byrne.

LOL. For a minute I couldn't figure out what you were talking about. That's the one and only Colin James Byrne.
Cool.

Based on his head shape, he is destined to be an AA.