Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Tuesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
images.jpeg

Welcome to Buttered Corn Day!

August 23rd means it's Buttered Corn Day and I don't know about you but I could make a pig of myself with buttered sweet corn. Especially if it's cooked on the grill. Even if it's not, just give me a bowl of hot corn and melted butter with a big fat spoon and I'm happy.

I was reading about the Health benefits of corn and wikipedia says "
Cooked sweet corn has significant antioxidant activity, which can substantially reduce the chance of heart disease and cancer. " Cooked sweet corn retains its antioxidant activity, The scientists measured the antioxidants' ability to quench free radicals, which cause damage to the body from oxidation. Cooked sweet corn also releases increased levels of ferulic acid, which provides health benefits, such as battling cancer. "When you cook it, you release it, and what you are losing in vitamin C, you are gaining in ferulic acid and total antioxidant activity.""

Nice health benefits! So lets eat more corn!

SU News

maxresdefault.jpg

Sneak Peak- One on One with Syracuse Football's Dino Babers (video; cnycentral.com; Tamurian)

The Dino Babers may have officially began December 7, 2015 but it gets real on September 2, 2016.

That's when the Syracuse Orange hosts Colgate in its season opener, its first game with Babers in charge.

On September 1, we're bringing you our annual season preview "The Orange Zone" which continues every Thursday during the season with Damien Rhodes as my co-host.

As part of our special, I go one-on-one with Babers for his take on the team 10 days out from the season opener.

One question I had, refers to one of Babers' quotes during his introductory press conference:

"One of the movies that will always grab me is Apollo 13. You know when the carbon dioxide was going up and all they had was this box of stuff – and they came in and threw the box on the table and said, ‘What is that stuff?’ They said, 'Well that is what they got up there and we need to figure out how to get that carbon dioxide down.' I take great pride in coming into a football team and looking at the ‘stuff’ and finding out a way to make it successful" Babers said.

streambe_9be1ba42-df54-32e5-983c-5907fd3757a8--1306216346.jpeg

SU focusing on finishing camp strong (video; localsyr.com; Infanti)

Although the season opener against Colgate is less than two weeks away, the Syracuse University football team isn’t focused on the Raiders just yet.

Instead, the players are concentrating on finishing camp strong.

They have two practices left before formal game planning begins on Thursday.

"At the end of the day what we do in practice is going to determines how we are going to play in the game. I feel like we are having good days at practice and it is definitely going to translate to the game. It is nothing to stress over. Just continue working as a team,” said SU junior wide receiver Steve Ishmael.

"You know just stay focused and stay on a mission. Just really do your job to the best of your ability. We have been excited. We have been itching to get out there since summer workouts started. I'm just ready,” said sophomore quarterback Eric Dungey.

Friday’s opener is slated for 7 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 2 at the Carrier Dome.

A look at first-year college football coaches (latimes.com; Dougherty)

Editor's Note: It appears Jesse Dougherty, longtime writer for the DO who graduated from Syracuse in May, has landed a job with the LA Times. Congrats Jesse!

Somewhere along the line, the annual shuffling of college football coaches started being referred to as the “coaching carousel.”

Actually, it can appear more like a game of musical chairs. You could also call it a swap meet.

Mark Richt is out at Georgia, and in at Miami. Kirby Smart is no longer Nick Saban’s right-hand man at Alabama; he’s now in charge at Southeastern Conference rival Georgia.

Miami: Mark Richt

After 15 seasons and two Southeastern Conference titles with Georgia, Mark Richt left the Bulldogs after he and the school reached a “mutual agreement.”

Richt later indicated that it wasn’t his choice, but it led him one state south to coach Miami, where as a player he once backed up NFL Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly.

Richt takes over for Larry Scott, who took over for Al Golden after he was fired in the wake of a 4-3 start to 2015. Miami returns a few talented playmakers, and has an experienced quarterback in Brad Kaaya. But a handful of question marks on defense should bar the Hurricanes from contention for an Atlantic Coast Conference championship for at least one more season.
The rest of the shuffle:

Syracuse (4-8)

In: Dino Babers. Out: Scott Shafer.

Reason: Performance

College football preview: N.C. State - 5 players to watch, 2-minute drill, schedulel (fayobserver.com; Staff)

Here are five players to watch this season for the N.C. State Wolfpack

The All-American: Jaylen Samuels
Position: H-back
Class: Junior

About Samuels: One of the most versatile players in the ACC, Samuels was a first-team all-league pick and third-team All-American last season. He was N.C. State's top receiver and third-leading rusher, while producing 16 touchdowns.

The Natural: Nyheim Hines
Position: Wide receiver-runningback
Class: Sophomore

About Hines: Whether running out of the backfield, catching passes out wide or returning kicks, Hines can do it all. He produced 1,419 all-purpose yards last season, the second-highest total ever by a freshman.

The Hit Man: Bradley Chubb
Position: Defensive end
Class: Junior

About Chubb: After starting his career at linebacker, Chubb shifted to defensive end during spring drills and enjoyed a banner 2015 season. He ranked second in team tackles (69), tackles for loss (12) and sacks (5.5).

Deep stable of running backs gives Virginia plenty of options (pilotonline.com; Miller)

Mark Atuaia’s options were limited. As running backs coach at Brigham Young last season, his choices came down to big – a 220-pound “speed” back – and bigger – a 235-pound lead runner.

The Cougars at times also used a 235-pound hybrid fullback/H-back.

Atuaia simulated the look at a recent Virginia practice, when 210-pound Albert Reid and 225-pound Connor Wingo-Reeves lined up in the backfield. For all their attributes – Reid is a tough inside runner and Wingo-Reeves has made a name as a blocker and occasional receiver – neither is likely to win a foot race among the Cavalier backs.

Pairing the two triggered a flashback of sorts for the Cavaliers’ new running backs coach.

“That’s exactly what I worked with over there at BYU,” he said.

But at Virginia, by comparison, Atuaia’s got a tantalizing number of options. On an offense with competition at quarterback, questions about depth on the offensive line and early injuries at receiver, the running back position is a relative bastion of variety, stability and experience.

Syracuse football: Injuries prevent several defensive backs from practice (TNIAAM; Cassillo)

The Syracuse Orange football team returned to on-campus practice after spending Sunday at Fort Drum. And there were several players absent from drills. As Syracuse.com’s Nate Mink reported, four different defensive backs — CB Wayne Morgan, S Rodney Williams, S Evan Foster, S Evan Clarke — were in street clothes with undisclosed injuries. Additionally, receivers Alvin Cornelius and Clay Austin were also on the sidelines.

Morgan, Williams and Cornelius have all seen injury problems in their past at SU, while Clarke has been in a sling for at least a week or two. The staff has yet to provide a firm update on each players’ condition and status with regard to the season opener against Colgate.

Stephen Bailey also brought some additional observations in terms of on-the-field action. Particularly, with regard to the field goal block unit, the team will use defensive backs to apply pressure from the edge. He provides a quick snapshot here:

Syracuse also worked on FG/FG block. Looks like CBs Corey Winfield and Cordell Hudson will come around the edge. pic.twitter.com/tFpcJqqCy2

— Stephen Bailey (@Stephen_Bailey1) August 22, 2016
Elsewhere, Bailey noted a couple different players working with new/non-natural position groups on the morning. Those included:

• Linebacker Kyle Kleinberg with tight ends
  • Wide receiver Jacob Hill with running backs (where he played last year)
  • Safety Scoop Bradshaw with wide receivers (where he was late last week too)
  • Wide receiver Devin Butler with running backs
  • Running back Moe Neal with wide receivers
Syracuse football: Why the Orange will finish 3-9 (TNIAAM; Suxa)

Ed. Note - This week, TNIAAM writers are taking a stab at telling you why this football team will finish with a specific record, so don't get all huffy about this prediction. Yet.

Monday: 3-9 (Suxa)
Tuesday: 4-8 (James Szuba)
Wednesday: 5-7 (Ari Gilberg)
Thursday: 6-6 (John)
Friday: 7-5 (Sean)

". . . and the comments section burned that day. The takes -- they were destructive. Everywhere you looked there were commenters -- good, decent commenters that had families and ate balanced diets -- engulfed in suffocating rage, suffering white-H0T Takes from all angles. The site was never the same after that; the scars of The Great Disloyal Idiot Persecution were impossible to hide as the takes cut far too deep."

- An excerpt from my future eulogy of Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician, recalling the day that I wrote a piece that made a case for Syracuse football to go 3-9 in 2016.

STEP ONE: COUNT THE BODY BAGS

September 2, 2016: Colgate (Syracuse, NY)
Colgate's last win against Syracuse on the football field came in 1950, a 19-14 squeaker over the Orange. The Raiders put arsenic in Syracuse's water jugs that day and the result remains in dispute and tied up in the New York court system. Colgate coined the term "HOODOO" after the win, but all nonpartisan witnesses have a different term for the Raiders' nail-biting victory -- Attempted Manslaughter.

Aside: A Syracuse triumph in the opener will even its series record against Colgate to 31-31-5. What a time to be alive!

James Knapke's story never involved quitting - Sports - News-Sentinel.com (news-sentinel.com; Davis)

There is a lot to like about James Knapke as a person. The former Bishop Luers High School football standout is a clean-cut, articulate, polite as a politician, young man that is a great representative of both his former school (Bishop Luers) and current one (Bowling Green).

As an athlete, he also possesses a number of positive attributes. Knapke has the size (6-foot-2, 228 pounds), athleticism, and arm strength to scare the bejesus out of the rest of the Mid-American Conference. But his most endearing trait just might be the fact that this is a guy that won’t quit when challenged.

“Once you quit one time,” Knapke told The News-Sentinel last month at the MAC Media Day, “it becomes easier.”

Knapke wouldn’t know that for certain, because he hasn’t quit while at Bowling Green, when perhaps, others would have if faced with similar circumstances.

His journey to the Falcons’ starting quarterback position for the 2016 season has been a circuitous one, and there are any number of players that don’t have the fortitude to be standing where Knapke is today.

“When I came out of high school,” Knapke explained, “BG was my only offer. So to me, I’ve always thought ‘There is a reason why I am here.’”

That “reason” became clear in the fall of 2014 when the most prolific passer in Bowling Green history (Matt Johnson) injured his hip in the first game of the season and the program looked to Knapke to salvage it.

In just the second start of his career, then-redshirt sophomore Knapke led the Falcons to a thrilling 45-42 win over Indiana, in record-setting fashion. He completed 46 passes in 73 attempts (both Bowling Green records) and his final completion was a touchdown pass with nine seconds remaining to seal the historic win.

“I took it upon myself that I was going to come in here and I was going to fight (for the job),” Knapke said. “I was going to make it difficult for Matt to keep his job.”

Other

W

New VIP pass at NY State Fair midway lets you skip the long lines (PS; Coin)

If you don't like standing in line (who does?) for rides at the New York State Fair, you can buy a VIP pass this year to get you to the front of the line.

For the first time at the fair, the Gold Access pass will be sold for $10 a person on weekdays, and $15 on weekend days. The pass, worn on a lanyard around your neck, will let you get to the front of rides at the fair, which runs Thursday to Labor Day. Each pass is good for one day.

A maximum of about 1,000 passes will be sold each day at the midway ticket booths, said Ron Weber, spokesman for Midway operator Wade Shows. It's first-come, first-served.

"Obviously, the earlier you get there the more likely you are to get one," Weber said. "I don't expect they'll sell out the first year, though."

Wade has used the pass for years at other shows, Weber said. The company sets aside a certain number of seats on each ride for Gold Access members.

"If a ride has, let's say, 20 seats, up to four seats could be for Gold Access," he said.

The pass is also good for 10 percent discounts at participating midway vendors.