Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Welcome to Lost Sock Memorial Day!

How often have you reached into your sock drawer or laundry basket, perplexed to find one sock, but not the one that matches it? Chances are that you have held onto your lone socks, with hopes that someday their matches would return. Lost Sock Memorial Day is for looking for those lost socks one last time, honoring them, and then letting go by throwing away or putting to another use those unpaired socks that have been lingering in your sock drawer.

Lost Sock Memorial Day is being observed today! It has always been observed annually on May 9th.

SU News

Syracuse Football: Top 10 players to watch out for in 2018 (itlh.com; Esden Jr)

With the 2018 Syracuse football season still a few months away, it seemed like an appropriate time to dissect the top 10 players to keep an eye out for.

The snow has finally disappeared from Central New York which has many Syracuse football fans thinking of the 2018 season. This will be Dino Babers third year at the helm and the most anticipated yet.

So many questions and so few answers. Can the Orange finally get back to a bowl game? Will Eric Dungey stay healthy for a full season for the first time ever? Who will replace all the production that was lost to the NFL?

We’ll try to answer as many of those as possible by revealing our top 10 players to watch out for next season. Some of the names you’ll recognize and some of them you won’t. The point of this list is to get you ready for the season and to show you a couple of names that you don’t know much about and to learn more about them.

Before we get into this list, we’ll start with a honorable mention. Two talented transfers in Trishton Jackson and Abdul Adams would’ve certainly been featured on this list, but they can’t because this is a top-10 list for ‘2018’ not ‘2019’. Because of transfer rules both of these offensive talents will have to wait until 2019 to show what they’re made of. With that being said, it’s time to take a nose dive into what’s to come for the dome dudes!

dungey.jpeg

How can Eric Dungey Increase his Draft Stock this Season? – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Edelstein)

Tagged as one of the top quarterbacks in the ACC over the past three years, Eric Dungey now enters his final season with the Syracuse Orange.

From the moment he took over for Terrel Hunt midway through the first quarter of the first game of 2015, Dungey has left his mark.

We have seen him throw for more than 300 yards in games. We have seen him lead the team in rushing. We have seen him jump over people (and sometimes just attempt to jump over people). We have seen him lead his team to two victories over ranked opponents (Virginia Tech in 2016 and Clemson in 2017) when his team was the underdog.

This is a guy you can root for! And Dungey has put on quite the show.

Now, with all of this prior attention, Dungey will begin the end of an era for Syracuse football. But it is only a beginning for him.

The 2018 season is a chance for Dungey to put on his best show yet in attempts to increase his draft stock for next year’s NFL Draft.

https://i0.wp.com/.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/thomson.jpg?fit=2000%2C1147

‘Cuse football looking to gain a foothold in Texas | Otto's Grove (.com; Kelly)

Now, I don’t think I need to tell you how big football is in Texas. You’ve gotten it hammered home in movies like Varsity Blues and Friday Night Lights (…and also the book and TV show of the same name). I live in Texas. I’ve seen the stadiums that get build for high school football.

Trust me when I say: yeah, those movies are accurate. High school football in Texas is every bit as big a deal as they’ve told you.

And now, it looks like Syracuse is working toward gaining a foothold in the talent-rich state, which is an area that the Orange haven’t recruited much in years past. The original thought was that when Dino Babers came on board as the head coach, we’d see a little more of a reach into the Lone Star State, given his time at Texas A&M and later Baylor.

Louisville Football: Athlon Sports Ranks Puma Pass as the 10th best ACC QB (bigredlouie.com; Lane)

Louisville football has a new quarterback for the first time in three seasons, and according to Athlon Sports, he’s the 9th best in the ACC.

Athlon Sports released their college football starting quarterback rankings for the upcoming 2018-19 season today. With spring ball wrapped up for all programs across the country, the popular media outlet decided to rank college football’s (projected) starting quarterbacks from 130 to 1.

Just like every year several big time names have moved on to the professional ranks, including Louisville’s own Lamar Jackson. So I was curious of where Puma Passwould rank with no one really having much film to watch on the redshirt sophomore.

According to Steven Lassan of Athlon Sports, the rankings were put together by using factors such as career stats, having the starting position locked down, the potential to play at the next level, recruiting background (rankings, etc.) and talent.

After scouring through the first fifty names, starting at 130 and working my way down, I was shocked to see Puma ranked below numerous other ACC quarterbacks. I finally came across Jawon “Puma” Pass. His ranking…. #63. Making him the 9th best ACC quarterback.

Other

the-ice-cream-stand-amanda-hughes-1jpg-5c363d3a6fabc061.jpg

Downtown Syracuse has ice cream again, thanks to The Ice Cream Stand (PS; Pucci)

Downtown Syracuse has an ice cream stand again.

The hole opened by the closure of Gannon's Ice Cream's downtown location at the end of the 2017 season has been filled by The Ice Cream Stand, which opened Friday inside the Amos Building at 200 W. Water St., overlooking Clinton Square.

"It feels absolutely incredible," owner Amanda Hughes said.

This week, The Ice Cream Stand is open from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. until Friday. The shop will expand its hours starting next week, Hughes said, adding that the shop will be open seven days a week during the summer.

The Ice Cream Stand's hours of operation will be written in chalk on the sidewalk in front of the shop, as well as on The Ice Cream Stand's Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts and email newsletter.

Hughes originally opened The Ice Cream Stand in April 2016 at 7265 Buckley Road in North Syracuse, in the Chuck Hafner's garden center. She operated that location for two seasons before moving to Downtown Syracuse, where Hughes lives.