Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
fail_big_national_failures_day_postcard-r0defe8ead478433c951eeab4ddd91c92_vgbaq_8byvr_630.jpg

Welcome to National Failures Day!

The National Failures Day is celebrated on the same day as the National Relaxation Day. The relationship is quite simple. Failures are a part of everybody’s life. So this day has been set aside so we can acknowledge our failures and make efforts to learn from them and move ahead with a positive attitude.

On this day we can takes steps to teach our children the importance and significance of failure in life. Also to instill confidence in ourselves and our children and telling them to not stop trying for the fear of failure. It is to make them aware that failures are the stepping stones to success.

Another important fact of failure is that just because we have failed at something, does not mean that we deny ourselves the right to relax. Sometimes we might be trying so hard to get a particular job done that we forget to relax. This day also reminds us that we must relax.

On the flip side may be we are relaxing more and hence we might be failing more often. Behind every failure is a learning.

SU News

Full_Campus_Rendering.0.0.JPG

Syracuse campus renovation plan might restrict Orange fan tailgating options (TNIAAM; Keeley)

Chris Carlson checked in this week with a look into how the Syracuse University campus renovation plan is going to reorganize certain aspects of life in the region, specifically how it will affect tailgating before Syracuse Orange game.

Turns out that the already-iffy setup might get even more iffy.

The proposed plan would eliminate the Stadium, Standart and Fine parking lots. All three of those areas are currently prime tailgating areas around the Carrier Dome for football games.

Syracuse Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer Pete Sala said the proposal would replace those areas with a substantial parking garage located near the back of where the Standart and Fine Lots are currently located.

As Carlson puts it, it might come down to fans making a choice between convenient parking near the Dome without a full tailgate or open space for grilling and tailgating far away near South Campus. Right now SU allows fans to tailgate in the Irving Garage and University Avenue garage close to the Dome but grilling is not allowed.

Pete Sala said that the university is still reviewing feedback about their plans and that the school will continue to push for fans to tailgate at the Skytop lot or join the quad experience, which will be improved by then.

Syracuse Football: Dino Babers really does not like people who eat grapes (TNIAAM; Keeley)

We're a full week into 2016 Syracuse Orange football fall practice and Dino Babers is getting his team prepared for the grueling schedule ahead.

He also seems to really dislike people who enjoy the taste of grapes.

He introduced us to his fruit-related concerns back during ACC Kickoff.

Dino Babers on Syracuse: "I think we're Jon Snow, keeping the ice people out. The others are down south, eating grapes."

— David Hale (@DavidHaleESPN)
July 22, 2016

He doubled down when asked about the challenges that come with being a dome team that will have to head south to play outdoors. Babers isn't too worried about all those grape-eaters.

"We’re getting ready to play all those guys that are eating grapes down in the South."

Saturday, Babers talked about how the team's first scrimmage in the Dome went and sure enough the thing he was most excited about was SU's lack of grape appreciation.

"I thought the tempo was extremely good. I thought it was physical. There was some good hitting out there, which is important when you're trying to get ready for a tough conference like the ACC. It was nice and humid in the Carrier Dome, just the way we like it. Although we didn't have the sun in our face and grapes in our mouth, I thought we got better today."

Syracuse Football: Steve Ishmael the most underutilized player in college football (saturdayblitz.com; Esden Jr)

The Syracuse football program is entering a new era under new head coach Dino Babers, and wide receiver Steve Ishmael can help make this transition a success.

The Syracuse football program has been in an aura of ineptitude for the last decade plus. With the firing of Scott Shafer, the Syracuse program got a much needed face lift.

Now with Dino Babers entering the fold he brings with him a tampa-two scheme on defense that relies upon getting after the quarterback with minimal blitzing. While on offense, the slogan of “Orange is the New Fast” has gone viral with the fan base.

Babers wants to implement a high-tempo spread offense that can get after defenses and test their conditioning. To do that he’s going to need to recruit players that can fit his schemes, but there’s at least one player on the team that’s already embracing the offensive philosophy change.

Steve Ishmael, a North Miami Beach, Fla., native is entering his Junior year with the Orange. Ishmael stands at 6’2 and weighs 210 pounds and his career thus far has been detailed by high potential, but little results.

CpwFRIBWIAAAl69.0.0.jpg

Syracuse Athletics yard sale: What'd y'all get? (TNIAAM; Keeley)

FanFest was cancelled but the Syracuse Athletics yard sale went off without a hitch. Well, perhaps the only hitch is that so many people wanted to get their hands on that Syracuse Orange gear that the crowds were described as "total chaos."

#NewManleyZoo pic.twitter.com/KEoIetsR9d

— P-- (@PaulieDars) August 13, 2016

The conditions in the #NewManleyZoo have been designed to mirror those in the Malaysian sweatshops in which these clothes were made.

— P-- (@PaulieDars) August 13, 2016

The offerings ranged from game-used sneakers to game-worn football jerseys to game-worn just about everything else. So let's find out what those who made it inside were able to take with them.

Sidenote: The most fascinating thing in the sale was the fact that, while SU is not allowed to sell jerseys with current player names on them, they are allowed to sell jerseys with names of players who transferred and are still playing. So you could buy an A.J. Long jersey with "Long" on the back and that's totally cool. Reminder: The NCAA is dumb.

Orange defense transitions to new Tampa-2 scheme under Babers, Ward (cnycentral.com; Hauswirth)

Defense has become a point of emphasis under Dino Babers.

Under Scott Shafer and the previous Syracuse University football coaching regime, defense was also a point of emphasis. Shafer was considered one of the top defensive coordinators at the college level, but after a year in which the Orange finished dead last in the ACC's total defense category, it was decided by former Athletic Director Mark Coyle to make a change.

With the addition of Babers as head coach also came the addition of a brand new defensive scheme. The Orange will run the Tampa-2 defense, which resembles the 4-3 defense. It features four down linemen, three linebackers, two cornerbacks and another pair of safeties. However, the middle linebacker is used as a roaming spy across the field, unafraid to drop back into pass coverage.

Babers, a coach who made his mark on the offensive side of the ball, first witnessed the Tampa-2 defense ran to perfection by North Dakota State University at the FCS level. Babers once coached at Eastern Illinois, which then featured the top offense at the FCS level, whereas North Dakota State was tops on the defensive side.

Other

-94387318ba93e84f.jpg

DEC proposes new trails for hiking, biking, cross-country skiing in Upstate NY (PS; AP)

The Department of Environmental Conservation has released a report proposing numerous new hiking, mountain biking and cross-country ski trails in the southern Adirondacks.

The report covers a 2-million-acre region designated as the Great South Woods. It includes Hamilton County and parts of Essex, Warren, Herkimer, Fulton and Saratoga counties.

The report was created through an 18-month process that included extensive community participation. The State University College of Environmental Science and Forestry led the collaboration.

Recommendations include a 10-mile cross-country ski trail in Long Lake, a 39-mile circuit of almost entirely new trail along the Hudson and Boreas Rivers, and a 48-mile circuit starting in Piseco Lake.

The report is available on the DEC website.

it will be nice to see less mistakes out of the WR and hopefully the DBs too.. so many issues last year were not caused by play calling but by poor technique and mental mistakes that so far it sounds like these coaches are really harping on.

Matt Park ‏@MattPark1 3m3 minutes ago
Can't wait to check it out. Looking forward to being there weekly for @CoachBabersCuse & @therealboeheim Shows.

My grandmother had a clothing store in the Hotel for forty years. I spent a lot of time there from the day I was born.

I attended the opening event a few weeks ago.

The Hotel is nothing short of spectacular.

The attention to detail is remarkable.

The Grand Ballroom is as good as I have ever seen - anywhere.

It's really nice to see that the University is committed to supporting what is a very special part of Central New York.

It will be a lot of fun having the coaches' shows there.

My grandmother had a clothing store in the Hotel for forty years. I spent a lot of time there from the day I was born.

I attended the opening event a few weeks ago.

The Hotel is nothing short of spectacular.

The attention to detail is remarkable.

The Grand Ballroom is as good as I have ever seen - anywhere.

It's really nice to see that the University is committed to supporting what is a very special part of Central New York.

It will be a lot of fun having the coaches' shows there.
My Grandmother shopped in your Grandmothers' store so I remember it.

The University of Tennessee declined to release correspondence related to the paid administrative leave of Chris Spognardi, director of football operations, citing an “ongoing audit.” UT did release Spognardi’s personnel file to the News Sentinel on Monday as part of the same public records request. The athletic department placed Spognardi on paid administrative leave last Tuesday and described the action on Wednesday as a “personnel matter,” according to Jacob Rudolph, interim UT vice chancellor for communications. Spognardi was relieved of his duties after a financial audit found irregularities related to his job, a source with knowledge of the situation told the News Sentinel. The source requested anonymity because the investigation by the university is not complete and could not be discussed publicly.

My Grandmother shopped in your Grandmothers' store so I remember it.

That's great!

Thanks for sharing. I'll let my mom know - she'll get a kick out of hearing about your grandmother.