Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
CHOCOLATE-CHIP-COOKIE-DAY-GRAPHIC-2014-1024x543-349x218_c.png

Welcome to National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!
  • Chocolate chip cookies, which were invented in 1933 when Ruth Graves Wakefield of the Toll House Inn in Whitman, Massachusetts added cut-up chunks of a semi-sweet Nestlé chocolate to a cookie recipe.
  • The cookies were a huge success, and Wakefield reached an agreement with Nestlé to add her recipe to the chocolate bar’s packaging in exchange for a lifetime supply of chocolate.
  • Initially, Nestlé included a small chopping tool with the chocolate bars, but in 1939 they started selling the chocolate in chip (or “morsel”) form.
  • The Nestlé brand Toll House cookies is named for the inn.
  • Originally, chocolate chips were made of only semi-sweet chocolate, but today there are many flavors.
SU News

Syracuse football preseason storylines, No. 1: How Syracuse adapts to Dino Babers' spread offense (DO; Libonati)

Dino Babers’ spread offense is headed for the Carrier Dome. With the youth on Syracuse’s offense, this year should prove to be just a taste of what future SU offenses will be able to do.

Even with players adjusting to a new offense, the Orange should at least be able to put together an offense that can at the compete with middle-of-the-pack Atlantic Coast Conference teams in 2016.

Having developed from the system Art Briles started at Stephenville (Texas) High School, Babers’ form of the spread will ramp up SU’s speed of play as he did as head coach at Eastern Illinois and Bowling Green. Last year, teams running the offense (Baylor, Bowling Green and Tulsa) averaged 85 plays per game.

At nearly every school the offense has been taken to — Houston, Baylor, Tulsa and Eastern Illinois — there’s been an immediate improvement. Bowling Green suffered a one-year, two-win drop off, but reached 10 wins, like it had the year before Babers arrived, in his second season.

The Carrier Dome turf, save for Doug Marrone’s shotgun offense — it was created weeks before the 2012 season and was predicated on the formation — has been accustomed to “Northeast football.” Under center, running-based offenses.

Syracuse football preseason storylines, No. 2: Who slots in at defensive end? (DO; Libonati)

The interior of Syracuse’s defensive line should be settled. Chris Slayton, Steven Clark and Kayton Samuels will likely form a good enough crew to stop interior runs and give a bit of a pass rush.

But how the defensive end melee pans out will determine the quality of the front four. None of the ends in contention have played significant time on the line at the Division I level.

The post-spring depth chart listed Kenneth Ruff, an early enrollee freshman, and Trey Dunkelberger, a converted tight end, on one side position. Redshirt freshman Jake Pickard and senior walk-on Hernz Laguerre are listed at the other.

Since the end of spring ball, Syracuse grabbed Colorado transfer De’Jon Wilson, who played in 22 games as a reserve for the Buffaloes in 2013 and 2014. The Orange will also pick up three potential defensive ends from the 2016 recruiting class in Jaquwan Nelson, Josh Black and Kendall Coleman.

Syracuse football preseason storylines, No. 3: Can Eric Dungey stay in the pocket? (DO; Libonati)

Even for a freshman, Eric Dungey took his lumps. He missed contests with several “upper-body injuries” after absorbing many hits to the head. Former head coach Scott Shafer even left him in a Lousiville matchup after the result was aforegone conclusion, subjecting the young quarterback to more damage than was necessary.

The young quarterback responded accordingly in the spring, saying he’d like to be a bit smarter when it comes to darting out of the pocket.

Whether he can resist the temptation to scramble as much or hurdle defenders will play big into how good Syracuse’s offense is this season.

With Dungey, the offense should take a step forward. The excitement of Dino Babers’ spread offense mixed with the anticipation of Dungey’s improvement has created some level of expectation.

Without Dungey, Syracuse will sputter. The Orange defense is expected to take something of a step back, which will put the onus on Syracuse’s offense. Add in not having the team’s best quarterback in an offense that will be expected to throw more than it has in the past, and that’s a recipe for disaster.

qS_I9UIU_400x400.jpg

High school football: Canton McKinley senior Kadeem Trotter pledges to play football at Syracuse (ohio.com; Beaven)

Canton McKinley senior Kadeem Trotter is planning to head to New York for college.

Trotter, who is 6-foot-2 and 195 pounds, committed to play football on scholarship at Syracuse University. He said Syracuse recruited him to play outside linebacker/strong safety after he helped guide the Bulldogs to a Division I playoff appearance last season as a junior.

“The relationship I have with the coaches at Syracuse is great,” Trotter said. “They were the first Power 5 school to offer. They offered me back around April and I feel like this is a great opportunity.

“There were a lot of great schools that talked to me, but I think the coaches at Syracuse stood out the most.”

Trotter said he also received scholarship offers from Iowa State, Boston College, Akron, Toledo, Bowling Green, Kent State, Ohio, Miami (Ohio) and Ball State.

Trotter, 17, earned varsity letters at McKinley as a freshman and junior. He did not play his sophomore year. He said he earned a 3.8 grade-point average in the spring. He is undecided on a major in college.

Cathedral Prep star Bauer bound for Notre Dame (goerie.com; Copper)

Cathedral Prep linebacker Matt Bauer was so eager to play football for Notre Dame that he didn't even wait for his junior year to commit.

Bauer, who received his first Division I scholarship offer as a freshman, verbally committed Wednesday to play for the Fighting Irish and coach Brian Kelly.

The 6-foot 3-inch, 215-pound linebacker, an all-state selection as a sophomore last season, announced his decision in a news release sent by Prep athletic director Bill Flanagan.

"I am excited to announce that I have committed to the University of Notre Dame to continue my football and academic career, and the opportunity to play Division I football is truly phenomenal,” Bauer said. “The guidance and support that I have received from coach Mike Mischler and (baseball) coach Dave Hess has been and continues to be so very important to me.

"Last but not least, I want to thank all the schools and their coaching staffs who had the belief in me to offer me the opportunity to be a part of their football families.”

Bauer also was offered scholarships by the likes of Penn State, Michigan State, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Syracuse and many others.

He will continue a long line of Prep stars who have played football for Notre Dame. Among the most notable were Tony Zambroski in the 1940s, Jim Schaaf in the 1950s, Mike McCoy in the 1960s and Rick Kaczenski in the 1990s.

Bauer started at linebacker as a freshman, recording 36 tackles, which was the third highest total on the team.

HOF 2016: Low-key Harrison let productivity speak volumes (mcall.com; Marot)

arvin Harrison often stood silently in the corner of the Indianapolis Colts' locker room. He didn't need to utter a word.

The numbers spoke for themselves, and he was content playing the quiet, productive guy in a league full of trash-talking, flamboyant receivers.

Harrison's low-key, old-school approach fit perfectly with Peyton Manning in Indy and led the wiry receiver down a Hall of Fame path that ends with Saturday night's induction ceremony in Canton, Ohio.

"There have been some very, very good receivers, but Marvin was special," Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri said of his former teammate. "He was one of a kind."

On the field, he was a defensive coordinator's worst nightmare.

Harrison could embarrass cornerbacks with uncanny hips that made every route look the same. Opponents feared the move while Colts' teammates often tried — and failed — to emulate it.

The Syracuse product looked as comfortable going over the middle as he was going deep, and he had a penchant for making spectacular plays seem routine.

Syracuse football: Clemson road tickets, tailgate & parking (plus Atlanta bus info) (TNIAAM; Cassillo/TexanMark)

(the following is a guest post from Orange tailgating guru Texan Mark)

Once again TNIAAM will be joining forces with SyracuseFan.com to assist with game tickets, tailgating and parking for Syracuse Orangefootball fans to watch SU visit the Clemson Tigers this fall.

Unfortunately, Clemson has ended the group rate for us this year but we worked a backup plan with the SU Ticket Office to seat Orange fans together in the visitors' section (thanks for the assist, Mark P.). The bad news is tickets are list price, and Syracuse has no control over pricing. Tickets are $60 apiece in our designated section, plus a $10 processing fee for the entire order.

Still, here is your two step process:

First, the link for tickets:MyCuse Account
(Your promo code is SUFANS16)

Update: Email Mark about the link, which he'll need to forward your way (texanmarktailgate@gmail.com)

Second, parking is $30 and the tailgate is $10 (kids 12 and under free) plus a 3-percent processing fee is at http://www.syracusetailgates.com.

Parking is at a premium in Clemson but the great news is we'll own all the spots at St. Andrews Catholic Church and will have access to indoor plumbing. This is the same placed we used in 2014 and it had a good flow for after-game traffic in 2014.

For our Atlanta-based fans or folks flying into ATL for the game, a bus trip is being planned from Smyrna, Ga. (Atlanta suburb). It is being run by Siracusa's NY Pizzeria (Atlanta's Cuse fan spot). The bus will leave early enough to enjoy some tailgating at our church parking lot and leave shortly after the game. Kickoff time will be determined about two weeks before the game. For additional info: Phone (770) 432-7454 -- ask for Dave Cappotto the owner, or email him at dave@siracusas.com.

usa-today-9412412.0.jpg

Where are former Syracuse Orange football players for NFL training camps? (TNIAAM; Menefee)

Let's scope out what some Syracuse pros are facing during training camp this season.

The NFL's 2016 season is underway with all teams now hosting their training camps. Let's take a look at where some formerSyracuse Orange players are at the moment and where they could be at the end of training camp.

Jay Bromley, DT/New York Giants
Bromley is currently on the physically unable to perform list. He underwent surgery for bone spurs, according to Tom Rock of Newsday. It seems it could be awhile before he's healthy, but he's expected to play in one preseason game. He was drafted by the Giants in 2014 in the third round. Last year, he played in all 16 games, starting in four of them. He made 36 total tackles ( 19 of which were solo). His best performance came against the Eagles in the last game of the season.

Eric Crume, DT/Carolina Panthers
Crume was picked up as an undrafted free agent by the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2015, but was let go after a few months. He spent a week with the Green Bay Packers practice squad before signing a futures contract with the Panthers early this year. The Panthers defense was one of the best in the NFL last season, particularly in stopping the run, so Crume will have to show his full potential as a pass rusher if he wants to stick around in Carolina. It's not unlikely that he could bounce around some more before he finds a home where he can breakout.

Other

-5200c21e171bee2c.JPG

A bistro, a lounge, a steakhouse, a pub: When will Hotel Syracuse's new dining spots open? (PS; Cazentre)

It will have five kitchens and five bars, three restaurants and three ballrooms.

That includes a Finger Lakes-themed bistro, an Irish pub, and two cocktail lounges on the lower floors and a classy steakhouse and bar on the top floor. And yet most of the food service will be dedicated to the banquet facilities.

It's all coming together over the next few months at the newly renovated Hotel Syracuse / Marriott Syracuse Downtown.

The food and dining options won't open all at once. Of the three full-service restaurants, the first up is Eleven Waters, the bistro on the ground floor. It could be open in mid-August. The Irish pub, called Shaughnessy's, is expected to debut in October. The Legacy Steakhouse on the 11th floor is aiming for November. (See more details and schedule below).

This month, hotel owner Ed Riley plans to reopen the hotel to the public as the 261-room Marriott Syracuse Downtown, following a $70 million renovation and historical restoration. Opened in 1924, the hotel closed in 2004 and was acquired by Riley in 2014.

Last edited:
On Clemson, SU threw me a curve ball on the ticket link. It can't be cut n pasted and must be forwarded via email. You can use my own link for tickets or go directly through SU or secondary market for your tickets. However we would love to have you buy parking and tailgating through us to make this a success.