Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Thursday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
national-chili-day-banner.jpg

Welcome to National Chili Day!

According to Doug Koegeboehn, chief marketing officer for Wienerschnitzel, the list of “Top 10 Chili Cities” includes not only expected chili capitals in the Southwest but other markets like Los Angeles, Chicago, Cincinnati and Springfield, Mo., known more for seafood, Midwest comfort food or ethnic dishes than the American classic dish.

The survey ranked Los Angeles atop the list, followed by Dallas; Phoenix; Houston; San Francisco/Oakland; Chicago; Baton Rouge, La.; Springfield, Mo.; Cincinnati; and San Antonio who is credited with first popularizing chili in the 1890s, rounded out the top 10.

SU News

Watch wide receivers at Syracuse Spring football practice (video) - YouTube

201707261121-0003-552c3640c3f5160a.jpg

Which Syracuse football players should have their jerseys honored? (PS; Mink)

Syracuse football ranks 23rd in all-time victories among major Division I programs.

That rich history includes several college football and pro football hall of fame inductees, All-America recipients and great players in Big East history and when the program competed as an independant.

But only a small number of players have gotten special recognition by the university in the form of a jersey retirement. This fall, former running back Joe Morris will have his No. 47 jersey raised to the rafters of the Carrier Dome, becoming the fifth player in program history to have his jersey retired.

Like the previous jersey retirements for Syracuse football, the jersey number is notbeing removed from rotation -- which probably comes as a relief to senior long snapper Matt Keller.

Congratulations to Joe Morris! @CuseFBEquipment does this mean I need a new number? #47Forever Syracuse Athletics on Twitter

— Matt Keller (@_mk47__) February 17, 2018

Syracuse has continued to award jersey Nos. 5, 9, 88 and 39 despite retiring the jerseys of Donovan McNabb, Don McPherson, John Mackey and Larry Csonka.

Even the famed (and retired) No. 44 could return to the field one day. A small committee was formed to determine which player could wear it, but a player would only be awarded the number under special circumstances. No player has worn No. 44 since Rob Konrad in 1998.

Wake Forest sets sights on division title in 2018 (espn; Hale)

Over the next few weeks, we'll be chatting with each ACC football coach to go over the highs and lows of 2017 and take a look at what's in store for spring practice and the season ahead.
Next up, Wake Forest coach Dave Clawson, who returns the bulk of an offense that proved to be one of the ACC's most explosive last year.

The way the 2017 season unfolded, was the step forward -- particularly on offense -- even something you saw coming?

Clawson: It was a huge jump on offense. I thought we'd get better. Certainly the step we made exceeded even my expectations. I thought we were capable of it, but certainly the second half of the year, we really found our identity. John [Wolford] played lights out, and the improvement on the offensive line was huge. The kicking game was probably a neutral for us, and we probably regressed a little bit on defense.

The simple fact that you had some guys who could make big plays -- that's not something you had before.

Clawson: Look at the year before I got here when they lost Mike Campanaro. We've built depth, we've recruited well. Greg [Dortch] or Tabari [Hines] or Scotty Washington stepping up. Alex Bachman and Cam Serigne had a great year. But the biggest thing was the improvement of the offensive line. Those guys allowed all that to happen. It's never one thing.

Syracuse Orange Gift Guide: 10 must-have Fan Cave items (itlh.com; Cunningham)

Syracuse Orange fans know the importance of a fan cave. A special place where a group of buddies can watch the game. But every now and then, those caves need upgrading. We’re here to help. Use this handy gift guide – and Fanatics’ full line of Syracuse items – to keep your fan cave looking great.

Syracuse Orange 50″ X 60″ Label Plush Blanket
Sometimes the fan cave can get a little chilly. When that happens, make sure you have this Syracuse blanket ready to go.

Occasionally, It Happens - West Virginia University (wvusports.com; Antonik)

(the brawl was actually started by a late hit from a Mountaineer, one of many they made during the game)

As I was watching (and counting) each time a Kansas player marched to the foul throw line to take another free throw during last Saturday's stinging 77-69 loss in Allen Fieldhouse, my thoughts drifted to some other notorious games through the years when the zebras drew the ire of Mountaineer fans.

The one that immediately came to mind was the Syracuse football debacle in 1992 when John Soffey and his Six Blind Mice completely bungled a bench-clearing brawl that was started by Syracuse quarterback Marvin Graves and resulted in the ejections of three key West Virginia defenders.

Meanwhile, the guy who caused the fracas - Graves - remained in the game to throw the winning touchdown pass.

"What was fair about that game?" Mike Collins, one of the guys thrown out, recalled in 2012. "Me getting pummeled by five different guys - all wearing jersey numbers 70 or higher - and getting kicked out of the game? My backup came in during the last two minutes and they get a pass interference call on a fourth down, which was BS?

"Again, what was fair about that game?"

Other

032800-oha-2jpg-e92f9078f7a2e531.jpg

History in a glass: Syracuse's iconic Congress Beer to make a comeback (PS; Cazentre)

A blast from Syracuse’s rich brewing past will return this summer when the Onondaga Historical Association partners with a local craft brewer to launch a new version of the once iconic Congress Beer.

The new Congress Beer will be made by Willow Rock Brewing Co., a small but growing craft brewery that opened in January 2016 at 115 Game Road, off Ainsley Drive south of the Syracuse University campus.

Congress, once brewed by the Haberle Brewery on Syracuse’s North Side, was the last of the “old school” pre-craft era beers made in Syracuse. For much of 20th century, it was Syracuse’s equivalent to regional lagers like Genesee of Rochester, Iroquois or Simon Pure of Buffalo and Utica Club of Utica.

Photo: The Congress Beer tray is a replica of a vintage one in the collection of the Onondaga Historical Association. The pilsner beer glasses are adorned with the same Congress Beer style script. Photo courtesy of Onondaga Historical Association.

Nice to hear some good Dakota Davis buzz. Already has nice size and a mean streak IIRC. FINALLY, OL Depth on the upswing.